No doubt. And it will become even smaller, or non-existent, if it isn't supported by BlackBerry leadership.
    Where would you direct your limited resources? To projects that return 50% margins, or to projects that return 10% margins? I'm sure BlackBerry knows where its best ROI is located.
    02-10-19 10:59 AM
    Where would you direct your limited resources? To projects that return 50% margins, or to projects that return 10% margins? I'm sure BlackBerry knows where its best ROI is located.
    The PR value of actually using a BlackBerry Mobile device, when you work for BlackBerry, is close to priceless. Not using one is incredibly damaging. They don't seem to get it or care. Has nothing to do with resources. It's just bad leadership.
    elfabio80, Jake2826 and custerluca like this.
    02-10-19 11:55 AM
    The PR value of actually using a BlackBerry Mobile device, when you work for BlackBerry, is close to priceless. Not using one is incredibly damaging. They don't seem to get it or care. Has nothing to do with resources. It's just bad leadership.
    But BlackBerry licences and sells software for ALL platforms.

Besides, Google CEO Eric Schmidt carried a BlackBerry well into 2015.
    02-10-19 12:05 PM
    But BlackBerry licences and sells software for ALL platforms.

Besides, Google CEO Eric Schmidt used a BlackBerry well into 2014.
    Indeed, it does sell software for all platforms. And if BlackBerry executives don't support BlackBerry Mobile, and they are content using BlackBerry software on other devices, then it is hard to convince consumers to care about BlackBerry Mobile's own devices. Yes, Eric Schmidt did use a BlackBerry for many years, which was a helpful tool in convincing my team to stick with the devices rather than switching to devices made by Samsung or Apple.
    02-10-19 12:11 PM
    Indeed, it does sell software for all platforms. And if BlackBerry executives don't support BlackBerry Mobile, and they are content using BlackBerry software on other devices, then it is hard to convince consumers to care about BlackBerry Mobile's own devices. Yes, Eric Schmidt did use a BlackBerry for many years, which was a helpful tool in convincing my team to stick with the devices rather than switching to devices made by Samsung or Apple.
    Why is it hard to convince others? It goes more to the point that everyone has different wants and needs - there is no one device to rule them all.

BlackBerry Mobile serves the physical keyboard niche. If that's not your bag, but you still like Android, then BlackBerry has the suite available. If you simply prefer iOS, then you can lock it down with BlackBerry UEM.

I just don't see the distinction, or the controversy. If anything, BlackBerry wants to promote the ubiquitous nature of its business.
    02-10-19 12:16 PM
    Agreed. And that seems to work for him, which leaves little reason to support BlackBerry Mobile. Realize he's a new employee and never had a passion for BlackBerry devices, but he needs to lead and support his licensees.
    (1) he uses iphone - possibly 30-50% of his customer used platform for BB software, that does not translated that he showed "little reason to support BBMo". (2) "he's a new employee and never had a passion for BB device" - far fatched statement. if he does not believe BB, he should not join the company (at any salary benefit - any professional I know would agree with me... Not sure the other side of globe things might be different in your neck of the woods). (3) agree with your 3rd statement, but one photo to cast him as not support his licensees (there are three all together) is far fatched. his future action may be more under the microscope of yours. (4) BB security crop software supports both iOS and droid (30 and 70% split possibly, in US, more like 50 and 50% split), BBMo is fraction of the customers he supports (let's say 20 - 25% as upper estimate - that means 50% of his droid customer uses BBMo, best rosy picture event, that still left him a good reason to use iphone occationally).
    BB used to be the end to end support for corp network, too bad they sold their soul and have to earn their living cross others platform. I wouldn't be suprise if he start to wave a 5G droid if BBMo have nothing come out soon. Keep your eyes open at MWC? IMHO.
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    02-10-19 12:32 PM
    Why is it hard to convince others? It goes more to the point that everyone has different wants and needs - there is no one device to rule them all.

BlackBerry Mobile serves the physical keyboard niche. If that's not your bag, but you still like Android, then BlackBerry has the suite available. If you simply prefer iOS, then you can lock it down with BlackBerry UEM.

I just don't see the distinction, or the controversy. If anything, BlackBerry wants to promote the ubiquitous nature of its business.

When you buy devices for your team, you aren't going to buy a mix of different manufacturers. You want everyone on the same system. Law firms with 3,000+ BlackBerry devices, which used them from 1999 until late 2016, finally gave in and switched to iPhones. Same for many large scale live event productions. Recent news events have led some, in both groups, to doubt the decision to move to iOS and consider a return to "BlackBerry" branded devices by BlackBerry Mobile. Seeing the leadership at BlackBerry use iPhones leads them to believe that BlackBerry Mobile devices must not be quite there yet, just as they felt that Android devices were similarly not-ready-for-prime-time when Eric Schmidt continued to use a BlackBerry . . . .
    02-10-19 12:37 PM
    When you buy devices for your team, you aren't going to buy a mix of different manufacturers. You want everyone on the same system. Law firms with 3,000+ BlackBerry devices, which used them from 1999 until late 2016, finally gave in and switched to iPhones. Same for many large scale live event productions. Recent news events have led some, in both groups, to doubt the decision to move to iOS and consider a return to "BlackBerry" branded devices by BlackBerry Mobile. Seeing the leadership at BlackBerry use iPhones leads them to believe that BlackBerry Mobile devices must not be quite there yet, just as they felt that Android devices were similarly not-ready-for-prime-time when Eric Schmidt continued to use a BlackBerry . . . .
    Then they wouldn't be very smart to base opinions on what a recently-aquired BlackBerry exec uses as a dual-carry device.

Android sold almost a billion devices the year Schmidt dual-carried.
    Last edited by conite; 02-10-19 at 12:58 PM.
    02-10-19 12:39 PM
    I hope he doesn't drive a car that doesn't have BlackBerry software--for shame!
    02-10-19 01:27 PM
    One always needs to care about supporting one's licensees. There is absolutely no way that BlackBerry Mobile can survive without support from BlackBerry. Passion drives success.
    BlackBerry makes more money from Apple users on its enterprise platforms than it does from BlackBerry Mobile users. Just because they licensed the BlackBerry brand to a partner doesn't mean that partner is more important to them than Apple or Samsung, who together make up the majority of their enterprise base.

If anything, making the point that Apple, Samsung, etc. play well with BlackBerry solutions has a lot more value than the niche PKB crowd.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-10-19 02:16 PM
    BlackBerry makes more money from Apple users on its enterprise platforms than it does from BlackBerry Mobile users. Just because they licensed the BlackBerry brand to a partner doesn't mean that partner is more important to them than Apple or Samsung, who together make up the majority of their enterprise base.

If anything, making the point that Apple, Samsung, etc. play well with BlackBerry solutions has a lot more value than the niche PKB crowd.

Again, conveying my diluted message, with intended conciseness.
    02-10-19 02:18 PM
    BB used to be the end to end support for corp network, too bad they sold their soul and have to earn their living cross others platform. I wouldn't be suprise if he start to wave a 5G droid if BBMo have nothing come out soon. Keep your eyes open at MWC? IMHO.
    A little perspective: BlackBerry didn't quit hardware until years after hardware buyers, including enterprise buyers, quit BlackBerry. If they had wanted to continue focusing on hardware, they wouldn't have licensed it. BlackBerry Mobile has to stand or fall.on it's own merits. BlackBerry is just a supplier at this point.

Vistaus likes this.
    02-10-19 02:25 PM
    Perspective understood. As well as many of the points made in this forum. But I get what Joshua is stating. Although both companies may now be two separate entities with different objectives, they are still related and represent one another in some fashion and that one thing they have in common is the brand name.

Hardware may be a tiny fraction of their revenue indeed but they licensed it for a reason and that reason is not us BlackBerry loyalists we can't be that important to their strategy based on some opinions that I've read here. But in my opinion is because the hardware still represents the best solution for end to end point management and the most secure option to use in addition to it being a communication tool tailored for the business person and enterprise market.

Should Bryan Palma be able to use an iPhone or non branded BlackBerry Android device for his business and personal use without fearing media backlash? Absolutely because if questioned, he should be able to comfortably explain that the business he represents secures all platforms for devices management therefore the choice of device use shouldn't really matter as long as it is secured by BlackBerry and familiarity with other platforms are encouraged for research purposes.

But should he also use a BlackBerry Android device from time to time? Absolutely! and the main reason for that is the business he represents although no longer directly responsible for hardware, has been entrusted to a partner who's main focus is to built the most secure hardware possible backed by their leading cutting edge secure software solutions making it the most secure Android device available. And to remind the enterprise sector that their hardware is available for their fleet if needed and would be the best option for their business.

Believe me, John Chen may have made BlackBerry Ltd's focus to be what they are best at doing which is software security, but he also knows what made consumers and enterprise know who they were and that was the hardware. He knows because he too at one point wore the consumer shoes and talked about how important it was for him to have a BlackBerry on his hip while in college and the in the beginning of his career. And BlackBerry Mobile has made great strides into revealing that the hardware has been modernized and set up for todays security standard needs. Not to mention that although seen as a niche device, that a physical keyboard still has it's use and advantages over a vkb. And just another option available to people.

And also a reminder to those businesses that quit them due to their lack of innovation due to app availability, or whatever other reason, that they have the option to come back.
    02-11-19 03:45 AM
    Perspective understood. As well as many of the points made in this forum. But I get what Joshua is stating. Although both companies may now be two separate entities with different objectives, they are still related and represent one another in some fashion and that one thing they have in common is the brand name.

Hardware may be a tiny fraction of their revenue indeed but they licensed it for a reason and that reason is not us BlackBerry loyalists we can't be that important to their strategy based on some opinions that I've read here. But in my opinion is because the hardware still represents the best solution for end to end point management and the most secure option to use in addition to it being a communication tool tailored for the business person and enterprise market.

Should Bryan Palma be able to use an iPhone or non branded BlackBerry Android device for his business and personal use without fearing media backlash? Absolutely because if questioned, he should be able to comfortably explain that the business he represents secures all platforms for devices management therefore the choice of device use shouldn't really matter as long as it is secured by BlackBerry and familiarity with other platforms are encouraged for research purposes.

But should he also use a BlackBerry Android device from time to time? Absolutely! and the main reason for that is the business he represents although no longer directly responsible for hardware, has been entrusted to a partner who's main focus is to built the most secure hardware possible backed by their leading cutting edge secure software solutions making it the most secure Android device available. And to remind the enterprise sector that their hardware is available for their fleet if needed and would be the best option for their business.

Believe me, John Chen may have made BlackBerry Ltd's focus to be what they are best at doing which is software security, but he also knows what made consumers and enterprise know who they were and that was the hardware. He knows because he too at one point wore the consumer shoes and talked about how important it was for him to have a BlackBerry on his hip while in college and the in the beginning of his career. And BlackBerry Mobile has made great strides into revealing that the hardware has been modernized and set up for todays security standard needs. Not to mention that although seen as a niche device, that a physical keyboard still has it's use and advantages over a vkb. And just another option available to people.

And also a reminder to those businesses that quit them due to their lack of innovation due to app availability, or whatever other reason, that they have the option to come back.
    But he DOES use his KEY² as primary device.
    02-11-19 05:29 AM
    But he DOES use his KEY² as primary device.
    Yes, I did notice his tweet answering Joshua. I was just co- signing as to why he should carry one to members who don't think that it matters.
    02-11-19 06:47 AM
    Yes, I did notice his tweet answering Joshua. I was just co- signing as to why he should carry one to members who don't think that it matters.
    It still doesn’t matter because it’s more important and profitable to BB Limited to sell the understanding that BB can secure Android/IOS devices from the main OEMs and not get the message lost in a business that is a on the way to becoming a rounding error. If BBMo folded tomorrow, would anyone not here on CrackBerry notice? Seriously, no....

Expect BBMo executives to carry BB hardware and question everything about phones to BBMo for their answers. Learn to accept BB just doing their part for shareholders to license BBAndroid for now. Pushing the old BB to acknowledge hardware still is to acknowledge certain level of failure. Let it go. Perhaps BBMo succeeds with the brand even more, it’s nothing of BB efforts. The accolades deserve to go to new BBMo since it's business model has been significantly different than what BB followed.
    02-11-19 08:24 AM
    It still doesn’t matter because it’s more important and profitable to BB Limited to sell the understanding that BB can secure Android/IOS devices from the main OEMs and not get the message lost in a business that is a on the way to becoming a rounding error. If BBMo folded tomorrow, would anyone not here on CrackBerry notice? Seriously, no....

Expect BBMo executives to carry BB hardware and question everything about phones to BBMo for their answers. Learn to accept BB just doing their part for shareholders to license BBAndroid for now. Pushing the old BB to acknowledge hardware still is to acknowledge certain level of failure. Let it go. Perhaps BBMo succeeds with the brand even more, it’s nothing of BB efforts. The accolades deserve to go to new BBMo since it's business model has been significantly different than what BB followed.
    Absolutely, not holding on to anything. I do agree that the majority of the responsibility and any credit is to BlackBerry Mobile and for sure that those exects should definitely carry BlackBerry Devices without a doubt. However, we can't deny that BlackBerry Ltd still does contribute to their cause hence the software and still had input in design as well if I'm not mistaken. But even with the logic that you have made...you have to acknowledge that they are still related and have to co-exist together to some degree.
    02-11-19 08:55 AM
    This is all about branding. There is only one phone that carries the BB brand and their execs absolutely should (and do) use them. The other business lines are all B-to-B and the sales process directly (eg to Apple) is more important.

No doubt the IPhone was a carry over from his previous work, and he is regretting not taking the extra time for his Key2 to show up.
    joshualebowitz and drobbie like this.
    02-11-19 09:22 AM
    BBMo may be should showcase some high flyers with K1, K2? So far, just look like complain from that neck of the woods about volume and blame BB instead. I still bitter about Ms. A. Keys waving iphone while collect BB salary. Mrs Obama's mention her as "most generous people" she know - boy or boy, I guess she either get fooled or her definition of generous are different from mine (don't tell me she is Robin to rob the rich and feed the poor... at least not in that fitness club - how much it cost = BB salary).
    02-11-19 09:23 AM
    This is all about branding. There is only one phone that carries the BB brand and their execs absolutely should (and do) use them. The other business lines are all B-to-B and the sales process directly (eg to Apple) is more important.

No doubt the IPhone was a carry over from his previous work, and he is regretting not taking the extra time for his Key2 to show up.
    I don't think he's regretting anything.

This is only "news" on this forum, in this one thread.
    02-11-19 09:31 AM
    I don't think he's regretting anything.

This is only "news" on this forum, in this one thread.
    Fair enough! I was putting myself in his shoes, and I would have wished I waited in hindsight.
    02-11-19 09:33 AM
    Fair enough! I was putting myself in his shoes, and I would have wished I waited in hindsight.
    I'm not oblivious to the points you and others are making here, but honestly, I make my own device decisions based on my own needs and preferences - not anyone else's. I get it that not everyone wants a physical keyboard, and I don't expect that they would - whether they work for a supplier to BlackBerry Mobile or not.
    02-11-19 09:35 AM
    I'm not oblivious to the points you and others are making here, but honestly, I make my own device decisions based on my own needs and preferences - not anyone else's. I get it that not everyone wants a physical keyboard, and I don't expect that they would - whether they work for a supplier to BlackBerry Mobile or not.
    I would hope and assume that everyone makes their decisions in the same way. However in this case I do believe that one important need, in a brand-sensitive world, is to promote the brand you work for. Supplier-only or otherwise, the company is still Blackberry and they (imo) should promote the brand any way they can.

"I used to love my BlackBerry......I still do."
    02-11-19 09:43 AM
    I would hope and assume that everyone makes their decisions in the same way. However in this case I do believe that one important need, in a brand-sensitive world, is to promote the brand you work for. Supplier-only or otherwise, the company is still Blackberry and they (imo) should promote the brand any way they can.

"I used to love my BlackBerry......I still do."
    I am hearing you.

But from a business standpoint, would BlackBerry make MORE money if IT people saw a BlackBerry executive using a BlackBerry-secured iPhone, or a BlackBerry executive using a BlackBerry Mobile phone?

A topic for another discussion perhaps.
    02-11-19 10:03 AM
    I am hearing you.

But from a business standpoint, would BlackBerry make MORE money if IT people saw a BlackBerry executive using a BlackBerry-secured iPhone, or a BlackBerry executive using a BlackBerry Mobile phone?

A topic for another discussion perhaps.
    No proof that it would or doubt it...but it would raise awareness.
    02-11-19 06:17 PM
164 ... 34567