One way of telling a brand is dead? Beta version of keyboard software released in December 2018. No updates since.
    04-23-19 03:39 PM
    I dunno about that.. everything Google does is a perpetual beta and they seem 'alive'.
    04-23-19 03:50 PM
    One way of telling a brand is dead? Beta version of keyboard software released in December 2018. No updates since.
    Eh?

It's mature software. It doesn't need to be updated every month.

Most BlackBerry betas become production versions (no change in number), and keyboard software now gets delivered via OS updates.

Version 3.4.1.16457 was released as production as part of the March build.
    Last edited by conite; 04-23-19 at 04:00 PM.
    04-23-19 03:50 PM
    I dunno about that.. everything Google does is a perpetual beta and they seem 'alive'.
    Nope, Google's also dead lol
    04-23-19 03:51 PM
    Eh?

It's mature software. It doesn't need to be updated every month.
    Come on Conite. You're in construction not software dev. How could you possibly defend the software is mature when there are still issues. That's the whole point of beta programs. A broader testing crowd enhances the feedback loop. But - an active software company - in a 5 month period, would either release a new beta or a gold master or a production version.

They are just clueless.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    04-23-19 04:03 PM
    Come on Conite. You're in construction not software dev. How could you possibly defend the software is mature when there are still issues. That's the whole point of beta programs. A broader testing crowd enhances the feedback loop. But - an active software company - in a 5 month period, would either release a new beta or a gold master or a production version.

They are just clueless.
    And you know it's the apk that is the problem, and if so, that it can be fixed? You are certain that the low-level drivers, APIs, or OS bits aren't the issue?

As I've stated before, either they didn't get enough complaints, or they can't fix it. Either way, it won't bring you another apk, or that it would do anything anyway.
    04-23-19 04:04 PM
    And you know it's the apk that is the problem, and if so, that it can be fixed? You are certain that the low-level drivers or APIs aren't the issue?

As I've stated before, either they didn't get enough complaints, or they can't fix it. Either way, it won't bring you another apk.
    One thing I am certain of is that if teams would start collaborating it wouldn't take a year to get past these issues.

With true leadership it doesn't matter if it's the apk or the low level driver or the whatever. It's a brand's willingness and ability to take ownership and communicate adequately to its customer base of the actions it is taking to find a solution.
    04-23-19 04:20 PM
    One thing I am certain of is that if teams would start collaborating it wouldn't take a year to get past these issues.

With true leadership it doesn't matter if it's the apk or the low level driver or the whatever. It's a brand's willingness and ability to take ownership and communicate adequately to its customer base of the actions it is taking to find a solution.
    If they only got a dozen reports, they won't put any additional effort into it. That's just common sense.

Your OP was about the apk. So if you're now just making this another thread about your keyboard issue, then have fun.
    04-23-19 04:22 PM
    And you know it's the apk that is the problem, and if so, that it can be fixed? You are certain that the low-level drivers, APIs, or OS bits aren't the issue?

As I've stated before, either they didn't get enough complaints, or they can't fix it. Either way, it won't bring you another apk, or that it would do anything anyway.
    Ah, but there's the rub Conite, we the wildly affected, are left out to dry. By affected, to be clear, is all PKB's on the K2. Some from mild to wild, but, you already know that and have stated such. So, this is what BlackBerry is today! Enterprise means nothing, PKB issues mean nothing, a red painted K2 means nothing, releasing a K3 means nothing. Is the writing on the wall Conite?
    04-23-19 04:26 PM
    If they only got a dozen reports, they won't put any additional effort into it. That's just common sense.

Your OP was about the apk. So if you're now just making this another thread about your keyboard issue, then have fun.
    So if Boeing only gets a dozen reports of planes blowing up they won't look into the matter? Dozens of reports means there is something wrong in every case.

That's the whole problem with approaching things mathematically.

It's just like when Steve Jobs said "your holding it wrong" with the iPhone antennagate. That was a mistake. You simply cannot say that 1 or 2 additional swipes or SYM or cursor mode pop-ups is "fine". When you let your standards down like that it's time to get out of the business.
    Vistaus likes this.
    04-23-19 04:33 PM
    So if Boeing only gets a dozen reports of planes blowing up they won't look into the matter? Dozens of reports means there is something wrong in every case.
    Not an accurate analogy. If Boeing got 12 complaints that the seat belts are uncomfortable is a more accurate comparison.
    johnb_xp likes this.
    04-23-19 04:37 PM

That's the whole problem with approaching things mathematically.

It's just like when Steve Jobs said "your holding it wrong" with the iPhone antennagate. That was a mistake. You simply cannot say that 1 or 2 additional swipes or SYM or cursor mode pop-ups is "fine". When you let your standards down like that it's time to get out of the business.
    If you're comparing a swipe gesture on a mobile device to a crashing airplane and death, I see why you are so wrapped up in this.

How much do you allocate to a problem reported by dozens of users? $100,000? $1,000,000? Or is there no cost too high?

They've apparently done what they can or are willing to do. Time to move on.
    johnb_xp likes this.
    04-23-19 04:37 PM
    Enterprise means nothing, PKB issues mean nothing, a red painted K2 means nothing, releasing a K3 means nothing. Is the writing on the wall Conite?
    2 years was the promise.

We'll see if Google has an issue with that. Perhaps they already revised the program, or weren't sticklers on it. We have no idea - that's Google's issue.
    04-23-19 04:39 PM
    If you're comparing a swipe gesture on a mobile device to a crashing airplane and death, I see why you are so wrapped up in this.

How much do you allocate to a problem reported by dozens of users? $100,000? $1,000,000? Or is there no cost too high?

They've apparently done what they can or are willing to do. Time to move on.
    Your last line their Conite is not very Ambassadorish, is it?!?
    04-23-19 04:42 PM
    Your last line their Conite is not very Ambassadorish, is it?!?
    That's the best, most reasonable, dispassionate, and thoughtful advice I can give.
    04-23-19 04:43 PM
    That's the best, most reasonable, and thoughtful advice I can give.
    I understand!
    04-23-19 04:44 PM

I am not making this just another thread about the keyboard issue. I am seriously and honestly concerned about what the future will bring for PKB enthusiasts like us. We are in a niche - I get that - but TCL and BBMobile decided to make this their USP.

I think I , as a customer spending 600+ EUR, am either entitled to a solution or an official statement that certain features aren't flawless and they are either working on a solution or not.

Which brings me to my original statement that keeping a beta alive for close to six months doesn't show much initiative.
    Vistaus likes this.
    04-23-19 04:45 PM
    Which brings me to my original statement that keeping a beta alive for close to six months doesn't show much initiative.
    It's not alive. It is now a production version, distributed in March.

I suspect that even if they were to work on the keyboard issue anymore, it would certainly NOT be addressed in the app.

I'm sure if a KEY³ is getting close to release, apk activity would start up again in earnest.
    04-23-19 04:50 PM
    So does anyone actually know why there has been no BlackBerry keyboard update in so long or is this thread just another OP bashing?

Who knows, perhaps the BlackBerry keyboard App is EOL too for all we know. Either that or just laying dormant until (if?) Pie is released for the Key2.
    04-23-19 04:51 PM
    Not an accurate analogy. If Boeing got 12 complaints that the seat belts are uncomfortable is a more accurate comparison.
    I know there is a difference. I just wanted to point out that in a consumer facing industry dozens of complaints should raise an alarm especially when people are actually saying that they all experience the issue but that they aren't bothered too much because they don't use the feature "that much".

It's very easy to downplay the severity because the majority of the people are " accepting" the issue.

A company raising standards instead of lowering them would not accept dozens of complaints.
    04-23-19 04:53 PM
    So does anyone actually know why there has been no BlackBerry keyboard update in so long or is this thread just another OP bashing?

Who knows, perhaps the BlackBerry keyboard App is EOL too for all we know. Either that or just laying dormant until (if?) Pie is released for the Key2.
    The hardware has been out for 10 months. What kind of development would you imagine at this point?

The latest version was just released in March incidentally - after 2 months in beta testing.
    04-23-19 04:53 PM
    As I've stated before, either they didn't get enough complaints, or they can't fix it.
    According to my BlackBerry Mobile Technical Support representative, there have been a significant number of reports regarding the PKB sensitivity issue and they are no longer accepting them in Tier 3. BlackBerry Mobile is obviously well aware of the PKB sensitivity issue... that is a fact.

Unfortunately as you stated, it's seems evident BlackBerry Mobile can't fix the PKB sensitivity issue which is very disappointing.

Bob
    Vistaus likes this.
    04-23-19 04:58 PM
    The hardware has been out for 10 months. What kind of development would you imagine at this point?

The latest version was just released in March incidentally - after 2 months in beta testing.
    Which is exactly the problem. People invest 600+ EUR in a device that's being tweaked and software developed "en Cours du route" only to find out that you're actually holding an obsolete device after 2 years (according to the manufacturer that is) with discontinued updates of the "old" device and a new marketing promises with the new one.

That's what you get when money is taking precedence over being proud over brand quality.
    Vistaus likes this.
    04-23-19 05:03 PM
    According to my BlackBerry Mobile Technical Support representative, there have been a significant number of reports regarding the PKB sensitivity issue and they are no longer accepting them in Tier 3. BlackBerry Mobile is obviously well aware of the PKB sensitivity issue... that is a fact.

Unfortunately as you stated, it's seems evident BlackBerry Mobile can't fix the PKB sensitivity issue which is very disappointing.

Bob
    We are in agreement, although I have no accounting for how many reports your support guy deems "significant" .
    04-23-19 05:03 PM
    Which is exactly the problem. People invest 600+ EUR in a device that's being tweaked and software developed "en Cours du route" only to find out that you're actually holding an obsolete device after 2 years (according to the manufacturer that is) with discontinued updates of the "old" device and a new marketing promises with the new one.

That's what you get when money is taking precedence over being proud over brand quality.
    My KEYᵒⁿᵉ certainly doesn't feel obsolete to me. It functions very well, and does what I need it to do.

I suspect I will feel the same about my KEY² next year.
    04-23-19 05:06 PM
112 123 ...