When I had the KEYone and a friend of my bought the KEY2 we notice that his photo where more some kind of blurry/washed out and misses some sharpness. So he asked me and indeed also my KEYone was better and he returned his device and change it to a BlackBerry Black Edition and get some refund.

We both thought it has 2 camera's it should be better. This eve we talk to each other because my KEYone battery is not that good anymore and we think maybe after al software upgrades the camera should be better? Still we have our doubts also with the price

So my Question ? Is the camera better these days after all software update or still the same. SO if it is like that I maybe gone buy a BlackBerry KEYone Black
    03-24-19 05:10 PM
    When I had the KEYone and a friend of my bought the KEY2 we notice that his photo where more some kind of blurry/washed out and misses some sharpness. So he asked me and indeed also my KEYone was better and he returned his device and change it to a BlackBerry Black Edition and get some refund.

We both thought it has 2 camera's it should be better and we talk to each other because my KEYone battery is not that good anymore and we think maybe after al software upgrades the camera should be better?

So my Question ? Is the camera better these days after all software update or still the same. SO if it is like that I maybe gone buy a BlackBerry KEYone Black
    I prefer my KEY² camera to my KEYᵒⁿᵉ camera. Low light on both is meh, but well lit areas are nice, and the bokeh feature is a big plus.

The camera has had several minor updates, offering some small improvements.
    03-24-19 05:14 PM
    Before the KEYone I always bought every year a BlackBerry but it seems it stops right there and really like the keyone. I had Z10,Z30,Q5,Z3 ,Passport, Prive, DTEK50,Motion (wife) , Aurora (daughter)

I used two passport and still my fav. The Camera on that one was a drama and always had to made extra shots to be sure i had one good picture. So compare with that KEYone camera rulez

Still the price of 650 euro hold me back to buy the key2 .
    03-24-19 05:25 PM
    Absolutely - I got one of the first Key2's last June and I remember the camera stabilisation, low-light quality as well as good-light quality wasn't great either - but has improved greatly since updates, etc
    03-24-19 05:34 PM
    Depends.

Camera: has improved quite a bit during broad daylight and a little bit during low-light. Video is still meh, though: just like at launch, 1080p is jittery and pixelated when viewing on a laptop screen, while 4K distorts the colors (which can be a nice effect sometimes lol, but very unnatural).
    Battery: has worsened. Doesn't last nearly as long as it did at launch.
    Keyboard: gestures are still more of a miss than a hit, so I recently disabled them, sadly. But on the plus side, the speed key handling has been improved.'

Edit: and the screen still has touch sensitity issues.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 03-25-19 at 01:17 PM.
    03-24-19 06:28 PM
    Are the pictures more sharper then mixed in some blurness where I thought that before the software could be the problem using two camera's .
    Last edited by whatsever; 03-24-19 at 07:10 PM.
    03-24-19 06:29 PM
    Are the pictures more sharper then mixed in some blurness where I thought that before the software could be the problem using two camera's .
    Buy it and return it if you don't like it. Amazon has great return policies.
    Byrese and Jake2826 like this.
    03-24-19 07:24 PM
    I still prefer k1 camera over k2 but performance makes up to it.
    Byrese likes this.
    03-25-19 09:59 AM
    I have had my K2 SE since launch and the camera , IMHO, has been significantly improved.
    the_boon likes this.
    03-25-19 11:25 AM
    Nope still as bad. Keyone was way better.. This one has some weird aggressive correction /beautification that makes the pics blurry and over saturated.. Keyone was so good on manual mode.. The one thing I really regret about my switch is the camera
    skrble likes this.
    03-26-19 02:12 PM
    Nope still as bad. Keyone was way better.. This one has some weird aggressive correction /beautification that makes the pics blurry and over saturated.. Keyone was so good on manual mode.. The one thing I really regret about my switch is the camera
    Exactly.

We compared photos with a workmate who has some kind of super cheap Xiaomi (for like $220). The results vere absolutely on par.

I encourage you guys to NOT TO ACCEPT this simply by saying "it's ok". They screwed so much on all of us. This phone has ****ty camera and absolutely incomparable within it's class. It takes pictures much as like half price phones do, or even cheaper. Trash camera.
    03-26-19 03:34 PM
    Exactly.

We compared photos with a workmate who has some kind of super cheap Xiaomi (for like $220). The results vere absolutely on par.

I encourage you guys to NOT TO ACCEPT this simply by saying "it's ok". They screwed so much on all of us. This phone has ****ty camera and absolutely incomparable within it's class. It takes pictures much as like half price phones do, or even cheaper. Trash camera.
    I'll take an average camera over any other compromise I can think of on the device.

BBMo starts with what they think the market will bear. They then subtract the margin they need to (hopefully) stay in business. They then subtract the manufacturing, sourcing, distribution, marketing, and support costs. They then subtract an overhead distibution cost. They are left with what they have to spend. You do the best with what you have.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    03-26-19 03:40 PM
    I'll take an average camera over any other compromise I can think of on the device.

BBMo starts with what they think the market will bear. They then subtract the margin they need to (hopefully) stay in business. They then subtract the manufacturing, sourcing, distribution, marketing, and support costs. They then subtract an overhead distibution cost. They are left with what they have to spend. You do the best with what you have.
    I don't think it has anything to do with the cost. TCL never had good camera phone.
    03-26-19 04:05 PM
    I don't think it has anything to do with the cost. TCL never had good camera phone.
    TCL can always buy one. The point is, there are higher priority items with the money they have to spend.
    TgeekB and Vistaus like this.
    03-26-19 04:34 PM
    TCL can always buy one. The point is, there are higher priority items with the money they have to spend.
    Exactly.
    BlackBerry has never been about cameras and, now that TCL is trying to save their hardware, it is certainly not a priority.
    03-26-19 04:44 PM
    But the problem is when people confirm that their KEYone's camera was better (or even the Priv's in some cases).

It's the feeling of a step backwards that gets them frustrated.

If someone is coming from a BB10 or older device, then they would probably see it as a big upgrade.
    03-26-19 05:09 PM
    I don't think TCL can afford it. Look at Sony, they make camera sensor and still can't afford software.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    03-26-19 05:11 PM

OK. But now what?

Such decisions often rely on much more important aspects, which in the end really influence the sales (and hence the margin, provided you haven't screwed something which would add other unexpected costs). The key is that camera quality was MOST LIKELY not determined as a key factor, or just important factor. And such decisions are based from customer survey - unless the decision-making-board are dumb heads who read from a crystal ball.

Your comment is rather funny because you don't produce bread or eggs here. We talk about product which has to meet some requirements just ONLY to get a chance to be successful. Your simplified production theory might fit for some garage business or product which is rather simply, especially on B2B markets. But not something as complex as a smartphone category product.

Sorry, Conite. 20 cents for better camera are pretty sure important. But the trouble is somewhere else.
    Last edited by skrble; 03-26-19 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added quote
    elfabio80 and chain13 like this.
    03-26-19 06:00 PM
    OK. But now what?

Such decisions often rely on much more important aspects, which in the end really influence the sales (and hence the margin, provided you haven't screwed something which would add other unexpected costs). The key is that camera quality was MOST LIKELY not determined as a key factor, or just important factor. And such decisions are based from customer survey - unless the decision-making-board are dumb heads who read from a crystal ball.

Your comment is rather funny because you don't produce bread or eggs here. We talk about product which has to meet some requirements just ONLY to get a chance to be successful. Your simplified production theory might fit for some garage business or product which is rather simply, especially on B2B markets. But not something as complex as a smartphone category product.

Sorry, Conite. 20 cents for better camera are pretty sure important. But the trouble is somewhere else.
    The business model is quite simple actually - at least it is for a small device OEM in 2019.

There are no loss leaders, and you don't buy market share. Things need to be profitable from (almost) the start.

Shareholders have you on a short leash, and, in this case, it's only a 5 year licence agreement.

Does TCL feel they can bump the price another $50 next year to put in a better camera? Who knows? The problem is that if you ask 10 people what they would want TCL to spend the extra $50 on, you'd get at least 5 different answers. Some want AMOLED, some want an IP rating, and some want a 800 series SoC.
    03-26-19 06:20 PM
    But the problem is when people confirm that their KEYone's camera was better (or even the Priv's in some cases).

It's the feeling of a step backwards that gets them frustrated.

If someone is coming from a BB10 or older device, then they would probably see it as a big upgrade.
    I agree.. It is not about whether TCL can afford or whether BlackBerry was never about cameras.. It is more about a newer better version phone with a higher price tag but a new but worse camera.. They should have rather stayed with the Keyone camera and not tinkered with it. Also if I am paying for a flagship, I need atleast an average camera (might not be the best in class) and not a camera comparable or worse than a cheap phone.
    03-26-19 08:45 PM
    Also if I am paying for a flagship, I need atleast an average camera (might not be the best in class) and not a camera comparable or worse than a cheap phone.
    Right, but in 2018/2019, a flagship is more of a $750 and up device, under that I would say mid range.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-26-19 10:53 PM
    Right, but in 2018/2019, a flagship is more of a $750 and up device, under that I would say mid range.
    One Plus 6T is a cheaper buy or about the same price but is definitely a flagship.. But that's not the point.. TCL took a step backwards in terms of the camera for Key2 (Key2 is otherwise a great device). I think the Keyone had the best camera in any BlackBerry device thus far and it was a very good one especially in manual model. They just wanted to join the dual camera bandwagon and screwed it up in the process. Also mid range devices these days have better cameras.
    03-27-19 12:27 AM
    One Plus 6T is a cheaper buy or about the same price but is definitely a flagship.
    The Pocophone is an even cheaper buy with flagship specs. If we're going to base it just on specs, then high-end starts at 399 (Pocophone).
    03-27-19 01:04 PM
    The Pocophone is an even cheaper buy with flagship specs. If we're going to base it just on specs, then high-end starts at 399 (Pocophone).
    Lolz at Pocophone as the example for good specs at low price.

It's a forgettable slab with a high end snapdragon thrown in, it probably struggles with updates, doesn't have smooth software and/or bad software skin.

Throwing a high end chip in some low end chinese device is NOT enough to make a device premium.
    03-27-19 01:19 PM
    Lolz at Pocophone as the example for good specs at low price.

It's a forgettable slab with a high end snapdragon thrown in, it probably struggles with updates, doesn't have smooth software and/or bad software skin.

Throwing a high end chip in some low end chinese device is NOT enough to make a device premium.
    My dad's Pocophone is running LineageOS and it's really snappy :-)
    03-27-19 02:30 PM
83 123 ...