I had a PRIV for 3 years before transitioning to the KEY2 and I found the keyboard to be flawless in comparison to the KEY2. I never had any issues with typing and swiping predicted words on the PRIV keyboard. The KEY2 unfortunately is not a good experience typing and swiping predicted words... that is a fact.

Bob
    It's a much better experience typing words. Flicking and swiping words is a different story. As I don't use those functions very often, I have no complaints. Though if I did, I can see your point.
    05-28-19 01:13 PM
    It's a much better experience typing words. Flicking and swiping words is a different story. As I don't use those functions very often, I have no complaints. Though if I did, I can see your point.
    I do agree the physical keyboard is much better than the PRIV as the keys are a more comfortable size... the PRIV keys were indeed small but I adjusted no problem and it wasn't an issue for me.

Bob
    05-28-19 01:17 PM
    The Priv also had zero loose or intermittently failing keys.

There's a lot for BBMo to learn about that phone's keyboard.
    05-28-19 01:32 PM
    I'm finding the keyboard experience on the Key2 better since last year. In general, the software has improved (a few necessary tweaks pending...hint: toggles for sym and cursor mode) and to me at least, the physical feel of the keyboard seems a bit "tighter" and solid than last year's build. My first Key2 was a silver from July 2018, my new black is April 2019.

The PRIV was a great device and it had a much better display. Keyboard was a bit cramped but I'll admit, it had less problems out of the box than the Key2's keyboard did initially.
    05-28-19 01:33 PM
    I totally agree about the PKB. Plus I also got the Pie upgrade on my work issued Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and now the battery dies in under 2 hours and it keeps overheating... If that's how it's going to go, I'm glad I don't have the update on my Key2.
    05-28-19 02:06 PM
    I totally agree about the PKB. Plus I also got the Pie upgrade on my work issued Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and now the battery dies in under 2 hours and it keeps overheating... If that's how it's going to go, I'm glad I don't have the update on my Key2.
    My pixel 1 and 2 both are on android pie and it's been outstanding. Your Samsung Note 8 may need to factory reset.
    05-28-19 02:41 PM
    If we’re to compare previous iterations of PKB, we should be fair and include the IBM Selectric PKB as it was revolutionary in the industry. My father’s secretary would stake her life on it's dependability over newer computer PKBs in the 80’s and thereafter...
    05-28-19 03:43 PM
    If we’re to compare previous iterations of PKB, we should be fair and include the IBM Selectric PKB as it was revolutionary in the industry. My father’s secretary would stake her life on it's dependability over newer computer PKBs in the 80’s and thereafter...
    I learned to type on an IBM Selectric typewriter in the early 60's while in high school. Your father's secretary is correct... they were phenomenal typing machines... 👍

Bob
    05-28-19 03:57 PM
    Until the K3 will be here!
    Same here!!!
    05-28-19 04:10 PM
    I am VERY satisfied with Key2 and will use it for 3 years to come if possible! then move hopefully to Key3 wen it comes out!
    For me, Key2 is best smartphone there is, nearly perfect.
    05-28-19 04:15 PM
    At my current rate until a few months after the Key3 is out. Then my fiance will probably buy it for me as a present. Unless I buy it first.
    05-28-19 06:06 PM
    faster software updates are not going to help bbmo. I know the 1000 people on cb care about this but the population at large doesnt and frankly I dont think massive amounts of zero day exploits are fixed with every patch. do phones need updates? yes. are monthly updates necessary or important to anyone but the small percentage of nerds who know what that means... no? bbmo needs to sell more devices. clearly thats not simple as we are pondering the 3rd or 4th demise of the entire brand. I really hope there is a key3. I just love this form factor and the keyboard. im nervous my key2 is the last BlackBerry ill be able to get. id honestly give up the BlackBerry software. if this all goes caput I really hope someone licences the keyboard and keeps it alive for a niche segment.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-28-19 10:09 PM
    As soon as I can buy one that works on Verizon. Preferably the Atomic Red KEY² !
    05-28-19 10:16 PM
    Actually, as we're no longer in Android 4 era, a lot of pieces from the Android stack, shared with other Linux-based systems, are considered 'stable' and security flaws found in them are emitted swiftly by the community. They do require integration testing and, unless you want to beta tester, delay is a Good Thing. Of course, the shorter it is the better. If you update too often you may end up annoying your user base, too. Finding the right cadence is hard.

Also, unless a major security breach is found, most of the security issues are usually non-trivial to exploit. I'm not saying it won't happen, as zero risk doesn't exist, but if you stay on the mainstream apps stream, have safe browsing habits, use DTEK and don't install unsigned apps - unless you personally trust the provider - your device is safe enough with the current cadence.

Finally, security science is usually more thorough on 'previous release' than on 'current release' . Take BB10.3.3 for example, which took forever to finish the thorough security examination and certification process required by canadian government. In the rest of the Linux world, the most secure streams are the 'stable' or LTS streams, not the -latest, or rolling updates, streams.

That said, I'm also eagerly waiting the Pie upgrade. For gestures, not security updates! I expect it to be rolled out after TCL release their next phone using BlackBerry Android.

But I'm not holding my breath ;-)
    05-29-19 08:17 AM
    Which it does.

Moreover, settling for Oreo after this long is defeatist Kool Aid drinking, especially given the premiums that TCL charge.
    I honestly wouldn't care if I was still on Nougat. I'm not saying that some of the improvements aren't real or valuable, but none of them would really change the value or function of the phone for me, and features and improvements for their own sake are for tech fetishists, not working stiffs like me.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-29-19 08:36 AM
    I honestly wouldn't care if I was still on Nougat. I'm not saying that some of the improvements aren't real or valuable, but none of them would really change the value or function of the phone for me, and features and improvements for their own sake are for tech fetishists, not working stiffs like me.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Well there would be a few advantages to that...full text and call integration with Hub with the factory version of the apps, and full control over LED's.
    05-29-19 10:47 AM
    I'm curious how long people will be keeping this keyboard phone?
    Until my Planet Computers Cosmo Communicator arrives (July or August).
    05-29-19 11:58 AM
    I learned to type on an IBM Selectric typewriter in the early 60's while in high school. Your father's secretary is correct... they were phenomenal typing machines... ������

Bob
    I did the same in the 80's.... Took typing to go along with the computer classes the were offiering. But still an IBM Selectric (might have been a II)
    05-29-19 12:05 PM
    I did the same in the 80's.... Took typing to go along with the computer classes the were offiering. But still an IBM Selectric (might have been a II)
    Unfortunately, or better yet fortunately, we didn't have computers in the early 60's.

Bob
    05-29-19 12:38 PM
    Until it stops receiving security updates.

 BlackBerry | Q10
    This makes the most sense for me. Probably shorty after the security updates stop.
    05-29-19 12:50 PM
    OP: the day they bring out a Q10 form factor Key3.
    DWonder likes this.
    05-29-19 06:39 PM
    considering I have the red edition as well as the black version... basically until both are not functioning as needed. If my passport was still relevant I would still be using it. If only BlackBerry had kept up with even moderate updates the software.... best device ever :-/
    05-29-19 07:41 PM
    Until my Planet Computers Cosmo Communicator arrives (July or August).
    Or whenever it shows up..... You'll get it before the Evolve X is about the best we know
    the_boon likes this.
    05-29-19 07:44 PM
    just upgraded from KEYone to KEY2 and zero complains, zero issues. reading all the negatives above just make me think that we are talking about different phones
    TCM01 likes this.
    05-29-19 09:04 PM
    Or whenever it shows up..... You'll get it before the Evolve X is about the best we know
    Their factory has just placed orders for all of the parts needed for the 2500 devices that were pre-ordered so far (including mine), so...
    05-29-19 10:12 PM
119 12345