11-16-18 10:29 AM
102 123 ...
tools
    Quoting from a relatively negative review (https://indianexpress.com/article/te...eview-5442317/) of the KEY2 LE in The Indian Express, the author writes,

After using both the Key2 and Key2 LE, I can comfortably say that a physical keyboard does not necessarily enhance the typing experience.

Then, he proceeds to criticize the camera, price, power, etc. But I think everything hinges on his quote, which is much too facile.

So, it prompted this question: Just what is it about a physical keyboard that many of us like?
    11-12-18 01:41 PM
    Quoting from a relatively negative review (https://indianexpress.com/article/te...eview-5442317/) of the KEY2 LE in The Indian Express, the author writes,

After using both the Key2 and Key2 LE, I can comfortably say that a physical keyboard does not necessarily enhance the typing experience.

Then, he proceeds to criticize the camera, price, power, etc. But I think everything hinges on his quote, which is much too facile.

So, it prompted this question: Just what is it about a physical keyboard that many of us like?
    Accuracy and shortcuts.

I also admit to the guilty pleasure of having something unique in an ocean of sameness.
    11-12-18 01:49 PM
    Accuracy and shortcuts.
    Bang on! It's about typing fatigue & accuracy, not speed. I can type on PKB all day; not so much on glass which causes fatigue after a while, mostly triggered by one's inability to type confidently knowing they are hitting the correct keys and thus do not embarrass themselves with ridiculous typos.
    bb9900user2018 and ZahidShad like this.
    11-12-18 01:53 PM
    I do not understand one thing why so many people (more than 95%) fall in trap of glass slab?
    I can definitely not agree that they are more efficient on vkb because how can one be efficient who has to look at the keyboard everytime while typing
    Laptops, PCs they all have physical keyboard.
    Why most organisations don't have a touch keyboard?
    Answer is productivity!

Posted via CB10
    Vistaus likes this.
    11-12-18 02:12 PM
    I got a pkb cause it makes me happy.
    11-12-18 02:23 PM
    My thumb has been hurting a lot less since I've had my Key2, so there's that. It's also a lot less frustrating providing direct input to the device rather than operating some "smart" algorithm that tries guessing your desired word based on poorly perceived context and unavoidable inconsistent gesture based input.

It's a lot like the difference between PC gaming and console gaming. When playing a shooter on any console, moving the thumbstick tells the aim reticle to move in a direction with speed Y (based on how far you move the stick), and along the way snap on any target you hover over. On a PC, when you move the mouse a couple centimeters, your reticle will move the exact same amount (give or take the sensitivity).
    Vistaus and Mamaluka like this.
    11-12-18 02:41 PM
    For me it's shortcuts and typing accuracy. I'm probably quicker overall on my iPhone, but I probably had to go back and change auto correct 100 times as well.
    11-12-18 03:02 PM
    Laptops, PCs they all have physical keyboard.
    Why most organisations don't have a touch keyboard?
    Not only laptops and PC's and tablet add-ons, but as far as physical buttons go, they're still very dominant in just about every piece of machinery.

If touch input was so much superior than good ol' buttons, why haven't more electronics been replaced by such technology?

Hint: Because it's not necessarily superior, but for some reason it's extremely dominant with smartphones

I hate that modern cars are replacing traditional button controls with full touch interfaces. What better way to hit the buttons you don't want to when the car shakes (which is just about all the time)
    Vistaus, AmritD and ZahidShad like this.
    11-12-18 03:03 PM
    I hate that modern cars are replacing traditional button controls with full touch interfaces. What better way to hit the buttons you don't want to when the car shakes (which is just about all the time)
    OMG don't even get me started on that one!
    the_boon, AmritD and jmorgan456 like this.
    11-12-18 03:11 PM
    Not only laptops and PC's and tablet add-ons, but as far as physical buttons go, they're still very dominant in just about every piece of machinery.

If touch input was so much superior than good ol' buttons, why haven't more electronics been replaced by such technology?

Hint: Because it's not necessarily superior, but for some reason it's extremely dominant with smartphones

Imagine a car having touch based accelerator, brakes and clutch instead of physical pads, at its usual location!

Posted via CB10
    the_boon and Vistaus like this.
    11-12-18 03:55 PM
    Imagine a car having touch based accelerator, brakes and clutch instead of physical pads, at its usual location!

Posted via CB10
    If that's where we are headed I will soon stop driving, one of my favorite things to do! Sad.
    MB64 likes this.
    11-12-18 04:06 PM
    OMG don't even get me started on that one!
    Agreed. Which is why I'm glad Mazda is sticking to their good ol' dial knob and improving that knob even more instead of adding a touch screen.
    MB64 likes this.
    11-12-18 04:18 PM
    Agreed. Which is why I'm glad Mazda is sticking to their good ol' dial knob and improving that knob even more instead of adding a touch screen.
    I say eliminate than damn in dash screens and install a smartphone screen disabler upon vehicle entry and engine On as a mandatory global feature.

Necessary information can be screened above the hood at eye sight!

Too many distractions!
    MB64 likes this.
    11-12-18 04:23 PM
    There is also some physical satisfaction in clicking buttons. Tactile feedback.
    the_boon, Vistaus, cdnynot and 2 others like this.
    11-12-18 04:33 PM
    I wonder if the smartphone industry went in the direction of touch screens because Blackberry owned so darn many patents that it made it tough for others to break in.
    11-12-18 06:20 PM
    I wonder if the smartphone industry went in the direction of touch screens because Blackberry owned so darn many patents that it made it tough for others to break in.
    The consumer side was brought into smartphones via the iPod - which made it more about media consumption and apps (mostly games at first).

Typing a lot of text was thought as something you do on a laptop or desktop.
    William Smith40 and john_v like this.
    11-12-18 06:53 PM
    For me it's about feel, as well as the ability to communicate efficiently. Mobile slabs just don't feel this way. Plus the pkb makes me want to communicate.
    11-12-18 09:01 PM
    Everyone has its preferences. Most prefer a touchscreen and some prefer keyboards. That’s it... nothing abnormal with that.

I for one never liked the physical keyboard... every BB that I owned, starting from the Storm, was a touchscreen (except a brief encounter with the 9900).

Fits my need... I can’t stand the clicking noise in meetings. Nor can I stand having constantly half my screen blocked when I read emails or browse a website.
    11-12-18 09:09 PM
    If anyone has their head down at a meeting, it doesn't take the clicking sound for me to identify the A-hole in the room who's texting rather than paying attention.
    11-12-18 09:32 PM
    the pkb makes me want to communicate.
    ^^ This. Nuff said

I can’t stand the clicking noise in meetings. Nor can I stand having constantly half my screen blocked when I read emails or browse a website.
    Some PKB's click louder than others. The loudest one I've ever had is the Typo gen 1 for iPhone 5/5S/SE. Makes the KEY2's spacebar sound like a ninja in comparison.

As for your second point, the VKB will usually take more screen space when in use
    11-13-18 02:10 AM
    Palm/HP and Nokia still produced PKB phones for quite some time. They didn't seem to have a problem breaking in regarding patents (market share is a different story).
    arkenoi and BriannaJL like this.
    11-13-18 03:58 AM
    Accuracy and shortcuts.

I also admit to the guilty pleasure of having something unique in an ocean of sameness.
    That "unique" should be much more true and real for a BlackBerry 10 device...
    hamilgs and Vince Liew like this.
    11-13-18 04:55 AM
    That "unique" should be much more true and real for a BlackBerry 10 device...
    No one except the "niche" folks won't know it's not a Blackberry (RIM) phone. The pkb makes it unique amongst the sea of slabs and quickly identified as a "Blackberry", which (sometimes) results in the symptom of exclaiming "I didn't know Blackberry still makes phones!".
    11-13-18 05:52 AM
    which (sometimes) results in the symptom of exclaiming "I didn't know Blackberry still makes phones!".
    I even had someone ask me:

"Does it have WhatsApp?"

lol

After 3 years on Android, most people still think BB's run on an "ancient" OS with no app support. Sigh
    Smokeaire and William Smith40 like this.
    11-13-18 06:05 AM
    No one except the "niche" folks won't know it's not a Blackberry (RIM) phone. The pkb makes it unique amongst the sea of slabs and quickly identified as a "Blackberry", which (sometimes) results in the symptom of exclaiming "I didn't know Blackberry still makes phones!".
    Yes...aslso this is true...

Posted via CB10
    11-13-18 06:18 AM
102 123 ...