I find Apple’s strategy very similar to old BBOS strategy... No?
    Not even close!
    09-14-18 08:56 PM
    I find Apple’s strategy very similar to old BBOS strategy... No?
    Not in my opinion. Apple's strategy is based on being a platform for third party content, from media to apps, for which they get paid, and on selling hardware at high margins.

BlackBerry's BBOS strategy was based on monthly service fees for a vertically integrated professional messaging service.

Apple (and Google's) strategy is much better aligned with other powerful partners (media companies, carriers, software developers, etc), while BlackBerry's strategy only benefited itself, carriers and it's Enterprise customers.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-14-18 08:57 PM
    So can you explain to me how does your logic work with Face ID? Nothing near that with the competition. That’s not innovation?

And what about the latest Apple watch? Antenna on the screen and ECG?

Or please explain me where else do you see something as small as the earpods?

And wait... what about their A series chips that are consistently faster than anything else? Like maybe 2 to 3 years ahead of competition? That’s not innovation?

W series chip?

Or the S series chip?

Oh and the best one: what about RAM management? How the heck apple is able to only use half the RAM than any other devices for the same apps? Google it... it’s a closely kept secret at Apple. No one is able to figure that one out. That’s not innovation?

Those are just recent ones.
    Enough already bob. What did you expect from people who just think “capacitive layer behind set of buttons” is the best invention of all history of tech? They don’t understand, they won’t.
    pdr733 likes this.
    09-14-18 09:36 PM
    Honestly, if one is happy with iOS, Apple's apps and lock-in strategies, and the value proposition that an iPhone represents, there is no reason not to buy one.

Personally, I am happy with NONE of those things.

I look at an iPhone as a three year phone but an Android as a two year phone. Just a feeling .
    09-14-18 11:35 PM
    I look at an iPhone as a three year phone but an Android as a two year phone. Just a feeling .
    In fact apple still update their 6 years old 5S with ios 12. At least look it as a 5 years phone
    09-14-18 11:44 PM
    Enough already bob. What did you expect from people who just think “capacitive layer behind set of buttons” is the best invention of all history of tech? They don’t understand, they won’t.
    No one said it was the best invention ever - only that it satisfies a niche group of users who prefer it.
    chain13 likes this.
    09-15-18 12:14 AM
    just wait for key3 next year, then decide.
    09-15-18 03:25 AM
    $1449!!! Does it come with a vibrator and coffee maker?
    Erm...you want to use your phone as a sex toy & then want it to make you coffee afterwards?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-18 03:50 AM
    No one said it was the best invention ever - only that it satisfies a niche group of users who prefer it.
    I’m not refering to you, I refer to people who said that apple didn’t innovate
    09-15-18 04:06 AM
    just wait for key3 next year, then decide.
    I will also wait for the KEY3. I now have the Motion which I believe is an amazing device especially for its price. When hearing the stories about the KEY2 I constantly get the feeling something is a little off. While I really would like to go back to having a PKB, I think there are too many things TCL should have done better. A wobbly space bar, bad quality camera, no screen improvement, still using these archaic capacitive buttons. And then priced for 650 euro. It's just too much.

I think they relied too much on the fact that people want this device with a PKB and would take the other things for granted. I won't.

For the KEY3 I need:

- on-screen buttons so a bit bigger screen
    - preferably an AMOLED panel
    - 4000mah battery

Then I will buy.
    09-15-18 04:28 AM
    Physical keyboard on cellphone is not that critically important to me, I usually use laptop or desktop when at home or workplace..once my priv broke down, I've been using iphone and am relatively happy with it..choosing between the 2 above I'l go with iphone..

Key3/4 can be an option.
    09-15-18 04:51 AM
    Erm...you want to use your phone as a sex toy & then want it to make you coffee afterwards?

Posted via CB10
    Are there any guidelines on this site regarding sense of humor?
    09-15-18 07:11 AM
    Are there any guidelines on this site regarding sense of humor?
    Let's both hope not.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-18 08:28 AM
    I think of Apple as a five-year phone (which I wouldn't be able to use effectively for my work) and an Android as a three to four-year phone that is usable, though far from optimal.

Meanwhile, in a year my Z10 will have been a six and a half-year phone whose obvious short-comings are almost irrelevant for my day-to-day work.

09-15-18 08:58 AM
    Honestly, if one is happy with iOS, Apple's apps and lock-in strategies, and the value proposition that an iPhone represents, there is no reason not to buy one.

Personally, I am happy with NONE of those things.

Apps work best on iOS. It's proven. The advantages a hardware and software integrated device brings such as full capability of apps even on the Apple Watch versus any android smart watch & it's limited use, is far more useful than having something half a$sed just because Apple has it. I am very very happy with these things, the same way hub on bb10 allowed us to reply without having the said app open.
    09-15-18 09:05 AM
    I’m not refering to you, I refer to people who said that apple didn’t innovate
    Again, because they don't. You can list all of their product KSPs but that doesn't change the facts I mentioned in my previous post (the ones you apparently failed to comprehend).

Apple is good at marketing, not at innovation. They buy innovations and combine them with their existing products. The way you are painfully militant about this makes me wonder if someone changed your Apple forums bookmark to redirect to us as some sort of practical joke.
    09-15-18 09:27 AM
    I think of Apple as a five-year phone (which I wouldn't be able to use effectively for my work) and an Android as a three to four-year phone that is usable, though far from optimal.

Meanwhile, in a year my Z10 will have been a six and a half-year phone whose obvious short-comings are almost irrelevant for my day-to-day work.

Comparing all touch phones , why is Android better than iOS for mailing and texting ?
    09-15-18 09:43 AM
    Apps work best on iOS. It's proven. The advantages a hardware and software integrated device brings such as full capability of apps even on the Apple Watch versus any android smart watch & it's limited use, is far more useful than having something half a$sed just because Apple has it. I am very very happy with these things, the same way hub on bb10 allowed us to reply without having the said app open.
    I agree. If you like opening different apps for different tasks in the iOS model, and you like the iOS interface, including notifications, it's a very secure and stable platform.

But it's not one I can actively work in efficiently for 6-8 hours a day. It's lack of native file management, reliance on iCloud, home screen-based navigation, lack of integrated Hub, etc. means that I can only enjoy media on it, where I use a single app for an extended period.
    09-15-18 09:50 AM
    Comparing all touch phones , why is Android better than iOS for mailing and texting ?
    Speaking for myself only,

1. No Hub for iOS is an absolute deal-breaker. It's just too laborious to monitor all of my work-related email accounts (I currently have 6.), and calendars.
    2. Account segregation: Apple doesn't make it easy to keep contacts segregated by account. I have to track thousands of contacts and never confuse which of my clients owns each relationship.
    3. Lack of local file management. I have to use apps to access cloud storage accounts, which means I can't draft emails with attachments unless I use those cloud-based storage apps. This is slow and inefficient.
    4. Lack of Flick-to-Type slows me down.
    5. I find the VKB to be inferior to BlackBerry's in general.
    09-15-18 10:08 AM
    Let's both hope not.

Posted via CB10
    Good one!
    09-15-18 10:20 AM
    C: None of the above.
    chain13 likes this.
    09-15-18 10:23 AM
    haha it wasn’t my intention at all to start a debate on what is innovation.

Basically to me innovation is to bring something that hasn’t been done before.

Some here seem to say that Apple doesn’t innovate because they didn’t bring the AMOLED screen and the Qi charging to market.

To me coding a software that makes apps need half the RAM of Android is innovation.

Or bringing features to a smart watch that no one else did... that’s innovation (BTW ECG stands for electro cardio gram).

Or simply packing the smallest bluetooth headset, that’s innovation.

Facial ID that maps a 3D image of the face on a smartphone, that’s innovation.

7nm chips is a huge innovation. It’s an innovation for Qualcomm, Apple and that chinese company that I forgot the name.

BES was innovation.

So was the capacitive keyboard

Even BIS with the push email.

The a manufacturer innovate, the more competition will struggle to catch them up.

And NO! Innovation is not INVENTION!

Apple didn’t invent the bluetooth headset

Apple did not invent the 7nm chips

Apple did not invent the ECG

So PLEASE stop mixing things up!
    09-15-18 10:37 AM
    Speaking for myself only,

1. No Hub for iOS is an absolute deal-breaker. It's just too laborious to monitor all of my work-related email accounts (I currently have 6.), and calendars.
    2. Account segregation: Apple doesn't make it easy to keep contacts segregated by account. I have to track thousands of contacts and never confuse which of my clients owns each relationship.
    3. Lack of local file management. I have to use apps to access cloud storage accounts, which means I can't draft emails with attachments unless I use those cloud-based storage apps. This is slow and inefficient.
    4. Lack of Flick-to-Type slows me down.
    5. I find the VKB to be inferior to BlackBerry's in general.
    So when you say Android you mean BlackBerry Android.

I am not sure how many accounts the iOS will aggregate . I have only two . It puts my two accounts together and you can view them separately. I don’t miss the Hub . I had trouble with the Android hub but it is probably better now.

I am not sure about the contacts though, perhaps you are correct. The iPhone now has a file manager (maybe not as good).

I do prefer the BlackBerry VKB.

Regardless, for most users the device itself is more important than the VKB. This is where BlackBerry runs out of gas. There will not be a high end device comparable to a Samsung high end or iPhones. Their mid level BlackBerry branded devices appear to be over priced.

For many consumers, Apple has a huge advantage over all other phones in that they have brick and mortar stores. You can deal with a real person should problems arise.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    09-15-18 10:39 AM
    So when you say Android you mean BlackBerry Android.

I am not sure how many accounts the iOS will aggregate . I have only two . It puts my two accounts together and you can view them separately. I don’t miss the Hub . I had trouble with the Android hub but it is probably better now.

I am not sure about the contacts though, perhaps you are correct. The iPhone now has a file manager (maybe not as good).

I do prefer the BlackBerry VKB.

Regardless, for most users the device itself is more important than the VKB. This is where BlackBerry runs out of gas. There will not be a high end device comparable to a Samsung high end or iPhones. Their mid level BlackBerry branded devices appear to be over priced.

For many consumers, Apple has a huge advantage over all other phones in that they have brick and mortar stores. You can deal with a real person should problems arise.
    So, you're arguing that Apple will outsell BlackBerry? That's a bold prediction! LOL.
    09-15-18 10:53 AM
    So, you're arguing that Apple will outsell BlackBerry? That's a bold prediction! LOL.
    Let’s switch this around. What can BLackBerry do to move beyond a niche product?

How can they make a device that would appeal to the broad range of Enterprise buyers.? The software is good but the Motion was not even close to ticking all the boxes.
    anon(9188202) and krazyatom like this.
    09-15-18 11:02 AM
289 ... 34567 ...