I poked around the forum and apologize if this has been answered already. My Key2 screen cracked and I'm a businessman who couldn't wait a week for the screen to be delivered and installed, so I figured I'd get a new phone right away and keep the repaired one as a backup. On eBay and Amazon, everyone who was selling an International Version advertised it as such. I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, so I figured I'd be safe and buy the "regular" version. I found a vendor on eBay selling a new one and it did NOT say "International Version." Sure enough, it was International. I'm disappointed in their lack of honesty, but it seems to be working fine, so I'm inclined to just leave it alone. Here's my question: I am leaving for Montego Bay, Jamaica, on Wednesday. Could this phone be a blessing in disguise for me, in that it will "operate better" there because it's "international"?
    06-08-19 08:59 AM
    I poked around the forum and apologize if this has been answered already. My Key2 screen cracked and I'm a businessman who couldn't wait a week for the screen to be delivered and installed, so I figured I'd get a new phone right away and keep the repaired one as a backup. On eBay and Amazon, everyone who was selling an International Version advertised it as such. I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, so I figured I'd be safe and buy the "regular" version. I found a vendor on eBay selling a new one and it did NOT say "International Version." Sure enough, it was International. I'm disappointed in their lack of honesty, but it seems to be working fine, so I'm inclined to just leave it alone. Here's my question: I am leaving for Montego Bay, Jamaica, on Wednesday. Could this phone be a blessing in disguise for me, in that it will "operate better" there because it's "international"?
    Too many variables that you haven’t identified to answer your question properly. In general, the international version of the Key2 is being sold to USA buyers due to shortage of the correct USA models.
    06-08-19 09:06 PM
    @frontier1958 what is the PRD of the device you purchased?
    06-08-19 09:24 PM
    Which variables can I provide? Also, what does a "correct" USA version have or do that the international version doesn't? Thanks.
    06-09-19 08:46 AM
    Where can I find the PRD? My model is BBF100-6. Build number is ABN088. Android version is 8.1.0. Android security patch level is December 1, 2018. Hardware version is 09. Does this help? Thanks.
    06-09-19 08:50 AM
    Where can I find the PRD?
    Open your dialpad and dial *#837837#

The PRD will be displayed at the bottom.
    06-09-19 11:28 AM
    It says APBI-PRD63828031. Thanks.
    06-09-19 12:48 PM
    It says APBI-PRD63828031. Thanks.
    You have an Indian variant, optimized to support local bands and works best in Asia, Europe, Africa and Oceania.

Of all variants it may have the widest support spread; read here from more information:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...iants-1143314/
    06-09-19 02:38 PM
    To be honest, I'm not sure what the problem is. Considering your able to carry two phones, you'd have the best of both worlds! One phone for international use, and one for local North American use. I'd just keep the phone and be happy that your covered in all cases! Once your other phone is repaired, you'd be home free.
    06-09-19 03:04 PM
    Thanks for your informative reply. I read the link on my model and all I could glean from it was what you stated above, meaning the areas it's optimized for. I'm left with a few questions. First, the phone is working perfectly here in West Texas. Can I assume it will work perfectly across the US? It's extremely rare I leave the country. The trip mentioned above is just a vacation. Second, somewhere in these forums I read that international versions don't get automatic updates. Is this your opinion as well? If so, can I proactively get those updates and will my phone accept them? Third, is it not incumbent on the vendor to disclose when selling the phone it's the international version? The vendor I bought from didn't disclose that. Many thanks in advance for all your input.
    06-09-19 09:17 PM
    I probably wasn't clear enough. I apologize. I only have service for one phone, so I could physically carry two and swap the SIM card if the international version didn't work in some spot, but I really don't want to carry two phones, let alone have to switch cards. I bought this new one because I'm going on a vacation to the Carribean and my old one won't be back from repairs before I'm gone. Due to the nature of my business, I really can't go a week without a phone, so I ate $500 for the new one. And I'm not happy that the vendor didn't disclose it was the international version. I feel he should have. All the other vendors on eBay and Amazon make it clear which version it is.
    06-09-19 09:22 PM
    First, the phone is working perfectly here in West Texas. Can I assume it will work perfectly across the US? It's extremely rare I leave the country. The trip mentioned above is just a vacation.
    No, you cannot assume that. Different bands are available in different parts of the US; depending on your carrier, your mileage will vary.
    Second, somewhere in these forums I read that international versions don't get automatic updates. Is this your opinion as well? If so, can I proactively get those updates and will my phone accept them?
    Your device is not supported by BlackBerry Mobile; rather it is supported by Optiemus Infracom which are known to be slow in their update release cycle. You may be able to download autoloaders here on CrackBerry.
    Third, is it not incumbent on the vendor to disclose when selling the phone it's the international version?
    Not necessarily. If they provided the model number, homework completion is on the buyer as far as I know.
    06-09-19 09:27 PM
    Well-stated. I appreciate the clarity. Does it not follow from your response to Q1 that even the US version might not work everywhere in the US? Or is the US version made in such a way that all bands used here are built into the phone? As far as Q2, I'll search this site for an autoloader when I get back. And Q3, well, I guess it's caveat emptor. I was thrown off when I saw so many vendors explicitly listing their devices as "international" if they weren't the US version. I took it for granted that the lack of that disclosure meant it was not international. Lesson learned. I guess if the phone works as flawlessly as my old one, I'll just move on. If not, when my old phone gets its new screen, I'll switch back and try to find a place in my heart for my $500 paperweight. Again, thanks for everything you've shared.
    06-09-19 10:53 PM
    Well-stated. I appreciate the clarity. Does it not follow from your response to Q1 that even the US version might not work everywhere in the US? Or is the US version made in such a way that all bands used here are built into the phone?
    The US variant is optimized for all US GSM carriers. I do not know which bands were omitted from the international variant that would be supported / required in some region stateside. This information is certainly available around here on CrackBerry or on https://m.gsmarena.com/
    06-09-19 11:29 PM