I thought about buying it and sending it to Orlando as I will be there for business in May. It converts to 930 CAD which saves me about $200 CAD. Very tempting...
    Send it to me in Tampa and I’ll QC it first then deliver to you in Orlando for acceptance.....

LOL
    Rico4you likes this.
    04-20-19 08:46 AM
    Send it to me in Tampa and I’ll QC it first then deliver to you in Orlando for acceptance.....

LOL
    That's a great idea! In fact, why don't you hold on to it and QC it for me for until the Android Passport comes out!
    04-20-19 08:52 AM
    That's a great idea! In fact, why don't you hold on to it and QC it for me for until the Android Passport comes out!
    You read it here first, confirmed by danfrancisco, Android Passport is on the way........
    04-20-19 11:37 AM
    The USA version is $699 USD available on both Amazon and Best Buy
    If I'm being honest, I agree it's more money than I want to spend on a phone. However, there isn't a single other Android phone I'd consider. I certainly wouldn't spend MORE for any device, and I can't find one I like half as much for less money.

Glad my KEYone is still in great shape. I can't imagine replacing it before Oreo is EOL. It would be a waste of money. I hope BlackBerry Mobile can be successful with an average 4 year device life cycle because that's the ultimate trend, even if we're closer to 3 years now. I'm looking at Q4 of 2020 or Q1 of 2021 for my next phone, which I still hope will be neither Android nor iOS.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-20-19 12:53 PM
    If I'm being honest, I agree it's more money than I want to spend on a phone. However, there isn't a single other Android phone I'd consider. I certainly wouldn't spend MORE for any device, and I can't find one I like half as much for less money.

Glad my KEYone is still in great shape. I can't imagine replacing it before Oreo is EOL. It would be a waste of money. I hope BlackBerry Mobile can be successful with an average 4 year device life cycle because that's the ultimate trend, even if we're closer to 3 years now. I'm looking at Q4 of 2020 or Q1 of 2021 for my next phone, which I still hope will be neither Android nor iOS.

I have a Nokia 7.1 which is half the price and has Android One. Extremely good device though, of course, is doesn’t have a PKB. While we here are certainly different, most of the world has better choices for less money.
    04-20-19 01:30 PM
    I have a Nokia 7.1 which is half the price and has Android One. Extremely good device though, of course, is doesn’t have a PKB. While we here are certainly different, most of the world has better choices for less money.
    I actually don't care one way or another about the PKB for text entry. I even use the VKB on my KEYone more than half the time when I type!

But I don't want to use Android without the keyboard shortcuts. I'm also really happy with the DTEK software for device monitoring.

04-20-19 01:42 PM
    I should have added that the Nokia 7.1 has great features for the price. It looks like a good value and I can see why someone would compare it to the KEY2, from a hardware specs perspective.

I don't know about its implementation of the Android security model, but if that's solid, it would be a contender if I needed a business class slab.

04-20-19 01:49 PM
    I actually don't care one way or another about the PKB for text entry. I even use the VKB on my KEYone more than half the time when I type!

But I don't want to use Android without the keyboard shortcuts. I'm also really happy with the DTEK software for device monitoring.

I have to admit, I don’t use the shortcuts as much as I could.
    I need to consciously try harder.
    04-20-19 01:55 PM
    While we here are certainly different, most of the world has better choices for less money.
    Do they really have much "choice" when everything is the same looking glass on glass slabs?

Not in my book.
    04-21-19 11:37 PM
    Got the Red version yesterday, Coming from the silver Key2 I can say that the keys feel "tighter"
    04-22-19 11:41 AM
    Got the Red version yesterday, Coming from the silver Key2 I can say that the keys feel "tighter"
    Congrats!
    04-22-19 11:53 AM
    Congrats!
    Thanks
    Rico4you likes this.
    04-22-19 01:27 PM
    Can you elaborate on that?
    04-22-19 02:27 PM
    Do they really have much "choice" when everything is the same looking glass on glass slabs?

Not in my book.
    Sure they do.

Different sizes. Different cameras. S-pen. Different storage. VR. Water resistance. Different screens. Different UI’s. Wireless charging. Colors. Even price range.

The choices are endless depending on what you want.
    04-22-19 03:57 PM
    Sure they do.

Different sizes. Different cameras. S-pen. Different storage. VR. Water resistance. Different screens. Different UI’s. Wireless charging. Colors. Even price range.

The choices are endless depending on what you want.
    That's not what I call choices.

Different sizes? Barely, only the non-XL Pixel is easily manageable in one hand, and maybe one of those compact Sonys

Different cameras? They're all really good, almost all offer some kind of portrait mode, HD/4K video etc etc

Different storage? No one needs the insane 512GB, most have 64/128 setups now which should work for just about everyone since we have WhatsApp backup and Google Photos backup taking care of most media saving needs

Water resistance yes that's a huge plus of owning a slab, although if a KEY3 offers that then it would negate this advantage that slabs currently have

Different screens? Aside from choosing between LCD and OLED (most want OLED), all current devices have big screen to body ratio and notches/hole punches. Not much choice there, and it all feels nearly the same anyway

Different UI's? Sure, each OEM may have his flavor of Android, but does it really make that big of a different in use to the average user?

Colors? Lol oh please, it's plain dumb to not slap on a case on these glass on glass sandwiches, hiding basically all of the color.
    And transparent cases will tarnish to a disgusting brownish yellow in a few months.

They all feel basically the same and have the user interact with them the same. And they're all just as inaccurate to type on.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    04-22-19 06:11 PM
    That's not what I call choices.

Different sizes? Barely, only the non-XL Pixel is easily manageable in one hand, and maybe one of those compact Sonys

Different cameras? They're all really good, almost all offer some kind of portrait mode, HD/4K video etc etc

Different storage? No one needs the insane 512GB, most have 64/128 setups now which should work for just about everyone since we have WhatsApp backup and Google Photos backup taking care of most media saving needs

Water resistance yes that's a huge plus of owning a slab, although if a KEY3 offers that then it would negate this advantage that slabs currently have

Different screens? Aside from choosing between LCD and OLED (most want OLED), all current devices have big screen to body ratio and notches/hole punches. Not much choice there, and it all feels nearly the same anyway

Different UI's? Sure, each OEM may have his flavor of Android, but does it really make that big of a different in use to the average user?

Colors? Lol oh please, it's plain dumb to not slap on a case on these glass on glass sandwiches, hiding basically all of the color.
    And transparent cases will tarnish to a disgusting brownish yellow in a few months.

They all feel basically the same and have the user interact with them the same. And they're all just as inaccurate to type on.
    Common, this group would love it if they had this many choices. There's little choice for those who want a PKB. We have to settle when others have a variety to pick from. That's just fact.
    04-22-19 06:37 PM
    Common, this group would love it if they had this many choices. There's little choice for those who want a PKB. We have to settle when others have a variety to pick from. That's just fact.
    What I was trying to say this whole time is that this "variety" isn't that "varied" in the sense that the slabs all look and do things pretty much equally, there is little change in overall experience when using one compared to another.
    On the other hand, having a PKB that inputs text more accurately as well as keyboard shortcuts and keyboard swiping changes the overall experience quite a bit.
    04-22-19 07:45 PM
    What I was trying to say this whole time is that this "variety" isn't that "varied" in the sense that the slabs all look and do things pretty much equally, there is little change in overall experience when using one compared to another.
    On the other hand, having a PKB that inputs text more accurately as well as keyboard shortcuts and keyboard swiping changes the overall experience quite a bit.
    Unfortunately that is one of the few things most people actually don’t want, thus it being a niche market.
    I have to be honest, while I enjoy the PKB on my Key2 LE, I find my Nokia 7.1 just as good and probably a bit better. The keyboard alone isn’t going to keep this thing alive. It may be the last PKB device I own because it may be the last one made.
    Sad but true.
    04-22-19 08:14 PM
    The keys are not as squishy as the key2 silver
    04-22-19 08:16 PM
    because it may be the last one made.
    Sad but true.
    Not true, not yet.

I refuse to be forced to type on a piece of glass.

I don't care if it's a landscape or portrait PKB, if it's matte or glossy, if it's mushy and soft or clicky, but I will NOT settle for less.

Hell no.
    04-22-19 09:28 PM
    Just got mine. build quality between the first batch of silver Key2 (my current device) and this one is night and day.

now if we can just get an update to fix my WiFi problems...
    the_boon likes this.
    04-23-19 03:41 PM
    Not true, not yet.

I refuse to be forced to type on a piece of glass.

I don't care if it's a landscape or portrait PKB, if it's matte or glossy, if it's mushy and soft or clicky, but I will NOT settle for less.

Hell no.
    Well then you had better hope they survive.
    I heard people say a similar thing on here a few years back. “I will never use an Android phone”. 90% of them are now using an Android phone. Somehow they are surviving. But, I like choice, so I am hoping this experiment continues on for quite a while yet.
    the_boon likes this.
    04-23-19 05:14 PM
    Just got mine. build quality between the first batch of silver Key2 (my current device) and this one is night and day.
    Coud you elaborate on how the Red Edition is much better in terms of build quality compared to the Silver ?
    04-23-19 05:51 PM
    Coud you elaborate on how the Red Edition is much better in terms of build quality compared to the Silver ?
    Should've been more clear, it's all in the keyboard -

Keys are more firm
    No light bleed
    Space bar doesn't wobble

Doesn't seem like a whole bunch, but the keyboard is the whole experience for me haha.

Everything else is the same build wise. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it, but the difference in typing experience is enough to make me keep it.
    Rico4you likes this.
    04-23-19 05:57 PM
    Should've been more clear, it's all in the keyboard -

Keys are more firm
    No light bleed
    Space bar doesn't wobble

Doesn't seem like a whole bunch, but the keyboard is the whole experience for me haha.

Everything else is the same build wise. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it, but the difference in typing experience is enough to make me keep it.
    I'm definitely with you on that one man, the keyboard is the most essential part of these devices.

The things is, I prefer the silver color over the red, but if red has better overall build quality, then that would be the one to pull the trigger on

Now if I could justify the $699 to the wife...
    04-23-19 07:21 PM
574 ... 89101112 ...