I just don't understand why other phone companies can make phones that work on any network but BlackBerry can't. Can anyone explain like the G6 on any carrier?
    08-18-18 12:26 PM
    I just don't understand why other phone companies can make phones that work on any network but BlackBerry can't. Can anyone explain like the G6 on any carrier?
    There are plenty of versions of the G6. What do you mean?

H870 (Europe); H871 (AT&T); H872 (T-Mobile); H873 (Canada); H870K (Australia); LS993 (Sprint); US997 (U.S. Cellular); VS988 (Verizon Wireless), etc, etc.
    08-18-18 12:54 PM
    Other phones contain all radios for use almost worldwide. For example some models of the iPhone and Galaxy have GSM and CDMA so they work on all US carriers. For whatever reason TCL is too cheap or inept to do this.
    08-18-18 01:28 PM
    Other phones contain all radios for use almost worldwide. For example some models of the iPhone and Galaxy have GSM and CDMA so they work on all US carriers. For whatever reason TCL is too cheap or inept to do this.
    Apple and Samsung can afford to do this - the both sell huge volumes of their flagship phones and they get the best prices for components.

BBMo sells as many phones in a year as Apple or Samsung sells over a launch weekend, and thus their margins are far smaller and they have to save money every place they can. Even if you would pay an extra $50 for an "all radio" phone, the majority of BBMo buyers would not.
    08-18-18 02:35 PM
    I understand the components might be more expensive but wouldn't you get other savings like in carrying multiple modems/chips for different markets? I don't understand the intricacies of how the LTE bands are configured. I thought Qualcomm Snapdragon has the LTE modem is built in as it is a SoC not just a CPU.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-18-18 02:52 PM
    Apple and Samsung can afford to do this - the both sell huge volumes of their flagship phones and they get the best prices for components.

BBMo sells as many phones in a year as Apple or Samsung sells over a launch weekend, and thus their margins are far smaller and they have to save money every place they can. Even if you would pay an extra $50 for an "all radio" phone, the majority of BBMo buyers would not.
    But doesn't having separate production lines for each model cost more than just manufacturing one model?
    08-18-18 09:25 PM
    TCL is set up for small run production because they have to be - they're making quite small runs when you divide overall sales by all the various SKWs. Obviously the cost of the components, or perhaps their limited availability to companies who aren't at the front of the line (Apple, Samsung), makes it difficult or impossible to do. It may be that they'd have to order huge volumes of components to make it possible (which makes no sense) or that they just can't get them.

Any way you look at it, generally companies with smaller sales volumes don't make "all radio" phones - only the market leaders do, or at least phones that sell in large volumes (I believe the Moto G is an "all radio" phone, but they sell many millions of those per year).

Most manufacturers would prefer fewer SKWs (Apple perfected that with the iPhone), but manufacturing is complicated, and something with hundreds of dependencies (like a smartphone) is extremely complex, and so you can't always do what you'd like to do.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-18-18 10:49 PM
    Thanks for some answers. I had an app that won't work with Marshmallow 6.1. that's the end of both my PRIVs and have no idea what to buy at Verizon. I will miss my BlackBerry but need an OS update. why can't I just update my PRIV like you would Windows? it might run little slower but have later OS. all sux
    08-19-18 10:37 AM
    Thanks for some answers. I had an app that won't work with Marshmallow 6.1. that's the end of both my PRIVs and have no idea what to buy at Verizon. I will miss my BlackBerry but need an OS update. why can't I just update my PRIV like you would Windows? it might run little slower but have later OS. all sux
    Beyond any business realities, many components in the Priv don't even have Nougat or Oreo drivers - and the vendors won't make them.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-19-18 10:55 AM
    Beyond any business realities, many components in the Priv don't even have Nougat or Oreo drivers - and the vendors won't make them.

Beyond any of those business realities you referred to, would it be safe to say that the same issue will occur with the KeyOne components being older and not going to have Android P drivers made for them?
    08-19-18 12:19 PM
    Beyond any of those business realities you referred to, would it be safe to say that the same issue will occur with the KeyOne components being older and not going to have Android P drivers made for them?
    That's the beauty of Treble.

Also, BBMo has already committed to Android P and 3 years of security patches as a minimum.
    08-19-18 12:20 PM
    That's the beauty of Treble.

Also, BBMo has already committed to Android P and 3 years of security patches as a minimum.
    Interesting. I had no idea the KeyOne was treble compliant.
    Specially since the Samsung S8 and S8 Plus aren't treble compliant according to https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https...8225/&hl=en-IN
    08-19-18 12:28 PM
    Interesting. I had no idea the KeyOne was treble compliant.
    Specially since the Samsung S8 and S8 Plus aren't treble compliant according to https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https...8225/&hl=en-IN
    Sorry, I thought you said KEY².

KEYᵒⁿᵉ still has two more years of patches, but has already fulfilled the upgrade commitment.
    08-19-18 12:34 PM
    VZW came out with their branded Priv, and abandoned it fairly quickly. Their tech support wasn't really intimately familiar with it, they were slow to non-existent on updates, and somewhere inside of the second year, they stopped carrying it and then supporting it. IMO, VZW is not the carrier they used to be.
    08-19-18 02:26 PM
    VZW came out with their branded Priv, and abandoned it fairly quickly. Their tech support wasn't really intimately familiar with it, they were slow to non-existent on updates, and somewhere inside of the second year, they stopped carrying it and then supporting it. IMO, VZW is not the carrier they used to be.
    In this example, the problem really wasn't Verizon...

Big US carriers aren't interested in phones that don't move at least 100,000 units for them, and the Priv probably sold much less than half that for Verizon, which means it was a waste of their time, effort, and money as a product (and the same would apply to any brand or model that sold similarly). Verizon has given BB a ton of slack, but BB simply hasn't delivered the sales numbers that makes Verizon want to care about BB - and the relatively high number of returns and support issues only make that worse.

If you owned some kind of store, and you had a smaller brand that failed to sell through (causing YOU to take the loss when you had to discount them to clear them out), had lots of returns, and required lots of support, you wouldn't be in much of a hurry to stock them again, or to promote them to your customers. That's just bad business.
    Laura Knotek and Vistaus like this.
    08-19-18 10:55 PM
    Priv Verizon was an all chip variant which supported GSM+CDMA+voLTE, hence it's higher price despite low volumes. Much like the Torch World series.
    08-20-18 05:00 AM
    Priv Verizon was an all chip variant which supported GSM+CDMA+voLTE, hence it's higher price despite low volumes. Much like the Torch World series.
    Most CDMA phones have GSM bands too... Verizon knows that for customers to be able to travel they need GSM bands for other markets.

Do wonder about 5G and if LT & 5G will bring us fewer variants or if there will still be the market differences?
    08-20-18 07:05 AM
    Most CDMA phones have GSM bands too... Verizon knows that for customers to be able to travel they need GSM bands for other markets.

Do wonder about 5G and if LT & 5G will bring us fewer variants or if there will still be the market differences?
    Makes me wonder too. All voLTE should ideally function on common bands much like how 2G/3G worked for basic circuit switch calls.
    08-20-18 08:24 AM
    Unfortunately, there are still lots of frequencies in use for cell phones. Yes, once VoLTE becomes the worldwide standard, it will all be "data" with no frequencies dedicated just to voice, but that's not going to change the fact that different countries, and even different carriers in big countries like the US, will use different bands that others don't use.

I think SKW count will be reduced, but don't expect one phone to have all bands for all territories and carriers anytime soon. Also, keep in mind that while VoLTE has been in use in the US for a couple of years already, many countries haven't even tested their systems yet, much less rolled them out. It's going to be a while before legacy systems are completely gone internationally.
    08-20-18 10:59 AM