Alright.

I admit defeat. I caved and bought the KEY2. After how sluggish my KEYone got, I felt like I had no choice in the matter. I've been a BlackBerry user for roughly 12-13 years, I've had every model since 2007. So I think I have a lot to take away here with the KEY2.

I find the overall experience almost identical to the KEYone. The keyboard is a tad bit more spacious, and I love the matte keys but I find to be making errors (not sure why, it's probably just a little bit of re-learning the keys).

The Camera, a hit or miss. Takes good photos when there's a lot of light, even works well on snapchat(finally!) but low light photos seem to suffer. You don't get that "pop" from photos with this one. I hope the sensors are dramatically improved for the KEY3 (go the P20 Pro route if you have too!).

Software, pretty much identical - except the shortcut key. Sure makes using the phone day to day a breeze. Thank you. Although I could really use that clone app that the KEY2 LE has.

Here's where my issues start:

1. I'm not a fan of thin phones (this is certainly not best!). Why make this phone thinner, when you could of had the same thickness and gave us a 4000mAh battery? I don't get it.

2. Lack of accessories. I have the official KEY2 soft shell case and it sucks. The bottom is all exposed, and maybe it's just me but it's too thin of a case. I'm coming from an Incipio dual layer case for the KEYone and that worked perfectly fine. I can't find any "heavy duty" style cases online... am I missing something?

3. Speaker. a tad bit better than the KEYone but not as full sounding. Dramatically more tinny.

4. Battery life - I'm used to getting home with 20-50 percent left. Now I'm getting home with 10-35 percent. Certainly takes a hit. Not sure why. It's been almost a week with it.

5. BT 5 - I was under the impression Bluetooth 5 could connect to two devices at the same time, or am I mislead? My KEY2 doesn't seem to do that.

Things the KEY3 (or K3Y? lol) must have..
    (AM)OLED screen, no on screen nav keys. Improved sensors for camera, and a bigger battery. Stop making phones so thin. It drives me nuts.

PS: The $900 price point in Canada doesn't excite me. I wasn't "excited" for this phone as I have been for other BlackBerry's. I feel like this is what the KEYone should of been to be honest. Everyone I upgraded I got thrilled to get a new phone. I was more enthusiastic about the 9700 to 9780 upgrade than the KEYone to the KEY2 upgrade.. Maybe I'm older now and don't really care for new gadgets as much as I did before, but who knows?!

If anyone has any links for high duty cases please let me know!
    mithrazor likes this.
    09-18-18 02:10 AM
    I find the overall experience almost identical to the KEYone. The keyboard is a tad bit more spacious, and I love the matte keys but I find to be making errors (not sure why, it's probably just a little bit of re-learning the keys).

The keyboard is no good! I had to turn gestures off to have a decent typing, if I would have known this I would've waited for the Key2 LE save a couple of bucks
    09-18-18 09:09 AM

The keyboard is no good! I had to turn gestures off to have a decent typing, if I would have known this I would've waited for the Key2 LE save a couple of bucks
    The gestures aren't what bothers me. I think you might have a faulty keyboard? I'm not sure. I'm finding my error rate has gone up when I type in comparison to the KEYone. It's hard to explain.
    09-18-18 12:11 PM
    The gestures aren't what bothers me. I think you might have a faulty keyboard? I'm not sure. I'm finding my error rate has gone up when I type in comparison to the KEYone. It's hard to explain.
    Capacitive keys are a bit more sensitive than they were on the K1. Combine with autocorrrect and the other keyboard features like swipe down for symbols etc and that's pretty much it. Maybe they should have made the capacitive sensitivity adjustable, similar to keyboard lighting?

Still love the touch of this new keyboard though. I'm feeling right back at home. It's almost addictive.

Give it a few weeks to break in, and for your hands to adjust.
    09-18-18 01:37 PM
    OP what you mean by identical software experience? Is Ram management/limited open apps still an issue on Key2 for you.
    09-19-18 04:13 AM
    OP what you mean by identical software experience? Is Ram management/limited open apps still an issue on Key2 for you.
    No not an issue in the least. I think the OP may have just meant as far and UI/BlackBerry apps, etc. Just guessing but Ram mangement is definetly not an issue. Have not had one instance of slow down since launch.
    09-19-18 04:40 PM