I had a k1 a long while ago and whilst I liked it a lot I did end up parting company eventually.

I really like the look of the k2 but am wondering how much of an improvement it really is.

Camera seems a slight improvement

Processor is better but hardly cutting edge

Keyboard is apparently a slight step up

Other than That though I’m wondering how much better it really is? Right now the K1 Black is available at almost half the price?
    I’d wait 30-60 days from NA release and compare data points regarding price and usability.
    07-08-18 06:08 PM
    .....The 845 on the S9 scores in the 3500 single core range on geekbench and 8500-9000 multicore, while the 660 scores around 1600 single core and 5500-6000 multi core.

Not even in the same league.
    Does that factor in under actual usage pattern or more of a theoretical use benchmark test?
    07-08-18 06:10 PM
    .....The 845 on the S9 scores in the 3500 single core range on geekbench and 8500-9000 multicore, while the 660 scores around 1600 single core and 5500-6000 multi core.

Not even in the same league.
    Multi-core is the relevant benchmark for a smartphone.

660 is only 4% off from the 835 on average.
    07-08-18 06:17 PM

Which is better comparison too because the 845 is probably still difficult for BBMo/TCL in terms of procurement.
    07-08-18 06:20 PM

And the 845 destroys the 835. So yeah, we're almost getting flagship 2017 speeds 1.5 years later. - suppose that's not terrible.

Not sure where you're getting this 4% though... seems like there's a much bigger difference that that based on geekbench stats.

Seems to be 15-16% slower based on verifiable results.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/The-...e-test_id94330

Not bad, but again, that's from 1.5 years ago.
    07-08-18 06:21 PM
    Which is better comparison too because the 845 is probably still difficult for BBMo/TCL in terms of procurement.
    All the GPU might of the 835/845 is wasted cost on the KEYs.
    07-08-18 06:21 PM
    And the 845 destroys the 835. So yeah, we're almost getting flagship 2017 speeds 1.5 years later. - suppose that's not terrible.
    Considering that 96% of smartphones use less than the 845.

It doesn't have to be #1 or bust.

KEY² is getting scores pushing 5900. Pixel 2 is 6280. So, 6%. But whatever. We're splitting hairs.
    Last edited by conite; 07-08-18 at 07:49 PM.
    07-08-18 06:23 PM

Not sure where you're getting this 4% though... seems like there's a much bigger difference that that based on geekbench stats.

Seems to be 15-16% slower based on verifiable results.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/The-...e-test_id94330

Not bad, but again, that's from 1.5 years ago.
    Exactly. If k1 had snapdragon 835, I would probably just skip k2. After a year, k2 barely caught up with snapdragon 835 territory.
    07-08-18 07:30 PM
    That 'Midnight Black' is also and officially referred to 'Space Black' and if you were to seek one out, I'd use the 'Space Black' name so nobody's confused.
    07-08-18 09:03 PM
    It's called "Space" black.
    Yes sir, that would be why people didn't think it existed. Officially it's 'Space Black' but I'd heard of it being referred to as 'Midnight Black' too, which could and probably was a mistake and then that's what I too called it.

:-)

lol, but yeah, 'Space Black' - haha
    07-08-18 09:06 PM
    Considering that 96% of smartphones use less than the 845.

It doesn't have to be #1 or bust.
    I was really waiting to see a comment like this.

People are sooo nitpicky about the damn processor, like even if they used the 835, people would bash it because it's "last year's". I know tech moves fast, but not THAT fast to get so worked up about having a 1.5 year old chip
    Mike-Mike likes this.
    07-09-18 06:49 AM
    I had a k1 a long while ago and whilst I liked it a lot I did end up parting company eventually.

I really like the look of the k2 but am wondering how much of an improvement it really is.

Camera seems a slight improvement

Processor is better but hardly cutting edge

Keyboard is apparently a slight step up

Other than That though I’m wondering how much better it really is? Right now the K1 Black is available at almost half the price?

Honestly, this is a huge step up. Just the processor alone has changed everything. Most of the time my Keyone was so slow I wanted to snap the thing in half. I could not do anything without it grinding to a halt. I am sorry, but my old samsung galaxy s6 could run everything I was trying to run on my Keyone without a hitch. I was constantly disabling apps, changing those animations to speed it up, disabling the hub. If you have to go into your phone and disable a ton of stuff just to make it work properly then you gotta admit, there is a problem.

I have put my Key2 through the ringer and it hasnt missed a beat. I installed so many apps (that I later removed) just to stress it out and nothing has slowed it down. So for that alone, I am much happier. The extra 3 gigs of ram is awesome as well.

I really dont see why so many people complain about the camera. Its better than any phone ive ever had. Maybe I dont care because I dont upload photos of my food onto instagram. But the photos I have taken so far have been awesome and the portrait mode legit makes it look like I shot the photos with my DSLR.

Keyboard rules too. Yes, my spacebar is very clicky. I dont care though. I am a pc gamer and I have the clickiest mechanical keyboard money can buy so I love it.

At the end of the day its just a cell phone and I just think people will look for anything to complain about.
    07-09-18 07:11 AM
    I was really waiting to see a comment like this.

People are sooo nitpicky about the damn processor, like even if they used the 835, people would bash it because it's "last year's". I know tech moves fast, but not THAT fast to get so worked up about having a 1.5 year old chip
    We should probably just be paying 2016/17 prices then too. I wonder what the average price for a 660 phone is? Probably half what the Key2 costs...
    Mecca EL and Fred Wu like this.
    07-09-18 07:12 AM
    We should probably just be paying 2016/17 prices then too. I wonder what the average price for a 660 phone is? Probably half what the Key2 costs...
    But how much does that phone cost its OEM to manufacture it when it is just a slab and said OEM doesn't have licensing fees to pay to another company?
    07-09-18 07:20 AM
    When you own an Android OEM, you can set the prices. There is no "correct" price for anything. That's the definition of a market: sellers and buyers make independent decisions.

In the mean time, the ONLY measure of whether or not the price of the KEY2, or any product not subject to price regulation, is correct is whether or not the seller meets its sales and profit objectives.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Mike-Mike likes this.
    07-09-18 07:25 AM
    Do those other companies have to cover their entire overhead with around 1-2 million smartphone sales a year?
    07-09-18 08:31 AM
    now that I got mine I can say, huge step up. the extra rams helps the performance big time, extra storage is welcomed if you use a lot and the keyboard is amazing. it looks muchhhh better and modern. the camera is a step up and is pretty good.
    07-09-18 08:46 AM
    I would gladly purchase a 660 device cheaper than Key2. Where can I get a 660 device with PKB cheaper? Thanks in advance, Chuck...
    Mike-Mike likes this.
    07-09-18 08:52 AM
    I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and a LG V30. The V30 is my everyday driver because I like how it works and I dont have to worry about sending my photo library to the world at night while I sleep. Is it a tiny tad bit slower than the S9+, Of course it is. Is that much of a difference to be a deal breaker, Hell no. That being said to say this, a Key 2 with a 660 will be more than fast enough for my needs. The speed geeks always want to say they have the fastest phone but does it really matter when your only talking about micro seconds. I believe the added ram will be the solution to lag problems. My LG v30 is almost as fats as My S9+ and its got tow gb less. Go Blackberry.
    07-09-18 01:32 PM
    I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and a LG V30. The V30 is my everyday driver because I like how it works and I dont have to worry about sending my photo library to the world at night while I sleep. Is it a tiny tad bit slower than the S9+, Of course it is. Is that much of a difference to be a deal breaker, Hell no. That being said to say this, a Key 2 with a 660 will be more than fast enough for my needs. The speed geeks always want to say they have the fastest phone but does it really matter when your only talking about micro seconds. I believe the added ram will be the solution to lag problems. My LG v30 is almost as fats as My S9+ and its got tow gb less. Go Blackberry.
    I think swapping one of those phones for the KEY2 would make a great combo, rather than having both slabs which do most things similarly
    07-09-18 03:43 PM
    It's called "Space" black.
    You Sir, are correct. Going to make the edit.
    07-09-18 06:15 PM
    I'm running Android on a modified Vic 20. All I have to do is pop in this cassette marked 'Android' and wait.
    07-09-18 06:19 PM
    I'm running Android on a modified Vic 20. All I have to do is pop in this cassette marked 'Android' and wait.
    LOL
    07-09-18 06:44 PM
    As soon as I get a screen protector and the flip case (OEM snob I am) I am definitely going to make the KEY2 my daily everything.

I'm gonna test it out with my video headset to see if landscape fills the display. For example, if I connect my Passport or Classic to my Glyph, it doesn't scale. I'm thinking the KEY2 might actually work, just haven't had the time to try yet. I use the Motion and my Z30 for the Glyph, as well as use the Glyph as my Surface Pro 3 monitor for privacy when I'm studying my online courses.

Anybody else notice how good the BlackBerry Mobile boxes are? I have. Strange observation, I know, but I went and bought some supplies to modify these boxes (especially the Motion box) to contain MP12600, a power brick, and cabling strategically placed and secured in place using Velcro tape. Then, my KEYone box is going to containe my wireless hard drive and my other MP12600 because it all fits so perfectly.

I'm going to make the boxes even more durable too, by skinning them.
    07-09-18 11:27 PM
    The Key2 is supposed to be slightly better in every category.. not drastically better. You can't expect an entire revamp. That's for another PKD BBMobile tends to release later this year .

So while everyone's bickering about the Key2, BlackBerry Mobile is plotting the release of an entire new PKD phone that's not apart of the Key series.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-18 01:47 AM
54 123