I got my brand new key2 today from a local speciality store, coming from a S9+

Not that I am having any major issues with the S9+, on the contrary, it might be the best phone I have ever owned.

However, after reading up on the reviews for the key2 and watching countless YouTube videos on it, a sense of nostalgia just rushed into my brain, and I figured that I had to buy one to figure out what the hype is all about.

However, after I popped in my Sim card into the key2, some things took me by surprise that I thought would not in the first place (since I was confident about knowing all of its specs and shortcomings beforehand thru review videos)

Here are the biggest issues that hit me:

1. The camera. I was never really a photo person. Matter of fact I sometimes have only 10 or 15 new photos a month. That said, I was more than happy with the quality of photos I was getting with the s9. However, I didn't expect the quality of the key2 camera to be the THIS bad...i simply took a few snap shots of my daughter in a well lit living room after dinner...and cannot believe how fuzzy the pictures looked. I tweaked the settings a little including autofocus, but to no avail...the quality of the camera is bad. I hope BlackBerry can release some photo rendering software magic on this and improve It asap...

2. How clumsy I was with a pkb. The whole point of the key2, is the keyboard. The only reason I bought it was because of how I missed using the bold, the classic , the 9970, and even the PRIV. I always remembered flying away typing on the pkb on these devices. However, after using vkb for years, I seemed to have lost all muscle memories for the pkb or something, because it just felt so weird having to press down so much again...and since this is only reason I switched, I am being really careful on it and will give it a month or so before rushing to conclusions.

Now, 2 things I think TCL/Blackberry can do to fix their next key.

1. The mono speaker, this gotta GO. Mono speakers sounds horrible compared to the stereo speakers we are all spooled to nowadays

2. A bigger, brighter amoled display.
    I can clearly see bezels on the key2 still. They feel bigger than necessary, especially with all these bezeless phones nowadays

Just my twocents...i will keep using this phone for the next month and see how well I adjust to the pkb
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-06-18 10:25 AM
    1. I never take photos in any serious way so I do not understand this. When I do (very very ocasionally) it is just for sharing something in FB chat so nobody cares about quality

2. this takes time. I had a 1year period of trying Sony smartphone with vkb and never learned to type on glass, so back to pkb

- stereo speakers: I agree, it sounds better. It is strange to hear sound only from one end

- amoled display: I dont need it to be bigger, but maybe when using amoled and dark theme, the battery life will be even better so that would be cool to have
    08-06-18 10:32 AM
    What OS are you on OP? An update did come since the device launched which did improve the camera some. Are you tapping on the screen to focus before taking a photo?

As for #2 , if you haven't used a pkb for some time, it will take a couple of weeks at least to get back to normal and build up your muscle memory.
    08-06-18 10:36 AM
    OP I expect it will just take a little time to get the hang of the PKB again....

As for the rest... hope.
    08-06-18 10:39 AM
    I see the Key2 as a get er done device not a social media device. I am happy with the Key2 so even with the few shortcoming it has.
    08-06-18 10:52 AM
    I see the Key2 as a get er done device not a social media device. I am happy with the Key2 so even with the few shortcoming it has.
    Why can't it be both?
    tfitzpat03 likes this.
    08-06-18 10:55 AM
    I'm on ABC432 (I have a BBF-100-2 variant)
    and yes I did tap the screen to focus on the subjects face. I think it was the lighting that caused such a bad photo. however, a lot of flagships are now getting decent night time photos so I think blackberry has no excuse for this

and yes I agree with dunt x3. I think all blackberry or TCL gotta do is improve the little things to make this a much more capable media device (better camera, stereo speaker, slightly smaller bezels, etc)

I am not saying that the key2 should compete with the likes of s9 or oneplus. but with the said tweaks it could have avoided a lot of complaints....including mine, and let curious casual users to really take advantage of a pkb phone in 2018

(BTW I am loving the keyboard shortcuts! it's a dream to jump from app to app by merely pressing the speed key!)
    08-06-18 11:10 AM
    It took me about 3-4 days to get used to the keyboard

The biggest thing with this keyboard is learning how to lock the alt and Shift. Seems like a lot of people don't know, including the guy at Unbox Therapy, that if you are wanting to type numbers and symbols consecutively you can quickly type and alt-alt-shift and it will lock it in to the numbers and symbols shift+shift for all caps. You don't have to hold alt down to you numbers
    08-06-18 11:22 AM
    It took me about 3-4 days to get used to the keyboard

The biggest thing with this keyboard is learning how to lock the alt and Shift. Seems like a lot of people don't know, including the guy at Unbox Therapy, that if you are wanting to type numbers and symbols consecutively you can quickly type and alt-alt-shift and it will lock it in to the numbers and symbols shift+shift for all caps. You don't have to hold alt down to you numbers
    Yep, I saw this on soooo many youtube reviews. Complaining about having to hold down alt and shift for symbols and caps respectively. Then they list it in the con section which is really misleading. Anyways, you don't eve have to use shift if you just want one cap letter, just hold down the key. Or lock it by double tapping shift and lock symbols by double tapping alt. Really intuitive and easy to use.
    08-06-18 12:10 PM
    Yep, I saw this on soooo many youtube reviews. Complaining about having to hold down alt and shift for symbols and caps respectively. Then they list it in the con section which is really misleading. Anyways, you don't eve have to use shift if you just want one cap letter, just hold down the key. Or lock it by double tapping shift and lock symbols by double tapping alt. Really intuitive and easy to use.
    Oh thanks. I thought you had to alt alt Shift. Just alt alt..good to know lol
    08-06-18 12:13 PM
    And thats a sad thing about the reviewers. One would think that they will spend some time to find out all of the (even little) details about the product.

And when we are talking about pkb device (when there is like, umm, 2 on the market nowadays one would anticipate that reviewers will try literally everything what you can do with pkb and how to use all the benefits.
    08-06-18 12:31 PM
    And thats a sad thing about the reviewers. One would think that they will spend some time to find out all of the (even little) details about the product.

And when we are talking about pkb device (when there is like, umm, 2 on the market nowadays one would anticipate that reviewers will try literally everything what you can do with pkb and how to use all the benefits.
    I think in today's fast past world the there is little time for that.... It would be great if they'd run a small production batch and send out a 100 units for testing for a few weeks. Then tweak some things for a few weeks and then start production.

Being that they still haven't pushed out a full fix yet... I'd say it would have cost BBMo way too much to sit on components waiting to get the software just right.
    08-06-18 01:06 PM