Howdy.

Now we know it's likely there will be no direct successor to the Key2 in the near future I'm interested in ways to look after and maximise the lifespan of my device.

Thoughts?

Physically;
    - Glass screen protector.
    - Decent case.
    - Magnetic USB cable.

Software wise;
    - Minimum apps, use web based where possible, lock down permissions etc. Disable those not needed.
    - I use CC Cleaner and Tuneup master once a week (is there any point?).
    - Clear apps regularly and hard reset every now and then.
    - Keep plenty of space free (currently <40% used).
    - Any benefit to antivirus once patching support ends?

Battery;
    - OEM charger only.
    - Keep charge between 30-80%?
    - Any benefit to draining occasionally?

I'm hoping to keep the device at least another couple of years. After that I recognise there will be some things like banking which will no longer be secure. I've no gripes really apart from the battery saver bar I can't get rid of, and I'm wondering how long my spacebar will last...

Any suggestions welcome.
    03-11-20 04:01 PM
    Software wise;
    - Minimum apps, use web based where possible, lock down permissions etc. Disable those not needed.
    I don't think there's any longevity benefit from any of these things.

- minimizing permissions is good practice but not to increase device longevity
    - I don't know anything about Tuneup Master but CC Cleaner is a waste of time. It's born out of an old school smartphone/Windows mentality that is not relevant today.
    - clearing apps isn't needed. The OS does that for you as needed and closing apps will actually slow you down when re-accessing them.
    - what benefit is free storage? Storage is there to be used.
    - Android antivirus apps are a scam.
    03-11-20 09:57 PM
    Howdy.

Now we know it's likely there will be no direct successor to the Key2 in the near future I'm interested in ways to look after and maximise the lifespan of my device.

Thoughts?

Physically;
    - Decent case.
    - Magnetic USB cable.
    Good ideas.

Software wise;
    Use NetGuard and lock down any apps that don't need internet access to function. I've done so recently and it gives me close to an hour more SOT than before.

Battery;
    - OEM charger only.

I'm hoping to keep the device at least another couple of years. After that I recognise there will be some things like banking which will no longer be secure. I've no gripes really apart from the battery saver bar I can't get rid of, and I'm wondering how long my spacebar will last...

Any suggestions welcome.
    It's always best to keep the battery between 50 and 80 percent, but IMO that's not being very efficient unless, like you, you want to keep using it for an extended number of years. Do NOT drain it completely if you can help it. This 'technique' was used more for Nickel Cadmium batteries as these could develop what is called a memory effect. Li-ion not so much.

Do you really benefit that much from having battery saver enabled all the time? I sure couldn't stand it but to each their own.
    03-11-20 10:02 PM
    Howdy.

Thoughts?

Physically;
    - Decent case.
    - Magnetic USB cable.

Software wise;

Battery;
    - OEM charger only.

Any suggestions welcome.
    My advice... don't drop the phone. Also don't drop the phone into water.
    to boldly go likes this.
    03-12-20 12:25 AM
    when you don't want to use apps just get BB10 lol
    Alfista83 likes this.
    03-12-20 05:29 AM
    Howdy.

Thoughts?

Physically;
    - Decent case.
    - Magnetic USB cable.

Software wise;

Battery;
    - OEM charger only.

Any suggestions welcome.
    I think you pretty much mentioned all of them.

I don't see what else you could do to help keep it running longer, aside from not using it at all which makes no sense lol
    03-12-20 08:02 AM
    Longevity.... buy a replacement keyboard and screen while you can. Not sure 12 Months from now you'll find replacement parts... as they used many of those to build these last devices.

As for patching... that seems to have already ended. Staying away from 3rd Party App store and sticking to well known Apps would be a must. But also need to monitor what vulnerabilities there are, so you know how your device might be affected.

Turn off Bluetooth and WiFi when in public.
    Do not use public access points.
    Use an up to date Browser and stay away from questionable websites.
    03-12-20 09:27 AM
    Longevity.... buy a replacement keyboard and screen while you can. Not sure 12 Months from now you'll find replacement parts... as they used many of those to build these last devices.

As for patching... that seems to have already ended. Staying away from 3rd Party App store and sticking to well known Apps would be a must. But also need to monitor what vulnerabilities there are, so you know how your device might be affected.

Turn off Bluetooth and WiFi when in public.
    Do not use public access points.
    Well it's not like the BB EU store or any official TCL channel sells spare parts directly.

Most are being sold on eBay or AliExpress through third party sellers.

Although yes they might not be very plentiful as time goes on.

A for-parts phone on eBay could also do the trick.
    03-12-20 10:07 AM
    Well it's not like the BB EU store or any official TCL channel sells spare parts directly.

Most are being sold on eBay or AliExpress through third party sellers.

Although yes they might not be very plentiful as time goes on.

A for-parts phone on eBay could also do the trick.
    I see one "for parts" listing... the screen is scratched and they want $100 for it. Which a lot of "for parts" phone have damaged screens, and the keyboard would be "broken in".
    03-12-20 10:30 AM

Do you really benefit that much from having battery saver enabled all the time? I sure couldn't stand it but to each their own.
    I don't like it but on days when I'm doing power intensive things like tethering I find I need it. On a day with average use I get 2.5hrs SOT and finish the day with >50% battery left.
    03-12-20 04:36 PM
    I take it Keyboard Browser is not a great choice these days then lol.
    03-12-20 04:41 PM
    Good ideas.

Use NetGuard and lock down any apps that don't need internet access to function. I've done so recently and it gives me close to an hour more SOT than before.

It's always best to keep the battery between 50 and 80 percent, but IMO that's not being very efficient unless, like you, you want to keep using it for an extended number of years. Do NOT drain it completely if you can help it. This 'technique' was used more for Nickel Cadmium batteries as these could develop what is called a memory effect. Li-ion not so much.

Is NetGuard better than Blokada? And do you go to a website or utilize an app?
    03-13-20 07:04 PM
    Good ideas.

I beg to differ with you about this.

I have always drained and fully charged my batteries and my batteries have always gone the distance.

My friends on the other hand charge their phone much more often and surprise surprise battery issues
    03-13-20 08:44 PM
    Is NetGuard better than Blokada? And do you go to a website or utilize an app?
    With NetGuard you can actually block selective apps from connecting to the internet either via Wi-Fi and/or cellular network. You can also see the connections each app makes instead of just one long host log like Blokada, where you have to guess which app did what.
    It's an app on the Play Store.
    03-13-20 09:38 PM

I have always drained and fully charged my batteries and my batteries have always gone the distance.

My friends on the other hand charge their phone much more often and surprise surprise battery issues
    Weird as there is evidence to the contrary as well...
    03-13-20 09:42 PM

You really should read up about battery packs.

Fully discharging individual NiCad cells would help recover from "memory effect" that NiCads are known for, but that only works with individual cells. Anytime you're using a multi-cell battery pack, regardless of battery type, you NEVER want to let the battery pack run below about 15%. The reason is because the battery pack is made up of multiple individual cells chained together in series, but the individual cells are never identical in capacity, and when the average of the whole pack is down to about 10%, there's a good chance that at least one cell in the pack is already at zero. What happens then is that the electrons from the other cells continue moving through the empty battery pack in what is now the wrong direction, and it will permanently damage that cell which greatly accelerates the decline of the entire battery pack. It only takes one damaged or dead cell in the pack to make the entire pack unusable.

On bigger battery packs - say, with DeWalt or Milwaukee drills or whatever, or even big packs like a Tesla car, it can be viable to have a battery pack serviced and the individual bad cells replaced, but with a smartphone battery, you end up having to replace the whole thing.

This process is quite well understood and documented, and most sites that refurbish battery packs will explain exactly what I wrote (perhaps in a better and more thorough way), but this is definitely the truth, and not just something "I heard".

03-13-20 09:45 PM
    I understand the explanation and science behind it.

My personal experience shows otherwise and I have plenty of people around me to confirm my way works.
    03-13-20 10:22 PM
    In my opinion, the key2 will depend your necessary app supporting. It not really need special “ protection “ to keep longstanding life.

I guess whatever use, the battery will decrease 20% capacity each year, at least.
    Alfista83 likes this.
    03-16-20 05:30 AM
    In my opinion, the key2 will depend your necessary app supporting. It not really need special “ protection “ to keep longstanding life.

I guess whatever use, the battery will decrease 20% capacity each year, at least.
    20% isn't my experience with my old Sony Z2 which is now 6yrs old. Holds charge for a week on standby still.

Another two years out of this device and I'll be a happy man.
    03-16-20 07:29 AM
    20% isn't my experience with my old Sony Z2 which is now 6yrs old. Holds charge for a week on standby still.

Another two years out of this device and I'll be a happy man.
    I guessed it base on blackberry phones. Other phone has there own design may lot better battery running.
    03-16-20 02:34 PM