It will be 4 years total from when the Key2 was released to when they cease being linked to BlackBerry. I was wondering if TCL ever promised Android 9 to grace this phone? It's a fantastically ****ty deal that we never got one OS upgrade at the end of the day still, but I was wondering where their heads were at

For the sake of ease, below is a timeline:

July 2018 - Key2 release

Aug 2018 - Android 9

Sept 2019 - Android 10

** Feb 2020 - TCL announces come Aug 31, 2020 they'll stop making BlackBerry phones but support services and warranty till Aug 31, 2022

Sept 2020 - Android 11
    05-03-21 01:01 AM
    it depends on your definition of promise is. in writing or in statement, no not that I recall. implied that because that's what all phones are supposed to get minimum 1 OS upgrade - totally.
    05-03-21 06:30 AM
    It will be 4 years total from when the Key2 was released to when they cease being linked to BlackBerry. I was wondering if TCL ever promised Android 9 to grace this phone? It's a fantastically ****ty deal that we never got one OS upgrade at the end of the day still, but I was wondering where their heads were at

For the sake of ease, below is a timeline:

July 2018 - Key2 release

Aug 2018 - Android 9

Sept 2019 - Android 10

** Feb 2020 - TCL announces come Aug 31, 2020 they'll stop making BlackBerry phones but support services and warranty till Aug 31, 2022

Sept 2020 - Android 11
    They knew before releasing the KEY2 that the viability of their deal with BlackBerry was in doubt.... there head was in "how do we limit how much money we are going to lose on the BlackBerry deal". Ending software development was one way to cut cost.

Updates were planned as there were some early "slides" that mentioned updates.... but by the time they got around to the lauch, that option had been pulled.

Is what it is...
    SalMan50 likes this.
    05-03-21 07:13 AM
    Yes, TCL publicly stated it would get one letter OS upgrade. They lied, as most Chinese companies do.
    05-03-21 07:51 AM
    Yes, TCL publicly stated it would get one letter OS upgrade. They lied, as most Chinese companies do.
    True, but at least they kind of made up for it by giving the NA KEY2 (and others if autoload) almost an extra full year of security updates.

This doesn't apply to the LE though.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    05-03-21 08:07 AM
    Show the actual public statement ie promise claim made to general public that could support actual claim for damages…….
    05-03-21 08:18 AM
    Show the actual public statement ie promise claim made to general public that could support actual claim for damages…….
    "The BlackBerry KEY2 is also part of the Google-led Android Enterprise Recommended program aimed at helping businesses select the best Android smartphone for their organization. With the Android Enterprise Recommended BlackBerry KEY2, business users can buy with confidence knowing they’re getting the most secure Android smartphone experience possible. This means meeting elevated requirements established and validated by Google, including timely security updates (which BlackBerry Mobile provides monthly), business-ready hardware features and at least one major OS update."

https://web.archive.org/web/20180614...n-icon-reborn/
    05-03-21 03:55 PM
    "The BlackBerry KEY2 is also part of the Google-led Android Enterprise Recommended program aimed at helping businesses select the best Android smartphone for their organization. With the Android Enterprise Recommended BlackBerry KEY2, business users can buy with confidence knowing they’re getting the most secure Android smartphone experience possible. This means meeting elevated requirements established and validated by Google, including timely security updates (which BlackBerry Mobile provides monthly), business-ready hardware features and at least one major OS update."

https://web.archive.org/web/20180614...n-icon-reborn/
    We’ve discussed this before. The wording as well as strategically placed commas determines the actual responsibility and liability of all parties. These situations are taught in Business Law 101 undergraduate and to all Law School 1L in Contracts 1 first month.
    05-03-21 04:21 PM
    Chuck Finley - I know you know a lot of phones and carriers but are you a lawyer too? there is a huge gray area, especially in products sold to the public where consumers are protected by very strong local statutes. Class action? we can get a $2 Google Play credit each and the lawyers can make millions.
    elfabio80 and Paulelmar18 like this.
    05-03-21 09:37 PM
    We’ve discussed this before. The wording as well as strategically placed commas determines the actual responsibility and liability of all parties. These situations are taught in Business Law 101 undergraduate and to all Law School 1L in Contracts 1 first month.
    Thanks Chuck Finley Esq., but have you ever heard of consumer protection and deceptive/unfair trade practices laws?
    05-04-21 12:01 AM
    Thanks Chuck Finley Esq., but have you ever heard of consumer protection and deceptive/unfair trade practices laws?
    Yes I have and that’s why the wording and the comma placement is so important. Anyone that would like to pursue any type of consumer protection or deceptive/unfair trade practices case would explain similar.
    05-04-21 06:23 AM
    Yes I have and that’s why the wording and the comma placement is so important. Anyone that would like to pursue any type of consumer protection or deceptive/unfair trade practices case would explain similar.
    My guess is some company had a contract with TCL that was missing a comma or two and thus forced TCL to at least offer these patches.

Yes updates were implied by the overall BlackBerry Android program and by Google's Android Enterprise program. But marketing and advertising have some freedom in this area... thus the warning of Caveat emptor applies.
    05-04-21 07:12 AM
    Any possibility we'd be able to PAY for LE updates?
    05-04-21 04:09 PM
    No. There is no one to pay.

Only TCL and BlackBerry can jointly provide the updates. One won't be sufficient.
    05-04-21 04:10 PM
    You can send me an envelope full of hundreds.
    05-04-21 04:42 PM
    I don't think we have to be so grateful to TCL. I believe Shawn contract that they have on the North American Arena requires them to provide updates and it would cost them a fortune I have somebody sit there and figure out who should get it and who shouldn't so they just put the thing out for everybody with North American variants and that's that... like I originally said when I learned of the upcoming emergence of the key² I was interested that Blackberry would decide to bring it out with a manufacturer mostly known for on television LCDs and LEDs and finally known for burner phones mostly sold for low-end providers in big box stores. Blackberry almost made it to the bottom at that point and get head that way subsequently.
    05-04-21 05:06 PM
    You can send me an envelope full of hundreds.
    I already sent them the fat envelope and I have the key to. The trouble is I still use the key to as my daily phone because, after buying the Titan, I dread picking it up let alone using it since my hands wind up hurting after trying to type on it and struggling with the boy bowls of the keyboard layout and errors that come of that and all kinds of other difficulties make the phone really function for me as a tablet. It also functions for me when the key to battery starts to go dead toward the end of the day and I have to put it on the charger. Furthermore my key² has already received a replacement brand new battery with the same specifications as the original does not really last as long as it used to. I've already gone to the various setting spots to look for battery consumption but only wind up being able to charge it effectively by restarting the phone every single time before putting it on the charge. I only charge the phone using a charge stand and it is not a rapid charger which is often reported as making the battery less long lasting. I just leave it on the charge stand which is rated as 10 milliamps and after a few hours it charges like a champ. That said, the Titan needs the whole night to charge on a qi charge pad that I bought specifically for that phone that dispenses up to 30 milliamps according to the specifications written on it and claimed by the seller. 2 back 30 mA device is connected a fast charge brick but the stand itself is the old one left over from charging my Priv and my Passport so it is not a fast charge rating.
    05-04-21 05:15 PM
    My memory tells me the key to came with Android 7 and upgraded shortly after to Android 8 and there it sits. I never saw a single thing to my memory that ever claimed that the key to would receive Android 9 ever ever.
    05-04-21 05:16 PM
    My memory tells me the key to came with Android 7 and upgraded shortly after to Android 8 and there it sits. I never saw a single thing to my memory that ever claimed that the key to would receive Android 9 ever ever.
    The KEY² and KEY² LE shipped with Oreo, and stayed that way.

The KEYone and Motion shipped with Nougat and got upgraded a year later to Oreo.
    05-04-21 05:19 PM
    KEY² and KEY² LE shipped with Oreo, and stayed that way.

The KEYone and Motion shipped with Nougat and got upgraded a year later to Oreo.
    Go figure oh, that's what happens when you use a BlackBerry for too long. Brain fog just like covid-19. But I must say my key¹ was purchased brand new and my key² was purchased almost brand-new from a reliable seller (it look like it never had been used) and already had Oreo on it and that's that.
    05-04-21 05:22 PM
    People once said the Playbook was promised BB10.
    howarmat and SalMan50 like this.
    05-04-21 06:54 PM
    People once said the Playbook was promised BB10.
    Thorsten promised it just prior to his engineers telling him it wasn't possible. Oops.
    SalMan50 likes this.
    05-04-21 08:01 PM
    Thorsten promised it just prior to his engineers telling him it wasn't possible. Oops.
    Still it shows that even a "promise" from the CEO's mouth doesn't really commit a company to offering an update, or expose it to legal proceedings.
    05-05-21 07:52 AM
    LOL. Okay, Chuck Finley Esq.
    05-05-21 12:09 PM
    LOL. Okay, Chuck Finley Esq.
    Until someone challenges the statement, and wins in court, it's very difficult to argue that TCL is liable for anything and didn't in fact craft said statement adequately.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    05-05-21 12:49 PM
32 12