Hey Everyone.

My BlackBerry KEY2 froze and then started rebooting yesternight. It keeps going to the "BlackBerry Powered By Android" screen, then starts to load, then goes back to the same screen -- over and over. Every tenth time or so, it gets all of the way to the icons being displayed, but then goes back into the same cycle. Have been trying to get it to boot up normally for much of the last 24 hours, as I need to get some data off of it. Anyone have any idea at all how I might be able to do so?

Appreciate your time.

Thank you,
    Josh
    01-21-22 04:10 PM
    Hey Everyone.

My BlackBerry KEY2 froze and then started rebooting yesternight. It keeps going to the "BlackBerry Powered By Android" screen, then starts to load, then goes back to the same screen -- over and over. Every tenth time or so, it gets all of the way to the icons being displayed, but then goes back into the same cycle. Have been trying to get it to boot up normally for much of the last 24 hours, as I need to get some data off of it. Anyone have any idea at all how I might be able to do so?

Appreciate your time.

Thank you,
    Josh
    Are you currently using a device password?

If so, you're out of luck.

If not, you could try a non-wipe autoloader.
    01-21-22 04:11 PM
    Are you currently using a device password?

If so, you're out of luck.

If not, you could try a non-wipe autoloader.
    I have 4 digits, yes. Some times it lets me enter them, gets past that screen, and then goes back into the rebooting. Appreciate your time.
    01-21-22 04:19 PM
    I have 4 digits, yes. Some times it lets me enter them, gets past that screen, and then goes back into the rebooting. Appreciate your time.
    Well, you have your answer then.

But I would investigate your power button first before I use a wipe autoloader. It may be jammed. Bang at it for a while to see if it becomes unstuck.
    01-21-22 04:27 PM

But I would investigate your power button first before I use a wipe autoloader. It may be jammed. Bang at it for a while to see if it becomes unstuck.
    Thanks. It doesn't appear to be jammed. This seemingly happened out of nowhere last night.
    01-21-22 04:28 PM
    Thanks. It doesn't appear to be jammed. This seemingly happened out of nowhere last night.
    Could be a battery/charging issue, or some other hardware fault.

But the only thing you can personally do about this now, is try a wipe autoloader.
    01-21-22 04:31 PM
    Could be a battery/charging issue, or some other hardware fault.

But the only thing you can personally do about this now, is try a wipe autoloader.
    Which would lose all of the data, correct? Really care about the data more than the device. Had a Pixel 6 waiting to be used, but some of the data from the KEY2, like BlackBerry Notes, didn't transfer over when I set up the other phone a few weeks ago. Thanks again.
    01-21-22 04:34 PM
    Which would lose all of the data, correct? Really care about the data more than the device. Had a Pixel 6 waiting to be used, but some of the data from the KEY2, like BlackBerry Notes, didn't transfer over when I set up the other phone a few weeks ago. Thanks again.
    If you want to take it apart you could try unplugging the power/volume button ribbon cable to see if it's definitely not the power button. Next unplug the charging board connector (just below the battery) see if anything unusual happens. Just go along and plug things out from the main board like camera, proximity sensor, keyboard, and could also unplug the battery and plug back in to give it a bit of a jolt. Good luck.
    Last edited by Ben xfg; 01-22-22 at 05:14 AM.
    Trouveur likes this.
    01-21-22 09:40 PM
    If you want to take if apart you could try unplugging the power/volume button ribbon cable to see if it's definitely not the power button. Next unplug the charging board connector (just below the battery) see if anything unusual happens. Just go along and plug things out from the main board like camera, proximity sensor, keyboard, and could also unplug the battery and plug back in to give it a bit of a jolt. Good luck.
    Am not qualified enough to even try such a thing, but thank you.
    01-21-22 09:46 PM
    Am not qualified enough to even try such a thing, but thank you.
    There are disassembly videos on YouTube. It's really not all that hard if you have an exacto knife and a small Phillips screwdriver. Just go easy on the blue and white wire connectors.
    01-21-22 09:51 PM

Been working on this for quite some time. Every now and then, am able to get the KEY2 past the 4 digit code screen, open up an app, and then, within a few seconds, the entire device reboots. Been trying it repeatedly to get some notes off of the Notes app, but am assuming that there is no way to hook it up to a computer or anything due to the constant rebooting? Correct? As always, appreciate your time. Thank you.
    01-22-22 07:52 PM
    Been working on this for quite some time. Every now and then, am able to get the KEY2 past the 4 digit code screen, open up an app, and then, within a few seconds, the entire device reboots. Been trying it repeatedly to get some notes off of the Notes app, but am assuming that there is no way to hook it up to a computer or anything due to the constant rebooting? Correct? As always, appreciate your time. Thank you.
    You can hook it up and pull as much off as you can before it reboots.
    01-22-22 07:53 PM
    You can hook it up and pull as much off as you can before it reboots.
    Thanks. How do I do so?
    01-22-22 08:08 PM
    Thanks. How do I do so?
    Just plug it in.

If you don't have the USB drivers for your PC, here it is:

https://mega.nz/file/YVI0VKpR#38iPAM...Q2t1X-Ro2M82WI
    01-22-22 08:09 PM
    Thanks. How do I do so?
    To grab the notes? I don't think those are accessible from a PC.
    01-22-22 08:10 PM
    To grab the notes? I don't think those are accessible from a PC.
    True enough.
    01-22-22 08:12 PM
    True enough.
    They aren't? Thanks.
    01-22-22 08:18 PM
    They aren't? Thanks.
    That's why folks here have been advocating for a proper cloud-based notes app for ages - like Keep or OneNote, or countless others.
    Trouveur and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-22-22 08:20 PM
    That's why folks here have been advocating for a proper cloud-based notes app for ages - like Keep or OneNote, or countless others.
    Thanks. I used to like the fact that it wasn't in the cloud, at least before recently. Did hope it would have backed up when I connected my KEY2 to the Pixel 6 a few weeks ago as a part of the initial Pixel setup, but it didn't.
    01-22-22 08:37 PM
    is this problem resolved ?. I have exactly the same issue.
    03-28-22 06:45 AM
    is this problem resolved ?. I have exactly the same issue.
    @joshualebowitz might help get his attention.
    03-28-22 11:57 AM
    @joshualebowitz might help get his attention.
    Thanks. No, sadly, the issue was never resolved. BlackBerry connected me with the TCL/BlackBerry Mobile technical support team, but they were unable to help. Am now using a Pixel 6. Sorry to hear that @vchrung is dealing with the same issue.
    03-28-22 12:12 PM
    Thanks. No, sadly, the issue was never resolved. BlackBerry connected me with the TCL/BlackBerry Mobile technical support team, but they were unable to help. Am now using a Pixel 6. Sorry to hear that @vchrung is dealing with the same issue.
    Yeah too late to help, but maybe it will help others to see the importance of planning for a worst case situation of breaking or losing your phone. Some forethought can really help minimize a loss later.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-28-22 01:08 PM
    Yeah too late to help, but maybe it will help others to see the importance of planning for a worst case situation of breaking or losing your phone. Some forethought can really help minimize a loss later.
    Agree with you. Ironically, had been trying to back up the Notes app prior to this happening, but hadn't been able to get it to work. I was able to get a bunch of the older notes off of an older KEYone device. Then spent 3 days getting the KEY2 to stay on, for a minute at a time before rebooting, while I jotted down individual notes. Shortly thereafter, it stopped working entirely.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-28-22 01:42 PM
    What do you view as essential backup plans?
    I downloaded an SMS backup tool that seemed to work. It transferred all the SMS texts to the new phone.
    Most of the other stuff seems to have come over through google.

But - even for other folks besides me - what are the back up essentials? Might as well do the planning now since you brought it up. All of the phones will someday have a problem. So i am in on planning.
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    03-29-22 12:05 PM
27 12