Hi,
    I've looked everywhere for a solution but can't find one and wonder if I'm the only one. I have a brand new Key2 but it won't let me set up the convenience key. When I press it nothing happens, no menu asking me to set it up to an app or shortcut.
    I've also gone to Settings -->Shortcut & Gestures --> Convenience Key and landed in the profiles page. Have tried launching convenience key from there but nothing happens either.

Has anybody else found this issue? Starting to wonder if my convenience key is busted.

Thanks a lot...
    mrisad likes this.
    07-21-18 02:24 PM
    Hi,

I've also gone to Settings -->Shortcut & Gestures --> Convenience Key and landed in the profiles page. Have tried launching convenience key from there but nothing happens either.
    You have to assign an app or other action first before you can launch the convenience key. I do not read you assigned any before launching.
    07-21-18 02:38 PM
    Right, that's the issue though. It won't let me assign it for the first time. I click on the convenience key and I should see a menu that asks me to assign something to it, similar to how when you first press a key in the keyboard it asks you which app/shortcut you want assigned to it.
    07-21-18 03:58 PM
    Right, that's the issue though. It won't let me assign it for the first time. I click on the convenience key and I should see a menu that asks me to assign something to it, similar to how when you first press a key in the keyboard it asks you which app/shortcut you want assigned to it.
    It doesn't work that way. You have to go into settings and turn it on manually
    bozzg86 likes this.
    07-21-18 04:00 PM
    Right. But the settings won't work either. It won't give me the screen/menu with the option to map it to an app or shortcut. And Buttons Remapper also can't detect my convenience key. There's def something faulty. I'll return it I guess. Thanks for your suggestions though...
    07-21-18 07:10 PM
    Settings -> Convenience key -> you'll see a blurb that goes "Quickly access your fav..." top-half of the screen; bottom half of the screen has "Shortcuts" + a dotted-line box + "Add a new shortcut", followed by some pre-made profiles.

If the dotted-line box is there and clickable, then you're gold - clicking it gives you the options to assign whatever shortcuts. And you can do this for up to 3 items. Then +3 more shortcuts for each profile.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-18 08:28 PM
    Right. But the settings won't work either. It won't give me the screen/menu with the option to map it to an app or shortcut. And Buttons Remapper also can't detect my convenience key. There's def something faulty. I'll return it I guess. Thanks for your suggestions though...
    Have you tried resetting the phone? Could save you a lot of waiting time
    07-22-18 01:22 AM
    I have a fix for you. let me know if you need it. just signed up to crackberry. learning the ins and outs so my bad if ive send multiple messages
    07-25-18 05:24 PM
    Hi so sorry I didn't reply and really appreciate you weighing in. Was traveling. The funny thing is that when I go to settings -> convenience key -> it takes me straight to the advanced settings page to turn on the different profiles (Normal, Car, etc) not the page that should allow me to Add a New shortcut in the first place shown in all these explainer videos. It's just bizarre. Anyway I got Buttons Remapper to work so just using that. It's annoying though. I was thinking of returning it but it took me 2 days to set up the phone and I just don't want to do it all over again...
    07-25-18 07:56 PM
    Have you tried resetting the phone? Could save you a lot of waiting time

Oh yeah. Multiple times. But nothing. Sigh ...
    07-25-18 07:57 PM
    I am having the EXACT same problem on my dad's brand new key2. My key2 is just fine. Any updates on this OP? I'm thinking of having it replaced. I got my dad's key2 from rogers.

Hi,
    I've looked everywhere for a solution but can't find one and wonder if I'm the only one. I have a brand new Key2 but it won't let me set up the convenience key. When I press it nothing happens, no menu asking me to set it up to an app or shortcut.

Has anybody else found this issue? Starting to wonder if my convenience key is busted.

Thanks a lot...
    07-28-18 12:06 AM
    I am having the EXACT same problem on my dad's brand new key2. My key2 is just fine. Any updates on this OP? I'm thinking of having it replaced. I got my dad's key2 from rogers.
    I remember having this issue when I first set up my K2, I struggled to figure out how to assign anything to it. Like others I assumed you'd just be able to press the button and it would prompt you assign something to it (I think the K1 worked this way).

I remember muddling around with it for a few minutes in settings and I managed to get the setup screen to appear. I do not recall the exact path to success I am sorry to say. Maybe I turned the convenience key off and on in Gestures setting? Something like this.

So it may be more of a user experience design problem than anything faulty with the device, and you may not be alone. But I do think if you fudge around with it a bit more you may get it to work. Sorry I can't give a more directly helpful solution though.
    07-28-18 05:28 AM
    I picked up a Key2 Last night. I took me a few minutes to figure it out.

In the convenience key advanced settings page.

First turn on the normal profile.

Then you touch the the normal profile title.

This brings you to the Normal profile settings options page, where you can add shortcuts.
    07-28-18 08:05 AM

This brings you to the Normal profile settings options page, where you can add shortcuts.
    This rings a bell!
    07-28-18 01:05 PM
    OMG dude, you solved my problem. "turn on normal profile, then touch the normal profile title". This saved me from returning my dad's key2 for a replacement. I don't understand why they made this so unintuitive. Setting every other shortcut is so easy. When someone presses the convenience key for the first time it should prompt you to set the shortcut (like it did in the previous builds!!). This happened on my key2 as well just after i updated to build ABC432.

07-28-18 03:36 PM
    Solution found, go to settings -> shortcuts & gestures -> convenience key, turn on normal mode then click the "normal mode" text in that same page.
    07-28-18 03:38 PM
    Solution found, go to settings -> shortcuts & gestures -> convenience key, turn on normal mode then click the "normal mode" text in that same page.
    Thankfully I override the button with Button Remapper for a much better experience
    07-28-18 04:41 PM
    does anyone know how to make the convenience key work when the device is locked? I have i't mapped to voice search and would love to just squeeze the key and go without having to unlock the phone first
    07-28-18 05:02 PM
    On more than one occasion, I've head issues where it's difficult to tell whether some pieces of text are clickable / interactive, or just plain information. BlackBerry has to make it easier for users to determine these things.

This probably makes me old, but I remember how simple it was back in the days when all hyperlinks were blue and underlined vs the plain black/white text.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-18 11:15 PM
    setting - shortcuts & gestures -convenience key - tap " normal profile " , then ........
    07-29-18 01:49 AM

You the man. This works! Can't believe I wasn't able to figure out for so long.

Oh man you rule. Thanks so much. Can't believe it took me so long to finally find a solution.
    08-02-18 08:41 PM

This should be stickied
    09-21-18 11:00 AM
    This took me way too long to figure out too.
    09-22-18 08:50 AM
    Works. Had the same issue and that's not explained anywhere.
    "Should be stickied"!
    10-03-18 03:43 PM

BRILLIANT!!!! Thanks!
    01-10-19 10:03 AM
30 12