Contemplated getting a KEYone on many occasions yet always held off. Then came along the Motion and I jumped on it. After 8 months of use there's zero regrets, exceeded my expectations by a wide margin (camera not withstanding although it suffices).

The KEY2 now looked to be it but the slight delay of its launch gave me too time to think. Put it aside and got the Huawei P20 Pro instead. After reading some of these stories glad I had changed my mind - yeah we know it's in the early stages but the questioning of camera has me wondering if, AGAIN, TCL decided to cut corners, like on the Motion. And like on the Motion good luck expecting them to issue any sort of "fix" for the camera, at least on the short term level - if issues with something takes longer than a months or two to address then IMO it's unlikely to happen.
    Man after that p20 pro camera(s) you're going to have serious trouble finding something that loves up to it for a while.
    06-30-18 10:55 PM
    Man after that p20 pro camera(s) you're going to have serious trouble finding something that loves up to it for a while.
    Yeah was the main factor(s) that drew me towards the P20 Pro. If the KEY2 could've gave my LG G4 (still a great camera IMO) and GS7/GS7 Edge a run for their money I'd have been in, sadly though doubting BB/TCL will have something close for some time to come, if ever - been the BB way for far too long in that, the camera has never been tops on their list.
    pdr733 likes this.
    07-01-18 12:27 AM
    I do understand where you are coming from but believe me the phone is not as bad as half of these reviews claim , If TLC made a near perfect phone you would still have the whingers here moaning a about something ive had mine since Friday I have experienced no issues with it apart from the clicking space key which is noisy and annoying
    07-01-18 12:35 AM
    This is a pure example why reading the crackberry forums is toxic.

Deja vu back a year ago when the KeyOne was launched. The crackberry forums were on fire with fury and agony. I receive my KeyOne and it's a flawless unit. No problems at all.

I feel like the same will occur for the Key2

Posted via CB10
    the_boon, Smokeaire and SDTRMG like this.
    07-01-18 01:03 AM

Deja vu back a year ago when the KeyOne was launched. The crackberry forums were on fire with fury and agony. I receive my KeyOne and it's a flawless unit. No problems at all.

Posted via CB10
    There will always be people who have no problems with a device. That does not mean problems aren't widespread. Don't discard people's negative experiences unless you want them to discard your positive experiences.
    07-01-18 01:32 AM
    There is always a risk for buying the first batch. I'll also wait for revision model.
    My friend has bought the device in Dubai. He tells me his experience with the device has been very good but there is always a risk associated with buying a newly launched products.
    07-01-18 02:17 AM
    Dude just get it and use your warranty if you find something wrong with it. No point waiting for a new batch, since there's no guarantee than model will be perfect either.

You're essentially holding off, to eventually pay the same amount lol...
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-01-18 04:34 AM
    If the phone flat-out doesn't work, not even a PKB has any function. How hard is it to understand.
    And the KEY2 flat out doesn't work?
    07-01-18 05:12 AM
    And the KEY2 flat out doesn't work?
    I don't know--I don't have one. My K1, though, flat-out didn't work as a useful business tool. It did nothing but lag, and the basic baked-in Google search stuff just never reponded when I went to use it. Not the Assistant, not "OK, Google".

It was all just too much for the hardware.

I tolerated it all toward the end, waiting for K2 to arrive to see if that's what I wanted. I find it ironic that the K1 screen detached a month before K2 hit, forcing me to find something else to use--which led me to the S9+ deal. For the very same $650 that TCL wants for K2, I got the S9+. And it revealed to me how well a core phone should work.

If I were a reviewer, I'd happily move to a K2 for a month for comparison against the Samsung. I'm not, so getting a K2 would mean putting out another $650 just to try it out. That's perfectly doable, but not a strong preference for me right now.

I honestly think BB thinks its PKB and software toolset have some special magic value such that they can charge S9+ prices.

Maybe the K2 performs just like my S9+. That would be great. But my experience with the K1 makes me seriously doubt that it will.

And even if I do spend the $650 to find out, I expect that if the results are "yeah, another crappy phone with a PKB" then few people in tis forum would accept that.
    pdr733 likes this.
    07-01-18 05:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Would you come here and tell us if it's not?

Frankly, many of us read your post and wonder if you're just making excuses for a crappy phone just because you want a BB so badly--that you'd never admit it if indeed it was a crappy phone.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-01-18 05:45 AM
    Dude just get it and use your warranty if you find something wrong with it. No point waiting for a new batch, since there's no guarantee than model will be perfect either.

You're essentially holding off, to eventually pay the same amount lol...
    You say that to a crowd of people--such as myself--who dove into the K1 on launch day, only to get a phone where the freaking screen detaches?

You do know that in subsequent manufacturing, they fixed that--right?

Remember, it's the pioneers who have arrows in their backs.
    07-01-18 05:47 AM
    where has he bought it from in Dubai. i live in dubai and have pre ordered it. the shipping is only after 4th of july.
    07-01-18 05:49 AM
    You say that to a crowd of people--such as myself--who dove into the K1 on launch day, only to get a phone where the freaking screen detaches?

You do know that in subsequent manufacturing, they fixed that--right?

Remember, it's the pioneers who have arrows in their backs.
    Yeah but if you plan to pay the same amount, wouldn't you still rather experience the phone sooner than later? (even if there's a chance the unit is defective?).

I don't understand what there is to lose? Your first impression?
    07-01-18 05:56 AM
    Every new product is having the diseases of the childhood. This is valid for everything not for smartphones only.
    To buy a new product from the first batch is a risk you take: big price and risky thing.

Posted with the help of my awesome Passport OG
    07-01-18 05:56 AM
    Yeah but if you plan to pay the same amount, wouldn't you still rather experience the phone sooner than later? (even if there's a chance the unit is defective?)
    No.

I'd rather let others discover the flaws and be the beta testers.

Remember, just because they release it to the public and take your money, doesn't mean it's not a beta test product.
    melhiore likes this.
    07-01-18 06:07 AM
    There will always be people who have no problems with a device. That does not mean problems aren't widespread. Don't discard people's negative experiences unless you want them to discard your positive experiences.
    I agree. It was the positive pre-release pre-reviews that convinced me that upgrading from my KEYᵒⁿᵉ to the Key² will be worth the cost. So pre-ordered. Then came the negative and positive posts from those who have already received their Key². The positive reviews solidified my decision to have pre-order the phone. The negative prepares me for a the possibilities of issues. So no surprises, eyes wide open.
    Positive and negative reviews serve a purpose. We need both.
    Last edited by Smokeaire; 07-01-18 at 06:24 AM.
    07-01-18 06:11 AM
    As of now, most common issues are:

Super clicky spacebar

Subpar camera software

Audio issue

Thankfully, the latter 2 should be able to be resolved via software update.

If we go back to the KEYone's initial batch issues, those included:

Screen lift of course

Terrible reception

A lot of other crap, too many to mention

All in all, as of now, my position remains that the first batch of KEY2 devices are much less a fail than the first batch of KEYones were.

That, to me, is a win in itself. That said, those early KEY2 adopters who do go through this, I hope the software updates hit the devices fast so they can be more satisfied with it, because at the asking price, it's understandable. Clicky spacebar is a non issue in noisy environments anyway, and maybe the part will break-in anyway over time.
    07-01-18 06:48 AM
    I have to say that I was leaning towards canceling my pre-order as well. I got the Keyone at launch and had the screen lift issue, exchanged it for another unit and then had no problems.

I think I'll just exercise using my warranty and keeping my order because that's what warranties are for. It's a personal choice at the end of the day. A few negative experiences won't sway me that much.

I'm just ready to package stalk.
    07-01-18 07:00 AM
    After spending some time with the phone, I can also agree it might be better to wait than rushing out and buying one. When I got the Keyone, I was hooked and excited, besides some issues, it was basically the "perfect" phone for my needs. When I heard about the K2, I was excited and, after seeing some statements, I was placing my pre-order because I thought the new adjustments would justify such an investment.

However I have to say now that I am using it, it doesn't really feel like that great buy I thought it would be. The larger keys are great, they are for sure. I also like the fact the surface material is matte again insteadt of glossy, however the keyboard feels somehow cheaper compared to the K1. I even dare to say I wish it would be more like the K1 just with the larger sized buttons. I also don't know if I just got a bad unit or something, because I can't compare the keyboard to another K2. The keys are more clicky and I like that, but it somehow feels strange typing on it. That spacebar is a story of it's own.
    Another thing is the capacitive feature, which was pretty lacking on the predecessor. On the new phone, it sometimes works better, yet again sometimes it's even worse. Flicking words was easier on the K1, so was deleting words using the swipe back gesture. Scrolling however is more consistend and feels generally better.

That speed key is really convenient by the way, I am pretty quick adapting to its existence and already got it integrated into my workflow, altough sometimes I forget it is there. It is a very convenient way navigating around your phone and it works everywhere, you could even get keyboard shortcuts via the speed key on a 3rd party launcher.

The phone itself is easier and better to hold, more comfortable too, but the K1 felt, in my opinion, more premium. Maybe that's due to the higher weight of that phone. The new back is surely much nicer and offers a better grip. I hoped though it would be the same material/texture they used on the SE Passport, which I have right here, because that feels even nicer and grippier.

I haven't really tried the camera to be honest, I am not much into phone cameras, but the few shots I saw were either worse than Keyone or slightly better. Considering this is a newer and more expensive successor, they should always be better. Yet again, I haven't really tested it.

I don't know, maybe my expectations were too high or I just haven't spend enough time with it, maybe I am even unsure because due to some of the stuff I experienced on the new K2 already, but right now it just doesn't feel as that kind of an upgrade I wanted to have. I don't want to say this phone is bad, it really ain't, but I just thought it would be greater love on the first sight.
    07-01-18 07:21 AM
    After spending some time with the phone, I can also agree it might be better to wait than rushing out and buying one. When I got the Keyone, I was hooked and excited, besides some issues, it was basically the "perfect" phone for my needs. When I heard about the K2, I was excited and, after seeing some statements, I was placing my pre-order because I thought the new adjustments would justify such an investment.

However I have to say now that I am using it, it doesn't really feel like that great buy I thought it would be. The larger keys are great, they are for sure. I also like the fact the surface material is matte again insteadt of glossy, however the keyboard feels somehow cheaper compared to the K1. I even dare to say I wish it would be more like the K1 just with the larger sized buttons. I also don't know if I just got a bad unit or something, because I can't compare the keyboard to another K2. The keys are more clicky and I like that, but it somehow feels strange typing on it. That spacebar is a story of it's own.
    Another thing is the capacitive feature, which was pretty lacking on the predecessor. On the new phone, it sometimes works better, yet again sometimes it's even worse. Flicking words was easier on the K1, so was deleting words using the swipe back gesture. Scrolling however is more consistend and feels generally better.

That speed key is really convenient by the way, I am pretty quick adapting to its existence and already got it integrated into my workflow, altough sometimes I forget it is there. It is a very convenient way navigating around your phone and it works everywhere, you could even get keyboard shortcuts via the speed key on a 3rd party launcher.

The phone itself is easier and better to hold, more comfortable too, but the K1 felt, in my opinion, more premium. Maybe that's due to the higher weight of that phone. The new back is surely much nicer and offers a better grip. I hoped though it would be the same material/texture they used on the SE Passport, which I have right here, because that feels even nicer and grippier.

I haven't really tried the camera to be honest, I am not much into phone cameras, but the few shots I saw were either worse than Keyone or slightly better. Considering this is a newer and more expensive successor, they should always be better. Yet again, I haven't really tested it.

I don't know, maybe my expectations were too high or I just haven't spend enough time with it, maybe I am even unsure because due to some of the stuff I experienced on the new K2 already, but right now it just doesn't feel as that kind of an upgrade I wanted to have. I don't want to say this phone is bad, it really ain't, but I just thought it would be greater love on the first sight.
    I understand your feeling. I think the KEY2 will grow on you with time.

As for me, honestly just the matte keys themselves are a good enough reason for me to upgrade. I really enjoy my Black Edition KEYone but the glossy keys... meh.

KEY2 really is the first 100% designed/built PKB device by TCL, and from what I seen, it looks fairly promising.
    07-01-18 10:46 AM
    I did the opposite after the good reviews and order a black one from Best Buy.
    07-01-18 10:53 AM
    I'd say if you don't "need" it right now, then wait for the revised second batch. My Black keyone works perfectly, and I waited until August to buy it for the quality issues with the key one. So given the doubts, it's worth the wait.
    I know someone who's ordered the key² because her Passport is losing functions, and has chosen the Blackberry android path.
    I hope she's not gonna be disappointed.
    07-01-18 11:14 AM
    STORM and Z10.... both were going to be "fixed" with software optimization and patches. While things did improve with both, neither lived up to what those hardware packages should have been.

Waiting is not a bad thing.... especially if this phone is going to be something you "must" use for the next two or three years. If you can easily return it with no penalty, then order it and see for your self. But it you have to wait a few months for a software patch... How easy will it be to return then?
    07-02-18 07:57 AM
    If the phone flat-out doesn't work, not even a PKB has any function. How hard is it to understand.
    Yet it does work and folks have posted how pleased they are with the phone .
    07-02-18 08:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    Agree and same here with my Key1 .
    07-02-18 08:03 AM
74 123