I just came back from canada where I needed data... I used Google Fi for my service in canada and required the use on my Blackberry Key 2 BBF100-2 Model because my Samsung S10 5G won't work with Google Fi while still activated with Verizon... I used all 3 big providers in canada and had better service then I do anywhere at home with Verizon (although TMobile doesn't work at my house which is what Google Fi runs on)... I go an average of 10mbps download speeds in Vancouver BC even at a convention with over 1,000 people I highly recommend Google Fi to anyone needing cheap texting and data ($10/GB up to 6GB) in canada and the world (calls are $0.20/min international) it's currently the only plan I've found for travelers or anyone who needs lots of data in canada because prepaid in canada is only 5-7GB... Google Fi gives you 15GB at full speeds then slows to 256kbps (you can always enable pay per gb after 15GB if you want faster speeds from your account) all in all I'm very happy with the service and will get it again when I go to places that don't have lots of data! If your phone or tablet works on T-Mobile Google Fi will work regardless of what phones they have listed... And another thing i forgot to mention is data only sims are free and use the same data bucket as your Google Fi phone plan so no need to pay extra money for the tablet just the GB both the devices use
    07-30-19 04:08 PM
    I just came back from canada where I needed data... I used Google Fi for my service in canada and required the use on my Blackberry Key 2 BBF100-2 Model because my Samsung S10 5G won't work with Google Fi while still activated with Verizon... I used all 3 big providers in canada and had better service then I do anywhere at home with Verizon (although TMobile doesn't work at my house which is what Google Fi runs on)... I go an average of 10mbps download speeds in Vancouver BC even at a convention with over 1,000 people I highly recommend Google Fi to anyone needing cheap texting and data ($10/GB up to 6GB) in canada and the world (calls are $0.20/min international) it's currently the only plan I've found for travelers or anyone who needs lots of data in canada because prepaid in canada is only 5-7GB... Google Fi gives you 15GB at full speeds then slows to 256kbps (you can always enable pay per gb after 15GB if you want faster speeds from your account) all in all I'm very happy with the service and will get it again when I go to places that don't have lots of data! If your phone or tablet works on T-Mobile Google Fi will work regardless of what phones they have listed... And another thing i forgot to mention is data only sims are free and use the same data bucket as your Google Fi phone plan so no need to pay extra money for the tablet just the GB both the devices use
    Thanks for the info, it always amazes me what mobile companies charge in Canada.
    07-30-19 07:40 PM
    Thanks for the info, it always amazes me what mobile companies charge in Canada.
    Yup it's $50 usd for 5GB in Canada on prepaid... $80 usd for 10GB in Canada only for Canada residents because it's postpaid (highest data plan you can get in Canada right now) and prepaid turns off after limit is reached until next billing cycle.. post paid reduces speeds to no more then 64kbps after limit is reached... More and more Canadians are going with Google Fi as well because of faster speeds, ability to roam on the 3 biggest networks and 256kbps unlimited after 15GB plus Google Fi doesn't have 60 days international limit like most us cell providers

Canada is currently has the most expensive cell plans in the world followed by the US
    07-31-19 03:27 AM
    Yup it's $50 usd for 5GB in Canada on prepaid... $80 usd for 10GB in Canada only for Canada residents because it's postpaid (highest data plan you can get in Canada right now) and prepaid turns off after limit is reached until next billing cycle.. post paid reduces speeds to no more then 64kbps after limit is reached... More and more Canadians are going with Google Fi as well because of faster speeds, ability to roam on the 3 biggest networks and 256kbps unlimited after 15GB plus Google Fi doesn't have 60 days international limit like most us cell providers

Canada is currently has the most expensive cell plans in the world followed by the US
    Prices in US should start to come way down soon with SPECTRUM now jumping in the cell service and Dish (Latter) . Dish is starting to hurt the big players with 45 bucks complete for unlimited service.
    07-31-19 07:54 AM
    I'm sure that there are many factors involved in us paying such high rates in Canada.
    However, the sparseness of the population and the relatively large rural populations have to drive costs up.

I live in a remote area - we have about 7000 people in our town.
    The next town is far enough away to require its own tower ... 800 people there.
    The next town south is an hour's drive, so IT reqires its own tower to service about 8000 people.

If you're driving south-east there are only a couple of tiny hamlets for 3 or 4 hours driving time.
    07-31-19 10:17 AM
    I'm sure that there are many factors involved in us paying such high rates in Canada.
    However, the sparseness of the population and the relatively large rural populations have to drive costs up.

I live in a remote area - we have about 7000 people in our town.
    The next town is far enough away to require its own tower ... 800 people there.
    The next town south is an hour's drive, so IT reqires its own tower to service about 8000 people.

If you're driving south-east there are only a couple of tiny hamlets for 3 or 4 hours driving time.
    That and there's no real competition. They're all in bed together. Plus, I would argue that out networks are better and less congested. Not that that should mean we get robbed on a monthly basis, but it does take a little of the sting out of it.
    glwerry likes this.
    07-31-19 01:29 PM