So, I've had my KEY2 since Mid September(so 7 months) and I've discovered that I've lost 14% of my battery capacity.

Quite alarming that in half a year I've lost so much, at this rate I'll end up with 70% or so capacity by the end of the year. Kind of disappointed as other manufacturers like Samsung recently promised less than 1% battery loss over a years time. I'm going to assume thats wrong and say it'll be closer to 5-10% but even then that's a lot better than the KEY2.

This brings up the importance of a removal battery so when it does begin to deteriorate then I can always swap out the battery and beging at 100% again.

I'm a heavy, heavy mobile user (manage multiple instagram accounts, youtube content creation - I edit all my stuff on the go on my KEY2, photo editing, vlogging, responding to emails and texts/calls) so I see a charging outlet sometimes once every two days, to sometimes three times a day!

I hope the end of carrying a spare battery isn't over!
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    04-12-19 02:40 AM
    Photo
    Attached Thumbnails The importance of a removable battery.-screenshot_20190412-003422.jpg  
    jhimmel likes this.
    04-12-19 02:41 AM
    hi, I had exactly the same worries you got above, and had a thread about it. End up, the AccuBattery app seems to provide errorneous info.
    04-12-19 02:57 AM
    Planned obsolencense.

In other words don't expect to see a removable battery any time soon
    Tsepz_GP and kbz1960 like this.
    04-12-19 05:40 AM
    Wonder if there's some early aging going on. From the factory, the battery might only meet its spec for a short time, then drop down to the "new norm" and stay there for a while.

Guess what I'm saying is 15% in the first year doesn't necessarily mean 15% per year; it might level off at around 85% for a while.
    04-12-19 06:12 AM
    I don't think they will. It will cost factory more and most phone manufacturer is not produce batteries.
    04-12-19 06:42 AM
    I can’t see your image but you may want to reset battery stats. This can happen on Android phone and it makes phone not to fully charge. Search the threads here or Google now to reset the battery stats. Perhaps that is the problem.
    In my experience, after using the phone for 6 months, I didn’t notice any significant hit on the battery.
    04-12-19 06:47 AM
    Regardless, with everything comes trade offs. Planned obsolescence is a big part of the problem or solution to phone sales depending on your side of transaction. Intermediate solution is when battery stops holding decent charge, buy a replacement battery and either install yourself or pay someone.

Every OEM relies on some level of planned obsolescence to drive new phone sales.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    04-12-19 07:28 AM
    Planned obsolencense.

In other words don't expect to see a removable battery any time soon
    We need this to happen to a certain extent. New phones to drive new sales to drive further advancement and evolution. Rinse and repeat. Or else we'd all still be using the Bold 9900, the best OG BlackBerry ever built.
    idssteve and AllanQuatermain like this.
    04-12-19 08:13 AM
    Btw changing the phone battery isn’t too hard on Key2. You just need to take the back cover off and then unplug the battery cable and glue. So once your warranty expires, you still can live with it
    04-12-19 09:20 PM
    Btw changing the phone battery isn’t too hard on Key2. You just need to take the back cover off and then unplug the battery cable and glue. So once your warranty expires, you still can live with it
    I was just about to ask about that! Thanks. Replacement batteries are available, and if one, like me, does not feel comfortable changing it, a reputable cell shop will. Also, by the time we need to replace batteries, our units will be off warranty, so won't affect that either. Had to do that with my iphone6. Rather painless really.
    04-12-19 10:33 PM
    until no body intended to supply fake battery of BB, it wouldn't happen... there were a lot of fake batteries in 9900 days in asia that do not work with battery mgr, some of them do not have safety vent, or temperature sensor which BB battery had. With current fake iphone industry booming in that neck of the woods, re-introduce removable battery, knowing the history of BB battery, it is not going to happen (better not happen). - less to do with planned obsolescenece.
    BergerKing likes this.
    04-13-19 06:43 AM
    The new Librem 5 phone will have a user removable/replaceable battery.

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

That won't matter to people who want to run Android, but it's great news for those of us who want to keep phones for 5+ years and are willing to sacrifice app compatibility.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-13-19 07:49 AM
    The new Librem 5 phone will have a user removable/replaceable battery.

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

That won't matter to people who want to run Android, but it's great news for those of us who want to keep phones for 5+ years and are willing to sacrifice app compatibility.

I could see myself owning this device, however, I would still need at least one Android/IOS phone for certain functions. I see this device appealing to BBOS or even more the BB10 faithful. I'm not sure how this would remain economic viable if other mobile OS to can't do it.

Also, most people won't dual carry. I'm even considering the benefits of using my eSIM feature in my XR and single carry but for now, I'm OK for the PKB feature.

I do like the idea, so, like owning all the BB10 models, at some point, I'll probably buy at least one, after hardware exists.
    04-13-19 10:04 AM
    I think that the Librem model would be a real choice for lots of defense contractors and others who have significant cyber threats to manage and want to reduce their attack surface. Also great for privacy buffs like me. I love that there is a hardware kill switch for the baseband so that you can prevent your carrier from tracking you when you don't need cell coverage.

04-13-19 10:57 AM
    So, I've had my KEY2 since Mid September(so 7 months) and I've discovered that I've lost 14% of my battery capacity.

Quite alarming that in half a year I've lost so much, at this rate I'll end up with 70% or so capacity by the end of the year. Kind of disappointed as other manufacturers like Samsung recently promised less than 1% battery loss over a years time. I'm going to assume thats wrong and say it'll be closer to 5-10% but even then that's a lot better than the KEY2.

This brings up the importance of a removal battery so when it does begin to deteriorate then I can always swap out the battery and beging at 100% again.

I'm a heavy, heavy mobile user (manage multiple instagram accounts, youtube content creation - I edit all my stuff on the go on my KEY2, photo editing, vlogging, responding to emails and texts/calls) so I see a charging outlet sometimes once every two days, to sometimes three times a day!

I hope the end of carrying a spare battery isn't over!
    It is sad that we now have to pay for something that was once free to do.

I remember the Blackberry 9900 Bold here in South Africa actually came with a spare battery and spare charging casing on some network packages, now we have to pay just to get a battery replaced on top of paying for the new battery itself.

Your usage is not abnormal at all, as MANY Social Media Community Managers do the same thing (hence some company profiles being caught tweeting from competitor produts, lol), also Uber as well as Bolt/other ride sharing service drivers have this issue to, with their phones constantly hooked up to High Accuracy GPS constantly and running Maps all day, many of them end up with phones that have to sit on a charger all day, because of the higher drain and recharge frequency, their batteries become trash very quickly, within about 6-8months of usage.
    04-13-19 01:14 PM
    It is sad that we now have to pay for something that was once free to do.

I remember the Blackberry 9900 Bold here in South Africa actually came with a spare battery and spare charging casing on some network packages, now we have to pay just to get a battery replaced on top of paying for the new battery itself.

Your usage is not abnormal at all, as MANY Social Media Community Managers do the same thing (hence some company profiles being caught tweeting from competitor produts, lol), also Uber as well as Bolt/other ride sharing service drivers have this issue to, with their phones constantly hooked up to High Accuracy GPS constantly and running Maps all day, many of them end up with phones that have to sit on a charger all day, because of the higher drain and recharge frequency, their batteries become trash very quickly, within about 6-8months of usage.
    The planned obsolescence model is so pervasive that people accept it, but it's horribly wasteful both economically and ecologically. Name another piece of electronics where someone would willingly replace a $1,000 product every two years!

Tsepz_GP likes this.
    04-13-19 01:22 PM
    The planned obsolescence model is so pervasive that people accept it, but it's horribly wasteful both economically and ecologically. Name another piece of electronics where someone would willingly replace a $1,000 product every two years!

Indeed. It is pure madness. I do it because I love technology, but it should not be the norm for everyone else.

Phone batteries should be lasting at least 5 years at their optimum capacity.

I can only imagine how much waste smartphones are creating, with all their varying non-biodegradable parts, and all this non removable battery stuff is exacerbating the problem.
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-13-19 01:30 PM
    Indeed. It is pure madness. I do it because I love technology, but it should not be the norm for everyone else.

Phone batteries should be lasting at least 5 years at their optimum capacity.
    If only that could be done with the current technology. Alas, Lithium Ion batteries have what is known as cycle limitations. Batteries have generally been geared towards fitting a certain format, and getting the most out of what is available.

Remember the Note 7 fiasco? They packed as much battery into the compartment as possible. Because they pushed the limit, the batteries tended to overheat, penetrate the case, and burst into flame.

Other phones have had the same problem as batteries age and swell. Penetrate that casing and poof! There it is!
    04-13-19 06:27 PM
    Really wish removable batteries would come back, but they very likely won't. The Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Samsung Galaxy S5, Nokia Lumia 950 XL, LG V20 and LG G5 were all amazing examples of top-notch devices with removable batteries. This whole unibody excuse is invalid and unnecessary. Phones don't need to be unibodied; they need to be functional and repairable.
    04-13-19 09:15 PM
    Really wish removable batteries would come back, but they very likely won't. The Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Samsung Galaxy S5, Nokia Lumia 950 XL, LG V20 and LG G5 were all amazing examples of top-notch devices with removable batteries. This whole unibody excuse is invalid and unnecessary. Phones don't need to be unibodied; they need to be functional and repairable.
    I thought it was about water proofing also?
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-13-19 10:07 PM
    What's the main use case for replaceable batteries?
    If it's daily swapping, how do you charge the second battery, and why not carry a portable USB recharger instead?
    If it's for replacing an old/expired/defective battery, then isn't the real requirement serviceability of the phone? Even if you need a tech, or a YouTube video for a DIY swap, that seems reasonable even every 2 years.
    TgeekB and app_Developer like this.
    04-13-19 10:32 PM
    My phone lost 9 percent in 18 months. In theory I should need a new battery at 80 percent . A new battery for a very popular phone is not that expensive.

I believe that Apple will replace a battery for free if your phone reaches 80 percent during the warranty period. I wonder about other OEM'S.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 04-14-19 at 01:54 AM.
    04-14-19 01:37 AM
    What's the main use case for replaceable batteries?
    If it's daily swapping, how do you charge the second battery, and why not carry a portable USB recharger instead?
    If it's for replacing an old/expired/defective battery, then isn't the real requirement serviceability of the phone? Even if you need a tech, or a YouTube video for a DIY swap, that seems reasonable even every 2 years.
    One thing I really like about the Librem business model is that the phone should last indefinitely, so user replaceable batteries become more important. The are not building a bloated OS that runs increasingly bloated apps, so the real limit to their phones will be changing radio hardware requirements.

04-14-19 07:13 AM
    One thing I really like about the Librem business model is that the phone should last indefinitely, so user replaceable batteries become more important. The are not building a bloated OS that runs increasingly bloated apps, so the real limit to their phones will be changing radio hardware requirements.

Thus 5G becomes another topic of discussion.
    04-14-19 07:23 AM
46 12