Pretty much every phone ever made.

The net decline in performance is cumulative. You may not notice after only one update.
    I've never seen a device post-Android 8 perform worse after a single or multiple updates. I've owned probably 30 different devices in that time from many different manufacturers and your suggestion doesn't ring true. Sure, Android performance degrades over time but a factory reset will cure that if there are no underlying hardware issues.
    12-28-20 02:18 PM
    I've never seen a device post-Android 8 perform worse after a single or multiple updates. I've owned probably 30 different devices in that time from many different manufacturers and your suggestion doesn't ring true. Sure, Android performance degrades over time but a factory reset will cure that if there are no underlying hardware issues.
    Well, I guess we aren't on the same page when it comes to our expectations regarding performance.
    12-28-20 02:21 PM
    Well, I guess we aren't on the same page when it comes to our expectations regarding performance.
    It's interesting that you haven't provided a single example of reduced device performance due to an update. I guess there's not much to discuss if you will not provide specifics.
    12-28-20 02:24 PM
    It's interesting that you haven't provided a single example of reduced device performance due to an update. I guess there's not much to discuss if you will not provide specifics.
    But I don't know what to say - just basic sluggishness as each new OS becomes bigger (more memory and storage) and involves more compute cycles.
    12-28-20 02:30 PM
    But I don't know what to say - just basic sluggishness as each new OS becomes bigger (more memory and storage) and involves more compute cycles.
    It's like trying to define why water is wet....
    12-28-20 03:00 PM
    Huh? We're talking updates within a single device.
    It still demonstrates how OS upgrades aren’t optimized performance with earlier devices, especially mid -tier devices.
    12-28-20 05:35 PM
    It still demonstrates how OS upgrades aren’t optimized performance with earlier devices, especially mid -tier devices.
    How do devices that weren't updated demonstrate anything about how updates have a cumulative negative effect?
    12-28-20 05:52 PM
    How do devices that weren't updated demonstrate anything about how updates have a cumulative negative effect?
    The Key2 was optimized for Android 8.1 introduction while the KEYone was optimized for Android 7.1 introduction. The 4/64 BE KEYone handled Android 8.1 alright but the 3/32 SE KEYone not as much however compare with Key2 performance.
    12-28-20 06:00 PM
    The Key2 was optimized for Android 8.1 introduction while the KEYone was optimized for Android 7.1 introduction. The 4/64 BE KEYone handled Android 8.1 alright but the 3/32 SE KEYone not as much however compare with Key2 performance.
    In truth.... BlackBerry Mercury was "optimized" for Android 6.... as that was the OS that BlackBerry would have been focusing on back in the Spring of 2016 when the Mercury was finalized. That it sat around after Chen pulled the plug, and that TCL picked it months later and didn't bother to upgrade the hardware.... is a different story. But at least it did have Android 7 on it at that point. But yeah two years after it's design, Android really had evolved to needed at least 4GB of RAM for smooth operation (if you were going to run BlackBerry suite of apps anyway).
    12-29-20 08:32 AM
    In truth.... BlackBerry Mercury was "optimized" for Android 6.... as that was the OS that BlackBerry would have been focusing on back in the Spring of 2016 when the Mercury was finalized. That it sat around after Chen pulled the plug, and that TCL picked it months later and didn't bother to upgrade the hardware.... is a different story. But at least it did have Android 7 on it at that point. But yeah two years after it's design, Android really had evolved to needed at least 4GB of RAM for smooth operation (if you were going to run BlackBerry suite of apps anyway).
    Then again, the 4/64 Black Keyone runs quite well on Android 8.1, which goes on to show/prove that an upgraded Key2 would be fine on Android 9, at least.
    the_boon likes this.
    12-29-20 12:18 PM
    Then again, the 4/64 Black Keyone runs quite well on Android 8.1, which goes on to show/prove that an upgraded Key2 would be fine on Android 9, at least.
    For sure, even the Unihertz Titan with its MediaTek Helio P60 processor runs Android 9 just fine.
    12-29-20 12:56 PM
    I expect Android 11 would run just fine on the KEYone as well..... Sluggishness might come with having three or four social media apps running along with supporting your watch and powering your wireless earbuds with a some streaming service.
    12-29-20 01:04 PM
    My point is that a device is optimal at time of introduction for whatever OS version it’s released on. The next version of any OS will be optimized for the new improved components in the next device. It’s simply part of the “replace not repair” business model.

I’m not saying that previous device can’t run newer OS but depending on multiple factors, how well, is a wide spectrum...Unlike desktops and laptops, upgrading OS is less optimal because you can’t really upgrade components also..
    methodinsane likes this.
    12-29-20 01:13 PM
    My point is that a device is optimal at time of introduction for whatever OS version it’s released on. The next version of any OS will be optimized for the new improved components in the next device. It’s simply part of the “replace not repair” business model.

I’m not saying that previous device can’t run newer OS but depending on multiple factors, how well, is a wide spectrum...Unlike desktops and laptops, upgrading OS is less optimal because you can’t really upgrade components also..
    Yeah our work desktops struggled with Windows 10.... till we added some RAM and switched to SSD drives. Someone brought me an older laptop to look at fixing and it has a spinning disk. Thing takes 3-4 to boot, but another 10 mins to finish the rest of the "startup" process.

Haven't used a PC with a spinning disk for a while... I really wonder if Windows 10 is optimized for old spinning disk systems.

For the OP and the KEY2.... just enjoy it. If you notice some issues, then you might want to look into some general Android tips.
    12-29-20 01:27 PM
    I expect Android 11 would run just fine on the KEYone as well..... Sluggishness might come with having three or four social media apps running along with supporting your watch and powering your wireless earbuds with a some streaming service.
    I more often than not I have Whatsapp and FB Messenger (the full version) running most of the day, plus a couple of other apps. No sluggishness experienced.
    12-30-20 11:57 AM
    I more often than not I have Whatsapp and FB Messenger (the full version) running most of the day, plus a couple of other apps. No sluggishness experienced.
    Try running a modern device, even using a newer mid-range SoC, and then come back to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. Yikes.
    12-30-20 01:04 PM
    Try running a modern device, even using a newer mid-range SoC, and then come back to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. Yikes.
    But I did. From April 2020 till September 2020 I exlusively used the Samsung Galaxy A51 on Android 10. Mind you, this is a device I would haver never bought, but Vodafone gave it to me for free for renewing my contract; and I was curious to see what Android 10 was all about. So, while it was ok, it was nothing to write home about, and more specifically, it could not compare to BB10, even by a long stretch. That's for OS experience, not security-wise, as is your thing. So, after that I got that NOS Priv and later on the Keyone. And I am so glad I did! There you go then.
    12-30-20 01:18 PM
    But I did. From April 2020 till September 2020 I exlusively used the Samsung Galaxy A51 on Android 10. Mind you, this is a device I would haver never bought, but Vodafone gave it to me for free for renewing my contract; and I was curious to see what Android 10 was all about. So, while it was ok, it was nothing to write home about, and more specifically, it could not compare to BB10, even by a long stretch. That's for OS experience, not security-wise, as is your thing. So, after that I got that NOS Priv and later on the Keyone. And I am so glad I did! There you go then.
    I was referring to UX responsiveness - not form-factor preference.

Even with animations reduced and caches cleared, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ feels like navigating in molasses.
    12-30-20 01:20 PM
    I was referring to UX responsiveness - not form-factor preference.
    And I answered likewise. I was just not happy with that Samsung. As a second thought, I don't really like Samsung UI indeed.
    12-30-20 01:28 PM
    And I answered likewise. I was just not happy with that Samsung. As a second thought, I don't really like Samsung UI indeed.
    Well, I'm not a fan of One UI either for a number of reasons.
    12-30-20 01:29 PM
    Well, I'm not a fan of One UI either for a number of reasons.
    You can make One UI look visually pretty close to stock Android (or even iOS for that matter) via #hex themes.

If you were to put the Pixel 5 in power saving mode (which should reduce performance), is it really any snappier than a KEY2 not on power saving mode?

In other words, how much better is the SD765G on Android 11 compared to the SD660 on Android 8.
    12-30-20 01:34 PM
    You can make One UI look visually pretty close to stock Android (or even iOS for that matter) via #hex themes.

If you were to put the Pixel 5 in power saving mode (which should reduce performance), is it really any snappier than a KEY2 not on power saving mode?

In other words, how much better is the SD765G on Android 11 compared to the SD660 on Android 8.
    Well, we were discussing the KEYᵒⁿᵉ - not the KEY².

And why on earth would I throttle my cpu on purpose?

But to answer your question, even when I pick up my KEY² now, it feels like I'm operating in slow motion.

As per Android Authority's Pixel 5 review, they "didn’t notice any lag or slowdown with general usage (when compared to other more traditional flagships on the market)". They even went on to say that it's "a great phone overall, as it does the basics better than any other smartphone on the market."
    Last edited by conite; 12-30-20 at 01:47 PM.
    12-30-20 01:37 PM
    Even with animations reduced and caches cleared, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ feels like navigating in molasses.
    Yes, I clear cache regularly, but I haven't reduced animations and navigation is just fine. Maybe you are exaggerating a bit, I think.
    12-30-20 01:42 PM
    Yes, I clear cache regularly, but I haven't reduced animations and navigation is just fine. Maybe you are exaggerating a bit, I think.
    Everything is relative. When you get used to a certain level of performance, it doesn't take a whole lot of difference to make for a disturbing experience.

I even find the Nokia 5.3 with its 665 SoC (and Android 10 - soon to be 11 in the coming days or weeks), runs circles around the KEY².

Of course, to be fair, Android One is a very tightly optimized implementation of Android - right from the horse's mouth.
    12-30-20 01:44 PM
    Everything is relative. When you get used to a certain level of performance, it doesn't take a whole lot of difference to make for a disturbing experience.

I even find the Nokia 5.3 with its 665 SoC (and Android 10 - soon to be 11 in the coming days or weeks), runs circles around the KEY².

Of course, to be fair, Android One is a very tightly optimized implementation of Android - right from the horse's mouth.
    I think any KEYBerry would also be slowed down with BB Hub+ Services and the suite of BB apps.

Once those are all disabled (aside from the launcher and keyboard) it should help with performance.

With my usage, I don't really find a huge difference in performance between my OG Fold (SD855) and my KEY2...aside from gaming of course.
    12-30-20 03:13 PM
52 123