Hi,
    maybe mine is a dumb question, but..

does someboby knows if (and how) is possible to type letters in dialer?
    Otherwise.. does somebody knows an alternative dialer app that can do that?

My bank requires that I type an alphanumeric security code when I call the helpdesk to speak with a human operator.
    08-04-21 09:19 AM
    Just use the letter corresponding keys. It's only detecting the touch tone. eg: 1866BLKBERR = 18662552377
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-04-21 10:12 AM
    Hi,
    maybe mine is a dumb question, but..

does someboby knows if (and how) is possible to type letters in dialer?
    Otherwise.. does somebody knows an alternative dialer app that can do that?

My bank requires that I type an alphanumeric security code when I call the helpdesk to speak with a human operator.
    Most automated system understand that you might not be able to type in a letter, so they will accept the corresponding number that is on the same pad as the letter. For example the 2 is always A, B and C
    08-04-21 10:12 AM
    Ok, how to type ABBC or BACC or ACBA ? :-D
    I don't think 2222 would be accepted.
    08-04-21 10:18 AM
    Yep... the systems are designed to work this way. Lot's of people still using landline that have no keyboard options at all.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-04-21 10:27 AM
    Normally, quick successive repetition of 2 switches between A and B, etc....
    08-04-21 05:57 PM
    It would. Imagine you were calling the number from a pay phone (yes, in some places, those still exist), or from a home landline phone - you'd be using the numerical buttons. Phone systems don't actually support letters - only numbers and the two symbols - so if you are calling in to some system, that's what it will expect.
    08-04-21 07:42 PM
    It would. Imagine you were calling the number from a pay phone (yes, in some places, those still exist), or from a home landline phone - you'd be using the numerical buttons. Phone systems don't actually support letters - only numbers and the two symbols - so if you are calling in to some system, that's what it will expect.
    I was recently watching some old retro 80s movie or tv show and my daughters saw the character stop at pay telephone and make a phone call, to return a page and check answering machine remotely. Told my daughters somewhere I still have in storage from 30 years ago. My daughters said, "cool" and let's go find and make a TikTok of them. Me - Really?!? Daughters - NO
    playfoot likes this.
    08-04-21 09:21 PM
    Just jumping in here, of curiosity. Isn't it stupid then to urge for an alfanumeric code if the device can't support it? Why not a numeric code?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-21 02:28 AM
    I am not sure anymore if I fully understand the code requirement the OP was originally referring to, but I think I now assume that the codes in question have nothing to do with the phone, but more about just all the services the user uses, like banking, etc...
    Last edited by spARTacus; 08-05-21 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
    08-05-21 07:27 AM
    I am not sure anymore if I fully understand the code requirement the OP was originally referring to, but I think I now assume that the codes in question have nothing to do with the phone, but more about just all the services the user uses, like banking, etc...
    ?

He made it pretty clear... wanted to type letters on his phone dialer so he could enter an alphanumeric security code for his bank. Not really that uncommon.

There have been letters associated with the number on a rotary or push button dialer.... well since there have been phones. Most early exchanges began with letters. Many today business have a custom number that easy to remember as a name or slogan.
    08-05-21 08:24 AM
    Just jumping in here, of curiosity. Isn't it stupid then to urge for an alfanumeric code if the device can't support it? Why not a numeric code?

Posted via CB10
    Not really. Sometime they can use a word that's easier to remember than a string of numbers would be.
    08-05-21 08:45 AM
    Not really. Sometime they can use a word that's easier to remember than a string of numbers would be.
    Yes, of course, I see and also I guess, what was mentioned earlier, that it might be a universal code also ment for other logins (internet) to the same account .

Posted via CB10
    08-05-21 08:52 AM
    ...He made it pretty clear...
    Yes it is clear. I initially miss-read.
    08-05-21 02:15 PM
    If you have a number,like 1800-got-junk and you paste that into the dial window it will convert to numbers

Try copying "tester" from this message and pasting it there

Heck! Even copy that 1-800 number to test
    08-06-21 02:17 PM
    being old is not as bad as it could be sometimes. I do know that I started in computers with PCdos & MSdos typing in commands manually on a clicky keyboard and graduated to time present with less misery on all of the iterations of Windows and whatnot because I had some knowledge of how the thing worked. Now such knowledge has unnecessary and everything is an icon just like the ancient Egyptians and Greeks where little was known underneath the meaning. I think that there's an advantage to experience. Or somebody May show me that I should say maybe not.
    08-06-21 04:09 PM
    the dialer on a stock Blackberry phone will allow you to type a telephone number in a text application separately, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it into the dialer window. it should be able to occur even while you're on the call and ask it to dial again and it'll put up the proper tones if those are necessary. I think that's true. At least it used to be.
    08-06-21 04:13 PM