Why do we have to higlight that 'It's no longer manufactured by BlackBerry but by a Chinese phone manufacturer, TCL.

iPhones don't manufacture the phones themselves, do they? As far as I know, it is manufactured by Foxxconn, a mobile phone manufacturing company based in Taiwan, which also manufactures phones for other brands.

But we don't hear people stressing about iPhone not being manufactured by Apple but by Foxxconn, who is given contract by Apple to manufacture iPhone.

Based on the premise above, there's no need to stress too much about BlackBerry not being produced by BlackBerry anymore but by TCL. Also, articles writing about BlackBerry phones keep stressing about the phones are not built by BlackBerry but by TCL but they don't mention Foxxconn when writing about iPhone.
    rarsen likes this.
    01-22-19 08:13 AM
    Apple phone sales are on Apples books but Blackberry no longer carries the books for phone sales. Its done as Blackberry Mobile. There is a clear distinction between the 2 companies and how the phone sales are managed.
    Vistaus and pkcable like this.
    01-22-19 08:37 AM
    Apple phone sales are on Apples books but Blackberry no longer carries the books for phone sales. Its done as Blackberry Mobile. There is a clear distinction between the 2 companies and how the phone sales are managed.
    And how the phone design is managed. The iPhone is still designed strictly at Apple. BlackBerry has no real design envolvement. They may have some sign-off responsibility (since many of their patents are used) but that's just a guess.
    Vistaus and pkcable like this.
    01-22-19 08:51 AM
    And how the phone design is managed. The iPhone is still designed strictly at Apple. BlackBerry has no real design envolvement. They may have some sign-off responsibility (since many of their patents are used) but that's just a guess.
    yep that as well. Many differences really
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-22-19 09:07 AM
    Why do we have to higlight that 'It's no longer manufactured by BlackBerry but by a Chinese phone manufacturer, TCL.

iPhones don't manufacture the phones themselves, do they? As far as I know, it is manufactured by Foxxconn, a mobile phone manufacturing company based in Taiwan, which also manufactures phones for other brands.

But we don't hear people stressing about iPhone not being manufactured by Apple but by Foxxconn, who is given contract by Apple to manufacture iPhone.

Based on the premise above, there's no need to stress too much about BlackBerry not being produced by BlackBerry anymore but by TCL. Also, articles writing about BlackBerry phones keep stressing about the phones are not built by BlackBerry but by TCL but they don't mention Foxxconn when writing about iPhone.
    Foxconn doesn't design the iPhone, market it, field technical support, distribute updates, or really handle the vast majority of the iPhone. For BB branded devices outside of India and Indonesia that's all TCL.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-22-19 11:02 AM
    Fair enough. But it can still be said that it's by BlackBerry as it is designed and marketed by BlackBerry Mobile. The name BlackBerry is still there.
    01-22-19 11:08 AM
    Right, but BBMo is NOT BB Ltd - it's a sub-group of TCL. Those are facts, and it wouldn't be right to mislead anyone otherwise.
    01-22-19 11:42 AM
    To add, BlackBerry Ltd does do the QA for BlackBerry Mobile, BlackBerry Mobile India and BB Merah Putih. John Chen reiterated this again recently in another interview.
    01-22-19 12:09 PM
    To add, BlackBerry Ltd does do the QA for BlackBerry Mobile, BlackBerry Mobile India and BB Merah Putih. John Chen reiterated this again recently in another interview.
    Just to clarify, that's limited to their builds of Android, not to the manufacturing of the devices themselves.
    01-22-19 08:21 PM
    Just to clarify, that's limited to their builds of Android, not to the manufacturing of the devices themselves.
    I believe he said that there is a BlackBerry Secure module that inspects the phones during the manufacturing process.

Posted via CB10
    A Tengku likes this.
    01-22-19 09:19 PM
    I believe he said that there is a BlackBerry Secure module that inspects the phones during the manufacturing process.

Posted via CB10
    Their root of trust dealie claims to verify that the software loaded onto the phone in the factory in China has the thumbs up from Waterloo before getting loaded, but that's not overall QA. Whether or not the software has a green light from BB Ltd has no bearing on, say, if the screen is glued on.
    Troy Tiscareno and pkcable like this.
    01-22-19 09:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    He said....

BlackBerry and now BBMo are very "lite" on written details about security and their process. Along with what certifications they have obtained for each variant of Android. Much less the whole back and forth that would be needed between the two of them on the OS...

Think it's in BlackBerry's best interest that it's clear that BlackBerry phones aren't from BlackBerry....
    01-23-19 08:13 AM
    Fair enough. But it can still be said that it's by BlackBerry as it is designed and marketed by BlackBerry Mobile. The name BlackBerry is still there.
    So, if a person in Sweden changes their name to yours and creates a Facebook account with that name, can it be said that his posts reflect your opinions?

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-23-19 09:14 AM
    So, if a person in Sweden changes their name to yours and creates a Facebook account with that name, can it be said that his posts reflect your opinions?

Well if you licensed your name to him and created a contract that protected your interests....

My view... BlackBerry was never really the BlackBerry some here like to believe in. I'll admit that community more than the company influenced my purchases, once the advantage of BIS/BES were not really a factor anymore.

STORM, PlayBook, Z10... clearly BlackBerry was not perfect when it comes to designing the hardware and software into one package.
    01-23-19 09:37 AM
    Well if you licensed your name to him and created a contract that protected your interests....

My view... BlackBerry was never really the BlackBerry some here like to believe in. I'll admit that community more than the company influenced my purchases, once the advantage of BIS/BES were not really a factor anymore.
    That is a better analogy, but the contract doesn't give me control over anything except protecting my reputation.

Totally agree there are many different BlackBerry companies in people's imagination on these forums.

01-23-19 09:40 AM
    The name BlackBerry is essentially just branding at this point. The KEY2 and KEY2LE are TCL devices through and through with the right to use a few BlackBerry patents.
    01-23-19 11:27 AM
    Your analogy is flawed.
    01-23-19 11:41 AM
    There are many instances where companies ask third parties to produce their products. These include automotive, food and drinks, clothes, shoes, pharmaceutical etc. They are still know with the name of the brand of the company which asked them to produce their goods and it is silent on who produce the goods.
    01-23-19 12:09 PM
    There are many instances where companies ask third parties to produce their products. These include automotive, food and drinks, clothes, shoes, pharmaceutical etc. They are still know with the name of the brand of the company which asked them to produce their goods and it is silent on who produce the goods.
    Are we arguing over the wording?

Call it whatever you want.

If you want to be accurate, you have to say you have a BlackBerry device by BlackBerry Mobile, Optiemus, or PT BB Merah Putih. All three have licenced the brand name.

But it's NOT a device by or from BlackBerry.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    01-23-19 12:47 PM
    Are we arguing over the wording?

Call it whatever you want.

If you want to be accurate, you have to say you have a BlackBerry device by BlackBerry Mobile, Optiemus, or PT BB Merah Putih. All three have licenced the brand name.
    Haha. The whole world only knows BlackBerry and only if they know what BlackBerry is. No TCL. No Optiemus. No BB Merah Putih.
    01-23-19 12:49 PM
    Haha. The whole world only knows BlackBerry and only if they know what BlackBerry is. No TCL. No Optiemus. No BB Merah Putih.
    Doesn't change who makes, sales and supports the phones.... isn't BlackBerry.

Are there some that aren't aware that BlackBerry no longer makes phones, sure. One reason for a company to use another brand is to capture some of the brands built in "marketing".
    01-23-19 01:28 PM
    If a company outsources manufacturing, the company is responsible for the product.

If a company licenses it's brand to a manufacturer, the manufacturer licensee is responsible.

Those are two different kinds of partnerships. If Foxconn decided not to produce iPhones, Apple could find another manufacturer. But if BlackBerry Mobile decides not to produce BlackBerry branded phones, BlackBerry can't sell another license until the one with BlackBerry Mobile expires.

01-23-19 02:30 PM
    There's a difference between "here, build this according to our plans" and "here's our name, you do everything else".
    RK_BB likes this.
    01-23-19 03:59 PM
    The question is: Who says "we have to highlight" it's no longer manufactured by BlackBerry?
    01-24-19 07:10 AM
    OP, why does it really matter? A majority of people don't separate the licensee from BlackBerry. They still think BlackBerry is making phones in house.

Picking hairs with this one.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    A Tengku likes this.
    01-24-19 07:56 AM
83 123 ...