I touched on this question in another post, but that post was really mostly about some other issues, so I'm asking here about just one issue. I have the Optiemus-made international version. (It was bought by mistake, but that's another story.) I've read throughout this forum that Optiemus is poor about updates. I've found that to be true. I've called and emailed and they don't even respond.

Having said that, I'm going to confess ignorance about the whole "update" process. What does one gain by getting updates? is it just added features, or speed, or am I exposing myself security-wise to very bad things? In short, I know that operating systems and other software get periodic updates, but those updates have always taken place in the background flawlessly with my previous BlackBerrys, so I've taken them for granted. Since I now find myself unable to get updates, I'm wondering exactly what that means for me going forward. Thanks in advance for any input.
    07-29-19 10:25 AM
    I touched on this question in another post, but that post was really mostly about some other issues, so I'm asking here about just one issue. I have the Optiemus-made international version. (It was bought by mistake, but that's another story.) I've read throughout this forum that Optiemus is poor about updates. I've found that to be true. I've called and emailed and they don't even respond.

Having said that, I'm going to confess ignorance about the whole "update" process. What does one gain by getting updates? is it just added features, or speed, or am I exposing myself security-wise to very bad things? In short, I know that operating systems and other software get periodic updates, but those updates have always taken place in the background flawlessly with my previous BlackBerrys, so I've taken them for granted. Since I now find myself unable to get updates, I'm wondering exactly what that means for me going forward. Thanks in advance for any input.
    The monthly updates are security updates and it doesn't look like Optiemus Infracom is going to be pushing anymore out in the near future (to put it optimistically). However, you can manually install updates via the autoloaders (make sure each one you install is specified for your Indian variant, BBF100-6): https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...aders-1157839/
    07-29-19 10:44 AM
    The monthly updates are security updates and it doesn't look like Optiemus Infracom is going to be pushing anymore out in the near future (to put it optimistically). However, you can manually install updates via the autoloaders (make sure each one you install is specified for your Indian variant, BBF100-6): https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...aders-1157839/
    Actually you can't. The Indian version has its own unique OS signature.
    07-29-19 11:38 AM
    Actually you can't. The Indian version has its own unique OS signature.
    Some autoloader updates do incorporate the Indian variant's signature.
    07-29-19 12:58 PM
    Thanks for both responses. So how do I figure out which autoloader incorporates the proper signature? And is searching for autoloaders periodically a new part of what I must accept going forward? But mostly, what exactly is my "risk" if I simply don't chase these elusive updates? Thanks....
    07-29-19 10:28 PM
    Thanks for both responses. So how do I figure out which autoloader incorporates the proper signature? And is searching for autoloaders periodically a new part of what I must accept going forward? But mostly, what exactly is my "risk" if I simply don't chase these elusive updates? Thanks....
    Last one we ever saw Indian signatures for was ABT974 from April.

And yes, autoloaders are your only hope going forward.
    07-29-19 11:14 PM
    What are my risks going forward, if there aren't any future updates provided? Thanks.....
    07-30-19 09:56 AM
    What are my risks going forward, if there aren't any future updates provided? Thanks.....
    Mostly just a lack of security updates or bug fixes. In my opinion, as long as your not downloading apps from questionable sources, your exposure to risk is probably not terribly high. But that's just my feeling anyway, as I don't keep too many important/irreplaceable things on my phone.
    07-30-19 11:03 AM

This can give you and idea....
    https://www.androidauthority.com/and...pdates-960483/

I'd look at these each month to understand what you are missing.
    https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/

A big consideration is how you use your device... Stay off the pron sites, P2P, bitorent, minimize downloads, don't stream video from just anywhere. Don't download apps you don't absolutely need and turn off permissions/notifications/background activity. Don't click on unfamiliar URL links. You could be good for years without updates...

Updates and Patches are like Insurance... it's nice to have, but you might not need it.
    07-30-19 11:27 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I checked out the links. Very useful. I'm not a big app guy, nor do I use any of the types of sites you mentioned directly above. No social media at all. In light of what I've been reading on this thread and the links provided, my two biggest exposures are financial apps (my bank and various credit cards) and Dropbox. For the financial apps, I'm just going to accept whatever risk there is. One of them is Capital One, which I just read was compromised yesterday to the tune of 100 million accounts. So if the bad guys can get into big banks directly, finding my passwords through my phone is probably the least of my worries.

Dropbox might be another story. I use my phone for business. I have various Office files stored in Dropbox on my desktop, which then are synced to my phone, so I can access them on the road. Included in these files are many user names and passwords. I'm going to stew on the best way to address that.
    07-30-19 12:08 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I checked out the links. Very useful. I'm not a big app guy, nor do I use any of the types of sites you mentioned directly above. No social media at all. In light of what I've been reading on this thread and the links provided, my two biggest exposures are financial apps (my bank and various credit cards) and Dropbox. For the financial apps, I'm just going to accept whatever risk there is. One of them is Capital One, which I just read was compromised yesterday to the tune of 100 million accounts. So if the bad guys can get into big banks directly, finding my passwords through my phone is probably the least of my worries.

Dropbox might be another story. I use my phone for business. I have various Office files stored in Dropbox on my desktop, which then are synced to my phone, so I can access them on the road. Included in these files are many user names and passwords. I'm going to stew on the best way to address that.
    Have a good strong password for Dropbox and you should be good. But try to avoid storing usernames and passwords in the "open". Lots of people I know keep a text file called "passwords" and in it they have the site name, the username and the password. It's very convenient, but it's a big no, no. Along with letting your browser just store all those for you...

Use an encrypted password app or at least encrypt the file.

But yes, most the time if you data is stolen... it from someone else SERVER, not a mobile device. Hackers want volume...
    07-30-19 03:58 PM
    Great advice. That, and the links and tips above from you and the others are greatly appreciated. I'm out of town, but when I get back I'm going to "clean up my act" on this issue. And if and when BB comes out with a new device, I'm going to triple check it's made for the US and comes with updates.
    08-01-19 08:05 AM
    hardip.singh@optiemus.com. you can send him an email. he is the CEO of Opteimius and he should know how badly they are messing with customer experience.
    Jay Rosenthal likes this.
    08-01-19 08:57 AM
    hardip.singh@optiemus.com. you can send him an email. he is the CEO of Opteimius and he should know how badly they are messing with customer experience.
    I suspect he has more worries than some unhappy phone buyers. I also doubt he has any future plans with BlackBerry.... right now they are fighting about payments.
    08-01-19 09:25 AM
    Can i install this update for the BBF100-1?
    08-01-19 11:35 AM
    I'm going to contact that CEO when I get back home. I agree with your instincts, though. I don't think I'll get anything out of him. What I find disappointing here, though, isn't Optiemus. It's BB. When you hire a vendor to manufacture a product for you, you have to state the standards you require. Anyway, I'll report back as I know more.
    08-02-19 11:52 AM
    I'm going to contact that CEO when I get back home. I agree with your instincts, though. I don't think I'll get anything out of him. What I find disappointing here, though, isn't Optiemus. It's BB. When you hire a vendor to manufacture a product for you, you have to state the standards you require. Anyway, I'll report back as I know more.
    They didn't hire vendors to manufacture for them.

They licenced the brand-name to other companies to do with it what they wish (in their respective territories).
    08-02-19 11:59 AM