05-25-19 04:54 PM
26 12
tools
    Hi all, as the title stated, I found a YouTube video on how I could use 2 SIM cards and an SD card at the same time.

As you all know, how the SIM tray on the BlackBerry Key 2 is designed, doesn't allow for the combination set up stated above.

So I prepared the things needed to do this (sand paper, lighter, a small tong, UHU stick glue)

At first, and I recommend for practise runs, I burned off unused or damaged sims. It requires some delicate or quick judgement when doing this. Then I peeled off the burnt plastic using the tongs to leave the SIM card bare.

Started shaving the Sd card with sandpaper, to make it thin.

After all that, I glued the burnt/bare SIM card to the SD card and put it into the SD card slot.

Turned my Key 2 and voila! It worked. SIM Card 1 + 2 + SD card.

For those interested to try this hack, watch this video I found on YouTube.

P.S If you wanna try this, It's at your own risk. Don't do it if you're not willing to replace your SIM card or SD Card or Key2 if anything goes wrong.
    05-17-19 02:32 PM
    Hi all, as the title stated, I found a YouTube video on how I could use 2 SIM cards and an SD card at the same time.

As you all know, how the SIM tray on the BlackBerry Key 2 is designed, doesn't allow for the combination set up stated above.

So I prepared the things needed to do this (sand paper, lighter, a small tong, UHU stick glue)

At first, and I recommend for practise runs, I burned off unused or damaged sims. It requires some delicate or quick judgement when doing this. Then I peeled off the burnt plastic using the tongs to leave the SIM card bare.

After all that, I glued the burnt/bare SIM card to the SD card and put it into the SD card slot.

P.S If you wanna try this, It's at your own risk. Don't do it if you're not willing to replace your SIM card or SD Card or Key2 if anything goes wrong.
    Very interesting... although high risk!

thanks for posting!
    Spartan Rookie likes this.
    05-17-19 02:35 PM
    Very interesting... although high risk!

thanks for posting!
    Yes! High risk indeed. I practised on 2 unused SIM cards and spoiled an old 1GB SD card.

But it was satisfying. Haha
    Rico4you likes this.
    05-17-19 02:42 PM
    Yes! High risk indeed. I practised on 2 unused SIM cards and spoiled an old 1GB SD card.

But it was satisfying. Haha
    you are a regular MacGyver! Awesome !
    05-17-19 02:43 PM
    you are a regular MacGyver! Awesome !
    😂
    Rico4you likes this.
    05-17-19 02:47 PM
    Good stuff. I always knew this was possible but was not too eager to try it. Thanks for verifying it for the Key2.
    05-17-19 03:25 PM

Hmmm, that is very tempting! Thanks,
    05-17-19 03:33 PM

Does the phone need to be a dual sim variant ? I have a UK spec key and this seems very interesting indeed !!!!
    05-17-19 07:44 PM
    seen that video way back but afraid to damage the sdcard and the sim. can you post pic of your sim tray finish product with the sd and sim?
    05-17-19 07:50 PM
    Does the phone need to be a dual sim variant ? I have a UK spec key and this seems very interesting indeed !!!!
    Oh yes I forget to mention that. Mine is the dual SIM variant yes.

I do know that there is a single SIM version but I'm not sure how the SIM card tray or set up is like.

P.S I think for the dual SIM or SD Card set up is called the hybrid version when described in device specifications.
    05-18-19 01:20 AM
    I did it also for my friends KEY2 but I used acetone to dissolve a SIM plastic and also shaved of some plastic from a SD card to make it less protruding, so it doesn't get so stuck in the slot. Works like a charm!
    05-18-19 02:27 AM
    seen that video way back but afraid to damage the sdcard and the sim. can you post pic of your sim tray finish product with the sd and sim?
    This is the SD Card. As can be seen, I stopped shaving it once I see metal. It's fine. We just need to shave off a few mm's.

Sorry replying to this thread , it doesn't allow multiple pics.
    Attached Thumbnails I beat the BlackBerry Key 2 dual SIM card and SD card slot!-170805.jpg  
    05-18-19 05:05 AM

As you can see the SD Card is shaved till I see metal.
    Attached Thumbnails I beat the BlackBerry Key 2 dual SIM card and SD card slot!-170805.jpg  
    05-18-19 05:06 AM
    That's the sim card + SD card tray
    Attached Thumbnails I beat the BlackBerry Key 2 dual SIM card and SD card slot!-170801.jpg  
    05-18-19 05:07 AM
    This is the other side of the SD card
    Attached Thumbnails I beat the BlackBerry Key 2 dual SIM card and SD card slot!-170804.jpg  
    05-18-19 05:08 AM
    Slightly different angle
    Attached Thumbnails I beat the BlackBerry Key 2 dual SIM card and SD card slot!-170803.jpg  
    05-18-19 05:09 AM
    guys, I ordered and install this microsim extender into my key2 just now, and it works great! I just have to use double sided tape and stick the external sim tray to the back of my key2, and use as phone case to protect it.

bought it at only 47pesos in Philippines
    Attached Thumbnails I beat the BlackBerry Key 2 dual SIM card and SD card slot!-175172.jpg  
    krzyabn likes this.
    05-18-19 11:13 AM
    I like the hack we did much more! It's more elegant and there's nothing sticking out of the slot. Not difficult to do and it's done in 20 minutes being extra careful. Second time I'll do it in ten. I used super glue (ciano-acrylate) so no waiting for the glue to dry more than couple of minutes...

Posted via CB10
    Rico4you and Spartan Rookie like this.
    05-18-19 03:07 PM
    The only thing I asked of my friend to do this, is to stick the secondary SIM on the SD card (not the main one) and to reformat to external storage ( since he did the adoptable storage thingy) so it wouldn't be pointless...

Posted via CB10
    05-18-19 03:19 PM
    The only thing I asked of my friend to do this, is to stick the secondary SIM on the SD card (not the main one) and to reformat to external storage ( since he did the adoptable storage thingy) so it wouldn't be pointless...

Posted via CB10
    I would love to do the hack thing if only from scratch, my sd is just full of data and is expensive here to buy new.

speaking of "adoptable" I was looking for that option when I first insert and formatting the card but cant find it.
    05-18-19 07:33 PM
    Go to Settings and then USB and Storage, click on the SD card option and then on the 3 dots in the upper right corner.
    I don't recommend it unless you have a really fast and good quality SD card (more than 50 mb/sec write speed)

Posted via CB10
    05-19-19 01:41 AM
    guys, I ordered and install this microsim extender into my key2 just now, and it works great! I just have to use double sided tape and stick the external sim tray to the back of my key2, and use as phone case to protect it.

Wow! Thats awesome. Can u show pics? That's amazing!
    05-20-19 12:04 AM

How does a dual sim like this work on a phone designed only for 1 sim?? I'm confused by the concept.
    05-22-19 08:17 PM
    How does a dual sim like this work on a phone designed only for 1 sim?? I'm confused by the concept.
    It isn't applicable for single sim phones.

The "hack" being described is for phones with dual sims that also have the combined sim/sd tray (ie: the user normally has to choose between having two sims inserted or one sim and sd card). The "hack" sticks a sim onto the sd card, and allows the phone to then use the sd card and two sims (all three simultaneously), which normally isn't possible. At least that's how I understand it.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-22-19 08:47 PM
    Wow! Thats awesome. Can u show pics? That's amazing!
    the screenshot pic shows sim1 and sim2 signal bar, plus the sandisk microsd 64GB.

the other pic shows the sim2 external sim adapter which i stick to the back of the phone using double sided tape.

the flex cable is very thin so im afraid i might break it if i keep the whole thing hanging loose. i got one of those flexible plastic bumper case protect the whole thing.

how thick is it? without a measuring device, i would guess its around the thickness of a sim card + a little less than 1mm.
    Attached Thumbnails I beat the BlackBerry Key 2 dual SIM card and SD card slot!-177839.jpg  
    05-25-19 04:51 PM
26 12