Has anyone seen a review yet that compares a KEY2 user audio experience (as opposed to just specs) to other devices?

My Passport with high end buds was an excellent audio device and it got a lot of use. The KEYone leaves much to be desired and I pulled my "stone age" Creative Zen Vision M media player out of the mothballs to get a decent music experience when out and about.

Just like those who would prefer a phone that also takes great pictures, I would like a phone that gives a great audio experience. Carrying around 2 devices, one of which (some would say, both of which 😂) looks like it should be in a museum, isn't my preference.

What have you heard?
    FF22 likes this.
    07-05-18 11:44 PM
    Bluetooth supposed to be way better, but not confirmation on aptx or aptxHD.

Reports of better DAC on 3.5 but have not heard and concrete specs to back that up.
    07-06-18 12:01 AM
    Has anyone seen a review yet that compares a KEY2 user audio experience (as opposed to just specs) to other devices?

My Passport with high end buds was an excellent audio device and it got a lot of use. The KEYone leaves much to be desired and I pulled my "stone age" Creative Zen Vision M media player out of the mothballs to get a decent music experience when out and about.

Just like those who would prefer a phone that also takes great pictures, I would like a phone that gives a great audio experience. Carrying around 2 devices, one of which (some would say, both of which ) looks like it should be in a museum, isn't my preference.

What have you heard?
    Mine seems a tad louder, but mostly same experience as KeyOne. Loses Bluetooth connection to Marshall Major III fairly often. Marshall Mode earbuds sound fine, also, included BlackBerry earbuds are not bad.
    07-06-18 12:03 AM
    I use the portable DAC dragonfly red. You connect it through an USB C adapter and you do not need to go around with 2 devices. Store good recorded flac files and you couple it with decent earbud and you will experience really good music.. https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red
    07-06-18 12:14 AM
    I use the portable DAC dragonfly red. You connect it through an USB C adapter and you do not need to go around with 2 devices. Store good recorded flac files and you couple it with decent earbud and you will experience really good music.. https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red
    Thanks for the tip.
    07-06-18 08:14 AM
    Bluetooth supposed to be way better, but not confirmation on aptx or aptxHD.

Reports of better DAC on 3.5 but have not heard and concrete specs to back that up.
    It should have aptx HD according to this website (which is accurate most of the time):
    https://www.bluetoothcheck.com/d/blackberry-key2

But indeed, no one confirmed using it yet.
    07-06-18 08:24 AM
    This is in developer mode if it helps KEY2 Audiophile Review-1530887759104.jpg
    UrbanGlowCam and jope28 like this.
    07-06-18 09:38 AM
    This is in developer mode if it helps Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1530887759104.jpg 
Views:	669 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	437575
    Is that screenshot from a K2? Interesting. Qualcomm doesn't even list HD for the the 660 chip, nor is the K2 listed on the aptx website. I am excited to try it out with my HD cans.
    07-06-18 10:20 AM
    Is that screenshot from a K2? Interesting. Qualcomm doesn't even list HD for the the 660 chip, nor is the K2 listed on the aptx website. I am excited to try it out with my HD cans.
    Yes mate. From my k2
    07-06-18 10:47 AM
    I'd be interested to hear how it compares to the LG V30, my current phone, which has the best sounding audio I've heard from any phone (though audiophile headphones, like my Sennheiser HD600s). Even if it can't match the V30, I'd be interested to know how it compares with more typical flagships like the S9 or the Pixel.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    07-06-18 10:49 AM
    That DAC looks very interesting!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-18 11:17 AM
    I have a Dragonfly and it is a real headache to have dangling out of the phone. The K2 is supposed to have a better DAC, though I don't know the specs.
    07-06-18 11:52 AM
    I have a Dragonfly and it is a real headache to have dangling out of the phone. The K2 is supposed to have a better DAC, though I don't know the specs.
    You can use a regular adapter and the dragonfly just remains attached to the phone or as opposite you can use a longer cable and bend the DAC behind the phone. Either ways it does not seem an headache..

Even the high end phones cannot compete with a dedicated DAC.. And I can assure you that you definitely hear the difference..
    07-06-18 05:12 PM
    This is in developer mode if it helps Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1530887759104.jpg 
Views:	669 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	437575
    Problem is that even when you select the APTX, the system goes back automatically to the standard codec. I do not think at this point APTX is supported
    jcrutchvt2010 likes this.
    07-06-18 05:14 PM
    Problem is that even when you select the APTX, the system goes back automatically to the standard codec. I do not think at this point APTX is supported
    I had the same problem. I'm going to test with an aptx device to see what options pop up if any
    07-06-18 05:18 PM
    I had the same problem. I'm going to test with an aptx device to see what options pop up if any
    You should test it, when connecting the aptx device for the first time. It should show a box saying: 'Use high audio quality: aptx'. Something like this image.
    Attached Thumbnails KEY2 Audiophile Review-151117.jpg  
    07-06-18 05:22 PM
    I'm upgrading from the K1 to the K2 because of the much better DAC. Think about it: dual oscilator support (44.4 kHz, 48 kKz), PCM playback, native DSD (i.e., SACD) playback.

According to the SD660 specsheet:

Audio
    + Qualcomm Aqsticâ„¢ audio codec
    and speaker amplifier
    + Qualcomm® aptX™ audio playback
    with support for aptX Classic and HD

https://www.qualcomm.com/media/docum...duct-brief.pdf

AQT1000
    Qualcomm Aqsticâ„¢ Hi-Fi DAC

The Qualcomm Aqstic Hi-Fi DAC (AQT1000) combines the best of both worlds in performance and power consumption—it’s focused on delivering the most authentic sound and most faithful reproduction of a musician’s recording you can hear on your smartphone and external Hi-Fi USB Type-C dongles and DACs. Because of the more simplistic DAC-only design, the AQT1000 can achieve an ultra-low THD+N—providing the audio purist with an uncolored listening experience. And it supports up to 384kHz/32bit PCM and Native DSD playback for enjoying content created for SACD (Super Audio CD) files.

Audio Playback

Playback Dynamic Range

122dB
    Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise (THD+N), Playback

-106dB
    Dual Oscillator Support, Playback

44.1kHz
    48kHz
    PCM, Playback

Up to 384kHz/32bit
    Native DSD support

DSD64
    DSD128
    Additional Playback Features

DoP Support (DSD over PCM)
    DXD support

30mW for high performance mode
    10mW for low power mode

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/aqt1000
    mtalinm and rolojr1 like this.
    07-06-18 05:29 PM
    This guy does a good audio review on devices.
    He has done his but you need to shell out $1 through Patreon.

Based on his review, the audio quality has received a big bump and its comparable to OnePlus 6.
    ZahidShad likes this.
    07-06-18 07:29 PM
    +1 for dragonfly red. Transforms your phone. Couple that with tidal HiFi and usbaudio app. Only issue is it sucks battery big time.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-06-18 07:47 PM
    I have a pair of aptx HD headphones but the Key2 BT codec defaults to system default in Developer Options and under settings for the headphones in BT it seems to think audio codec is AAC. Any ideas?

Edit the high res reproduction is okay
    Last edited by PDAJAH; 07-07-18 at 02:21 AM.
    07-07-18 01:59 AM
    It has Oreo so APTX/HD and LDAC should work just fine but you may need to enable in bluetooth settings. The KeyOne should also get these once it gets the Oreo update.
    07-07-18 02:01 AM
    It has Oreo so APTX/HD and LDAC should work just fine but you may need to enable in bluetooth settings. The KeyOne should also get these once it gets the Oreo update.
    Unfortunately, that is wrong. The official BlackBerry Mobile webpage regarding the BlackBerry KEY2 does NOT include aptX...
    07-07-18 02:20 AM
    Unfortunately, that is wrong. The official BlackBerry Mobile webpage regarding the BlackBerry KEY2 does NOT include aptX...
    The official page does not list _any_ bluetooth audio codecs, but I am pretty sure it supports some... so I am not sure that is 100% conclusive either... though I suspect you are correct.

I suspect TLC was too cheap to license the protocol (as the 660 supports it): I wish Qualcomm would let the end user license the protocol by just paying a fee. I would gladly pay a couple bucks for AptX HD.

People should list the devices they are trying with, just in case some devices do work. Anyone tried a pair of B&W p7's?
    07-07-18 04:05 AM
    The official page does not list _any_ bluetooth audio codecs, but I am pretty sure it supports some... so I am not sure that is 100% conclusive either... though I suspect you are correct.

I suspect TLC was too cheap to license the protocol (as the 660 supports it): I wish Qualcomm would let the end user license the protocol by just paying a fee. I would gladly pay a couple bucks for AptX HD.

People should list the devices they are trying with, just in case some devices do work. Anyone tried a pair of B&W p7's?
    Hmm, maybe I am mistaken but the webpage does list AAC as supported?

And I definitely agree with your suggestion that Qualcomm (and Blackberry Mobile) should offer the possibility of end users to buy a licence themselves!
    07-07-18 04:24 AM
    Over the same LDAC Sony headphones and same sample rate I compared the Key2 to my Note 8. The Note 8 is much better with dynamic sound and wider sound stage and better defined bass. Shame only BT codec AAC seems to work on the Key2.
    07-07-18 04:44 AM
129 123 ...