Hey guys,

Been a while, but hope all is well. I had to purchase a backup Key2 as I somehow shorted out the MB on my original one that had been going strong for 2+ years when I was replacing a cracked screen, so I'm running my dual sim former backup phone (100-6) as my daily driver now, but still want to have a backup ready to go -- especially with inventory running low.

Bought a "like new" device on Amazon that was advertised as for the US and T-Mobile, but what came was a 100-4 variant, BUT a dual SIM variant, and none of the alleged China-google bloatware. It came running ACQ160, and works fine on TMO in the US.

I've seen conflicting info all around, including the google doc with the all the SW variants based off of HW variants, so I'm trying to determine whether or not I'll be fine with the 100-4 variant, or if I will run into problems with specific network bands, specifically with 2G/3G coverage in some backwater towns, and ESPECIALLY in Europe and Africa where I travel alot.

Any insight? I'm about to raise issue with the seller, but wanted to check here first.

Thanks guys.
    04-08-21 10:58 AM
    Hey guys,

Been a while, but hope all is well. I had to purchase a backup Key2 as I somehow shorted out the MB on my original one that had been going strong for 2+ years when I was replacing a cracked screen, so I'm running my dual sim former backup phone (100-6) as my daily driver now, but still want to have a backup ready to go -- especially with inventory running low.

Bought a "like new" device on Amazon that was advertised as for the US and T-Mobile, but what came was a 100-4 variant, BUT a dual SIM variant, and none of the alleged China-google bloatware. It came running ACQ160, and works fine on TMO in the US.

I've seen conflicting info all around, including the google doc with the all the SW variants based off of HW variants, so I'm trying to determine whether or not I'll be fine with the 100-4 variant, or if I will run into problems with specific network bands, specifically with 2G/3G coverage in some backwater towns, and ESPECIALLY in Europe and Africa where I travel alot.

Any insight? I'm about to raise issue with the seller, but wanted to check here first.

Thanks guys.
    Seems strange as the BBF100-4 shouldn't come with Google Services.

Seems it has been reconditioned/reflashed by the factory for the US market.

Given that, it's hard to comment, as this is not a known thing.

I sure wouldn't try to run an autoloader on it.

Just to be sure, type *#837837# into the phone dialer. What is the PRD?
    04-08-21 11:22 AM
    Seems strange as the BBF100-4 shouldn't come with Google Services.

Seems it has been reconditioned/reflashed by the factory for the US market.

Given that, it's hard to comment, as this is not a known thing.

I sure wouldn't try to run an autoloader on it.

Just to be sure, type *#837837# into the phone dialer. What is the PRD?
    Interesting re: reconditioning and reflashing. Sorry for the dumb question, but with that mentality, ALL Key2's have the same radio hardware inside them and it's the specific region programming that allows them to access certain radio bands?

Key2 China Variant (100-4)-img_20210408_0945216.jpgKey2 China Variant (100-4)-img_20210408_0945271.jpgKey2 China Variant (100-4)-img_20210408_0945424.jpg
    04-08-21 11:49 AM
    Interesting re: reconditioning and reflashing. Sorry for the dumb question, but with that mentality, ALL Key2's have the same radio hardware inside them and it's the specific region programming that allows them to access certain radio bands?
    The radio bands are all pretty close anyway, so you probably wouldn't notice - but there are differences.

In order to get ACQ160 on the device, it would have to have been done at the factory, since that OS does not have the correct signature to install on the -4 normally.
    04-08-21 02:04 PM
    The radio bands are all pretty close anyway, so you probably wouldn't notice - but there are differences.

In order to get ACQ160 on the device, it would have to have been done at the factory, since that OS does not have the correct signature to install on the -4 normally.
    So, essentially -- we have a mystery on our hands, but it should work! Ha.
    04-08-21 04:53 PM
    So, essentially -- we have a mystery on our hands, but it should work! Ha.
    Sure, unless it doesn’t......
    04-08-21 09:37 PM
    Sure, unless it doesn’t......
    Attached Thumbnails Key2 China Variant (100-4)-th.gif  
    04-10-21 08:06 AM
    Have no worries mate.
    Bought the same variant a few years back from the Blackberry store in Shanghai.
    The store staff "flashed it" on site to allow google services and all.
    Being using it since then all over the world and in Europe without any issue with band and network coverage.
    have a great day
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    04-12-21 08:44 PM