Several folks, including me, have questioned BBM's pricing strategy. But I submit that in developed countries folks will pay for what they want.

So, for instance, I took the family out for dinner Sunday. It was wholly optional. We went to a midrange place. The cost was roughly $200. We could have gone to a more expensive or less expensive place. We probably could have had a better meal at home. We chose to go out because we wanted something different, maybe a little special (or not). Either way it was $200 for a wholly discretionary purchase. A purchase with a several hour lifespan.

Compare that to a phone. Yes, one can get a less expensive phone than a BlackBerry. One can get phones with arguably better specs at the lower price point too. You are buying a package. Every phone has compromises. Pick the one that best suits you - the one you WANT. If you choose something else, is suspect BBM will not be insulted.

But if you are here, you value some component of what BBM offers. It could be a handful of things, but it is likely the PKB. Of course you are free to purchase one of the multitude of other PKB devices. Oh wait, their aren't any. So do you want or need a PKB? Is it worth double the price of a midrange dinner out? Get an LE. Is worth more get a K2. If you really want RED... you get the point.

And if the price new is too much, look at the resale market.

Bottom line folks, get what you want. It is a free country. Complain if you want. It is a free country (at least most places). But at least know what you are doing. I bought a K2. I believed then, and now, that it was too highly priced to attract new adopters. I felt, then, and now, that the LE price point made sense. I might be correct or not.
    The proof will be in the sales.
    YDShine, rarsen, arkenoi and 2 others like this.
    02-26-19 07:15 AM
    Several folks, including me, have questioned BBM's pricing strategy. But I submit that in developed countries folks will pay for what they want.

So, for instance, I took the family out for dinner Sunday. It was wholly optional. We went to a midrange place. The cost was roughly $200. We could have gone to a more expensive or less expensive place. We probably could have had a better meal at home. We chose to go out because we wanted something different, maybe a little special (or not). Either way it was $200 for a wholly discretionary purchase. A purchase with a several hour lifespan.

Compare that to a phone. Yes, one can get a less expensive phone than a BlackBerry. One can get phones with arguably better specs at the lower price point too. You are buying a package. Every phone has compromises. Pick the one that best suits you - the one you WANT. If you choose something else, is suspect BBM will not be insulted.

But if you are here, you value some component of what BBM offers. It could be a handful of things, but it is likely the PKB. Of course you are free to purchase one of the multitude of other PKB devices. Oh wait, their aren't any. So do you want or need a PKB? Is it worth double the price of a midrange dinner out? Get an LE. Is worth more get a K2. If you really want RED... you get the point.

And if the price new is too much, look at the resale market.

Bottom line folks, get what you want. It is a free country. Complain if you want. It is a free country (at least most places). But at least know what you are doing. I bought a K2. I believed then, and now, that it was too highly priced to attract new adopters. I felt, then, and now, that the LE price point made sense. I might be correct or not.
    The proof will be in the sales.
    Sales says you're not.
    02-26-19 07:24 AM
    Sales says you're not.
    What metrics do you have regarding sales?

This is the ONLY official statement ever released (Jan 2019):

“We connected more customers to BlackBerry globally and in Canada than the year before,” said Mahieu in an interview with MobileSyrup. “We’re seeing double-digit growth, but it’s a slow growth."
    02-26-19 07:43 AM
    For me I just hope there those still out there that enjoy buying phones. I'm over it and just hope the one I do buy lasts a long time. In reality I could easily be still using my classic. Still works fine and for my actual needs is a better tool than this. For my wants not so much. For my job they send my work load with email so really any phone does that. Classic does it really well. I use a few spreadsheets this does it somewhat better. Both not so good.
    I wanted to move into the crowd that had apps and finally justified it and spent the money. Even iPhone no longer has people camping on the street to buy latest upgrade that was not really an upgrade.
    So long live Blackberry KEY phones and hopefully enough profits to keep a supply coming. Maybe I'm pessimistic but looking at younger people I don't see a great future for keyboards. I doubt they will bother to make one just for me.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    anon(10387168), rarsen and ck2nb like this.
    02-26-19 08:37 AM
    Sales says you're not.
    If you're talking about BB10 device sales, then yep, spot on. 😎
    02-26-19 08:46 AM
    Maybe I'm pessimistic but looking at younger people I don't see a great future for keyboards.
    The advantages of a physical keyboard also apply to younger people lol
    02-26-19 12:31 PM
    I absolutely agree. But if they can't get one in there hands to try or find out its worth. Many people under 30 never used a pkb before. Started with android or iPhone and that is all they know.

Makes one wonder if Blackberry didn't take that keyboard for iPhone to court to make them stop making it if it would have actually helped their cause in the long run. Just a thought.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    BrettB4 likes this.
    02-26-19 01:03 PM
    The new Atomic Red KEY2 Is the ONLY phone costing more than $400 that I would consider buying. It's like an Alfa Romeo car. You don't buy it because it's a great value in any terms other than childish pleasure. It's not a pragmatic purchase; it's a passionate one.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    rarsen, elfabio80, Sigewif and 1 others like this.
    02-26-19 01:16 PM
    They do! I'm 27 years old and I don't want no phone anymore without a PKB. My first one was the HP Pre 3, which I bought on the first day of the now-famous firesale, so I was quite young when I started my PKB experience (although I could've been younger as I was eyeing the Motorola Milestone aka Droid some years earlier, but I did not go for it). Been using PKB's ever since and don't want anything else anymore.
    02-26-19 02:59 PM
    Makes one wonder if Blackberry didn't take that keyboard for iPhone to court to make them stop making it if it would have actually helped their cause in the long run. Just a thought.
    They should have forced a licensing agreement out of them and made a few bucks for their troubles. Now they are licensing the whole package to TCL ...
    02-26-19 06:40 PM
    The new Atomic Red KEY2 Is the ONLY phone costing more than $400 that I would consider buying. It's like an Alfa Romeo car. You don't buy it because it's a great value in any terms other than childish pleasure. It's not a pragmatic purchase; it's a passionate one.

I am glad Alfa Romeo is back in the United States.
    Vistaus and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    02-26-19 10:27 PM
    You know... I'm curious if the younger generation (those who make trends happen) realize that with physical buttons you get to the point you don't even have to look to compose because you can actually feel your buttons. There was a time we would fake listening while letting a message fly under the table. there's no better way to text. And the security. blackberry locker can avoid hovering or intrusive snoopers. either way... they can have my money. tired of the all glass candybar
    Vistaus and Sigewif like this.
    02-26-19 10:46 PM
    I am glad Alfa Romeo is back in the United States.
    Right???!!! It was my first car, love at first sight.

I was soooo close to getting a Giulia QV - price and some quality issues deterred me from doing so but it was close let me tell you.

There is not a single time one goes by that I don't get my head uncontrollably turned...
    02-26-19 10:57 PM
    It's like an Alfa Romeo car. You don't buy it because it's a great value in any terms other than childish pleasure. It's not a pragmatic purchase; it's a passionate one.

Tell that to @Crusader03
    02-26-19 10:58 PM
    They should have forced a licensing agreement out of them and made a few bucks for their troubles. Now they are licensing the whole package to TCL ...
    At that point TYPO was already seeing sales drying up, and that was before the move that Apple made to larger screens. Doubt there was any room for a BlackBerry licensing tax....

BlackBerry doesn't own the keyboard design.... lots and lots of companies once made a keyboard phone or PDA. If there were a market for something like TYPO (without BlackBerry infringements), there would be someone making them. Simple reality is the few folks that want a PKB... will buy a BlackBerry. There isn't a market for poor functioning clip on keyboards - which is why even Samsung has given up on them.
    02-27-19 07:13 AM
    At that point TYPO was already seeing sales drying up, and that was before the move that Apple made to larger screens. Doubt there was any room for a BlackBerry licensing tax....

BlackBerry doesn't own the keyboard design.... lots and lots of companies once made a keyboard phone or PDA. If there were a market for something like TYPO (without BlackBerry infringements), there would be someone making them. Simple reality is the few folks that want a PKB... will buy a BlackBerry. There isn't a market for poor functioning clip on keyboards - which is why even Samsung has given up on them.
    People who want a PKB have more options now though. Planet Computing, F(x)tec, Livermorium... just to name a few companies. Sure, BlackBerry sells the most with Planet coming in second, but they all sell (well, except for F(x)tec as they have yet to start selling their slider) at least a couple hundred units, so people who want a PKB do buy other brands as well, even if they remain more minor than BlackBerry in the end.
    02-27-19 12:16 PM
    People who want a PKB have more options now though. Planet Computing, F(x)tec, Livermorium... just to name a few companies. Sure, BlackBerry sells the most with Planet coming in second, but they all sell (well, except for F(x)tec as they have yet to start selling their slider) at least a couple hundred units, so people who want a PKB do buy other brands as well, even if they remain more minor than BlackBerry in the end.
    Right, but btw that Livermorium PKB mod for the Moto Z got officially scrapped, so that leaves us with:

BBMo's KEY line
    Priv (ughhh)
    Planet Cosmo communicator
    PKB case for S7/S8/N8
    PKB Typo case for iPhone SE/6S/7/8
    F(x)tec landscape slider (woooo)
    02-27-19 02:09 PM
    Right???!!! It was my first car, love at first sight.

I was soooo close to getting a Giulia QV - price and some quality issues deterred me from doing so but it was close let me tell you.

There is not a single time one goes by that I don't get my head uncontrollably turned...
    Alfa 's are very good looking cars with idiosyncrasies and quirks.... just like my BlackBerry PRIV.
    02-27-19 02:19 PM
    Alfa 's are very good looking cars with idiosyncrasies and quirks....just like my BlackBerry PRIV.
    YUP!
    02-27-19 02:20 PM
    Right, but btw that Livermorium PKB mod for the Moto Z got officially scrapped, so that leaves us with:
    Right, but the Livermorium smartphone isn't scrapped: https://www.xda-developers.com/liver...rd-smartphone/

Btw, if we're gonna add type cases to the mix, then you might as well add the Pixel 3 type case ;-)
    02-27-19 02:22 PM
    Alfa 's are very good looking cars with idiosyncrasies and quirks.... just like my BlackBerry PRIV.
    Depends on which Alfa model. A teacher in high school drove an Alfa 147 for years and she never experienced any quirks. And my uncle had two Alfas for quite some years, one classic model and one modern one (156, IIRC, but at least a similar one to the 156) and he never experienced any quirks with his more modern Alfa and only minor quirks with his classic Alfa (that is, until it completely broke down one day, which is one of the reasons he eventually sold it).

But yeah, I do know stories from other people who did experience many quirks, so you're not wrong. Lancia is in the same boat btw: beautiful cars, but usually a lot of quirks (except for the Ypsilon, which is so basic that it's actually very reliable).
    02-27-19 02:25 PM
    Depends on which Alfa model. A teacher in high school drove an Alfa 147 for years and she never experienced any quirks. And my uncle had two Alfas for quite some years, one classic model and one modern one (156, IIRC, but at least a similar one to the 156) and he never experienced any quirks with his more modern Alfa and only minor quirks with his classic Alfa (that is, until it completely broke down one day, which is one of the reasons he eventually sold it).

But yeah, I do know stories from other people who did experience many quirks, so you're not wrong. Lancia is in the same boat btw: beautiful cars, but usually a lot of quirks (except for the Ypsilon, which is so basic that it's actually very reliable).
    Almost bought a 1986 GTV6...the sale rep kept trying to push me into a 164 sedan. He said the GTV6 had electric gremlins.
    02-27-19 02:45 PM
    In reference to the physical keyboard...it's more accurate than a virtual...no need to convince me there, but...I'm not a fan of its susceptibility to failure.

With every BlackBerry physical keyboard phone I've had, after eight months to a year, I find certain keys start double typing or else they require a harder press to register. And having to choose between slightly less accurate typing and failure, I'll choose the virtual keyboard device.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-27-19 03:46 PM
    In reference to the physical keyboard...it's more accurate than a virtual...no need to convince me there, but...I'm not a fan of its susceptibility to failure.

With every BlackBerry physical keyboard phone I've had, after eight months to a year, I find certain keys start double typing or else they require a harder press to register. And having to choose between slightly less accurate typing and failure, I'll choose the virtual keyboard device.
    I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of KEY owners still have a 100% functioning keyboard.

If you take a look at the KEYone forums, which probably has the oldest of KEY devices, there are almost no threads about "my [insert letter] key has stopped working!"
    02-27-19 04:05 PM
    I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of KEY owners still have a 100% functioning keyboard.
    Ahm Ahm (the sound of a severe cough)
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-27-19 05:12 PM
53 123