I'm curious how long people will be keeping this keyboard phone? I have tended to replace my phone -- all BlackBerrys -- as soon as the next device came along. I look somewhat longingly at some of the larger phones out there.

It seems the BlackBerry phone brand may have seen its last days. I think I'll be keeping this phone a while yet but I'm not looking forward to a change of allegiance.
    05-26-19 10:37 PM
    Untill the next good phone comes out.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-26-19 10:39 PM
    Until it stops receiving security updates.

 BlackBerry | Q10
    05-26-19 10:55 PM
    Already sold mine
    05-26-19 11:18 PM
    Until the K3 will be here!
    05-27-19 12:09 AM
    Until it stops receiving security updates.

 BlackBerry | Q10
    Which had me thinking...could that possibly be TCL device roadmap timeline from now on?
    05-27-19 12:31 AM
    Just got my Key2 Red Edition. Upgraded from KeyOne Black Edition 4/64.

This phone is amazing, I can see at least two years with it.

Then I retire.
    jamesharmeling and crusted like this.
    05-27-19 12:47 AM
    Just got my Key2 Red Edition. Upgraded from KeyOne Black Edition 4/64.

This phone is amazing, I can see at least two years with it.

Then I retire.
    That's awesome, and congrats slick looking phone and you will enjoy it for sure.
    05-27-19 01:10 AM
    This week actually. Listed it for sale. Tired of the slow major software updates. No reason it shouldn't be on Pie.
    05-27-19 01:34 AM
    This week actually. Listed it for sale. Tired of the slow major software updates. No reason it shouldn't be on Pie.
    And why do you think it should or NEEDS to be on Pie? What's wrong with Oreo? It's does a lot already.
    RWIndiana and SoundChaser007 like this.
    05-27-19 03:26 AM
    Only got the K2 in March so will be holding on to this for as long as possible before I will have to change it even if the k3 does appear. I have always held on to a device for about two years generally depending on how it behaves.
    Andrew Poderis likes this.
    05-27-19 05:00 AM
    And why do you think it should or NEEDS to be on Pie? What's wrong with Oreo? It's does a lot already.
    Because the device is $700+ and should be supported. You can't claim secure device when your software is out of date.

BlackBerry/TCL also has poor quality control in manufacturing.
    Andrew Poderis likes this.
    05-27-19 06:22 AM
    Because the device is $700+ and should be supported. You can't claim secure device when your software is out of date.

BlackBerry/TCL also has poor quality control in manufacturing.
    It is supported and gets monthly security patches on Oreo. What does Pie do that you absolutely must have?

 BlackBerry | Q10
    05-27-19 07:32 AM
    It is supported and gets monthly security patches on Oreo. What does Pie do that you absolutely must have?

 BlackBerry | Q10
    How about enhanced security improvements?
    05-27-19 07:50 AM
    How about enhanced security improvements?
    Which it does.

Moreover, settling for Oreo after this long is defeatist Kool Aid drinking, especially given the premiums that TCL charge.
    05-27-19 08:00 AM
    Which it does.

Moreover, settling for Oreo after this long is defeatist Kool Aid drinking, especially given the premiums that TCL charge.
    Unfortunately we don't have any choice but to settle for Oreo as for some inexplicable reason BlackBerry Mobile hasn't/won't release Pie. We have no power to force BlackBerry Mobile to push Pie. They control our future with any an all updates, software issue fixes too, and to date they have been less than impressive.

For those of us who remain loyal and yes, drink the BlackBerry Kool Aid, this is our unfortunate circumstance. Yes, if we want timely updates and software fixes we have a number of options to consider for a smartphone device. Unfortunately, for those of us who prefer a physical keyboard smartphone this this is the world we are left to live in... 😰

Bob
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    05-27-19 10:29 AM
    Unfortunately we don't have any choice but to settle for Oreo as for some inexplicable reason BlackBerry Mobile hasn't/won't release Pie. We have no power to force BlackBerry Mobile to push Pie. They control our future with any an all updates, software issue fixes too, and to date they have been less than impressive.

For those of us who remain loyal and yes, drink the BlackBerry Kool Aid, this is our unfortunate circumstance. Yes, if we want timely updates and software fixes we have a number of options to consider for a smartphone device. Unfortunately, for those of us who prefer a physical keyboard smartphone this this is the world we are left to live in...

Bob
    That is a true quandary and why I don’t understand why some people try to make excuses. It is what it is but there are very real reasons why not to use a Key device (and reasons to use one).
    People have to make up their own minds which route to take.
    05-27-19 10:41 AM
    My contract is up in a year so I will change phones then. I sure hope a new blackberry comes out by then. Hopefully it is something different than my key2 like a slider perhaps. but who knows?
    05-27-19 10:41 AM
    That is a true quandary and why I don’t understand why some people try to make excuses. It is what it is but there are very real reasons why not to use a Key device (and reasons to use one).
    People have to make up their own minds which route to take.
    I for one am not making excuses for the poor support we get from BlackBerry Mobile for our KEY devices. I am somewhat vocal of my dissatisfaction with how BlackBerry Mobile functions in all areas. They are most definitely giving me good reason to abandon the brand... their lack of being forthcoming in all areas of support is most definitely unlike other smartphone manufacturers.

I find it absolutely shameful of how BlackBerry Mobile has by their own doing run down the BlackBerry brand.

Bob
    05-27-19 11:50 AM
    I for one am not making excuses for the poor support we get from BlackBerry Mobile for our KEY devices. I am somewhat vocal of my dissatisfaction with how BlackBerry Mobile functions in all areas. They are most definitely giving me good reason to abandon the brand... their lack of being forthcoming in all areas of support is most definitely unlike other smartphone manufacturers.

I find it absolutely shameful of how BlackBerry Mobile has by their own doing run down the BlackBerry brand.

Bob
    I was speaking of other people who say things like “why do we need Pie” or other such comments.

As far as your comment about them running down the brand, that happened quite a few years ago and they have never recovered.
    anon(10573286) likes this.
    05-27-19 12:11 PM
    If you can live without a PKB, there's not much else compelling to stay with BlackBerry.

If you type on your phone a lot and need the PKB, Pie is not a worthy tradeoff right now.

I got a Pie upgrade on my Galaxy Tab S4 and it now has lag and stutter, so there's that as well.
    05-27-19 12:20 PM

As far as your comment about them running down the brand, that happened quite a few years ago and they have never recovered.
    Unfortunately this is all too true... BlackBerry didn't do us any favors with the PRIV which certainly tarnished the brand. Only to have continued being run down by BlackBerry Mobile who might ultimately finish off the BlackBerry brand.

Bob
    05-27-19 12:21 PM

Bob
    You're good up to last part of the last sentence. Even to most of us here on CB, the brand reputation has been hollow since the introduction of BB10 and it's subsequent failures. BBMo at this point hasn't failed in the rebuilding of the brand either. I believe that BlackBerry transferred all the negative perceptions to BBMo simply by licensing the name and BBMo, less the other licensees, understood that.

The reason the brand and BBMo struggles is that it's paying for almost worthless positive brand recognition. It's literally paying for nostalgia in most prospective customers' minds. The devices we all use are looked at from a successful 2003-2008 image that didn't keep up from 2008-2013 and in 2013 failed epically.

From 2013-2018 the brand hasn't been able to move past the PKB image and made little progress with former users beyond some nostalgia. Not excusing the behavior of BBMo in the recent efforts. It's the same behavior we saw from 2013-2016 with Chen, purely survival.

Chen used BlackBerry mobile division to not panic the stakeholders of BlackBerry during transition from mobile devices. Licensing the BlackBerry mobile division to licensees such as TCL with creation of BlackBerry Mobile then allowed different entity to use the BlackBerry name to further it's own larger cause. TCL wanted to avoid the negative perceptions of it's fellow Nation-State OEMs by licensing a Western brand with carrier relationships.

The brand was supported with BB first and then with TCL second as sink or swim. Neither party will put in a $1 without getting back $1.25 probability. For those of us fans that buy the BBMo hardware, we have to have realistic expectations. BlackBerry (the brand) has cheated death, however the reasons leading to deathbed haven't changed.
    TgeekB, the_boon, crusted and 1 others like this.
    05-27-19 12:23 PM
    You're good up to last part of the last sentence. Even to most of us here on CB, the brand reputation has been hollow since the introduction of BB10 and it's subsequent failures. BBMo at this point hasn't failed in the rebuilding of the brand either. I believe that BlackBerry transferred all the negative perceptions to BBMo simply by licensing the name and BBMo, less the other licensees, understood that.

The reason the brand and BBMo struggles is that it's paying for almost worthless positive brand recognition. It's literally paying for nostalgia in most prospective customers' minds. The devices we all use are looked at from a successful 2003-2008 image that didn't keep up from 2008-2013 and in 2013 failed epically.

From 2013-2018 the brand hasn't been able to move past the PKB image and made little progress with former users beyond some nostalgia. Not excusing the behavior of BBMo in the recent efforts. It's the same behavior we saw from 2013-2016 with Chen, purely survival.

Chen used BlackBerry mobile division to not panic the stakeholders of BlackBerry during transition from mobile devices. Licensing the BlackBerry mobile division to licensees such as TCL with creation of BlackBerry Mobile then allowed different entity to use the BlackBerry name to further it's own larger cause. TCL wanted to avoid the negative perceptions of it's fellow Nation-State OEMs by licensing a Western brand with carrier relationships.

The brand was supported with BB first and then with TCL second as sink or swim. Neither party will put in a $1 without getting back $1.25 probability. For those of us fans that buy the BBMo hardware, we have to have realistic expectations. BlackBerry (the brand) has cheated death, however the reasons leading to deathbed haven't changed.
    I will get back to you on this Chuck... having way too much fun at my Annual Smokefest and Munchies Extravaganza... 😁

Bob
    05-27-19 12:48 PM
    I will get back to you on this Chuck... having way too much fun at my Annual Smokefest and Munchies Extravaganza... 😁

Bob
    Say hi to all the BBMo and CB staff for me ;-)
    05-27-19 01:13 PM
119 123 ...