I think I understand now... seems like a way to access your keyboard shortcuts from any screen. So instead of going to home, hold the Grid key and press the corresponding keyboard shortcut.
    Hold and press or long hold to activate and press for one handed operation!
    04-30-18 10:08 AM
    Follow these steps:

Settings > Convenience Key > Add new shortcut > notice the same grid icon on "Open app". I'm sure this is the new convenience key, or possibly a second one.

Or it just opens the app drawer.
    04-30-18 10:42 AM

Or it just opens the app drawer.
    I'm gonna go with this..
    04-30-18 05:16 PM
    I am going to conjecture that the new key is related to Oreo OS. Although most of what you read about Oreo assumes that a phone is a glass slab, there is mention that Oreo supports keyboard short cuts in Chrome. So, access on the fly to keyboard and app shortcuts / functions seems possible.

Also, I am thinking that the new key will be an enhanced overview key that will allow a user to navigate between apps (using the capacitive keyboard, or touch screen) and to possibly select an app by clicking the key again to open / launch. That would be cool.

So, something like this:

Press overview key
    Opens menu of open apps
    Scroll to choose app
    Press overview key to open / launch app
    RK_BB likes this.
    05-01-18 08:24 AM
    I think the checkerboard key is a customizable key like the shift key it replaces.
    05-08-18 04:36 AM
    I need "functionality" on the go from my "communication device"- phone is only a part of it.
    I need to be able to respond to emails on the go - its impossible to use touchscreen for that purpose in any meaningful way. Try "copy paste" on iphone- a nightmare.
    Making a phone call from iphone is 5-6 clicks and taps- with BB I could assign shortcuts to the physical keys and out went the call.
    OR
    start typing contact name on keys and it brought up the contacts.
    Iphone- 5-6 taps- horrible "functionality" -or lack thereof.
    I will go back to BB in a heartbeat as soon as Athena comes out.Physical keyboard is what is required. Years ago, I was forced into giving up BB because back then there were no apps for medical stuff that are a must for me as a doctor. But now I hear that BB has come a long way in using Android apps. So it sounds like I can make the switch back to BB.
    I am a long term iphone user - and I am sick of it. I stopped "upgrading" at iphone 6- less features for more money.
    (Apple Bashing rant written from MacBook Pro2017 touch bar 1TB SSD, 16 GB RAM :-) )
    05-09-18 07:18 PM
    The teaser video puts emphasis on the mysterious new grid key... yet no closer to finding out its purpose.

https://m.crackberry.com/new-blackbe...eyboard-button
    05-24-18 12:02 PM
    <string name="custom_key_description_universal_shortcut">P ress the universal shortcut key and any letter key to quickly launch an app or perform an action from anywhere on your device. You can configure your shortcuts in the Shortcuts and gestures settings.</string>
    05-24-18 01:07 PM
    <string name="custom_key_description_universal_shortcut">P ress the universal shortcut key and any letter key to quickly launch an app or perform an action from anywhere on your device. You can configure your shortcuts in the Shortcuts and gestures settings.</string>
    So, a bit more detail... Can you describe some working examples of the universal key described above in action? What would be the difference between a long press on the keyboard to launch an app, vs. uni-key + letter key to launch? Shortcut actions seem handy, but what would be a real scenario within an app?
    05-24-18 02:59 PM
    So, a bit more detail... Can you describe some working examples of the universal key described above in action? What would be the difference between a long press on the keyboard to launch an app, vs. uni-key + letter key to launch? Shortcut actions seem handy, but what would be a real scenario within an app?
    Action from anywhere - not just from the homescreen.
    05-24-18 03:37 PM
    Is it not the Muffin Button?
    05-24-18 06:46 PM
    I am hoping the key allows keyboard shortcuts to be used anywhere. Currently on the keyone keyboard shortcuts only work on the home screen.
    05-24-18 08:35 PM
    This would be fantastic. Anyone remember this from the old Sidekick days?
    05-24-18 09:27 PM
    On screen Keypad for dialing the phone?

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    I think it will be this. Opens the dialer from anywhere. And might act as answer and end call?
    Last edited by europolska00; 05-28-18 at 01:33 AM.
    05-25-18 09:59 AM
    I think it will be this. Opens the diaper from anywhere. And might act as answer and end call?
    Diaper? LOL. Let's see if I'm right!!!
    Do I win a K2 if I am?
    05-25-18 10:15 AM
    I'm using Whicons on my KeyOne and noticed this..

It looks alot like the mysterious button of the Key2. Just a thought.
    Attached Thumbnails KEY2: New key speculation-422365.jpg  
    05-25-18 10:23 AM
    I'm using Whicons on my KeyOne and noticed this..

It looks alot like the mysterious button of the Key2. Just a thought.
    That's just a button to get to all your apps, even when not on homescreen

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    05-25-18 10:27 AM
    I think this new key is for flow. If you look at the screen you see that is no virtual buttons for home, back or recent apps. I think they anticipate keytwo to Android P and let that space for peak and flow like on my Z10, you need a empty area for that. Meanwhile, the new key will make the job, swipe left = back, press = home, double click = recent apps, or swipe up= home, swipe down = recent apps. Anything is possible. Will see...

Posted via CB10
    herr_tan likes this.
    05-25-18 10:31 AM
    Maybe they will remove it from the screen to extend the display.
    I do hope it's not just another convenience key.
    The only option that seems worth any hype is toggling the keyboard between swipe and trackpad mode.

Hit the button and the keyboard functions like the old trackpad allowing text editing and giving a mouse cursor in the browser.

Anything else doesn't seem worth being highlighted in the first place.
    It could possibly be a button to access multitasking. BlackBerry could enable turning off the capacitive buttons and using delete as back and space as home.
    anon(10337964) likes this.
    BlackBerry 10 assistant. It just keeps telling you over and over that bb10 is dead.
    Your are merciless, aren't you.
    Carjackd likes this.
    05-25-18 10:42 AM
    App Drawer it is.KEY2: New key speculation-how-bring-back-app-drawer-button-samsung-galaxy-s8s8.jpg
    05-25-18 11:36 AM
    App swap? The ability to shortcut between 2 apps, and perhaps bring up other app choices?
    05-25-18 03:02 PM
    here's my guess.
    new btn is app drawer
    they are bringing back the bb10 gestures
    no more capacitive or onscreen btns
    just not sure how the back btn will work and where it will be.
    05-25-18 04:00 PM
73 123