Yeah i don't understand why carriers won't stock. Surely it wouldn't be much work to have 1 unique phone out of a sea of slabs.
    Carrying inventory cost and low sales potential compared with others devices. Adding to problem is that BBMo/TCL doesn’t have the resources to pay amounts to knock another OEM from the shelf and get premium spacing location as well. That’s expensive for the amount of carrier locations.
    07-30-18 07:02 AM
    From June 2017 to January 2018, TCL sold 850,000 KEYone. It is July so they had to sell about 1 million. For the KEY2 it's hard to say how much TCL will sell but if they do not change their sales strategy, it will not sell anymore.
    That was a report for an analyst that isn't know as having insights into the mobile market in general or TCL specifically - and he offered no info on what his guess was based on. We don't know how many KEYone's have been sold, as TCL Communications nor BlackBerry LTD have given even a clue. All we know is that TCL Communications said that sales exceeded their expectations, and they have moved forward. But that might be more a strategy to give the brand some time to rebuild and less about the sales of one device. Unfortunately the Motion didn't help much in the "rebuilding" and I sorta doubt that the KEY2 has either. Maybe a more moderately priced KEY2 Lite will open the doors to more sales channels...

I
    07-30-18 07:06 AM
    Carrying inventory cost and low sales potential compared with others devices. Adding to problem is that BBMo/TCL doesn’t have the resources to pay amounts to knock another OEM from the shelf and get premium spacing location as well. That’s expensive for the amount of carrier locations.
    They stock over a hundred slabs and every now and then a new chinese model pops up. Surely they can fit one more in , even trial it. It was a tricky thing in the past due to the blackberry not having android and a much smaller screen.
    07-30-18 06:23 PM
    They stock over a hundred slabs and every now and then a new chinese model pops up. Surely they can fit one more in , even trial it. It was a tricky thing in the past due to the blackberry not having android and a much smaller screen.
    They can fit in whatever BBMo/TCL is willing to pay to play for. The OEMs have been spending huge promotion budgets like the Cold War arms race.
    pdr733 likes this.
    07-30-18 08:29 PM
    They have "trialed it"...

BlackBerry isn't a new brand, PKBs aren't a new form factor. Carriers know how these sold in the past, and they know how they are selling today. My Carrier Verizon knows how many unlocked KEYones were activated on their network...

It's not a matter of seeing if there is any demand...
    07-31-18 07:08 AM
    I suspect that the return rate was higher than normal for the Keyone which was similar to the PRIV. On the all touch side, TCL needs to replicate their successful TV strategy. One notch below flagship but at a competitive price.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    07-31-18 09:08 AM
    They have "trialed it"...

BlackBerry isn't a new brand, PKBs aren't a new form factor. Carriers know how these sold in the past, and they know how they are selling today. My Carrier Verizon knows how many unlocked KEYones were activated on their network...

It's not a matter of seeing if there is any demand...
    What are you implying, that it's been done and tested? And not worth it? The biggest hold back for the device back then was that it wasn't running android and the screen was just too small and not capable for media. Times have changed and a larger screen with the full android experience with the apps everyone wants is there, to go along with the pkb.
    07-31-18 09:34 AM
    I suspect that the return rate was higher than normal for the Keyone which was similar to the PRIV. On the all touch side, TCL needs to replicate their successful TV strategy. One notch below flagship but at a competitive price.
    Pretty clear that competitive price just ins't possible with the licensing deal... we will see when Optimeus launches their new phones if that is the case... and we we see what their update process is (smart move might be to drop the updates in favor of lower prices in "that" market)
    07-31-18 09:37 AM
    If you are correct then TCL is clueless about the mobile market and BlackBerry as well . OEMs are expected to provide security updates and a current OS. The only portion of the BlackBerry fee that might be considered to be direct cost of manufacturing is the kernel.

BBmo and BlackBerry need to work together to come up with a branding strategy that is suitable for the USA all touch market.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 07-31-18 at 10:18 AM.
    07-31-18 09:46 AM
    The Priv was such a flop - low sales plus high returns - that the carriers are rightly skeptical of the brand. Over the next couple of years they may take another attempt at selling BlackBerrys in stores if and only if they see a growing demand for them and are confident that TCL is in it for the long-term.
    07-31-18 10:10 AM
    Pretty clear that competitive price just ins't possible with the licensing deal... we will see when Optimeus launches their new phones if that is the case... and we we see what their update process is (smart move might be to drop the updates in favor of lower prices in "that" market)
    I think that all BlackBerry branded phones have to meet the BlackBerry Secure standard . You are probably correct in this standard is higher than the security standards of their competitors.
    07-31-18 10:11 AM
    If you are correct then TCL is clueless about the mobile market and BlackBerry as well . OEMs are expected to provide security updates and a current OS. The only portion of the BlackBerry fee that might be considered to be direct cost of manufacturing is the kernel.

BBmo and BlackBerry need to work together to come up with a branding strategy that is suitable for the USA all touch market.
    Brand (Name, IP like Keyboard, products like Suite of Apps)
    OS tweaks to provided Android Secure
    Updates - monthly and patches (clearly that isn't include in the initial OS)
    Cost of doing business in different markets.

It is what it is... pretty clear based on the pattern of four devices that we have seen come out of the BlackBerry licensing deal that it is a very costly process.

We will soon see with the two Optiemus phones and the KEY2 LE if the trend continues. The one thing with the Optiemus phones is if they don't include the updates as BB Merah Putih didn't. For a low volume product from an OEM (or just a distributor in Optiemus case) that could be a significant cost... to set up and maintain.

Anyway... there is no reason for BlackBerry to cut their fees and no reason for an OEM to bother if they can't make the profit they want.
    07-31-18 11:27 AM
    Carriers will offer it if it would sell in quantities that move the needle. The problem is for it to get to that point, there's a lot of prep work to do.

($) - hardware and software needs to be certified and tested. customers expect new devices to "just work." here on crackberry, we're a little more hands-on / tech-savvy than most customers.

($) - cost of distribution for every BlackBerry that gets shipped to a store, that's a Pixel, Samsung, LG, Apple product that doesn't make it into the shipment. no one wants a stocking problem for devices most customers want.

($) - biller configuration, table changes, whitelisting and cost of supporting the device from the carrier network side.

($) - develop marketing materials.

($) - develop support website for device.

($) - tech support training.

($) - let's not forget the cost of buying inventory and hoping you sell it. Let's be honest, TCL is not necessarily in a position to offer concessions.

Long story short: going into carrier inventory is not easy. it's not like a best buy/electronics store, where as soon as the initial warranty is up, service and support is someone else's problem.
    07-31-18 02:29 PM
    Would AT&T sell the Key2 if they did not have KEYone inventory ?
    07-31-18 05:06 PM
    Edit
    07-31-18 05:09 PM
    AT&T one year anniversary is Labor Day weekend. It was announced 90 days after initial release and sold by AT&T 30 days later. I would expect Key2 for sale by AT&T November 1 if ever carried... it's possible Key2 LE instead of Key2 also...
    07-31-18 09:55 PM
    Not if the decision was made not too. KEY2 is a different device, there will be cost associated with "marketing" (for KEYone that was just web cost), support, and inventory.

Still would not be surprised if AT&T adds it latter.... or skips it and adds the KEY2 LE whenever it gets launched or a few months later. I assume based on what BBMo said that their is "some" interest in BBMo offerings, and if that's the case it should be enough to keep AT&T on board with a web only option.
    08-01-18 07:30 AM
    Maybe advertise Key2 as being not available in the USA and watch sales soar world wide. (sarcasm )
    08-01-18 10:12 AM
    AT&T one year anniversary is Labor Day weekend. It was announced 90 days after initial release and sold by AT&T 30 days later. I would expect Key2 for sale by AT&T November 1 if ever carried...

...it's possible Key2 LE instead of Key2 also...
    AT&T's history would indicate them offering the lower-spec device, which means no purchase by me.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    08-01-18 02:08 PM
    I was going to buy one but then chickened out because of the price, but im definitely tempted to buy one soon or later

Posted with BlackBerry Passport SE via CB10
    08-01-18 07:25 PM
    AT&T's history would indicate them offering the lower-spec device, which means no purchase by me.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    I’ll settle for whatever AT&T carries, especially if WiFi calling is available this go around..
    08-01-18 09:40 PM
    I’ll settle for whatever AT&T carries, especially if WiFi calling is available this go around..
    Why is WIFI calling so important to you and others? Is it a USA thing? Does not seem to be important in Canada. There are App alternatives?
    08-17-18 10:15 AM
    Why is WIFI calling so important to you and others? Is it a USA thing? Does not seem to be important in Canada. There are App alternatives?
    Not important in Canada? I'm in Canada. And when I'm working in my basement home office where my cell reception isn't great, the WiFi calling kicks in and I have no problems making calls. Or at work where some areas of the building have cell dead zones.
    08-17-18 11:14 AM
    Not important in Canada? I'm in Canada. And when I'm working in my basement home office where my cell reception isn't great, the WiFi calling kicks in and I have no problems making calls. Or at work where some areas of the building have cell dead zones.
    Thanks I was not aware of that. My WIFI us good and I seldom get calls since I am not working in the basement etc.
    08-17-18 01:02 PM
    Huge plus overseas as well.
    08-17-18 05:18 PM
51 123