Amazon has it again listed for sale https://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Un...UvbUpU13391315
    Right but it's not currently in stock
    05-16-19 05:40 PM
    Glad I pulled the trigger when I did... selfishly it's kinda cool to have a such a limited edition device. On the flip side, it's such a great phone it's a shame more people won't have a chance to get this particular version. The red is such an eye catching phone, it's great to bring awareness to BlackBerry
    05-17-19 03:49 AM
    What is that phone?
    Sold out or no longer available?
    A blast from the past, the Pearl Flip.... Have no idea why it's LISTED anymore. But then it would make a pretty retro offering.
    05-17-19 07:20 AM
    A blast from the past, the Pearl Flip.... Have no idea why it's LISTED anymore. But then it would make a pretty retro offering.
    Yeah, Best Buy bothers keeping the pearl flip in stock when NO ONE buy a BBOS again, but doesn't feel like restocking more of the KEY2 , LE and even KEYone ?

Lol
    05-17-19 08:48 AM
    Yeah, Best Buy bothers keeping the pearl flip in stock when NO ONE buy a BBOS again, but doesn't feel like restocking more of the KEY2 , LE and even KEYone ?

Lol
    It wasn't in stock, just an old dead listing that had not been removed. I just taught for a moment about I might actually buy one it it were a current device with today's ecosystem.... and that price.

As for the other devices, they have all three colors of the KEY2 LE. There is no listing for the KEY2 in any color.... what that means and who made the decision, is speculation.

But let's face a little reality.... KEY2 is almost a one year old phone that is still being sold for a premium. Does anyone really think that it's generating a lot of sales at this point? My guess is BBMo is adjusting production to match sales, which will result in "outages" via some channels - other channels may simply stop carrying them.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-17-19 09:07 AM
    It wasn't in stock, just an old dead listing that had not been removed. I just taught for a moment about I might actually buy one it it were a current device with today's ecosystem.... and that price.

As for the other devices, they have all three colors of the KEY2 LE. There is no listing for the KEY2 in any color.... what that means and who made the decision, is speculation.

But let's face a little reality.... KEY2 is almost a one year old phone that is still being sold for a premium. Does anyone really think that it's generating a lot of sales at this point? My guess is BBMo is adjusting production to match sales, which will result in "outages" via some channels - other channels may simply stop carrying them.
    Do those that are looking for the best PKB device really care that its now 10 months old?

I bet even the KEYone is still being sold by some retailers, and it's quickly approaching two years and it's still a very capable device.
    bh7171 and Elky64 like this.
    05-17-19 09:39 AM
    Do those that are looking for the best PKB device really care that its now 10 months old?

I bet even the KEYone is still being sold by some retailers, and it's quickly approaching two years and it's still a very capable device.
    Are their many PKB lovers... still not using either a KEYone or a KEY2?

There are "some retailers" still selling 9900 or the Classic (and KEYone as well, as it has join the ranks of "past" BlackBerry product)... which are capable devices. For whatever that is worth, it doesn't change the fact that a few big retailers are dropping the KEY2 (at least for now) and for even some colors of the KEY2 LE are now difficult to find.

But a 10 month old phone isn't selling the volume that a 1 month old phone sold. Which is the same for any hardware OEM... For a niche player like BlackBerry, you should expect some retailers won't be able to offer a product once it's sales fall below their internal requirements.

I was trying to give a somewhat positive reason of why that might be, without saying BBMo could be winding things down.

Either way, something is going on with inventory. Maybe TCL needed the production lines for something else?

As for the Topic and the RED KEY2... I would expect it will be back.
    05-17-19 10:16 AM

What about the Key2 Red which already being released three weeks ago. Is it a normal thing that a new device announced at MWC 2019 being discontinued that fast!
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    05-17-19 11:19 AM
    What about the Key2 Red which already being released three weeks ago. Is it a normal thing that a new device announced at MWC 2019 being discontinued that fast!
    Has it been discontinued though? Just speculation. My money is on this being an inventory shortage issue.
    05-17-19 11:23 AM
    Has it been discontinued though? Just speculation. My money is on this being an inventory shortage issue.
    Maybe TCL is currently making a lot more of these and they'll reappear shortly at Amazon (and hopefully Best Buy) ??

Man, these last few months have been full of speculation and silence.
    jmorgan456 likes this.
    05-17-19 11:27 AM
    Maybe TCL is currently making a lot more of these and they'll reappear shortly at Amazon (and hopefully Best Buy) ??

Man, these last few months have been full of speculation and silence.
    Well when my red KEY2 eventually arrives (hopedully sometime before George RR Martin finishes writing the Throne books), I'll let you know what the build date is.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-17-19 11:30 AM
    Well when my red KEY2 eventually arrives (hopedully sometime before George RR Martin finishes writing the Throne books), I'll let you know what the build date is.
    From the looks of it, I'd expect a mid-may build date
    05-17-19 11:38 AM
    From the looks of it, I'd expect a mid-may build date
    I'm willing to wait if it means getting a brand spanking new unit right off of the production line! With no new devices planned until Q1 2020 at the earliest, I won't mind stretching my current KEY2 LE Atomic for a few more weeks.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-17-19 11:43 AM
    My money is on the RED KEY2....

OT: Now more than ever I wish he'd finish... I expect the ending would be close to the same, but the journey getting there would make a lot more sense with some narrative and logic. But I think he's got the same issue the show runners had... how do you make these once crafty and cunning characters do dumb things. His "Meereenese knot" is worse now than it was ten years ago.
    05-17-19 12:01 PM
    or you wrote so many storyline you don't know how to bring them together and tie them up.
    jmorgan456 likes this.
    05-17-19 08:39 PM
    The only way for Canadians to order the RED Key2 is through PDA Plaza and interestingly it is currently showing for "PRE ORDER" only. Which means they're making more.

I have to say the way BlackBerry handled the release and distribution of this phone is disgusting. There's absolutely no way for Canadians (BB's home) to buy the phone except for one source. Ordering through Amazon.com is blocked for whatever reason. And all other options are bordering on $2000.

Thanks a lot BlackBerry, to do that to some of your most loyal customers.
    05-18-19 09:27 AM
    The only way for Canadians to order the RED Key2 is through PDA Plaza and interestingly it is currently showing for "PRE ORDER" only. Which means they're making more.

I have to say the way BlackBerry handled the release and distribution of this phone is disgusting. There's absolutely no way for Canadians (BB's home) to buy the phone except for one source. Ordering through Amazon.com is blocked for whatever reason. And all other options are bordering on $2000.

Thanks a lot BlackBerry, to do that to some of your most loyal customers.
    This is not a BlackBerry Ltd. device.

This is a TCL (China) device.

BlackBerry is just a software vendor to TCL.

The red edition is a limited-production limited-release. It will be hard to get for MOST people.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-18-19 09:30 AM
    This is not a BlackBerry Ltd. device.

This is a TCL (China) device.

BlackBerry is just a software vendor to TCL.
    Last time I checked the BlackBerry logo is on the phone. Not TCL. If they don't want to take responsibility or ownership of their brand name anymore then rebrand it as TCL and I'll adjust my expectations accordingly.
    05-18-19 09:33 AM
    Last time I checked the BlackBerry logo is on the phone. Not TCL. If they don't want to take responsibility or ownership of their brand name anymore then rebrand it as TCL and I'll adjust my expectations accordingly.
    You can do whatever you want in your own head, but facts are facts. TCL has licenced the brand name - it's theirs to do with as they see fit.
    05-18-19 09:35 AM
    Or you can just adjust your expectations to reality.

BlackBerry licenses the brand and tech to TCL. TCL decides (within the terms of the license agreement) what to do with them.
    05-18-19 09:41 AM
    You can do whatever you want in your own head, but facts are facts. TCL has licenced the brand name - it's theirs to do with as they see fit.
    I doubt that TCL can do just anything. Can they jettison the hardened kernel ? The BlackBerry Secure? Can they sublet the BlackBerry brand name to Huawei? Can they rename their latest washing machine?

I am pretty sure that BlackBerry has put some limits in the contract to protect their security reputation but more importantly to protect their monetization prospects.

Perhaps TCL is worried about impending tariffs and is hoping for a bit of a breakthrough. Perhaps the demand is greater in the USA right now vs Canada. The Canadian market for BlackBerry phones is stronger in terms of passion but weak in terms of population.
    05-18-19 10:04 AM
    The Champagne Key²LE on Amazon is actually the Slate India version. I know..I ordered it and very mad when I received. It went back and I gave the seller a poor review. They blame the incorrect information on Amazon. When I called the seller they told me that they can't get the Champagne model. Buyer beware. My advice is to call the seller and verify that phone described is the actual model they are selling before ordering.
    My K1 was mislabeled from Amazon directly, so it is possible.
    05-18-19 10:09 AM
    I doubt that TCL can do just anything.
    Yes, yes, yes. But we were talking about product distribution.
    05-18-19 10:10 AM
    They pay Blackberry to use the logo. That is all.
    05-18-19 10:29 AM
    Well there are still some Canadians employed by BlackBerry. The small team that patches the OS. The guy who shares his workstation with the kernel hardening desktop. Last but not least the herd of accountants hired to make sure that TCL pays every cent owing .
    I doubt there are many if any fully dedicated to BB Licensing employees anymore. It’s becoming smaller as time marches on. With the Cylance purchase, I wonder the location count breakdown and future HQ status too.
    05-18-19 10:30 AM
254 ... 23456 ...