Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I just got a new SIM card from Verizon. Internet works. I can surf the web but I can not make or receive phone calls or make or receive text messages. I had cdma free feature installed last night. What can be wrong? Do I have to wait longer for it to kick in or can I do something on my end to help?
    06-13-19 08:26 PM
    I just got a new SIM card from Verizon. Internet works. I can surf the web but I can not make or receive phone calls or make or receive text messages. I had cdma free feature installed last night. What can be wrong? Do I have to wait longer for it to kick in or can I do something on my end to help?
    It sounds like you are on VZW attempting to use a Key2 which isn’t certified and not a Key2 LE which is certified. I’ve been heavily criticized for warning prospective Key2 buyers about this. Officially, VZW only supports LE and with LTE only, this shouldn’t be allowed to happen.

Apparently, VZW approves or blocks devices by IMEI or SIM if device isn’t listed certified. If the VZW rep lists your device and SIM as the LE, you should get everything fine. If you’re able to convince a rep on the phone or via online chat that previous rep erroneously listed device and request it be updated to reflect LE model.
    roguerebellions likes this.
    06-13-19 09:55 PM
    Hello Mr. Finley. It's not my intention to heavily criticize you but to engage in dialogue and hopefully learn from you. When I went inside the verizon store the employee said he could not find the imei number so he assigned me a different number from a model that was on the website (or from his computer - presumably a BlackBerry Key2 LE).
    06-13-19 10:26 PM
    Hello Mr. Finley. It's not my intention to heavily criticize you but to engage in dialogue and hopefully learn from you. When I went inside the verizon store the employee said he could not find the imei number so he assigned me a different number from a model that was on the website (or from his computer - presumably a BlackBerry Key2 LE).
    You’re fine as I didn’t mean you.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...l#post13403803

This is good place for possible solutions.
    06-14-19 05:38 AM
    SMS and mobile data are different channels. SMS was born when there was no mobile data. It does not need it. You can turn off mobile data and SMS still works.
    Last edited by CrackPriv; 06-14-19 at 10:20 AM.
    06-14-19 07:50 AM
    Your rep gave you a poor solution. You may want to go to a different store. There are tables that cross reference device type and IMEI. As a result, your device may be mis-provisioned.

To get your IMEI, go to phone and dial *#06#

Or go into settings

Or go into the bootscreens to get the scannable barcodes with the IMEI
    06-14-19 10:39 AM
    Your rep gave you a poor solution. You may want to go to a different store. There are tables that cross reference device type and IMEI. As a result, your device may be mis-provisioned.

To get your IMEI, go to phone and dial *#06#

Or go into settings

Or go into the bootscreens to get the scannable barcodes with the IMEI
    As I understand, the IMEI has less to do with problem and more the SIM card and CDMAless settings . The IMEI for the account just needs to be for a certified VZW device and then swap into the Key2 at that point. I believe the process is more about spoofing a certified device and less about properly identifying the Key2 since it’s not technically approved to begin with.
    06-14-19 01:49 PM
    As I understand, the IMEI has less to do with problem and more the SIM card and CDMAless settings . The IMEI for the account just needs to be for a certified VZW device and then swap into the Key2 at that point. I believe the process is more about spoofing a certified device and less about properly identifying the Key2 since it’s not technically approved to begin with.
    You are probably correct as I am less familiar with VZ's convoluted setup with both LTE/UMTS and CDMA.

For most LTE carriers, there is a biller, a Home Subscriber Server (HSS) and reference / config tables. (Not to mention other hooks/lookups, like the blacklist, etc).

IMSI (SIM card) and IMEI are passed to the radio access network during handshake/logon. These and other data are resolved by the HSS to identify, validate and attach a device as phone number +11234567890 onto the network.

When IMSI/IMEI combinations change, the HSS and biller validate what the correct provisioning should be and push that. This is what allows you to pull a SIM card from one device to another. SIM insertion triggers the systems to provision the correct voice/text/data access, based on the reference data tables.

It's also why you (specifically) have VoLTE/HD audio on your carrier unlocked device. The tables never registered your old and new K1 as separate "device types."
    06-14-19 04:29 PM
    You are probably correct as I am less familiar with VZ's convoluted setup with both LTE/UMTS and CDMA.

For most LTE carriers, there is a biller, a Home Subscriber Server (HSS) and reference / config tables. (Not to mention other hooks/lookups, like the blacklist, etc).

IMSI (SIM card) and IMEI are passed to the radio access network during handshake/logon. These and other data are resolved by the HSS to identify, validate and attach a device as phone number +11234567890 onto the network.

When IMSI/IMEI combinations change, the HSS and biller validate what the correct provisioning should be and push that. This is what allows you to pull a SIM card from one device to another. SIM insertion triggers the systems to provision the correct voice/text/data access, based on the reference data tables.

It's also why you (specifically) have VoLTE/HD audio on your carrier unlocked device. The tables never registered your old and new K1 as separate "device types."
    Very interesting to know...
    06-15-19 09:45 PM
    just an update. I am now able to make and receive phone calls and send out text message but still can not receive them. I've been through the wringer with Verizon and they made sure to add HD phone calls enabled but for some reason they can not add cdma less feature to my phone
    06-19-19 09:45 PM
    also I thought I'd mention that one of the tier 2 technician said that cdma-less is specifically for devices like tablets and wearables so I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do
    06-19-19 09:47 PM
    just an update. I am now able to make and receive phone calls and send out text message but still can not receive them. I've been through the wringer with Verizon and they made sure to add HD phone calls enabled but for some reason they can not add cdma less feature to my phone
    What app are you using for SMS messages? As far as I know, only the Google Messages app and VZW Messages app will allow you to receive messages on the KEY2 on VZW, even if properly provisioned.
    06-19-19 10:25 PM
    I am using vzw messages app but still nothing. something interesting to note though when I click on activate account it does not allow me to click on it or a pop up shows up and a bar tries to fill up then it disappears
    06-20-19 12:24 AM
    I am using vzw messages app but still nothing. something interesting to note though when I click on activate account it does not allow me to click on it or a pop up shows up and a bar tries to fill up then it disappears
    You didn't follow the right procedure. The only way to get a Key2 to work is to activate a Key2 LE on your account first and make sure everything is working, then take that SIM and put it in the Key2.
    06-21-19 12:12 PM
    You didn't follow the right procedure. The only way to get a Key2 to work is to activate a Key2 LE on your account first and make sure everything is working, then take that SIM and put it in the Key2.
    With an uncertified device, there’s no right procedure, just variations of extreme magic and prayer....
    06-21-19 10:20 PM
    With an uncertified device, there’s no right procedure, just variations of extreme magic and prayer....
    It seems like everyone who has done it that way has gotten it to work.
    06-22-19 12:09 PM
    It seems like everyone who has done it that way has gotten it to work.
    "Seems like" are the key but nonscientific words here. The method of using the Key2 LE and swapping out SIM is actually no different than using ANY other VZW certified non-CDMA or CDMA-less device.

It's the same technique we've been doing with GSM devices on AT&T for last few years to spoof it's carrier devices for enhanced calling features, with limited results.

What I suspect actually generates success is when a phone rep goes to activate the Key2 LE and the IMEI comes up as Key2 regular model. I suspect the rep just corrects the system by overriding and telling system device is LE when it's not.

The problem is that no one can guarantee with any certainty if this method will allow device to remain function on VZW reasonably indefinite or break sometimes like what happens with newer AT&T IMEI random system checks.The

If the Key2 user wants to attempt, try a cheap VZW LTE only device first. The LE seems an expensive test for possible failure unless keeping both devices. The reality is that for basic service with LTE, why is VZW allowed to require certification when even AT&T, it's partner in crime, allows basic calling features without certification and doesn't block service.

If you can afford both LE and standard Key2, go for it but don't complain when it possibly does break. I own neither device yet as I'm using two KEYones, carrier locked 3/32 BE and factory unlocked 4/64 BE on AT&T with XR as well. I'm good for awhile, without the mighty VZW getting my cash as well.

Either way, best of luck....
    06-22-19 01:01 PM
    After three weeks without the ability to receive sms text messages, countless hours on the phone with Verizon tier 2 tech support, promises to call me back or e-mail me I have decided to leave Big Red. I have been with them since I was 18 and I am now 33. I love the Key2 and it's the phone for me. I went to a Cricket Wireless dealer and I must say the phone shines. I know there is a lot of controversy over leaving a network over a phone but I did it and in the process was able to use the phone I prefer and even save a significant amount of money each month.
    07-03-19 01:28 AM
    I thought I should mention that itier 2 techs said that they included my IMEI # in a DMD list but after three weeks they couldn't make heads or tails as to what was going on and it appears that they didn't know whether or not CDMA less feature was added to my account.
    07-03-19 01:30 AM
    After three weeks without the ability to receive sms text messages, countless hours on the phone with Verizon tier 2 tech support, promises to call me back or e-mail me I have decided to leave Big Red. I have been with them since I was 18 and I am now 33. I love the Key2 and it's the phone for me. I went to a Cricket Wireless dealer and I must say the phone shines. I know there is a lot of controversy over leaving a network over a phone but I did it and in the process was able to use the phone I prefer and even save a significant amount of money each month.
    If Cricket's service works for you then you are better off. In my area ATT just isn't as good as VZW... and most MVNO do have limits compared to the primary network supplier. Think Cricket had unlimited plans with 3 Mbps & 8Mbps last year, and then there is the Congestion Management network policy that gives AT&T users preference over Cricket users. I've been to some sporting events and Disney World where those policies were issues for others with me that use another MVNO. Just saying you can't compare Verizon's (or ATT or T-Mobile) Service to any of the cheaper MVNO's. But I think for many what the MVNOs offer, it is an option to consider.
    07-03-19 10:56 AM