Finally, after app after app stopped working, and after one website after another stopped working in the browser, i finally had to accept reality, and retire my Blackberry classic.

I will miss most of all the no BS interface, easy custimastion of alerts and message views, and of course, the tool belt.

I mean, don't get me started on the tool belt, if you're manipulating text, having a trackpad and context buttons made is as easy as it gets- a physical keyboard without it is like replacing your PC's mouse with a set of arrow keys. - Imagine having to swipe along your PC keyboard??

Anyway, i am a Key2 owner now. my first impressions are excellent, the first thing i did after unboxing was bring up the hub menu and enable Dark Mode!

then, spent time messing with permissions and organising the home screen.

Since then i'm utterly lost.

I work in IT< i support other peoples android and IOS phones but for some reason i'm really struggling with configuring basic things.

I managed to set the LED colour for email, for example, but cant find the setting again.

My working list of stuff i wnt to set and haven't found yet:

1.) Device name ( cosmetic, mostly so it doesnt show up as ANDROINDXXXXX on a list of wifi clients.

2.) sound profiles - i can't seem to set universal sound settings, i have volumes set to off wherever i can find it, but the device still pings when i get an email

3.) Custom lock screen info - on the Classic, i could set messages, and control what and how much of what alerts i get, on the Key2, it seems to be all or nothing, and no messages.

4.) custom LED colours - like i said, i did this once already, and can't find it again.

5.) Google Assistant - I removed the homescreen widget, and have disabled it for now. but it still nags me to enable it?

6.) is there any reason to use the Outlook app for email? I'm not using O365 or exchange right now, and while it will let me install a widget for it, it doesn't appear to fully integrate in the hub.

7.) sound profiles, on the classic, i could turn the phone to silent, or incoming calls only or custom sounds easy enough, using the do not disturb function doesn't seem to do much, it still pings me

and the list goes on. i'm pretty savvy and support android users regularly, but obviously when it comes to customisation i am lacking some knowledge, whether that's android knowledge, of if blackberry's android is particularly different i don't know.

has someone written any of this up? i'm searching this forum and the internet and finding instructions that point to fields or menu paths that this phone doesn't seem to have

anyway any links, advice, instructions, or even helpful mockery would be appreciated
    06-16-19 11:06 AM

1.) Device name ( cosmetic, mostly so it doesnt show up as ANDROINDXXXXX on a list of wifi clients.
    Setttings > WiFi > WiFi preferences > WiFi direct > rename device.

You can do the same with bluetooth under “device name" under that menu.
    Attached Thumbnails I got a KEY2 and I have no idea what i'm doing-32113.jpg  
    Justaminute likes this.
    06-16-19 11:17 AM
    Led colors are a challenge and you get one chance in the hub to set color for an email account after that you have to delete and setup again. I use an app "light manager" works good but cannot get individual colors for accounts only apps. I use "sound profile" to give me the bb10 experience in sound notifications. It was pretty much find an app to try to mimic what we lost in basic bb10. Of course there are pluses and even though I sometimes say it I am pretty sure I could never go back for long. Hope you enjoy your phone and get it setup how you like it.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg 🇨🇦
    06-16-19 11:30 AM
    @##%# awesome. i missed that piece, thank you. thats 1 annoyance down
    06-16-19 11:32 AM
    Led colors are a challenge and you get one chance in the hub to set color for an email account after that you have to delete and setup again. I use an app "light manager" works good but cannot get individual colors for accounts only apps. I use "sound profile" to give me the bb10 experience in sound notifications. It was pretty much find an app to try to mimic what we lost in basic bb10. Of course there are pluses and even though I sometimes say it I am pretty sure I could never go back for long. Hope you enjoy your phone and get it setup how you like it.

Reg ������������
    thanks for replying. i set a colour for email, and just want to put it back to default, i have to remove one or all accounts to change it? really you can only change once?

on BB120 i used whosit? to set colours for individual contacts, is that the app you use?

sound profile i have sounds turned off everywhere i can find it, i want my phone to be pretty much silent unless the phone rings or i get texts, i haven't found how to do that.

same wiuth setting it so i can toggle between sound/ no sound / calls only

the different sounds, ringtones, pings, alarms is my biggest annoyance with blackberry, theres alram tones i miss from my 9900 even, and even earlier. i never understand why they don't give the option to use the " classic" tones. do you have a link for those sounds?

i know i will adapt, once i figure out how to use it, but damn the setup is rough.
    06-16-19 11:40 AM

Reg 🇨🇦
    thanks for replying. i set a colour for email, and just want to put it back to default, i have to remove one or all accounts to change it? really you can only change once?

on BB120 i used whosit? to set colours for individual contacts, is that the app you use?

sound profile i have sounds turned off everywhere i can find it, i want my phone to be pretty much silent unless the phone rings or i get texts, i haven't found how to do that.

same wiuth setting it so i can toggle between sound/ no sound / calls only

the different sounds, ringtones, pings, alarms is my biggest annoyance with blackberry, theres alram tones i miss from my 9900 even, and even earlier. i never understand why they don't give the option to use the " classic" tones. do you have a link for those sounds?

i know i will adapt, once i figure out how to use it, but damn the setup is rough.
    06-16-19 11:40 AM
    new issue: increase MMS size, its currently 600k
    06-16-19 01:59 PM
    Ugh!
    I'm still on my Passport; but I recognize the march of the demise of apps and smooth'flowing functions.

I maintain 3 email accounts.
    I rely greatly on different sounds for different people -. Emails, texts telCalls, etc.

I work in 3-1/2 different "base" languages which I can maneuver in with 4 different keyboards.

I've added an iPhone X Max in January to access my Banks and other financial accounts. But I don't like the iPhone for email or SMS.

So I will prolly make the shift to the KEY2 imminently.

But the above comments make me wonder whether this will be a prudent move - or an expanding Challenge.

Oh well. Let's pull the trigger.

And did Best Buy stop selling BlackBerry? (as I think I just sw in a recent post in this Forum?)

Golly gee...

Posted via CB10
    06-16-19 02:32 PM
    Download Textra and use that as your default SMS app. You can adjust your mms limit from the textra settings.
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    06-16-19 06:04 PM
    Ugh!
    I'm still on my Passport; but I recognize the march of the demise of apps and smooth'flowing functions.

I maintain 3 email accounts.
    I rely greatly on different sounds for different people -. Emails, texts telCalls, etc.

I work in 3-1/2 different "base" languages which I can maneuver in with 4 different keyboards.

I've added an iPhone X Max in January to access my Banks and other financial accounts. But I don't like the iPhone for email or SMS.

So I will prolly make the shift to the KEY2 imminently.

But the above comments make me wonder whether this will be a prudent move - or an expanding Challenge.

Oh well. Let's pull the trigger.

And did Best Buy stop selling BlackBerry? (as I think I just sw in a recent post in this Forum?)

Golly gee...

Posted via CB10
    I bought amazon.ca. you have to search for it, if you're north american make sureyou get teh 100-2 the cheapest listing are for dual sim 100-6 which won't have as good coverage here. the configuration feels messy to me, i don't have a comparable android running 8 or 8.1 to know if its just android or blackberry.
    I would only hope that the key 3 has the classic's keyboard layout...
    06-17-19 01:16 AM
    Anything that size should be going by email or via messaging systems it should not be going via MMS which is extremely expensive both to the sender and the receiver
    06-18-19 04:48 AM