Any pre-installed apps that we can do without?

Wanting to keep the phone "clean" .
    07-14-18 01:08 PM
    Depends on what you consider bloatware. There's nothing that can't really removed or disabled except for BlackBerry apps.
    07-14-18 01:13 PM
    Any pre-installed apps that we can do without?

Wanting to keep the phone "clean" .
    First thing, I did was go to settings, then apps & then check which apps I can u install or just hit "disable"
    07-14-18 01:20 PM
    Cool. Others feel free to use chime in.
    07-14-18 01:24 PM
    We can uninstall BBM on the Key2 now (not merely disable it). Just did that as soon as it started contacting Chinese servers in the background.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-14-18 04:48 PM
    We can uninstall BBM on the Key2 now (not merely disable it). Just did that as soon as it started contacting Chinese servers in the background.
    What did you use to monitor this on android?

Posted via CB10
    07-14-18 04:53 PM
    Netguard - best app you can get for your phone. Its free, but well worth paying for to get all the features and to support the author.
    sorgo likes this.
    07-14-18 04:57 PM
    How about cache cleaning apps? Any other apps that are reputable to keep + clean phone?
    07-14-18 09:26 PM
    How about cache cleaning apps? Any other apps that are reputable to keep + clean phone?
    SD Maid.
    coffee-turtle and valer466 like this.
    07-15-18 01:42 AM
    I disabled or uninstalled most BB software. Such as the BB versions of calendar, contacts, etc. I just didn't see the value of using the BB versions when Google's first party versions were available.

I tried BB Hub but I use Google Voice heavily Anne the actual Outlook app, neither of which integrated well on my K1. So I disabled Hub, Productivity Tab, etc.

Also removed Password Keeper, Notes, etc. These apps have reviews that say data was lost during an update. No thanks!
    phuoc and jope28 like this.
    07-15-18 01:47 AM
    I wish I could disable preview and BlackBerry launcher. it's really annoying that it's running all time in the background when I am using nova
    07-15-18 04:49 AM
    I wish I could disable preview and BlackBerry launcher. it's really annoying that it's running all time in the background when I am using nova
    Why is BB launcher annoying if you're exclusively using Nova? How does it hinder your phone usage experience?
    07-15-18 05:05 AM
    It's annoying because it always starts in the background and is running out of whatever reason. Call it OCD, but it annoys me
    07-15-18 07:03 AM
    It seems Blackberry Preview has replaced Blackberry Help. if you look in the camera app settings, you'll see a little preview icon you can click, which might be why it cant be disabled.

looks like the Preview app calls back to this address: aota-blackberry.tclclouds.com/

But if you go into Preview settings and turn off all the update settings, it appears to stop making the connection.

I've also noticed a number of new qualcomm system apps, many of which are for analytics which I'm not super happy to see. Can't be disabled.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-15-18 07:40 AM
    What you heard about Password Keeper, like the cake, is a lie. Especially, since it has two methods of backing up. ☺

I use a mix of BB and Google PIM apps. Glad we have choices that fit our individual needs.

Also removed Password Keeper, Notes, etc. These apps have reviews that say data was lost during an update. No thanks!
    07-15-18 08:03 AM
    Great tips guys. Keep it coming!
    07-15-18 01:30 PM
    I disabled or uninstalled most BB software. Such as the BB versions of calendar, contacts, etc. I just didn't see the value of using the BB versions when Google's first party versions were available.

I tried BB Hub but I use Google Voice heavily Anne the actual Outlook app, neither of which integrated well on my K1. So I disabled Hub, Productivity Tab, etc.

Same here, except I don't use the Google versions you mentioned either. I try to disable all Google or BlackBerry apps I can get away with.

Then, replace with simple apps from F-Droid when possible.
    I know BlackBerry isn't a hardware company anymore, but the hardware and it being "relatively clean" Android is why I'm still a fan lol.
    Hopefully we'll also really be able to uninstall BlackBerry Messenger when we get Oreo on our KeyOne devices.
    07-15-18 02:12 PM
    I've also noticed a number of new qualcomm system apps, many of which are for analytics which I'm not super happy to see. Can't be disabled.
    Isn't this controlled by system / diagnostics menu? Did you check if you have sending diagnostics data turned off?
    07-15-18 07:36 PM
    Isn't this controlled by system / diagnostics menu? Did you check if you have sending diagnostics data turned off?
    Diagnostics is off in the menu - but that is for diagnostics to blackberry. Does not include qualcomm, TCL or the blackberry apps themselves which bypass this option and send telemetry on basic usage regardless.

Regarding the qualcomm system apps, I haven't seen any connections from them yet, so far they are dormant.
    07-15-18 07:41 PM
    Wait, if this is what the most secure device does, what do the xiaomis and ztes?
    07-15-18 07:44 PM
    Qualcomm Technology Reporting (QTR) -- Diagnostic Statistics

Pls, is this what you're talking about?
    07-15-18 07:50 PM
    Can't you block the app using blokoda? That's what I use to silence the band...
    07-15-18 10:11 PM
    Qualcomm Technology Reporting (QTR) -- Diagnostic Statistics

Pls, is this what you're talking about?
    Its one of them. If you look through the system apps you'll find a number of apps that collect or send analytics just based on their names.

Only way to block them is with something like Netguard. Not sure if Blokoda has the ability to handle this sort of task, from what I understand Blokoda is for advertising.

Note, after 3 days of monitoring Key2 connections, I'm not seeing anything new (still teh standard stuff contacting TCL for updates or android pool servers for time updates. I actually haven't had a Qualcomm connection attempt yet. On the key1, qualcomm would try to contact its gps server for satalite updates and to pass analytics a couple times a day.
    07-16-18 04:31 PM
    Its one of them. If you look through the system apps you'll find a number of apps that collect or send analytics just based on their names.

Only way to block them is with something like Netguard. Not sure if Blokoda has the ability to handle this sort of task, from what I understand Blokoda is for advertising.

Note, after 3 days of monitoring Key2 connections, I'm not seeing anything new (still teh standard stuff contacting TCL for updates or android pool servers for time updates. I actually haven't had a Qualcomm connection attempt yet. On the key1, qualcomm would try to contact its gps server for satalite updates and to pass analytics a couple times a day.
    You'd think that a BlackBerry would have an option to opt out of that stuff.
    07-16-18 05:04 PM
    You'd think that a BlackBerry would have an option to opt out of that stuff.
    Yea I agree. There are a few threads and discussions on this topic in the Keyone and Blackberry Android OS forum if you search Telemetry.

Blackberries may be secure, but they aren't very private in my opinion. Need an app like Netguard installed to truly monitor and control what is leaving your phone. Hopefully one day BB will add similar functionality to DTEK.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    07-16-18 05:09 PM
31 12