Today's my first day using the KEY2 as my main driver, coming from an iPhone X. Apple priced themselves too high for me for the first time, so I decided to make the jump (for the second time - trying harder this time). Plus, I really don't like Face ID on the new iPhones, all the Memoji cute crap is useless to me, wasn't impressed with any of the updated TBH so I'm not paying for it. So far I'm doing OK, really enjoying the physical keyboard but there are two main issues I wish I didn't have to workaround.

1. iMessage, 99% of my contacts use it frequently. I've downloaded and set up WeMessage on KEY2 and it's pretty buggy, but usable.

2. Really want to use the HUB for my work email, but my company requires 2FA via OKTA and HUB doesn't support that. So I'm forced to use the Outlook app, which isn't great at all.

Other than that, plenty of other minor bugs like camera quality, sound quality, and display quality which are subpar from what I'm used to. But it's looking like I can live with it, who knows.
    09-18-18 05:47 PM
    As long as the licencing payment doesn't related to hor many devices sold, it sure a lot of money.
    So you're crapping on Punkt now too? You don't seem to be a very happy fella.
    chain13 likes this.
    09-18-18 06:03 PM
    Today's my first day using the KEY2 as my main driver, coming from an iPhone X. Apple priced themselves too high for me for the first time, so I decided to make the jump (for the second time - trying harder this time). Plus, I really don't like Face ID on the new iPhones, all the Memoji cute crap is useless to me, wasn't impressed with any of the updated TBH so I'm not paying for it. So far I'm doing OK, really enjoying the physical keyboard but there are two main issues I wish I didn't have to workaround.

1. iMessage, 99% of my contacts use it frequently. I've downloaded and set up WeMessage on KEY2 and it's pretty buggy, but usable.

2. Really want to use the HUB for my work email, but my company requires 2FA via OKTA and HUB doesn't support that. So I'm forced to use the Outlook app, which isn't great at all.

Other than that, plenty of other minor bugs like camera quality, sound quality, and display quality which are subpar from what I'm used to. But it's looking like I can live with it, who knows.
    I don't fully understand why people need to replace iMessage or have a hard time giving up iMessage. Doesn't iOS just augment text (sms) messages with iMessage if the other person also has an iPhone? Does iMessage provide anything beyond normal text messages aside from working over WiFi?
    09-18-18 06:29 PM
    I don't fully understand why people need to replace iMessage or have a hard time giving up iMessage. Doesn't iOS just augment text (sms) messages with iMessage if the other person also has an iPhone? Does iMessage provide anything beyond normal text messages aside from working over WiFi?
    It's definitely something you get hooked on and is way better than SMS/MMS. It has a ton of features (a whole app ecosystem within it), it's quick, syncs to your mac, you really can't knock it until you try it. The main thing though, is that if it's the app most your contacts use, you want to be using that. Also, Apple makes it difficult to simply just turn off. If you try and go back to standard SMS/MMS you will usually miss a lot with group threads when people are still using iMessage.
    09-18-18 06:40 PM
    So people who don't choose Apple are "morons"? Wow.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    You mean people who don't choose BB10 are morons now? "Wow"
    Last edited by valer466; 09-19-18 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added moron :)
    09-19-18 12:43 AM
    This is a big stretch, unlike the post you quoted.
    09-19-18 12:48 AM
    So you're crapping on Punkt now too? You don't seem to be a very happy fella.
    Crapping? What?

Punkt is a good cheap phone for what it intended to be. The OS is still young and it's good that they pay attention for security concern since the very beginning. Software licencing fee mostly done by "dollar per sell number" model like $50k (more or less) per 100k devices sold (more or less). Since it's not actually an OS licencing (and more like security check services), I couldn't expect to much profit out of it. But it's good if they really make money, so they can achieve what you called ROI-thing.
    Last edited by chain13; 09-21-18 at 05:40 AM.
    09-19-18 01:07 AM
    You must have me confused with someone else. I couldn't care less what phone people choose. I choose the one that works best for me, and I assume others do the same.

09-19-18 02:31 AM
    Crapping? What?

Punkt is a good cheap phone for what it intended to be. The OS is still young and it's good that they pay attention for security concern since the very beginning. Software licencing fee mostly done by "dollar per sell number" model like $50k (more or less) per 100k devices sold (more or less). Since it's not actually an OS licencing (and more like security check services), I couldn't be expect to much profit out of it. But it's good if they really make money, so they can achieve what you called ROI-thing.
    I think your numbers are off . I would estimate about $10 per unit. Most of this stream of revenue is profit.

It is surprising to me that BlackBerry Secure is not on TCL smart TV’s .
    09-19-18 08:29 AM
    I think your numbers are off . I would estimate about $10 per unit. Most of this stream of revenue is profit.

It is surprising to me that BlackBerry Secure is not on TCL smart TV’s .
    Possible, I just compare that to google's GMS which cost $75 per 100k devices, that contains full applications and services support. Blackberry-punkt licensing isn't full-services, specifically security-related service only.
    09-19-18 08:50 AM
    iMessages work like FB Messenger analog between iPhone users or as standard SMS with others, so it just work on closed iOS system platform.

If you have MacBook and iPhone they sync perfectly and much better then Blend did, you also can make or get phone calls directory from MacBook, no need to answer with iPhone, SMS/iMessages and etc too, very convenient..

..but like I said, you have to have MacBook and iPhone to get max performance, this is one of the reasons why a lot of companies buys MacBook & iPhones + headphones with mics and uses them for call centers I see a lot here.

One of the reasons why iPhone SE was big success IMHO, insert a SIM, connect with MacBook - Done.
    09-19-18 02:55 PM
    Well, some people just really like blue text bubbles instead of green.

Side note: I really miss the iOS 6 and prior theme, looked so much more professional than everything starting with iOS 7 which looks like a child OS.
    09-19-18 03:02 PM
    Possible, I just compare that to google's GMS which cost $75 per 100k devices, that contains full applications and services support. Blackberry-punkt licensing isn't full-services, specifically security-related service only.
    What you estimated was only 50 cents per device. That is not even chump change. Still not much revenue here. This venture is just to get the ball rolling.
    09-19-18 03:59 PM
    Key2 because I need the features of it.
    09-21-18 03:31 AM
    Functionally, phones just don't do enough to justify prices much above $500. As a consumer, people are free to buy whatever they like, but I'd spend $5k+ for a workstation-grade laptop long before I'd spend $750 for a phone.

Unless the phone became fully capable of doing all the things that at work station power station can do and then I would love that phone beyond all means
    09-21-18 05:46 AM
    Unless the phone became fully capable of doing all the things that at work station power station can do and then I would love that phone beyond all means
    Still wouldn’t pay huge bucks for that for over a workstation grade laptop. Small screen, small keyboard, no mouse, no extra USB ports (that can actually use external HD’s etc) and so on.
    09-21-18 06:34 PM
    There are just things I can’t do on a (relatively) small screen and lack of mouse, etc., such as process photos.
    09-21-18 06:35 PM
    To me, what's interesting is the convergence of mobile phones and PCs. Apple won't go all in on this because the iPhone is the golden goose for them, but I see Microsoft adding SIM support to Windows 10, together with their Office 365 Cloud PBX service, and I think it really wouldn't be hard to live without a mobile phone and simply use a slim laptop or 2-in1 with a Bluetooth headset on Windows.

If that becomes viable, I will ditch my mobile phone with no regrets.

chain13 likes this.
    09-21-18 09:01 PM
    Surface Pro with LTE advanced goes in that direction.

. https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=UJR5dGwe
    09-22-18 01:32 AM
    Surface Pro with LTE advanced goes in that direction.

. https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=nmkZeEfp
    Yes. All the parts are there for Microsoft for corporate users, at least.

1) Set up Microsoft Cloud PBX with a dedicated corporate number for each employee.
    2) Provision PC with SIM card (which also improves security)
    3) Configure Skype for Business to use the assigned corporate number
    4) User can handle all work calls from a single device (the PC) and/or a VOIP phone and can make calls from or route calls to their personal cell phone if desired.
    5) Provide Bluetooth headset with call control.

This set up would allow me to ditch a cell phone for 95% of my work requirements. This is my current plan after BB10 dies, unless there are significant improvements in the Android work that prioritize email over other apps.

Bbnivende likes this.
    09-22-18 08:29 AM
    2) Provision PC with SIM card (which also improves security)
    Really curious how you're seeing this. I work for a worldwide organization with about 60k employees, and patch management for our servers is abysmal (thank god I'm not responsible for clientside patchmanagement). We've resorted to manual picking and installation because they break our **** about three times a year.
    09-22-18 05:17 PM
    Really curious how you're seeing this. I work for a worldwide organization with about 60k employees, and patch management for our servers is abysmal (thank god I'm not responsible for clientside patchmanagement). We've resorted to manual picking and installation because they break our **** about three times a year.
    Recent Windows 10 updates support SIM cards, and recent laptops and 2-in-1s do as well. It definitely appears that Microsoft is assuming portable computers should always have access to the Internet if desired without relying on WiFi availability.

For employees in the office, not much would change, but it would greatly simplify remote knowledge work.

But I'm not sure how that would improve your company's server issues. Seems like a separate issue to me.
    09-22-18 05:23 PM
    Recent Windows 10 updates support SIM cards, and recent laptops and 2-in-1s do as well. It definitely appears that Microsoft is assuming portable computers should always have access to the Internet if desired without relying on WiFi availability.

For employees in the office, not much would change, but it would greatly simplify remote knowledge work.

But I'm not sure how that would improve your company's server issues. Seems like a separate issue to me.
    Sorry, I haven't been clear enough: how do you see computers with integrated SIM as an improvement to security? Don't get me wrong, I have a good 'ol ThinkPad with built-in 4G modem and it's lovely, I just don't see how it's more secure than one without.
    09-23-18 01:15 PM
    Sorry, I haven't been clear enough: how do you see computers with integrated SIM as an improvement to security? Don't get me wrong, I have a good 'ol ThinkPad with built-in 4G modem and it's lovely, I just don't see how it's more secure than one without.
    Oh, that's easy. It keeps employees from using untrusted WiFi networks, such as public WiFi, client guest networks, etc.

09-23-18 01:32 PM
    Thinking of going to the dark side. bigger screen for bigger fonts. getting on years to the tired old eyes. Using the key2 only for the last 2 months coming from keyone and from all Blackberrys all the way back to 2005.
    09-23-18 02:38 PM
289 ... 7891011 ...