so is the galaxy s8 camera already considered bad? Since the Keyone was on par with it. Not to mention that the s8 cost about 800$ at the launch
    Had both phones. K1 camera was not even close in quality to s8. Not sure where you're getting your info.
    07-01-18 10:09 PM
    well it all started from the release of the iphone. it became less interesting to start talking about features blackberry was offering, due to popularity, and focus points from youtube reviewers became about camera specs and screen. and it grew and grew from there. If reviewers would try shift away from that and the mainstream, they risk losing subscribers and income. I havent compared the 2 cameras myself but i thought it was great on the keyone, great enough to take photos and scroll through on the album and for uploading to social media. i don't really bother for in depth image nitpicking. I'm not a photographer, like most of the cell phone users out there, and i'm sure the majority who use the camera is for the same purpose, selfie /snapshots during the day, and an upload everynow and then. however when it comes to specs between the 2 cameras, i will be giving my self an education tonight on what it all means , learning all the jargon that comes with it, to see on paper what should be the better camera between the two.
    07-01-18 10:40 PM
    Had both phones. K1 camera was not even close in quality to s8. Not sure where you're getting your info.
    I have seen online comparisons where in some instances the keyone camera shots looked better. So it's a hit and miss.
    07-01-18 10:41 PM
    Good amount of light
    Left picture taken with K2
    Right picture taken with K1
    Same settings, no HDR
    Zoom in to 100% Pixel size

07-02-18 12:30 AM
    Good amount of light
    Same settings, no HDR

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0635a7500b.jpg
    Must defintely be software related
    07-02-18 12:55 AM
    K1 has better camera.
    07-02-18 01:01 AM
    Must defintely be software related
    Yeah I hope they're working on that camera software update fast
    07-02-18 01:22 AM
    I carry Priv as personal phone and K1 Limited Black dual sim for work. I like/need PKB, period. But frankly both phones lag far behind in terms of camera compared to S8. Never tried other Androids before. Hit and miss with K1, sure, I accept that, but far behind S8, especially selfies. I dont take much photos, but occassionally I need to take good ones during holidays with family etc. I always end up using my wife's S8 and Note 5 for family photos, or even my daugther's S6 (!!). Sure K1 takes ok shots with enough lights etc (S8 is noticeably better), but lets not talk about low light conditions - OMG. I am very sad to read bad reviews on K2 camera performance, although I will end up buying K2 in any case as soon as its available within APAC, so I seriously hope its software issue with K2 camera. I dont need Blackberry with top of the line (Apple X or S9+) camera (I am willing to pay the price, though) -- but honestly I expected a lot from K2 dual camera set up.
    07-02-18 03:56 AM
    any photography experts here? i looked at the official specs between the keyone and keytwo. on paper, which should be better for outdoor/indoor low light. i doubt they'd add an extra camera for an over all poor experience.
    07-02-18 04:52 AM
    I have seen online comparisons where in some instances the keyone camera shots looked better. So it's a hit and miss.
    If you actually used both KEYᵒⁿᵉ and s8 together, you will definitely know that KEYᵒⁿᵉ camera is comparable to s5 or s6.... Not even close to s7.

I use KEYᵒⁿᵉ as a primary phone(typing email etc), and s8+ as a media phone (taking pictures, watching youtube, using android auto etc..). So I can tell with confidence that KEYᵒⁿᵉ camera is really far behind in comparison to s8+ in almost every scenarios. Yes, it takes similar quality picture under bright daylight outdoor, but thats still worse than s8+.

I can live with small screen in favor of pkb, but the massive lags with multitasking (hello? It is supposed to be a business phone?) and poor quality camera made me to carry two phones all the times. I can not depend on KEYᵒⁿᵉ for serious multitasking(excel, word, email at the same time while streaming music on the background is not even possible..... Apps always reload and lag during switching... Sigh) required for business at all.

I was glad to see that many reviewers saying multitasking is awesome with key2, but bit disappointed with the camera being compared to keyone.. No ****!

I already preordered mine through bestbuy since I like physical keyboard so much and key2 wouldn't lag like kiey1. Thus it will be my main business phone finally. And I really wish that the camera software fix would upgrade picture quality of key2 to the at least level of s7 or so. (Minimum standard of mine not to carry two phones....)
    the_boon likes this.
    07-02-18 07:04 AM
    It’s a smartphone camera not a SLR. I am sure that the low light and other shortcomings will get fixed with a software update just give them time. They must have done some testing before they released the key2 so I am sure they are aware of the problems. A company as big as TCL is not that stupid as to release a device with major issues.
    07-02-18 07:41 AM
    It’s a smartphone camera not a SLR.
    I am getting so tired of this argument. Nobody in their right mind would EVER expect a smartphone camera to deliver the same quality as a DSLR. That is solely your interpretation.
    I am sure that the low light and other shortcomings will get fixed with a software update just give them time. They must have done some testing before they released the key2 so I am sure they are aware of the problems. A company as big as TCL is not that stupid as to release a device with major issues.
    You put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. Small changes will not change the fact that it'll only add-up to dog $hit. Software changes can't make the outcome significantly better. We saw that with the Priv and with the KeyOne. Priv got new FUNCTIONS, but the quality of the of the pics and vids essentially stayed the same in those two years that updates were regularly released. The major problem now is that a dedicated camera team does not exist any longer. Smcv has left and TCL seems to see the camera as a finished project:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...nside-1122873/

That said, regarding the KeyOne it was even worse: the camera app now stopped existing as it's own app in the Google Play Store/on your phone, and any rare updates will only be pushed through with a software update. For the KeyOne that only happened ONCE: introduction of Locker mode; again, a function has been added. There never came an update to improve the quality of the camera. In other words, don't expect that they even can improve the photo/video quality and that there is a willingness in doing so (seeing the total lack of updates after the cam team and app stopped existing). At least with Smcv we still got new cool functions.....now nothing. As said, a finished project.
    07-02-18 08:00 AM
    Good amount of light
    Same settings, no HDR

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0635a7500b.jpg
    Just wondering, did you do the comparison on the phone itself, or did you transfer to your computer and do the pixel peeping? Or does both phone and computer shows same result?
    07-02-18 08:26 AM
    Both. You can see it on the phones directly, and if you transfer to PC it is even more worse :-)
    07-02-18 08:30 AM
    Ive also had both phones. In low light I would agree that the s8 is clearly better. In daylight they are comparable. I have taken similar shots with both phones and in daylight it was hard for me to tell if one was clearly better than the other. In low light the samsung was no doubt a better camera, but the keyone pics were accecptable in most situations. Im sure when I get the key2 the camera will be fine. When the keyone came out there were endless threads of what a crap phone it was on here and it turned out to be the best phone I've ever owned. The constant whining and people canceling preorders based on some random dudes bashing on a message board is laughable.
    07-02-18 08:39 AM
    I'm going for it. having the amazing keyboard and rocking a bit of nostalgia does it for me. phone shots I can live with for now. but if course a better camera for the Key3 would be awesome. Ideally Leica
    07-02-18 08:45 AM
    ive seen 2 videos of the camera compared to the s8 and s9, and day shots were almost equal, with key2 looking more natural at times. low light shots were mainly in favour of the samsungs. I rarely take low light shots so it's not a problem for me. But the shots i saw were taken on auto setting. i wonder if on manual they could be tweaked to look better. also noticed the key2 took more natural look shots while the samsungs were more saturated. since i have the keyone ill be waiting for the key3.
    07-02-18 10:55 AM
    I am not conviced at all that the KEYone camera is better than KEY2. Please see this other comparison.

Posting on this forum degrades the overal quality but looking at the full pic is possible to see how colors are much more lifelike from the KEY2 (on the right).

Once you zoom in 100% you can still see higher contrast but also some compression artifacts. In other words it looks like the software on the KEY2 is compressing more the pic. This seems to be confirmed by earlier posts where the size of the pic is consinstetly smaller with KEY2.

I would love someon from TCL to intervene in this post and let us know if that is the case. I suscpect that a software update can easily fix the compression and give us much better pics..
    Attached Thumbnails Is the KEY2 camera better than the KEYone's?-old-port-comparison-100-zoom.jpg   Is the KEY2 camera better than the KEYone's?-old-port-comparison.jpg  
    BeautyEh likes this.
    07-02-18 11:25 AM
    And for those who want low light comparison, here we are: left KEYone right KEY2.

Colors are much more lifelike in the KEY2; KEY2 appears to have less details but also less noise than KEYone in the 100% zoomed in comparison

The overal picture look better with the KEY2.

Let me know your comments..
    Attached Thumbnails Is the KEY2 camera better than the KEYone's?-low-light-comparison-100-zoom.jpg   Is the KEY2 camera better than the KEYone's?-low-light-comparison.jpg  
    07-02-18 11:37 AM
    I am getting so tired of this argument. Nobody in their right mind would EVER expect a smartphone camera to deliver the same quality as a DSLR. That is solely your interpretation.

You put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. Small changes will not change the fact that it'll only add-up to dog $hit. Software changes can't make the outcome significantly better. We saw that with the Priv and with the KeyOne. Priv got new FUNCTIONS, but the quality of the of the pics and vids essentially stayed the same in those two years that updates were regularly released. The major problem now is that a dedicated camera team does not exist any longer. Smcv has left and TCL seems to see the camera as a finished project:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...nside-1122873/

That said, regarding the KeyOne it was even worse: the camera app now stopped existing as it's own app in the Google Play Store/on your phone, and any rare updates will only be pushed through with a software update. For the KeyOne that only happened ONCE: introduction of Locker mode; again, a function has been added. There never came an update to improve the quality of the camera. In other words, don't expect that they even can improve the photo/video quality and that there is a willingness in doing so (seeing the total lack of updates after the cam team and app stopped existing). At least with Smcv we still got new cool functions.....now nothing. As said, a finished project.
    Yes I was discussing this exact issue with conite and thurask on a different thread. The camera App doesn't appear to have been updated at all by BBMo, other than the locker feature being added. If that is how they are going to do things I would prefer they enable Google's camera and just use the same sensor as the Pixel devices going forward. At least that way they won't have to take any flack for camera support (or lack thereof).
    WT44 likes this.
    07-02-18 11:52 AM
    If that is how they are going to do things I would prefer they enable Google's camera and just use the same sensor as the Pixel devices going forward. At least that way they won't have to take any flack for camera support (or lack thereof).
    I don't think it's as easy as "enabling" Google's Camera app. I would assume Google does not want all the R&D they invested into it to all of a sudden be "enabled" on another device. But even if they did, I would also assume ridiculously HUGE licensing fees.
    07-02-18 12:14 PM
    I don't think it's as easy as "enabling" Google's Camera app. I would assume Google does not want all the R&D they invested into it to all of a sudden be "enabled" on another device. But even if they did, I would also assume ridiculously HUGE licensing fees.
    So what's better? The status quo and having TCL charge premium prices and invest next to nothing in camera app development? Personally I had much more confidence in the BlackBerry camera app when there was some accountability...though even then, it wasn't great. Better to outsource and pay the licencing fees then, than have TCL tinker with what was already a mediocre app and burying it into the OS.
    deiop likes this.
    07-02-18 12:31 PM
    Full acc. The camera (or camera app) is really annoying.

There should be some investigation from BB or BBM.
    07-02-18 12:33 PM
    So what's better? The status quo and having TCL charge premium prices and invest next to nothing in camera app development? Personally I had much more confidence in the BlackBerry camera app when there was some accountability...though even then, it wasn't great. Better to outsource and pay the licencing fees then, than have TCL tinker with what was already a mediocre app and burying it into the OS.
    Makes sense, but if it was possible to license google's camera app, wouldn't it have been done by now?
    07-02-18 12:40 PM
    07-02-18 12:50 PM
77 1234