Key space BlackBerry K2 cleaning and maintenance-400008800631_353783.jpg

Personal experience. The space key stopped working rather abruptly as a space bar, not as a fingerprint reader. After trying with alcohol and compressed air, without success, I thought that the cause was not a crumb or other physical impediments but the cleaning ,done the day before, with a very damp cloth of water and multipurpose detergent (which are generally degreasers). A substance could therefore have entered the keyboard that had annoyed / damaged the contacts of the space key. I went online and typed 'antioxidant for phones'. Contact cleaner products have come out , also on Amazon, such as : Arexon circuit antioxidant, WD40 dry spray lubricant, CrC, Svitol etc. I was in a hurry, I didn't want to wait for a product to be delivered. I said to myself: "I can't make the situation worse than the current one, as the space key on my k2 is completely out of order (it only worked as a fingerprint reader). "Maybe something is needed that is the opposite of a degreaser?" . I looked in the house for a bottle of sewing machine oil (Singer type) and I poured a micro amount of oil on my finger. I ran my finger over a soft-bristled toothbrush, trying to lubricate all the bristles. Then, very slowly, I swept the brush back and forth on all four sides of the space key, tucking part of the bristles under the space key. Back and forth, back and forth, letting some bristles penetrate between the space key and the silver separator profiles of the keyboard , while scrolling. Subsequently, at the first test of the keyboard, I immediately noticed an important improvement. So I began to hope. I waited half an hour and repeated the operation for the second time, after another half hour for the third time, reaching an optimal result. The space key is now very reactive, it is more precise with the touch on the right side which, fortunately, is the one I always use, with my right thumb, to type lo space between one word and another.
    IN SUMMARY, if you need to improve the reading of the fingerprint, use a toothbrush slightly moistened with alcohol only on the upper surface of the key. If you start having problems with the 'space key', in the sense that it skips the space, you can go to a phone repair shop, equipped with a soft, clean and dry toothbrush, ask them to spray on the keyboard a little bit of 'cleaner contacts' and start brushing slowly, back and forth, penetrating at least a few bristles. For the bravest, I recommend buying an antioxidant / lubricant product, one of the ones suggested above, and proceed as I did, putting a very small amount on the toothbrush with soft bristles. Maybe you will be as happy as I was when I realized that the space key on my K2 had started working again. It was a bit of a risky experiment but the result was sensational !!!
    Rico4you, rarsen and elfabio80 like this.
    08-12-20 06:20 AM
    I'd think sewing machine oil would leave a residue that would in time cause dust to build up.....

Maybe report back over time with how things work out with the repair. I'm thinking that with scarcity of parts, fixing might be the only option for those sticking with the KEY2.
    08-12-20 11:27 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400008800631_353783.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	449254

Personal experience. The space key stopped working rather abruptly as a space bar, not as a fingerprint reader. After trying with alcohol and compressed air, without success, I thought that the cause was not a crumb or other physical impediments but the cleaning ,done the day before, with a very damp cloth of water and multipurpose detergent (which are generally degreasers). A substance could therefore have entered the keyboard that had annoyed / damaged the contacts of the space key. I went online and typed 'antioxidant for phones'. Contact cleaner products have come out , also on Amazon, such as : Arexon circuit antioxidant, WD40 dry spray lubricant, CrC, Svitol etc. I was in a hurry, I didn't want to wait for a product to be delivered. I said to myself: "I can't make the situation worse than the current one, as the space key on my k2 is completely out of order (it only worked as a fingerprint reader). "Maybe something is needed that is the opposite of a degreaser?" . I looked in the house for a bottle of sewing machine oil (Singer type) and I poured a micro amount of oil on my finger. I ran my finger over a soft-bristled toothbrush, trying to lubricate all the bristles. Then, very slowly, I swept the brush back and forth on all four sides of the space key, tucking part of the bristles under the space key. Back and forth, back and forth, letting some bristles penetrate between the space key and the silver separator profiles of the keyboard , while scrolling. Subsequently, at the first test of the keyboard, I immediately noticed an important improvement. So I began to hope. I waited half an hour and repeated the operation for the second time, after another half hour for the third time, reaching an optimal result. The space key is now very reactive, it is more precise with the touch on the right side which, fortunately, is the one I always use, with my right thumb, to type lo space between one word and another.
    IN SUMMARY, if you need to improve the reading of the fingerprint, use a toothbrush slightly moistened with alcohol only on the upper surface of the key. If you start having problems with the 'space key', in the sense that it skips the space, you can go to a phone repair shop, equipped with a soft, clean and dry toothbrush, ask them to spray on the keyboard a little bit of 'cleaner contacts' and start brushing slowly, back and forth, penetrating at least a few bristles. For the bravest, I recommend buying an antioxidant / lubricant product, one of the ones suggested above, and proceed as I did, putting a very small amount on the toothbrush with soft bristles. Maybe you will be as happy as I was when I realized that the space key on my K2 had started working again. It was a bit of a risky experiment but the result was sensational !!!
    This is a common problem with the K2.
    I have sent 3 devices back to seller (Amazon) due to the same issue.

I considered to buy a dual SIM 128gb K2... but at the end of the day means buying an outdated device and it is likely I will regret such decision.

So, I am moving to a flagship OnePlus.
    Keeping and eye on new PKB powered devices, maybe from Unihertz
    08-16-20 08:39 AM
    i bought my key2 one year ago and have the same problem with space key. i asked in repair shop, but they want cca 100 euro for a new keyboard...
    08-24-20 01:07 PM
    i bought my key2 one year ago and have the same problem with space key. i asked in repair shop, but they want cca 100 euro for a new keyboard...
    There are spare keyboards for like $55 on eBay.

Don't pay 100€ just for the keyboard.

If that price includes installation, try negociating a bit.
    08-24-20 01:14 PM
    yes, the price should be with installation.

key2 should have a warranty, but i am not sure if mediamarkt.de take it like a guarantee repair.
    08-24-20 01:20 PM
    yes, the price should be with installation.

key2 should have a warranty, but i am not sure if mediamarkt.de take it like a guarantee repair.
    If you have no choice, go for it. At least with them you'll have a guarantee on the repair job.

If you want to take a chance, then you could order the keyboard separately from eBay (which would take about two-three weeks to arrive) and then go to a nearby cell phone repair shop and have them swap it.
    08-24-20 01:45 PM
    This... I still have it
    Attached Thumbnails Key space BlackBerry K2 cleaning and maintenance-contact-cleaner.jpg  
    08-25-20 02:01 PM