Sometime in the past 4 months, my Key2 stopped being able to configure call forwarding using either the standard **004 USSD/MMI feature code or using the Phone app's settings menu (Phone > Settings > Calls > Call forwarding > Voice).

When I try using the **004 feature code, I get the following error every time: "Call forwarding: Connection problem or invalid MMI code."

When I try using the Phone app's settings menu, I get the following error: "Call settings error: Network or SIM card error."

I initially thought this was an AT&T carrier-related issue, but today AT&T Tech Support asked me to try moving my SIM card into a different model of Android cell phone. To my surprise, it turns out that call forwarding configuration works just fine on that other phone using the same **004 USSD/MMI code! This appears to be specific to my Key2. AT&T has confirmed that there is no issue on their end.

Another odd thing is that it used to work on my Key2 on the same carrier. I am certain that I set up conditional call forwarding last year on my Key2 using the **004 feature code. I only noticed it is no longer working when I tried to change my forwarding number last month.

I have triple-checked that I am using the proper USSD/MMI feature code sequence, **004*1xxxyyyzzzz#[SEND], where xxxyyyzzzz is the target phone number). I have already tried using different target phone numbers; that is not the problem. And, I have tried using various other USSD/MMI feature codes (**21, **67, *004, #004, **002, etc.), and none of them seem to work on the Key2.

Any idea what is going on? Has anyone else had this issue with the Key2 on AT&T or another GSM carrier?
    Last edited by jon9999; 04-30-19 at 12:43 PM.
    04-30-19 12:30 PM
    Since it's so specific, I'd do a factory reset and see if that fixes it. Bit of a pain, but it's the only thing that I can think of to easily rule out all options.
    04-30-19 01:48 PM
    its also possible this worked and was later broken in an os update and never fixed? one option would be to flash to an older os?
    05-01-19 08:02 AM
    Since it's so specific, I'd do a factory reset and see if that fixes it. Bit of a pain, but it's the only thing that I can think of to easily rule out all options.
    Factory reset didn't change anything (other than lost sleep). Safe mode doesn't make a difference. I got a new SIM card from AT&T, and that didn't change anything either.

Can anybody confirm that this isn't a Key2-specific OS/firmware issue? If there are any other AT&T users out there with a Key2, can you please try opening the call forwarding menu in the Phone app (Phone > 3-dot menu > Settings > Calls > Call forwarding > Voice) and see if you immediately get a pop-up that says "Call settings error: Network or SIM card error"?
    05-01-19 12:36 PM
    Mine works fine no warnings like you are getting.
    05-01-19 12:40 PM
    Yes, my KEY2 (64GB, Silver) produces the same error message on Call Forwarding and Call waiting settings. And yes, I also have AT&T and the issue has been occurring for as long as I've had the device (around 4 months).
    05-16-19 09:28 PM
    I have the same issue on my KEY2 with an AT&T SIM. These services did work on both of my KEYone's (one is an AT&T branded and the other is a BBB100-7 . Every time I try to fiddle with that part on my KEY2 , I get the exact same error. I've only had my KEY2 for about a week so if it worked on a previous software update, I am unaware.

BTW, Thanks jon9999 for doing the legwork of a factory reset and replacing your SIM. At least we have those eliminated.
    Last edited by DanylW; 05-17-19 at 12:11 AM.
    05-17-19 12:00 AM
    My call forwarding on my Key 2 doesn't work also... never worked the few weeks I've had my device and I'm on att as well...
    05-17-19 02:51 AM
    I have the same issue with my old Key2 black started about 4 weeks ago and just like you called AT&T and not on there end and they did also send me out a new sim card which did nothing. Well fast forward and I order and receive the new KEy2 Red and switch everything over and still receiving the same error message, "Network or Sim card error" .

Now I found a way around this, as I have a business account with AT&T and I log into AT&T Premier website and go into settings and it will allow me to call forward my phone that way. Its a little more work but I just put the login on my phone screen.
    05-18-19 01:45 PM
    Hi all.

Having this issue on my Key2 LE on T-mo.

I know that I had this working as call forwarding is a must for me. Not sure when it stopped working but now I get the "Call settings error / Network or SIM card error" pop-up when I try to go into the settings.

I called T-mo and they eventually directed me to BB support who had me "CLEAR DATA" from my phone app settings -- didn't fix anything.

I guess I will go to the T-mo store tomorrow morning to replace my SIM card but I am not optimistic.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    06-08-19 09:48 PM
    UPDATE:

I put my T-mo sim card into my old dusty KeyOne -- all call settings work just fine. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Something is up with my Key2 LE. Calling Blackberry support again now that I know this. I have until 11pm Eastern.
    06-08-19 10:18 PM
    UPDATE:

Tried a new SIM card at the T-mobile store -- same bad result (Network or SIM card error).

Went across the street to the AT&T store for a new SIM -- same error.

Are we the only ones with this issue?

I did call Blackberry support again last night close to 11pm in NY. The guy said he's, basically, the only one around (he's in Mexico) and that he'd ask an IT guy on Monday and get back to me.

big SIGH
    06-09-19 05:12 PM
    UPDATE:

The Blackberry tech support guy tried accessing settings on an LE with AT&T sim card (he's in Mexico) and didn't get this error.

Blackberry is sending me a replacement Key2 LE (refurbished). I'm still under warranty (phone bought in December 2018) so they are sending first. Will see how this goes and will report back in a week.

Wasted my weekend on this. But far from my first rodeo. Blackberry life is sometimes hard.
    06-09-19 06:59 PM
    UPDATE:

Received my replacement Key2 LE in the mail (a refurb). Popped in my AT&T SIM card and went straight to the call settings after a reboot. Network or SIM Card Error -- again.

I am baffled.
    06-14-19 07:07 PM
    UPDATE:

Received my replacement Key2 LE in the mail (a refurb). Popped in my AT&T SIM card and went straight to the call settings after a reboot. Network or SIM Card Error -- again.

I am baffled.
    Is this considered an Enhanced Calling Feature or am I just confusing things?
    06-14-19 08:11 PM
    Chuck, thanks for your interest in this thread and issue.

Not exactly sure what "Enhanced Calling Feature" is but Call Forwarding is just the usual Call Forwarding that has always existed and, up until a few weeks ago, functioned just fine.

I keep getting "Network or SIM Card Error" on both AT&T and T-Mobile SIM Cards. Weird thing is the issue does not occur when I put the SIM into my old KeyOne.
    06-14-19 08:30 PM
    Chuck, thanks for your interest in this thread and issue.

Not exactly sure what "Enhanced Calling Feature" is but Call Forwarding is just the usual Call Forwarding that has always existed and, up until a few weeks ago, functioned just fine.

I keep getting "Network or SIM Card Error" on both AT&T and T-Mobile SIM Cards. Weird thing is the issue does not occur when I put the SIM into my old KeyOne.
    Hi Rufus. Enhanced Calling Feature include things like WFC, VoLTE and Mobile Hotspot for instance. They're not considered basic services and therefore aren't required to be supported on all devices by carrier. In the USA, no carriers have supported WFC on the Key2 for instance.

I'm wondering if this was Enhanced Calling Feature on your device and provisioned on your account. The most recent update may have broken compatibility of the feature. I'm sorry if this isn't helpful enough. I would speak with your carrier support to inquire along this possibility.
    06-14-19 11:45 PM
    FWIW, Motion on T-mo, and as I'm sure you all know, even with wifi-calling, neither call forwarding nor call waiting work until you shut off wifi. On mine has to have a pure cell signal. Then all is good.
    Last edited by scrannel; 06-16-19 at 03:13 PM.
    06-16-19 09:52 AM
    Did a factory reset. No good on my current AT&T sim -- still getting "Network or SIM Card Error."

I've exhausted my options at Blackberry support -- they said to call my carrier after I do the factory reset. Problem is that I've already called 2 carriers -- AT&T and T-mobile. No answers anywhere.

I have only ever had Blackberrys but I may have to get a Google phone until the Key3 now.
    06-18-19 11:40 AM
    Any updates on this error problem on call forwarding on Key2?
    08-29-19 03:15 PM
    Any updates on this error problem on call forwarding on Key2?
    Since it functions on the KEYone, it’s sounds like an issue with either US carriers blocking or not provisioning the feature on Key2 for whatever reason.
    08-29-19 10:22 PM
    using key2 in india and I can't seem to find the call forwarding option at all on 8.1.0.

this just keeps getting better, haven't received any monthly updates since December '18, OS update is something I don't even dream of anymore, and now this.
    can anyone confirm if it's my awesome BlackBerry or cuz of my network service provider ( I am using Airtel, which apparently is the BlackBerry of network providers in terms of services)
    09-04-19 01:04 AM
    I have Metro PCS and added the Call Forwarding option to my account yesterday. Didn't work. Called Metro PCS and they gave me a code to use. Didn't work. With hope in my heart, I disconnected WiFi, restarted the phone, and tried implement call forwarding using Metro's call forwarding code.
    Guess what. It didn't work.
    Pretty dang frustrating because I wanted to use the feature so I could forward calls to my Passport to use on occasion.
    Last edited by Jill Z; 09-17-19 at 02:29 PM.
    09-17-19 02:08 PM
    I have Metro PCS and added the Call Forwarding option to my account yesterday. Didn't work. Called Metro PCS and they gave me a code to use. Didn't work. With hope in my heart, I disconnected WiFi, restarted the phone, and tried implement call fowarding using Metro's call forwarding code.
    Guess what. It didn't work.
    Pretty dang frustrating.
    Even with carrier devices the KEYone didn’t support carrier devices. Some people got WFC to operate with some carriers on limited basis. I don’t think anyone had even that little success with Key2 at least in USA environment.
    09-17-19 02:30 PM
    Well...after 4 calls to Metro's customer service, I have my answers. I have enabled Call Forwarding When Busy, Call Forwarding When Unanswered (aka voicemail), and Call Forwarding When Unreachable.
    I can't enable Always Forward because, as I was informed on my final call to customer service, Metro does not offer that. At all.
    But to enable the others, this is what I did, and it's extensively set forth on the internet.
    Call forwarding if not reachable is set by going to the phone's dial pad and entering **62*[number you want call forwarded to, without these brackets]#. Don't forget the #.
    To set it for Busy, use the same procedure, except the code number is 67.
    For Not Answered, which would otherwise be your voicemail, the code is 61.
    For those of you who do have access to Always Forward, also known as Unconditional Call Forwarding, the code number is 21.
    I absolutely could not get these codes to work by entering them in the phone's Call Forwarding Settings menu.
    Good luck, all.
    09-20-19 05:40 PM