Contacts have always been very slow to load / search. Now they don't load at all.

I've "forced stop", restarted, turned off -waited - restarted ... all to no avail. I've cleared the cache. Still no joy. I still have about 22% space available.

Advice (not "lose your phone") would be really appreciated.
    11-22-20 03:32 PM
    Contacts have always been very slow to load / search. Now they don't load at all.

I've "forced stop", restarted, turned off -waited - restarted ... all to no avail. I've cleared the cache. Still no joy. I still have about 22% space available.

Advice (not "lose your phone") would be really appreciated.
    Which cloud source are your contacts synced to?

Clear cache for HUB+ Services and Contacts.

Reboot by holding down the power button for 32 seconds.
    11-22-20 03:48 PM
    Google iirc.
    11-22-20 03:50 PM
    Google iirc.

Also should be on my SIM as well.
    11-22-20 03:52 PM
    Which cloud source are your contacts synced to?

Clear cache for HUB+ Services and Contacts.

Reboot by holding down the power button for 32 seconds.
    I cleared both caches, and did the 32 second-hold.

I hadn't done the 32-second reboot before. The screen goes off, as expected, and as I continued to hold, it kept cycling through the boot screen. Is that correct?

After the reboot, tried loading contacts. This time, I didn't get the spinning wheel of "wait" , but the contacts did not appear.

I went to the bars-menu and the info is states total contacts (350) ... so it seems that I haven't lost the data, but the app doesn't seem to want to display any.

*update* ... went back into the app ... now getting the spinning wheel *and* under "views" the number of contacts is not appearing at all.

/facepalm
    Last edited by mngreen; 11-22-20 at 04:30 PM. Reason: update
    11-22-20 04:26 PM
    @ conite .... your really quick reply to my OP is really appreciated. never ceases to amaze me how much you put into this community.
    11-22-20 05:24 PM
    I cleared both caches, and did the 32 second-hold.

I hadn't done the 32-second reboot before. The screen goes off, as expected, and as I continued to hold, it kept cycling through the boot screen. Is that correct?

After the reboot, tried loading contacts. This time, I didn't get the spinning wheel of "wait" , but the contacts did not appear.

I went to the bars-menu and the info is states total contacts (350) ... so it seems that I haven't lost the data, but the app doesn't seem to want to display any.

*update* ... went back into the app ... now getting the spinning wheel *and* under "views" the number of contacts is not appearing at all.

/facepalm
    You describe a correct 32 second boot, yes.

You forgot to answer what the source of contacts are.
    11-22-20 05:53 PM
    You describe a correct 32 second boot, yes.

You forgot to answer what the source of contacts are.
    I had thought Google, but Contacts says there are only 32 contacts there. It seems the bulk are on my SIM and/or are Local.
    11-22-20 06:09 PM
    Thought I'd upload a screenshot, but I'm not seeing a way to do that.

I tried booting into safe mode. Not only did that not help, but it blew out all but a handful of my home screen app shortcuts - which did not reappear when I booted into normal mode.
    11-22-20 06:20 PM
    I had thought Google, but Contacts says there are only 32 contacts there. It seems the bulk are on my SIM and/or are Local.
    OK. Let's fix that first.

Select Local contacts, then go to settings (cog), contacts management, and export them. Then load the provided vcf file into google contacts on your PC.

Do the same for SIM contacts.

Once everything looks good on you PC, delete all local and sim contacts off of your phone.
    11-22-20 06:24 PM
    SIM isn't showing up in Views ... just "all", "custom" "local", and <email addess> which show only "import" options. None is offering "export".

Okay ... from Copy Contacts, it shows (only) local with the option to copy (only) to Google. I did *not* select the " delete after copy" option. It claims to be copying ... it has been several minutes.
    Last edited by mngreen; 11-22-20 at 06:40 PM.
    11-22-20 06:29 PM
    OK. Let's fix that first.

Select Local contacts, then go to settings (cog), contacts management, and export them. Then load the provided vcf file into google contacts on your PC.

Do the same for SIM contacts.

Once everything looks good on you PC, delete all local and sim contacts off of your phone.
    SIM isn't showing up in Views ... just "all", "custom" "local", and <email addess> which show only "import" options. None is offering "export".

Okay ... from Copy Contacts, it shows (only) local with the option to copy (only) to Google. I did *not* select the " delete after copy" option. It claims to be copying ... it has been several minutes.

It has been around 10 minutes of copying. Am I being too impatient?
    11-22-20 06:42 PM

It has been around 10 minutes of copying. Am I being too impatient?
    What contacts app is it?
    Maybe try a different app from the Play Store like Google contacts.
    11-22-20 11:27 PM
    What contacts app is it?
    Maybe try a different app from the Play Store like Google contacts.
    It's the native app that came with the Key2 load-in.

I don't mind a different app, but - even though they seem to still exist, I can't seem to get this app to back-up or export them.
    11-22-20 11:40 PM
    It's the native app that came with the Key2 load-in.

I don't mind a different app, but - even though they seem to still exist, I can't seem to get this app to back-up or export them.
    Which is why I suggest trying a different app to export your contacts. Once your contacts are safe we can dig deeper.
    11-23-20 12:09 AM
    Which is why I suggest trying a different app to export your contacts. Once your contacts are safe we can dig deeper.
    Ah! I hadn't understood that I might be able to use a different app to grab the contacts. Will try that tomorrow. Thanks!
    11-23-20 02:54 AM
    Also should be on my SIM as well.
    1. That's unlikely.

2. SIMs are VERY VERY limited when it comes to contacts. They can hold a name and a single phone number per contact, and IIRC are limited to 100 (or 99?) contacts. No addresses, no email addresses, no titles, relationships, etc. The concept of storing contacts on your SIM was a great idea in the mid-90s, when all you could do is make phone calls, but relying on SIM contacts in 2020 is insane.

There's a LOT of reasons why everyone uses cloud sync for contacts, and the severe limitations of SIM contacts is but one of them.
    11-23-20 12:24 PM
    1. That's unlikely.

2. SIMs are VERY VERY limited when it comes to contacts. They can hold a name and a single phone number per contact, and IIRC are limited to 100 (or 99?) contacts. No addresses, no email addresses, no titles, relationships, etc. The concept of storing contacts on your SIM was a great idea in the mid-90s, when all you could do is make phone calls, but relying on SIM contacts in 2020 is insane.

There's a LOT of reasons why everyone uses cloud sync for contacts, and the severe limitations of SIM contacts is but one of them.
    Thanks for your reply!

While it doesn't resolve my currently bricked Contacts app - this is very helpful advice. While don't love the idea of contacts (personal information) stored on a third party system, it seems that it may well be necessary.

It appears that the Contacts problem is not unique to me - there are numerous comments on the app's page in Play Store. Contacts still exist, but I cannot export / access / copy them as the app itself just hangs.

I've been wondering about doing a "uninstall updates" - but I don't know if this is a rational idea. And while it seems unlikely, I'm not positive that doing so won't delete my existing contacts.
    11-23-20 12:40 PM
    I would install another contacts app (Google Contacts?) and export them while you can. You may need to factory reset your phone.
    11-23-20 05:03 PM