One thing I really like about the Librem business model is that the phone should last indefinitely, so user replaceable batteries become more important. The are not building a bloated OS that runs increasingly bloated apps, so the real limit to their phones will be changing radio hardware requirements.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Nothing lasts indefinitely. Especially with software and operating systems that become obsolete.
    04-14-19 10:56 AM
    Removable batteries are a thing of the past. They get better more reliable batteries built and and don't have the worry of battery doors getting loose or connections not connecting. Plus with all they try to cram into a thin body it will never be something that returns. Like others have said there is always those plug in battery packs.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    04-14-19 11:07 AM
    Nothing lasts indefinitely. Especially with software and operating systems that become obsolete.
    Not true. There are many, many systems in the world whose requirements haven't changed in decades. I have a classic NES system that is just as much fun to play today as it was thirty years ago. The Librem phone is built with a more sustainable model, as the basic requirements of a mobile phone only change as fast as the mobile bands themselves. IOS and Android code bases and complexity keep growing, requiring faster hardware and more memory, but that's a choice, not a law of technology.

04-14-19 01:04 PM
    Not true. There are many, many systems in the world whose requirements haven't changed in decades. I have a classic NES system that is just as much fun to play today as it was thirty years ago. The Librem phone is built with a more sustainable model, as the basic requirements of a mobile phone only change as fast as the mobile bands themselves. IOS and Android code bases and complexity keep growing, requiring faster hardware and more memory, but that's a choice, not a law of technology.

Sure, and you could ride a horse to work everyday if you wanted to but I’m guessing you wouldn’t.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-14-19 01:09 PM
    Sure, and you could ride a horse to work everyday if you wanted to but I’m guessing you wouldn’t.
    You're not seriously suggesting that the choice between wired and wireless headphones is analogous to the choice between a horse and modern transit are you? Modern transportation systems transformed the world. Wireless audio is a gimmick that provides a little convenience at the cost of sound quality, needless radiation exposure, and personal expense.

Sometimes newer tech is better. But often it's just a gimmick.

I have no problems with others enjoying the convenience of Bluetooth audio. But other than convenience, it's not very significant.

04-14-19 02:29 PM
    You're not seriously suggesting that the choice between wired and wireless headphones is analogous to the choice between a horse and modern transit are you? Modern transportation systems transformed the world. Wireless audio is a gimmick that provides a little convenience at the cost of sound quality, needless radiation exposure, and personal expense.

Sometimes newer tech is better. But often it's just a gimmick.

I have no problems with others enjoying the convenience of Bluetooth audio. But other than convenience, it's not very significant.

What I’m saying is that is your perspective, not necessarily fact.

Again, Bluetooth provides mobility. It provides convenience. It provides connecting to multiple devices without having to change wires. That is not a gimmick.

Just because I rarely use Bluetooth doesn’t mean I don’t understand its benefits to the majority.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-14-19 02:34 PM
    What I’m saying is that is your perspective, not necessarily fact.

Again, Bluetooth provides mobility. It provides convenience. It provides connecting to multiple devices without having to change wires. That is not a gimmick.

Just because I rarely use Bluetooth doesn’t mean I don’t understand its benefits to the majority.
    I'm not saying Bluetooth isn't useful. I use it constantly. But Bluetooth audio is only superior to wired audio in terms of convenience, not quality.

TgeekB likes this.
    04-14-19 02:50 PM
    I'm not saying Bluetooth isn't useful. I use it constantly. But Bluetooth audio is only superior to wired audio in terms of convenience, not quality.

Not to mention that Bluetooth probably isn't as healthy on the long term as good old wired headphones, due to whatever radiation is emitted, especially when the Bluetooth device is so close to the head.
    04-14-19 02:52 PM

I agree.
    04-14-19 03:24 PM
    Not to mention that Bluetooth probably isn't as healthy on the long term as good old wired headphones, due to whatever radiation is emitted, especially when the Bluetooth device is so close to the head.
    Bluetooth, radio waves, etc. - they’re all buzzing by our heads all day long. Let’s hope they’re not doing too much damage, I have to hold on to as many brain cells in my old age as I can!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-14-19 03:26 PM
    Bluetooth, radio waves, etc. - they’re all buzzing by our heads all day long. Let’s hope they’re not doing too much damage, I have to hold on to as many brain cells in my old age as I can!
    Right, but Bluetooth ones can be easily avoided by not having a headset/earphones so close to the head.

I also always make sure all devices are in airplane mode before going to sleep.
    04-14-19 03:35 PM
    Right, but Bluetooth ones can be easily avoided by not having a headset/earphones so close to the head.

If I remember correctly, radiation intensity is a function of the cube of distance, so proximity matters a lot.

04-14-19 03:41 PM

You get just as much radiation from your phone as you do Bluetooth earbuds. Neither have proven to cause cancer. Just think of how many people use them daily and have for years now. I’m fairly certain we would see some results by now.

With that being said, there’s nothing wrong with being cautious and I would never knock someone for not using them. We all have to make our own choices.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-14-19 03:43 PM
    You get just as much radiation from your phone as you do Bluetooth earbuds. Neither have proven to cause cancer. Just think of how many people use them daily and have for years now. I’m fairly certain we would see some results by now.

With that being said, there’s nothing wrong with being cautious and I would never knock someone for not using them. We all have to make our own choices.
    The animal analogue studies are concerning but not conclusive. However Bluetooth audio presents a greater concern due to dramatically increased length of exposure for many users, and in-ear phones also may increase exposure by a factor of 4x or more over on-ear phones.

I would not easily dismiss the idea that they may turn out to be quite harmful.

the_boon likes this.
    04-14-19 04:05 PM
    The animal analogue studies are concerning but not conclusive. However Bluetooth audio presents a greater concern due to dramatically increased length of exposure for many users, and in-ear phones also may increase exposure by a factor of 4x or more over on-ear phones.

I would not easily dismiss the idea that they may turn out to be quite harmful.

Right, I mean convenience has its price, right?

Wired headphones: Mess of knots that form themselves in your pocket, cable dangling around, could accidentally pull device off surface if moved the wrong way etc...

Bluetooth headphones: Easier to lose, need to be constantly recharged, emit radiation
    04-14-19 05:10 PM

Wired headphones: Mess of knots that form themselves in your pocket, cable dangling around, could accidentally pull device off surface if moved the wrong way etc...

Bluetooth headphones: Easier to lose, need to be constantly recharged, emit radiation
    Eenie, meenie....
    04-14-19 05:19 PM
    Devil's advocate on behalf of Bluetooth, regarding radiation.
    A cellphone uses much higher power transmission to connect longer distances. So if you're taking a call via a Bluetooth headset, that allows you to keep the high power transmitting phone away from your head, and you're only exposed to the 25ft range Bluetooth signal.
    TgeekB and kbz1960 like this.
    04-14-19 05:27 PM
    A cellphone uses much higher power transmission to connect longer distances. So if you're taking a call via a Bluetooth headset, that allows you to keep the high power transmitting phone away from your head, and you're only exposed to the 25ft range Bluetooth signal.
    That's one way of seeing it that I hadn't thought of
    04-14-19 06:28 PM

Is sound quality a consideration? For me, that's 99.999% of the weighting.

04-15-19 09:36 AM
    Yes. If you'ee replacing holding a phone to your ear with a Bluetooth headset, and take the headset off between calls, that analysis holds. The real risk with Bluetooth headphones is greater exposure time. Some people (like me) listen to hours of music a day. We don't know that it's dangerous, but there is a very real possibility that it could be, based on what we know from animal studies of electromagnetic radiation exposure.

04-15-19 09:44 AM
    Yes. If you'ee replacing holding a phone to your ear with a Bluetooth headset, and take the headset off between calls, that analysis holds. The real risk with Bluetooth headphones is greater exposure time. Some people (like me) listen to hours of music a day. We don't know that it's dangerous, but there is a very real possibility that it could be, based on what we know from animal studies of electromagnetic radiation exposure.

Idk about any animal studies, but I'm with you on radiation concerns. The wall-wart chargers really get me. So many of the knock offs are poorly made. On some you can even hear the transformers vibrating. I make a point to keep them far from my head when I'm sleeping. I've got enough problems to worry about without cooking my noodle every night
    04-15-19 10:12 PM
46 12