I see that there has no new threads on this so maybe the problem is no longer happening but certainly not from my Key2.

It is currently stuck in boot loop. Cannot access the boot menu. Did extensive online searches in various forums leading to me downloading Sugar, and even earlier desktop versions. Because phone is constantly booting, there is no chance to even recognize the device from the desktop.

I can completely shut it down (just hold power button for a while). But if I turn it back on, the cycle begins again.

Prior symptom to this was a low battery. Since then, I've charged it overnight (while it was looping), so I assume battery is now full. Plugging in the power cable when off, starts the boot loop cycle again.

Have tried various combination of physical keys (power off for 3 seconds, 12 seconds, 30 seconds, power + volume up, power + vol down, vol up & down, power + vol up + vol down) nothing works.

Prior to this, I had a keyOne. Occasionally would boot into the boot menu but that was as bad as it got.

I'm located in Malaysia. Phone model is BBF-100-2. No idea what OS version it had before it crapped out on me. Supposedly has local warranty (expires mid Apr 2021) but seller has not replied (yet) and couldn't reach anyone at the local Brightstar office.

Unfortunately, we're under the highest category of Covid lock down (due to a recent surge of infections) so non-essential services are either shut down or have to work from home - not helping the situation.

I'd rather try to fix this myself if possible even if seller will honor the warranty as the turn-around for a repair under current conditions might take forever!

I've looked at the autoloader sticky but can't figure out if it's of any use given that the constant boot prevents the desktop from connecting to the phone via the USB.

Blackberry website is of no help (seems a boot loop is more common than one would think - surely they should have posted something). I get it that this phone is nearing end of life but still sucks for something like this to happen given that there really isn't any other alternative for those looking for physical keyboards
    01-20-21 12:00 AM
    I see that there has no new threads on this so maybe the problem is no longer happening but certainly not from my Key2.

It is currently stuck in boot loop. Cannot access the boot menu. Did extensive online searches in various forums leading to me downloading Sugar, and even earlier desktop versions. Because phone is constantly booting, there is no chance to even recognize the device from the desktop.

I can completely shut it down (just hold power button for a while). But if I turn it back on, the cycle begins again.

Prior symptom to this was a low battery. Since then, I've charged it overnight (while it was looping), so I assume battery is now full. Plugging in the power cable when off, starts the boot loop cycle again.

Have tried various combination of physical keys (power off for 3 seconds, 12 seconds, 30 seconds, power + volume up, power + vol down, vol up & down, power + vol up + vol down) nothing works.

Prior to this, I had a keyOne. Occasionally would boot into the boot menu but that was as bad as it got.

I'm located in Malaysia. Phone model is BBF-100-2. No idea what OS version it had before it crapped out on me. Supposedly has local warranty (expires mid Apr 2021) but seller has not replied (yet) and couldn't reach anyone at the local Brightstar office.

Unfortunately, we're under the highest category of Covid lock down (due to a recent surge of infections) so non-essential services are either shut down or have to work from home - not helping the situation.

I'd rather try to fix this myself if possible even if seller will honor the warranty as the turn-around for a repair under current conditions might take forever!

I've looked at the autoloader sticky but can't figure out if it's of any use given that the constant boot prevents the desktop from connecting to the phone via the USB.

Blackberry website is of no help (seems a boot loop is more common than one would think - surely they should have posted something). I get it that this phone is nearing end of life but still sucks for something like this to happen given that there really isn't any other alternative for those looking for physical keyboards
    The method of getting to the bootloader menu is a bit different on the KEY².

Hold the power button down. When you first feel a vibration and see the BlackBerry logo on the screen, switch from the power button to the down volume button.

Now you can just use an autoloader.
    01-20-21 09:44 AM
    The method of getting to the bootloader menu is a bit different on the KEY².

Hold the power button down. When you first feel a vibration and see the BlackBerry logo on the screen, switch from the power button to the down volume button.

Now you can just use an autoloader.
    Nope. Doesn't work. Still continues looping. I let the battery die completely overnight (just let it keep looping) then recharged to full 100% hoping that a full discharge might reset things. Still same old same old.

Can't believe such a basic flaw such as this is still happening and no where is there a DIY solution (everything I've read so far has resulting in a return to manufacturer).
    01-21-21 06:50 AM
    Nope. Doesn't work. Still continues looping. I let the battery die completely overnight (just let it keep looping) then recharged to full 100% hoping that a full discharge might reset things. Still same old same old.

Can't believe such a basic flaw such as this is still happening and no where is there a DIY solution (everything I've read so far has resulting in a return to manufacturer).
    You're getting the timing wrong. It WILL work.
    01-21-21 07:32 AM
    With the device off, you can also just hold the power button & volume down key simultaneously. Eventually it should vibrate and if you continue to hold these two buttons down, it should enter the Fastboot menu, then release both buttons.
    01-21-21 12:03 PM
    Tried all of the above. Adjusting timing for the Volume Done after the vibration (before, during and after "Android" shows up), and also simultaneously pressing power & volume down when phone is off.

None works
    01-24-21 01:10 AM
    Tried all of the above. Adjusting timing for the Volume Done after the vibration (before, during and after "Android" shows up), and also simultaneously pressing power & volume down when phone is off.

None works
    Try the volume up button instead. That's the secondary bootloader menu.
    01-24-21 11:18 AM
    After more than 2 days, my Key2 has miraculously healed itself. The question now is what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

I'm still a bit clueless on how to use the autoloader and patches. Details on phone as below:
    Model - BBF100-2
    Android 8.1.0
    Security patch Jan 5, 2019
    HW version 9
    Kernel ver 4.4.78
    Build no AB0927 (interestingly isn't listed under BBF100-2 for the listed OS builds but BBF-100-4 onwards)
    PRD 63825-003

So now what?
    01-26-21 03:09 AM
    Ignore my last post. Managed to find post with instructions and the latest ACU282 Jan patch. Thanks Conite and everyone else. Still can't explain why previous tips to fastboot menu didn't work and how phone miraculously fixed itself.
    01-26-21 04:08 AM
    I am having a similar issue with boot cycling on my Key 2, tried loading the latest ACU282 Jan patch (flashall, i.e. with wipe). However afterwards it still boot cycles. Power button behaves normally and responds as if it was new. Device doesnt boot cycle at all when in bootloader menu, only when trying to actually start the phone. once in a while it will get further and actually start to boot, but generally it power cycles every 15-30 seconds. Any ideas?
    02-02-21 10:21 AM
    I am having a similar issue with boot cycling on my Key 2, tried loading the latest ACU282 Jan patch (flashall, i.e. with wipe). However afterwards it still boot cycles. Power button behaves normally and responds as if it was new. Device doesnt boot cycle at all when in bootloader menu, only when trying to actually start the phone. once in a while it will get further and actually start to boot, but generally it power cycles every 15-30 seconds. Any ideas?
    Seems you have some kind of hardware fault then.
    02-02-21 01:30 PM
    Seems you have some kind of hardware fault then.
    Thanks, any idea of where to start to look? The device doesnt boot cycle when in bootloader mode. Sometimes it will get further to the boot sequence and actually load the OS, but most times it just power cycles every 15-30 seconds. It just happened out of the blue, no physical or water damage to speak of, device was just charging overnight when it first happened.
    02-02-21 01:34 PM
    Thanks, any idea of where to start to look? The device doesnt boot cycle when in bootloader mode. Sometimes it will get further to the boot sequence and actually load the OS, but most times it just power cycles every 15-30 seconds. It just happened out of the blue, no physical or water damage to speak of, device was just charging overnight when it first happened.
    Could be anywhere really. Motherboard, power system, etc.
    02-02-21 02:23 PM
    Could be anywhere really. Motherboard, power system, etc.
    After some more diag, it seems as though the phone bricked itself after the physical memory was close to running out (or ran out). Then it went into this boot loop. Flashing the latest ACU282 autoloader using flashall (with wipe), didnt fix it.

Is this something people have seen before?
    02-02-21 03:44 PM
    After some more diag, it seems as though the phone bricked itself after the physical memory was close to running out (or ran out). Then it went into this boot loop. Flashing the latest ACU282 autoloader using flashall (with wipe), didnt fix it.

Is this something people have seen before?
    In the very rare scenario when an autoloader doesn't fix the problem, it's usually a hardware fault. Only thing you can do is re-download and run the wipe autoloader again, or have a phone shop open it and take a look at it - though they rarely find anything either.
    02-02-21 08:28 PM
    In the very rare scenario when an autoloader doesn't fix the problem, it's usually a hardware fault. Only thing you can do is re-download and run the wipe autoloader again, or have a phone shop open it and take a look at it - though they rarely find anything either.
    Thanks Ben, I tried the latest autoloader versions ACU282 (Jan 2021), and ACQ160 (May 2020), both which continue to boot loop after flashall or flashallnowipe, doesn't matter. I also tried an older ABT974 (April 2019) which would only boot to the fastboot/bootloader screen no matter what I did.
    02-03-21 08:32 AM