I think it might be called "gravy."

Research the huge volumes and yet lack of profit margins in Android hardware. It’s well documented through white papers. Since North American carriers sell practically all of their flagship hardware on payments, consumers aren’t nearly as price sensitive. $1200 flagships are $40/month and that’s all consumers worry about.

Profits aren’t gravy, they’re main course.
    09-12-19 10:02 AM
    Research the huge volumes and yet lack of profit margins in Android hardware. It’s well documented through white papers. Since North American carriers sell practically all of their flagship hardware on payments, consumers aren’t nearly as price sensitive. $1200 flagships are $40/month and that’s all consumers worry about.

Profits aren’t gravy, they’re main course.
    I won't argue with you that profit is king. I was simply trying to make a point that the world has changed dramatically and the North American tech market isn't as critical as it once was.
    09-12-19 10:11 AM
    You do realize the bulk of HMD volumes come from the same feature type phones as well.

That’s been my point. Both companies are literally mirroring each other with similar failures and successes.

It’s like a 6 year old calling a 4 year old a little kid...
    Disagree. Nokia has the 3310, the banana phone and a newly released flip phone as well.

However, Nokia carry a full range of smart slabs ranging from a low specced Nokia 2 to the 5 camera Nokia 9.

Nokia is succeeding. Nokia has a good reputation and their sales are increasing in many markets. They provide solid hardware, solid support and regular updates that align with their company statements to potential / existing customers. These are the main reasons they are succeeding.

I don't see this with TCL. What I do see is a company that is not providing regular support, not providing solid hardware and is failing to to comply with their own statements at time of product release.
    09-12-19 10:23 AM
    I know that no one has to have the US Market... but I had hoped that Nokia would make a comeback here.

Just broke my S7, for family reasons I opted to get a XR like you (of course a few days before prices dropped - but work pays for it so... ). Got it yesterday and went ahead and installed iOS 13 (beta) on it. Dark Theme and gestures has taken me back....
    They're slowly gaining carrier support in the US, if they come out with a midrange 5G phone next year as expected I think that could speed things up for them. 5G could be the ticket for a lot of OEMs looking to find carriers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/05/ifa-...uawei-ban.html
    09-12-19 10:41 AM
    I know that no one has to have the US Market... but I had hoped that Nokia would make a comeback here.

Just broke my S7, for family reasons I opted to get a XR like you (of course a few days before prices dropped - but work pays for it so... ). Got it yesterday and went ahead and installed iOS 13 (beta) on it. Dark Theme and gestures has taken me back....
    I'll bet the width of that XR and non HD screen takes you back to '15-'16 as well. My daughter has an XR and to me it is just "meh" although @ 599 better priced. (For what one gets the 64GB should be no more than 399) The iPhone 8 @ 499 at least has an HD panel. Curious on your take of iOS vs Android longer term. Did you ever get One UI on your S7 with one touch "dark mode" or swiping gestures? Pretty slick on my S9. I have been using my son's iPad for some soccer coaching things. Video is good. Editing is ok (iMovie is not as robust as I thought) iOS 12.4 on iPad is marginal. (Hoping 13 ramps things up) I bought the 128GB and iCloud has been turned off but the damn thing keeps chirping at me to add more than the robust 5GB cloud storage Apple generously provides its paying customers "add 50GB more for just .99 per month" (I bought the 128GB to NOT pay them a subscription)
    09-12-19 05:41 PM
    Then why did they fight to get in bed with T-Mobile here in North America specifically USA market?
    The carriers here in NA are *** hats that F up Android updates for OEM's. Its a giant load of steamy crap. Thank God our ISP's don't control updates to our desk and laptop devices. I wish Samsung would "rock the boat" and push direct OTA's like Apple. If and when the update process changes it would help smaller OEM's and increase competition.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    09-12-19 06:01 PM
    The carriers here in NA are *** hats that F up Android updates for OEM's. Its a giant load of steamy crap. Thank God our ISP's don't control updates to our desk and laptop devices. I wish Samsung would "rock the boat" and push direct OTA's like Apple. If and when the update process changes it would help smaller OEM's and increase competition.
    Word. The mobile market in the US is so boring and lame. Apple and Samsung rule and the carriers will keep things that way.

Could you imagine if the auto market worked like that?! What a boring world it would be.
    09-12-19 06:14 PM
    Word. The mobile market in the US is so boring and lame. Apple and Samsung rule and the carriers will keep things that way.

Could you imagine if the auto market worked like that?! What a boring world it would be.
    Yet somehow the consumer either doesn’t agree or doesn’t care since to majority, in 2019, it’s just a phone and not some kind of symbol of status. All most care about is whether it does it’s job or not...
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-12-19 06:24 PM
    Yet somehow the consumer either doesn’t agree or doesn’t care since to majority, in 2019, it’s just a phone and not some kind of symbol of status. All most care about is whether it does it’s job or not...
    iPhones and Air Pods are not status symbols to middle schoolers? I beg to differ. 😎
    09-13-19 01:30 AM
    iPhones and Air Pods are not status symbols to middle schoolers? I beg to differ. ������
    LOL - I stand corrected
    09-13-19 04:13 AM

Bottom line... is what does Huawei, Oppo, Nokia or anyone else bring to the table that is exciting?

I'd like to see lower prices, but in the end with monthly payments... what's the difference in a OnePlus 7 and an iPhone XR? I was excited that T-Mobile was offering the OnePlus, but from what I hear it hasn't broken any records. So sadly I don't expect the other carrier's to be too concerned or feel the need to expand their lineups as I had once hoped.

As it stands consumers are choosing to move away from Moto, LG and Sony phones here in the US... so I'm not sure consumers really want more choices.

I am all for more options... but if it came down to it, I'd have picked the same phone. As the choice was more for the ecosystem - compatibility with my family than the device.
    09-13-19 07:46 AM
    Bottom line... is what does Huawei, Oppo, Nokia or anyone else bring to the table that is exciting?

I'd like to see lower prices, but in the end with monthly payments... what's the difference in a OnePlus 7 and an iPhone XR? I was excited that T-Mobile was offering the OnePlus, but from what I hear it hasn't broken any records. So sadly I don't expect the other carrier's to be too concerned or feel the need to expand their lineups as I had once hoped.

As it stands consumers are choosing to move away from Moto, LG and Sony phones here in the US... so I'm not sure consumers really want more choices.

I am all for more options... but if it came down to it, I'd have picked the same phone. As the choice was more for the ecosystem - compatibility with my family than the device.
    Huawei offers better pics than Samsung or Apple.
    09-14-19 07:02 AM
    Everybody needs this market regardless of how successful where they’re at. Look at the mainland companies and then ask why each of them attempts carrier relationships here and the rest of the West for the higher profit margins.

Nokia and every OEM wants to move upstream to where the real margins are. Ironically, the USA mobile carrier market is so intertwined with certain OEMs that it’s where all the profits come from. TCL, HMD and whatever other mainland OEM acronyms want those profits from phones bought on time payments.
    Well, Huawei in 2019 Q1 shipped almost twice as much devices than Apple (19% marketshare worlwide against 11%), without US market.
    09-14-19 07:10 AM
    I Sold My Red Key2
    Perhaps you may have seen my earlier Posts over the last few months - re. my concerns about the Key2...will it thrive on, or not.

I could not make a decision; so the RED one just sat unopened on my shelf.

Last week - for the heck of it - I posted it for sale @ $US1,400, not expecting any takers.
    I got 6 bids, finally selling it for $1,650...!

Six people definitely have faith.

And so, I'm still using my passport for my business email accounts - working just super.
    My App use and my personal email is now on the iPhone Max I bought last year this time for $700 off the full price, because my wife paid full price.

I'm still NOT an iPhone fan. Altho it is a "fast" device.

Perhaps the KEY3 will in fact be there in the future.

(I can't believe someone bought my RED for that price!!!)

Posted via CB10
    09-15-19 03:31 AM
    BlackBerry KEY Phones need a "There, there"
    When BlackBerry was still in the manufacturing phone business, I felt a distinct comfort in knowing there was a "There" there.
    Someone backing up their product, who I could communicate with.
    I don't see that today.

There's "some" manufacturer god-knows-where out there who may produce more KEY2's... or may Not.
    Or is there a different manufacturer out there who produces KEY2's just for Canada, & another just for India...etc...ad nauseum.

Does anyone know?
    Can I contact them to ask if there will be an updated program release soon?

Or will I suffer thru the slow death that I see with my Passport?

Sad

Posted via CB10
    09-15-19 03:42 AM
    Well, Huawei in 2019 Q1 shipped almost twice as much devices than Apple (19% marketshare worlwide against 11%), without US market.
    You can’t begin to compare a company partially owned and controlled by a Nation/State with companies that have to exist outside that system and say it’s an equal comparison. Regardless, when the USA carriers dropped the plans to handle devices it did cause huge profitability issues.

The USA is the most important market for profits, that’s a simple fact. There’s so much information and data in the mobile industry that repeats this over and over.
    09-15-19 06:46 AM
    I just received this message today from Blackberry Mobile support. Looks like security updates are still coming.

KEY2 ignorance-schermafbeelding-2019-09-16-om-17.16.44.png
    HabitodoMonge likes this.
    09-16-19 12:10 PM
    I just received this message today from Blackberry Mobile support. Looks like security updates are still coming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2019-09-16 om 17.16.44.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	446163
    All Key2 owners should be receiving updates etc. Unfortunately, this doesn’t mean anything since it’s just an evasive response.
    09-16-19 04:37 PM

I would expect such an answer from customer support. Even if they knew no more updates were coming, this is the response they would be directed to give.
    09-16-19 04:52 PM
    Detected Sept 2019 updates on
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1381535354

Anyone got it?
    09-17-19 08:56 PM

Pray Pray Pray it will not be only ONE MORE coming left
    09-17-19 08:57 PM
    August update skipped

September update arrived on 27.09.2019

October?
    Attached Thumbnails KEY2 ignorance-79505.jpg  
    09-27-19 04:59 AM