OP, why does it really matter? A majority of people don't separate the licensee from BlackBerry. They still think BlackBerry is making phones in house.

Picking hairs with this one.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    I expect for most governments... it matters a lot, thus they aren't using TCL's BBmo.

BlackBerry has "said" that they are overseeing the loading of the OS on the phones... but they haven't put that in writing nor done much to explain anything about their processes, other than some outdated info from the PRIV and DTEK days. (Samsung has each OS and variant of each OS certified by a number of organizations)

For PKB lovers, it doesn't really matter as there are not any options out there. For those really concerned about security and privacy, until testing is done and certifications are issued.... it matters.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    01-24-19 09:36 AM
    I expect for most governments... it matters a lot, thus they aren't using TCL's BBmo.

BlackBerry has "said" that they are overseeing the loading of the OS on the phones... but they haven't put that in writing nor done much to explain anything about their processes, other than some outdated info from the PRIV and DTEK days. (Samsung has each OS and variant of each OS certified by a number of organizations)

For PKB lovers, it doesn't really matter as there are not any options out there. For those really concerned about security and privacy, until testing is done and certifications are issued.... it matters.
    It matters to sophisticated buyers, but not to list consumers.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-24-19 10:52 AM
    At least 2 provincial governments in Canada have signed on you use BBMo devices.
    01-24-19 11:07 AM
    At least 2 provincial governments in Canada have signed on you use BBMo devices.
    That's encouraging, assuming they did their due diligence.

01-24-19 03:30 PM
    That's encouraging, assuming they did their due diligence.

Plus, one of our banks deployed over 10,000 KEY²s throughout North America.
    01-24-19 03:32 PM
    I'm really curious what the use case is for those. I don't think of banks as being a business where the majority of employees need a mobile phone to do their jobs!

01-24-19 03:47 PM
    I'm really curious what the use case is for those. I don't think of banks as being a business where the majority of employees need a mobile phone to do their jobs!

I've never seen a bank manager, account rep, or investment adviser without one.
    01-24-19 03:50 PM
    I've never seen a bank manager, account rep, or investment adviser without one.
    Ignore my comment. I didn't realize the size of the big 5 banks in Canada and didn't think they'd have 10K mid to senior tier customer-facing employees. I was just wrong. 10K is a very reasonable number for at least the top 5.

01-24-19 03:57 PM
    Ignore my comment. I didn't realize the size of the big 5 banks in Canada and didn't think they'd have 10K mid to senior tier customer-facing employees. I was just wrong. 10K is a very reasonable number for at least the top 5.

Ya. Top 5 banks in Canada are in the top 11 in all of North America.
    01-24-19 04:07 PM
    I find this news to be very strange. There is no way that a PKB phone made by TCL can be as reliable as a phone where the OEM spends untold millions of dollars on engineering. Then too there is the lack of support and parts .

The next problem is push back from employees. They want an iPhone or Samsung S.

The news comes from BBmo so It must be true but it sure is a head scratcher. I would have expected a bank to be more conservative and studied in their approach.

The Key2 is a nice phone but I would not want to be the person who approved this purchase.
    01-24-19 04:32 PM
    I find this news to be very strange. There is no way that a PKB phone made by TCL can be as reliable as a phone where the OEM spends untold millions of dollars on engineering. Then too there is the lack of support and parts .

The news comes from BBmo so It must be true but it sure is a head scratcher. I would have expected a bank to be more conservative and studied in their approach.

The Key2 is a nice phone but I would not want to be the person who approved this purchase.
    Perhaps your concerns are simply not accurate.

Just maybe the KEY² is a well-engineered, well-built device, people who have one love it, and the bank did a very thorough analysis of the alternatives.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    01-24-19 04:39 PM
    Maybe someone in banking in the GTA can tell us what is going on in this industry.

I am just making an observation that buying 10,000 BlackBerry phones is very unusual . Perhaps this bank was still using old BlackBerry phones in which case the Key2 would be a big improvement.
    01-24-19 05:35 PM
    Dairy Farmers of Manitoba still has Privs as part of their work phone deployment.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-19 05:39 PM
    Dairy Farmers of Manitoba still has Privs as part of their work phone deployment.

Posted via CB10
    They have been milking that phone too long.
    01-24-19 07:17 PM
    Ya. Top 5 banks in Canada are in the top 11 in all of North America.
    Top 5 in Canada is almost the entire sector in Canada whereas in the USA, there’s still couple thousand or so...
    01-24-19 09:37 PM
    They have been milking that phone too long.

That comment seemed cheesy.....
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    01-24-19 09:38 PM
    That comment seemed cheesy.....
    Yes, it soured me on Canadian dairy.
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    01-24-19 10:00 PM
    Top 5 in Canada is almost the entire sector in Canada whereas in the USA, there’s still couple thousand or so...
    Yeah but our banks NEVER have to ask for a bailout. Believe me!
    01-24-19 10:21 PM
    Yes, it soured me on Canadian dairy.
    Something something yogourt pun something.
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    01-25-19 12:01 AM

I am sure it was mostly cost that secured the contract not fit and finish.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-19 09:04 AM
    Yeah but our banks NEVER have to ask for a bailout. Believe me!
    If they do then all you need is a bit of pocket change to fix the balance.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-19 09:06 AM
    If they do then all you need is a bit of pocket change to fix the balance.

Posted via CB10
    JP Morgan's assets are equal to 10% of the US GDP.

RBC's assets are equal to 77% of the Canadian GDP.

Just gives you an idea of how much bigger our banks are here, relative to our economy.
    01-25-19 09:41 AM
    JP Morgan's assets are equal to 10% of the US GDP.

RBC's assets are equal to 77% of the Canadian GDP.

Just gives you an idea of how much bigger our banks are here, relative to our economy.
    Interesting fact.... I believe TD has more branches now in the USA than in Canada because no growth left North of the border...
    01-25-19 10:01 AM
    I believe TD has more branches now in the USA than in Canada because no growth left North of the border.
    Absolutely true.
    01-25-19 10:37 AM
    'Provincial' is the key word here. Not national governments for whom verifiable security matters.
    01-25-19 11:28 AM
83 1234