In all fairness, every BBAndroid device OS is already one year old (behind) newest Android when introduced. That's one recognized characteristic of the product since PRIV at 2015 introduction.
    Same could be said of the hardware in general. BlackBerry has been noticeably a year or more behind everyone else, hardware-wise, since the spec wars began really heating up around 2009-2010. And it continues today.
    06-25-19 08:56 AM
    It's too bad the international version of the phone doesn't include the small amount of bands the North American one includes. Maybe it costs a lot of money to include even a little more bands? <shrugs>. It would probably end all the supply issues in North America.
    RK_BB and Jake2826 like this.
    06-25-19 09:15 AM
    If you haven’t bought a KEY2 by now in USA or Canada, you weren’t going to buy one unless it was discounted heavily.. this has been tight inventory management unlike BlackBerry previously..
    Well, some of my niche clients use the Key2 (in the UK, not NA), and we always like the option of being able to buy a speedy replacement (in case another mobile phone gets dropped in the bath etc)
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-25-19 09:57 AM
    Well, some of my niche clients use the Key2 (in the UK, not NA), and we always like the option of being able to buy a speedy replacement (in case another mobile phone gets dropped in the bath etc)
    Yeah the idea that no one "needs" to buy a BlackBerry for the next six months is a little silly...

I can see limiting things to one model, but I don't see just giving up on a market... or it won't be here six months from now when you want to come back. Most likely they either misjudge demand and will have stock back in a few weeks..... or they are done.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-25-19 10:37 AM
    Several people here also believe that BBMo's future relies solely on the US market, and I'm really not sure why.

It seems like the brand name is much less tarnished over in the EU, and I would think they're selling decent in UK, France and Germany (heck they even bother with custom keyboard layouts for the latter two).
    I have no idea how they're doing in South America, Asia and Australia though.
    Because along the last two decades the entire EU was a smaller BlackBerry market than New York metropolitan area.

Highly doubt this has been dramatically changed since TCL took the lead.
    06-25-19 10:49 AM
    Because along the last two decades the entire EU was a smaller BlackBerry market than New York metropolitan area.

Highly doubt this has been dramatically changed since TCL took the lead.
    My impression is that that has changed quite a bit. Typically the US isn't even one of the first few markets to get a new Blackberry Mobile device.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-25-19 11:03 AM
    They're also training us to buy sooner rather than later...ie. ween us off the wait-for-the-price drop strategy. Buy now or you might not have anything to buy later.

Truth be told that kinda works with a loyal customer base like BB-heads.
    06-25-19 11:40 AM
    Only place to buy new right now is eBay and even then it's hard to find BF100-2.
    nucks26 likes this.
    06-25-19 01:30 PM
    When a company is practicing JIT, massmarket customization or whatever the the latest term, it's management knows well the line for profitability and opportunity costs. There's no business in making 1000 phones to sell 100 phones or 10 phones in already sold market.
    Byrese likes this.
    06-25-19 01:30 PM
    It's too bad the international version of the phone doesn't include the small amount of bands the North American one includes.
    There was some metadata around to suggest even more model fragmentation--on paper there's a BBF100-5, codename bbf100tmo, presumably for T-Mobile to sell.

I'm still waiting for it. I'd buy one immediately if it included LTE 71 (which the -2 does not have). Instead I bought a new silver -2 just last week.
    06-25-19 02:07 PM
    There was some metadata around to suggest even more model fragmentation--on paper there's a BBF100-5, codename bbf100tmo, presumably for T-Mobile to sell.

I'm still waiting for it. I'd buy one immediately if it included LTE 71 (which the -2 does not have). Instead I bought a new silver -2 just last week.
    It would be out by now. I'd stop waiting too.
    06-25-19 02:21 PM
    Does BF100-1 work in the US.? I believe that's the EU version.
    06-25-19 02:57 PM
    LTE bands 2/4/5/12 will get you a pretty long way, and all of the BBF100 models have them. Until recently I was using a Passport that doesn't even have 12, and life was livable too. (I think there's a lot of promise for rural buildout of 71 in places I care about, though, thus my forlorn hope to actually see the -5. But no, I'm not actually expecting it.) For US domestic use the big thing the -2 brings is LTE 66, which both AT&T and T-Mobile use. (Also 29 and 30 if you're on AT&T.)
    06-25-19 03:24 PM
    If you mean BBF100-1 (as it is listed on @conite's patch spreadsheet on google) then YES - very fast data download in Las Vegas (can't remember which US carrier I was using as all I'd done was pay my UK carrier for US coverage for a month).
    @glitchier my UK Passport was fine in the US too (though I was only in big cities if that makes a difference).
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 06-26-19 at 01:08 AM.
    06-25-19 05:30 PM
    If you haven’t bought a KEY2 by now in USA or Canada, you weren’t going to buy one unless it was discounted heavily.. this has been tight inventory management unlike BlackBerry previously..
    HaHaHa -- not true. I was seriously looking for one -- wanted a silver edition. I was willing to pay full price.
    06-25-19 07:42 PM
    HaHaHa -- not true. I was seriously looking for one -- wanted a silver edition. I was willing to pay full price.
    You know what he meant. Obviously there are a few exceptions.
    06-25-19 07:58 PM
    So then why didn't you get one the whole time it was available. You and I've spent time in small retail business doing festivals and shows. Every single event has someone that comes by multiple times and wants to buy something but doesn't over price, color, need or budget. All of a sudden, the last of the item gets picked up, sometimes right in front of them, and then gnashing of teeth and complaining that vendor didn't shelve more of the item.

If the production could be done in miniscule quantities, then perhaps something could be done. Next time don't wait so long to buy limited run hardware. There's been no surprise as we've been discussing tight inventory for the year the devices have been available.

Everyone complained about specs, price, camera and PKB issues. Now people are complaining the device sold out.
    Byrese, Jake2826 and Smokeaire like this.
    06-25-19 09:58 PM
    Interesting observation. You may be right about this.
    06-25-19 11:40 PM
    So then why didn't you get one the whole time it was available. You and I've spent time in small retail business doing festivals and shows. Every single event has someone that comes by multiple times and wants to buy something but doesn't over price, color, need or budget. All of a sudden, the last of the item gets picked up, sometimes right in front of them, and then gnashing of teeth and complaining that vendor didn't shelve more of the item.

If the production could be done in miniscule quantities, then perhaps something could be done. Next time don't wait so long to buy limited run hardware. There's been no surprise as we've been discussing tight inventory for the year the devices have been available.

Everyone complained about specs, price, camera and PKB issues. Now people are complaining the device sold out.
    Well, since you seem to want an explanation, I will give it to you. I didn't need a dissertation about not buying before now and fortunately I am not "everybody". Plus, I am not complaining because I knew I would find one eventually. I was planning for a long time to wait for the KEY3 since I have a perfectly good KEYone and PRIV. I also didn't want to spend extra money right at this time due to some other major expenses that came up. But there have recently been lingering rumors that prompted me to go ahead and get a KEY2. Among the rumors, this thread (plus there have been other rumors). A KEY3 seems a long way off.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13409355
    I just didn't want to be left with what would be a 3 year old (at best) BlackBerry KEYone before the release of a KEY3 (if it does get released in the US in a timely manner). I knew it would be a longer than normal wait. But it perhaps won't even be made available in the US until several months or even a year after release (given the pattern of releasing in different locals over several months).
    As I mused on these things, I found out that some unexpected money was going to be coming my way, from an old orphan bank account that needed to be closed (long story) AND it was almost exactly the amount needed for a nearly new KEY2 plus accessories. True story.
    I had already scoped out where I could buy a nearly new one after not finding any that were new (with my heart set on a KEY2 Silver) and found one in mint condition. It arrived today. It arrived via USPS and voila, the postman handed me that check at the same time to reimburse me for the purchase of it without touching our budget. Ah, the synergy...
    Last edited by Sigewif; 06-27-19 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Editing detail
    Bob80220 likes this.
    06-27-19 05:25 PM
    Well, since you seem to want an explanation, I will give it to you. I didn't need a dissertation about not buying before now and fortunately I am not "everybody". Plus, I am not complaining because I knew I would find one eventually. I was planning for a long time to wait for the KEY3 since I have a perfectly good KEYone and PRIV. I also didn't want to spend extra money right at this time due to some other major expenses that came up. But there have recently been lingering rumors that prompted me to go ahead and get a KEY2. Among the rumors, this thread (plus there have been other rumors). A KEY3 seems a long way off.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13409355
    I just didn't want to be left with what would be a 3 year old (at best) BlackBerry KEYone before the release of a KEY3 (if it does get released in the US in a timely manner). I knew it would be a longer than normal wait. But it perhaps won't even be made available in the US until several months or even a year after release (given the pattern of releasing in different locals over several months).
    As I mused on these things, I found out that some unexpected money was going to be coming my way, from an old orphan bank account that needed to be closed (long story) AND it was almost exactly the amount needed for a nearly new KEY2 plus accessories. True story.
    I had already scoped out where I could buy a nearly new one after not finding any that were new (with my heart set on a KEY2 Silver) and found one in mint condition. It arrived today. It arrived via USPS and voila, the postman handed me that check at the same time to reimburse me for the purchase of it without touching our budget. Ah, the synergy...
    If the original statement didn't apply to you, I'm not sure why you felt I was talking about you then and felt need to your original reply. I'm glad you got your device.

As far as the original statement goes, if the description fits you, then adjust your expectations if you plan on buying any BlackBerry licensed devices. It's obvious BBMo is serious about not having to sell heavily discounted hardware by not overproducing hardware to begin with. Shocking, I know, just shocking.
    06-28-19 07:18 AM
    It's obvious BBMo is serious about not having to sell heavily discounted hardware by not overproducing hardware to begin with. Shocking, I know, just shocking.
    But so if they use the same factories and assembly lines for BBMo devices as they do for TCL and Alcatel ones, then they don't mind it if they aren't always churning out batches of KEY devices at a given time right?

This is why I'm not sure why it's a problem for them to not have anything being produced for a period of time because they're using that same infrastructure for the other brands.
    06-28-19 12:47 PM
    But so if they use the same factories and assembly lines for BBMo devices as they do for TCL and Alcatel ones, then they don't mind it if they aren't always churning out batches of KEY devices at a given time right?

This is why I'm not sure why it's a problem for them to not have anything being produced for a period of time because they're using that same infrastructure for the other brands.
    There's some minimum level of production where the level of lost sales have to be greater than for covering expenses.

No different than a restaurant. The building costs the same whether open for breakfast, lunch, dinner or some combination these offerings. Having enough business to cover minimal staff and manager are part of calculation. There are just other considerations that cause BBMo to not produce since it won't be worth it.
    06-28-19 04:01 PM
    The stock they got in at the first of the month is already gone.... but then it was just older stock that had been moved around.

At this point, in the US the only device out there is the Best Buy Red KEY2 LE...

Unless Verizon has gotten some new inventory.... too me that's the biggest surprise. Verizon just added the LE to their business lineup, as BBMo seems to have end production of it?
    07-10-19 08:29 AM
    The stock they got in at the first of the month is already gone.... but then it was just older stock that had been moved around.

At this point, in the US the only device out there is the Best Buy Red KEY2 LE...

Unless Verizon has gotten some new inventory.... too me that's the biggest surprise. Verizon just added the LE to their business lineup, as BBMo seems to have end production of it?
    Amazon BBF100-2 black says back in stock July 11.
    07-10-19 08:33 AM
    Amazon BBF100-2 black says back in stock July 11.
    I wonder if those will finally be the newer post March 2019 batch
    07-10-19 09:09 AM
150 1234 ...