This is a huge drawback for this phone since att won't give the phone enhanced features. Is there any work around?
    03-11-19 07:04 PM
    This is a huge drawback for this phone since att won't give the phone enhanced features. Is there any work around?
    Not that I'm aware off... AT&T are being total dicks not allowing Enhanced Calling Features on the KEY2. I have had a couple of conversations with their upper tier tech department regarding this and it isn't going to happen unfortunately.

Bob
    03-11-19 07:24 PM
    Only AT&T can give you AT&T features on their network.
    03-11-19 07:25 PM
    It's horrible TO have 4g calling and no wifi calling.
    03-11-19 07:26 PM
    Only AT&T can give you AT&T features on their network.
    True... they enabled VoLTE on the AT&T branded PRIV and I understand it was enabled on the AT&T branded KEYone, but I believe I read a post by a AT&T branded KEYone user they disabled it at some point.

Bob
    03-11-19 07:30 PM
    As far as I understand (as I have a NA SE), no non carrier phones are enabled for VoLTE and WiFi calling. And for a further rub, not all carrier phones have enhanced features either. It's a mess really!
    03-11-19 07:42 PM
    Even Verizon doesn't keep non carrier devices from using VoLTE. I switched to them for this reason among others and I hope AT&T loses business because of it.
    03-11-19 07:53 PM
    I would say having a key2 on ATT is basically and bad decision. I love the phone but not having enhanced features is making me drop calls, have bad call quality, and more.
    03-11-19 07:54 PM
    I just returned from Florida and most of eastern USA since I drove down and back. my Rogers Key2 roamed on ATT the whole time and wifi calling worked. The voice over LTE though did not work (not accessible/visible option in Network Settings).
    03-12-19 03:05 PM
    True... they enabled VoLTE on the AT&T branded PRIV and I understand it was enabled on the AT&T branded KEYone, but I believe I read a post by a AT&T branded KEYone user they disabled it at some point.

Bob
    That was bad information on my part. My AT&T KEYone still has VoLTE but it’s toggle switch is hidden after the Oreo update. Never had WFC and never will per AT&T which doesn’t say much for a carrier sold and locked phone.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    03-12-19 04:43 PM
    This will eventually be solved when AT&T gets rid of its faux 4g non LTE (hspa)
    03-15-19 07:21 PM
    This will eventually be solved when AT&T gets rid of its faux 4g non LTE (hspa)
    Only by eliminating 3G which isn’t scheduled for elimination?
    03-15-19 07:58 PM
    There are some random articles that conclude AT&T will stop enabling 3G only phones sometime this year, and then they will have to do what Verizon did, enable VoLTE on BYOD devices.
    03-16-19 06:46 PM
    That's interesting. Do you have a link?
    03-16-19 07:16 PM
    AT&T has already stopped activating 3G-only devices (as of the end of 2018) and 3G will be shut down in Dec of 2021, though all new or refurbed cell sites are LTE only as of Jan of this year, so 3G devices will gradually start losing coverage over the next 3 years.
    03-17-19 02:13 PM
    AT&T has already stopped activating 3G-only devices (as of the end of 2018) and 3G will be shut down in Dec of 2021, though all new or refurbed cell sites are LTE only as of Jan of this year, so 3G devices will gradually start losing coverage over the next 3 years.
    So what would that mean to those who are on AT&T, but VoLTE is not enabled?

If they are in the coverage area of such LTE-only tower, would they have coverage (by AT&T making an exception) or would they simply loose coverage?
    03-17-19 05:14 PM
    They would lose reception, and AT&T would encourage them (often with a deal) to upgrade to a supported device.
    03-17-19 08:19 PM
    Not that I'm aware off... AT&T are being total dicks not allowing Enhanced Calling Features on the KEY2. I have had a couple of conversations with their upper tier tech department regarding this and it isn't going to happen unfortunately.

Bob
    Pardon me for being technologically handicapped, LOL, but what Enhanced Calling Features are they not allowing? Aside from this -- being that the phone goes onto 4G, and has no wifi calling -- how is the reception? Call quality? Is it the 4G that can cause problems, dropped calls, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
    03-18-19 11:38 AM
    I would say having a key2 on ATT is basically and bad decision. I love the phone but not having enhanced features is making me drop calls, have bad call quality, and more.
    Really?!?!?! This is where I was about to go...Key2, BYOD and ATT...Uggh!

So whatever enhanced calling features you are not getting, this is what is causing call problems -- dropped calls, bad call quality, etc.? Thanks.
    03-18-19 11:40 AM
    Pardon me for being technologically handicapped, LOL, but what Enhanced Calling Features are they not allowing? Aside from this -- being that the phone goes onto 4G, and has no wifi calling -- how is the reception? Call quality? Is it the 4G that can cause problems, dropped calls, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
    AT&T does not allow VoLTE or WiFi Calling on their network with the KEY2... I have not had any issues with dropped calls and the only issue I am currently having with call quality is when I am talking with my children on their iPhones. I have acceptable call quality with everyone else on their cell phones or landlines. Why the call quality with my children's iPhones is not very clear something I can't figure out.

Other than that, the KEY2 performs well in all other areas just fine on AT&T.

Bob
    03-18-19 11:57 AM
    They would lose reception, and AT&T would encourage them (often with a deal) to upgrade to a supported device.
    I don't understand. To the average user this would translate to an unreliable network. The average user would not be able to connect the dots and think that AT&T network would be unreliable and full of holes. So the whole thing might go against AT&T. I may be wrong, but I also had the understanding that allowing LTE use would use less resources and benefit AT&T that way as well. If all of the above is true, that would be a losing situation to AT&T.
    03-18-19 11:58 AM
    By the way WiFi calling on my AT&T branded Q20 Classic appears to work. WiFi symbol during calls show, while when I turn off router during that same call, then the same WiFi symbol disappears and 4g appears.

A small LTE symbol on the phone upper right display shows when I'm away from WiFi, but when I'm making a call, then it changes to 4g.

Under Settings the Mobile Network Connections shows AT&T LTE.

Do I have VoLTE ???

Edit: see my following post #26
    Last edited by WES51; 03-19-19 at 01:09 PM.
    03-18-19 12:03 PM
    I don't understand. To the average user this would translate to an unreliable network. The average user would not be able to connect the dots and think that AT&T network would be unreliable and full of holes. So the whole thing might go against AT&T. I may be wrong, but I also had the understanding that allowing LTE use would use less resources and benefit AT&T that way as well. If all of the above is true, that would be a losing situation to AT&T.
    This kind of thing has happened a number of times before as old technologies are replaced with new ones. And this will only affect a small percentage of users - those on very old devices (by cell phone standards - phones more than 4-5 years old). And I think it's safe to say that most who are still using an old device realize that they are using an old device that won't be supported forever, and will probably suspect that might be a factor if they stop getting signal at places that used to work for them.

Anyway, AT&T simply can't worry too much about the few that might leave over it - the focus is on the future rather than the past, and moving forward will ensure that the majority of existing customers stay and that new customers are drawn in.
    03-19-19 02:13 AM
    ...And this will only affect a small percentage of users - those on very old devices...
    I would understand that.

But wasn't it just mentioned a few post back, that the issue would also affect people on BYOD devices?

That is arguably a much larger percentage. In addition the trend that I observe is that many people don't refresh their phones any more with the same fequency as before. They even keep switching carriers with BYOD and don't really consider the technical consequences, instead blaming the carrier.

Either way, thanks for explaining and re-assuring the technical angle of it.
    03-19-19 09:23 AM
    From my experiences using att without the enhanced features is a huge drawback. Not being able to make calls on the LTE network you lose some call quality and your going to drop calls more then normal. Also in area's where your service is not good you can't use WiFi calling. This is a huge drawback depending if where you spend most of your time your are getting low quality cell service. I been using blackberry's for about 20 years now and I may need to switch over to a s10 because of these issues.
    03-19-19 11:05 AM
27 12