That "antique" should be much more true and real for a BlackBerry 10 device...
    Fixed. 😉
    11-13-18 05:42 AM
    Fixed.
    Shouldn't it be ".....for the Antique Blackberry 10 device....."?
    11-13-18 05:50 AM
    Quoting from a relatively negative review (https://indianexpress.com/article/te...eview-5442317/) of the KEY2 LE in The Indian Express, the author writes,

After using both the Key2 and Key2 LE, I can comfortably say that a physical keyboard does not necessarily enhance the typing experience.

Then, he proceeds to criticize the camera, price, power, etc. But I think everything hinges on his quote, which is much too facile.

So, it prompted this question: Just what is it about a physical keyboard that many of us like?
    Criticism is from beside PKB it is a really below the average android phone and PKB is not enough of excuse to put a ****ty hardware and adding premium price any more

This hardware type would work 5 years ago though, but not in today's competition
    Bucky2016 likes this.
    11-13-18 06:05 AM
    Accuracy and shortcuts.

I also admit to the guilty pleasure of having something unique in an ocean of sameness.
    This!
    11-13-18 06:13 AM

As for your second point, the VKB will usually take more screen space when in use
    “When it’s used” which is like the time when you don’t really need to read the screen... But it’s blocked 100% of the time when you actually read it.

I just remember how it was a pain to scroll and scroll and scroll all the time!
    11-13-18 06:52 AM
    “When it’s used” which is like the time when you don’t really need to read the screen... But it’s blocked 100% of the time when you actually read it.

I just remember how it was a pain to scroll and scroll and scroll all the time!
    Aside from the LE, I can also use the PKB to scroll. That + flick to autocomplete/delete + all the shortcuts + fingerprint sensor help justify the "lost" screen space.
    john_v and Byrese like this.
    11-13-18 07:13 AM
    I just have a hunch that the "tactility" part of this is underestimated. I would rather kiss my wife than kiss a picture of my wife. I would rather pick up a tennis racket and play real tennis, than do the faux wii thing. I would rather play pinball on a real machine than on a computer. And, frankly, I would rather type on real buttons rather than push visual images of buttons on a flat "fake" screen.
    11-13-18 10:18 AM
    I just have a hunch that the "tactility" part of this is underestimated. I would rather kiss my wife than kiss a picture of my wife. I would rather pick up a tennis racket and play real tennis, than do the faux wii thing. I would rather play pinball on a real machine than on a computer. And, frankly, I would rather type on real buttons rather than push visual images of buttons on a flat "fake" screen.
    Hold on... what makes you think that an screen keyboard is not a real keyboard? A picture of your wife is obviously not your wife. But isn’t an onscreen keyboard just as a keyboard as a physical one?

There’s nothing fake about it and it even have better functions than a real keyboard... including the fact that you can easily switch languages (such as english/arabic). Try that with a physical keyboard!
    11-13-18 11:45 AM
    Hold on... what makes you think that an screen keyboard is not a real keyboard? A picture of your wife is obviously not your wife. But isn’t an onscreen keyboard just as a keyboard as a physical one?

There’s nothing fake about it and it even have better functions than a real keyboard... including the fact that you can easily switch languages (such as english/arabic). Try that with a physical keyboard!
    You basically discarded his premise by saying "I know what you mean, but what if I just omit all of that and ask something your post already elaborated".

It's really bad taste, either disagree with arguments, or rather avoid hitting "Post Reply".
    11-13-18 12:09 PM

If it was real, then it would've been default ever since the first keyboard phone. Also, I can easily change languages with the KEY2 but I don't need to as it automatically detects the language I'm writing in. So if I start to type English, it will suggest and correct English. If I start to type Dutch/German/whatever, it will suggest and correct that.
    11-13-18 12:09 PM
    If it was real, then it would've been default ever since the first keyboard phone. Also, I can easily change languages with the KEY2 but I don't need to as it automatically detects the language I'm writing in. So if I start to type English, it will suggest and correct English. If I start to type Dutch/German/whatever, it will suggest and correct that.
    I think he was talking about other languages that don't use the Latin alphabet.

As much as I'll defend a PKB, I can't deny that VKB has a crushing advantage as far as language versatility.

That, and:

-swyping ability which helps when using one handed

-impossibility of any individual key malfunctioning

Aside from those, there are no other advantages in my book.
    AmritD likes this.
    11-13-18 12:36 PM
    I think he was talking about other languages that don't use the Latin alphabet.

As much as I'll defend a PKB, I can't deny that VKB has a crushing advantage as far as language versatility.

That, and:

-swyping ability which helps when using one handed

-impossibility of any individual key malfunctioning

Aside from those, there are no other advantages in my book.
    Point taken.

But:

-swiping ability is also available on e.g. the BlackBerry Passport and KEY2.
    -yes, keys can malfunction, but if your screen breaks, you can't easily type anymore but the keyboard will still function, so it's a catch 22.

The only advantage I can think of is easier switching to a different keyboard layout, i.e. from QWERTY to Dvorak or from AZERTY to QWERTZ. 'Cause not only is there more support, esp. when it comes to Dvorak (and if not, you can just download a 3rd party keyboard app), but it will also show the difference. i.e. when you type, the Z really does replace the Y when switching from QWERTY to QWERTZ, while a PKB will still show QWERTY, which makes it a bit harder to remember the keys (not so much in this example, but QWERTY to Dvorak or AZERTY is harder when the keys don't change).
    11-13-18 12:59 PM

OF COURSE, it's not a real keyboard. It's just a bunch of lit up images that look like keys. They "function" like keys but they don't feel like keys. "Virtual" gives the hint. Remember, we're talking about tactility. My argument is that there's nothing really physically pleasant about the experience of pushing images on a piece of glass. And if we're going to type umpteen thousand words each day/week/month, it's nice to have that tactility, in my experience.
    the_boon, Bob80220, Byrese and 1 others like this.
    11-13-18 01:05 PM
    OF COURSE, it's not a real keyboard. It's just a bunch of lit up images that look like keys. They "function" like keys but they don't feel like keys. "Virtual" gives the hint. Remember, we're talking about tactility. My argument is that there's nothing really physically pleasant about the experience of pushing images on a piece of glass. And if we're going to type umpteen thousand words each day/week/month, it's nice to have that tactility, in my experience.
    Agreed... ☝️

Bob
    11-13-18 01:30 PM
    Well the real reason why there’s “tactility” is that it’s a physical keyboard. It’s not a characteristic of a keyboard.

My point is that, for all I know, virtual keyboard could has been invented first in an alternate universe. People could had used pencils, skipped all the typewriter part, and went directement to a virtual keyboard. I virtual keyboard is just as, if not, more functional than a physical keyboard.

That’s totally different than a picture of a person vs that real person.
    11-13-18 02:38 PM
    Well the real reason why there’s “tactility” is that it’s a physical keyboard. It’s not a characteristic of a keyboard.

My point is that, for all I know, virtual keyboard could has been invented first in an alternate universe. People could had used pencils, skipped all the typewriter part, and went directement to a virtual keyboard. I virtual keyboard is just as, if not, more functional than a physical keyboard.

That’s totally different than a picture of a person vs that real person.
    Alternative Universe. Lol. Hilarious
    Bob80220 and Vistaus like this.
    11-13-18 02:52 PM
    Alternative Universe. Lol. Hilarious
    The lengths some people will go to try and make their point... this has to be one of the best I've heard here on CB...

Bob
    Byrese, Mamaluka, nst6ldr and 2 others like this.
    11-13-18 04:22 PM
    Remember when someone tried putting out an all touchscreen with little bubbles that popped up for the keyboard? I wonder whatever happened to that idea? Seemed like a disaster in the making. Probably ended that way too.
    11-13-18 04:39 PM
    This was the company working on the tactile keyboard all touch screen
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5...ctus-keyboard/
    11-13-18 04:51 PM
    This was the company working on the tactile keyboard all touch screen
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5...ctus-keyboard/
    This keyboard definitely belongs in an Alternative Universe...

Bob
    11-13-18 04:56 PM
    This keyboard definitely belongs in an Alternative Universe...

Bob
    It lives.
    11-13-18 05:02 PM
    I want one of these for the Note series

11-13-18 05:03 PM
    I want one of these for the Note series

That just looks awful. Lol
    11-13-18 05:05 PM
    I love it when she says "considering how hard it is to type on flat touch screens"... hahaha

Bob
    the_boon likes this.
    11-13-18 05:07 PM
    That just looks awful. Lol
    It does, it'd look and feel 100 times better had BlackBerry and Samsung released one which was identical to the Legend BOLD9900 series
    Byrese likes this.
    11-13-18 06:06 PM
120 1234 ...