I also have activesync to our corporate Office 365 domain. Contact name shows up in all cases. Have never once had a problem. Personal contacts synced separately to Google also show up without issue regardless of how the call was initiated. Manual dial, from contacts search in phone app, or incoming calls. I don't see how a carrier could mess that part up anyway - as long as it passes caller id to the phone, it is all local on the phone what is being looked up and where.

As mentioned, the only issue I do have is accessing the "additional settings" area. I get an error going to that screen. Not sure what you mean by full set of options. On my AT&T SIM the only thing in this menu is the same thing that is there with Verizon - a single option for caller ID. Just on the AT&T sim I could adjust the caller ID and on the Verizon sim I get an error.
    There's got to be more going on than what we've addressed thus far.

I think the carrier server-side settings do have to be involved, at least in my case, and I'll tell you why. A BB tech suggested I go into my contacts (which I did on the phone - never tried it online) and add +1 ahead of any contact's phone number, save it, and then call it. And that worked! And the BB tech explained it by saying the carrier must have "Assisted dialing" enabled at the server by default, which helps with international calls, but cares if that +1 is there or not.

And on my Samsung S9 running Android 9 going into "Phone > Settings > Calls > Additional settings" there are plenty of options in there, one of which is indeed "Assisted dialing" -- which I'm very surprised you don't see with your AT&T SIM. But I don't think the SIM changes things to that extent, does it? Interesting you're switching SIMs between carriers. That combined with some Google contacts syncing, well, I just think there's more going on in why you're showing caller ID so consistently.

I do not see it being the phone in my case. It was a brand new phone out of the box, and I was exhaustive in talking it through with senior tech support at BB and VZW. I would love to have seen it be possible but I'm still 100% convinced it simply is not doable.

I don't question that you're getting what you are, but without AT&T and/or Google contacts being involved, with just a pure activation on VZW, I do not see the Key2 providing caller ID information for contacts that the user dials from their phone.

Or, well, maybe it's that your ActiveSync is going to an Office 365 account and not necessarily an "Exchange" account? Or the fact that it's a "corporate" and not "personal" VZW account/service?

I wish I knew. I'd love to make the Key2 work on VZW with my Exchange ActiveSync accounts with my personal VZW account.

I'm quite sure that with my setup it can't be done. Maybe with a Key3 if VZW approves it, but I'm sure I cannot make the Key2 work.
    12-06-19 04:21 PM
    ...I do not see the Key2 providing caller ID information for contacts that the user dials from their phone.
    Well, it certainly isn't showing on screen because the carrier sent the name back on an outbound call. If the phone didn't match it up in your contacts area and display it where do you think it comes from?

I really think whoever gave you the assisted dialing answer gave you a half truth. There are posts that there appears to be no way to turn off assisted dialing on this phone or the KeyOne. That is not a carrier specific (Verizon) problem. However, for most people that doesn't really cause a problem. I certainly have never had the presence of the +1 on any carrier have any effect on the contact name showing up.

Edited to add: I added a +1 to one of my contacts and it still showed caller ID when I placed the call, but I did get a verizon message saying the call could not be completed. This is consistent with other complaints about the KeyOne / Key2 and assisted dialing being permanently on, with the +1 being sent twice if you have it in the contact. Separate from a name display info.
    12-06-19 04:39 PM
    Well, it certainly isn't showing on screen because the carrier sent the name back on an outbound call. If the phone didn't match it up in your contacts area and display it where do you think it comes from?

I really think whoever gave you the assisted dialing answer gave you a half truth. There are posts that there appears to be no way to turn off assisted dialing on this phone or the KeyOne. That is not a carrier specific (Verizon) problem. However, for most people that doesn't really cause a problem. I certainly have never had the presence of the +1 on any carrier have any effect on the contact name showing up.

Edited to add: I added a +1 to one of my contacts and it still showed caller ID when I placed the call, but I did get a verizon message saying the call could not be completed. This is consistent with other complaints about the KeyOne / Key2 and assisted dialing being permanently on, with the +1 being sent twice if you have it in the contact. Separate from a name display info.
    What I was saying is that it showed Caller ID if it was an "incoming" call, in some cases. That's normal -- often callers who are not in my contacts call me and I see caller ID. And once it showed it due to an incoming call, it showed it on subsequent outgoing calls.

I'm a bit confused by the fact that you have only the one "Caller ID" option in "Phone > Settings > Calls > Additional settings" even when you're on AT&T (I have yet to wrap my mind around what the phone is thinking when you switch SIMS/carriers), since my Samsung S9 on Pie has a full screenful of options in there if not more. And by the fact that the BB tech told me adding the +1 would make it show the names and sure enough it did -- but why did it?

The phone is actually going to be in my hands again shortly -- I went to return it to the authorized retailer I bought it from, GoTalk, and they refused to do anything to reset it to factory defaults when I sent it in with my password still on it (I forgot to do a wipe and knew BB would just return it to defaults, but they didn't send it to BB and once I sent a code to wipe it through Exchange OWA and sent them my swipe pattern they were predictably disagreeable and said "the process to send it back to me to wipe it myself was already started" even though I know it will be some time before they get it sent back to me -- all to delay refunding me; they've consistently been the most disreputable company to deal with in my experience and it's amazing BB allowed them to be the one authorized retailer to sell out the remaining Key2's).

When I get it back, I'm considering possibly opening an AT&T account for it, even though my primary, secondary, and tablet devices have been on VZW for twenty years (I'm not ready to change my primary to AT&T to try to the Key2 and see if it works okay). It would be my secondary/backup/alternate/emergency phone. I don't know if I'm going to try that or not -- it will be a bit inconvenient having two carriers (though obviously you find it acceptable so I guess it's not so bad). But from what you wrote it seems it's still not really all that smooth in having "all" functionality work properly even on AT&T.

I'm still trying to get used to all glass (with a Samsung S9) as my primary device for the first time in my life.

Can you say "typos"?
    Last edited by classact; 12-07-19 at 03:01 PM.
    12-07-19 09:39 AM
    What I was saying is that it showed Caller ID if it was an "incoming" call, in some cases. That's normal -- often callers who are not in my contacts call me and I see caller ID. And once it showed it due to an incoming call, it showed it on subsequent outgoing calls.

I'm a bit confused by the fact that you have only the one "Caller ID" option in "Phone > Settings > Calls > Additional settings" even when you're on AT&T (I have yet to wrap my mind around what the phone is thinking when you switch SIMS/carriers), since my Samsung S9 on Pie has a full screenful of options in there if not more. And by the fact that the BB tech told me adding the +1 would make it show the names and sure enough it did -- but why did it?

The phone is actually going to be in my hands again shortly -- I went to return it to the authorized retailer I bought it from, GoTalk, and they refused to do anything to reset it to factory defaults when I sent it in with my password still on it (I forgot to do a wipe and knew BB would just return it to defaults, but they didn't send it to BB and once I sent a code to wipe it through Exchange OWA and sent them my swipe pattern they were predictably disagreeable and said "the process to send it back to me to wipe it myself was already started" even though I know it will be some time before they get it sent back to me -- all to delay refunding me; they've consistently been the most disreputable company to deal with in my experience and it's amazing BB allowed them to be the one authorized retailer to sell out the remaining Key2's).

When I get it back, I'm considering possibly opening an AT&T account for it, even though my primary, secondary, and tablet devices have been on VZW for twenty years (I'm not ready to change my primary to AT&T to try to the Key2 and see if it works okay). It would be my secondary/backup/alternate/emergency phone. I don't know if I'm going to try that or not -- it will be a bit inconvenient having two carriers (though obviously you find it acceptable so I guess it's not so bad). But from what you wrote it seems it's still not really all that smooth in having "all" functionality work properly even on AT&T.

I'm still trying to get used to all glass (with a Samsung S9) as my primary device for the first time in my life.

Can you say "typos?"
    When you have zero authorized retailers left and GoTalk steps forward to move remaining inventory, then I’m not sure BBMo had much leverage in the negotiations...
    12-07-19 10:33 AM
    When you have zero authorized retailers left and GoTalk steps forward to move remaining inventory, then I’m not sure BBMo had much leverage in the negotiations...
    Unfortunately, that's right.
    12-07-19 11:05 AM

Can you say "typos?"
    I feel your pain... 😰 Despite some of the annoying issues with the PKB on the KEY2, I would rather deal with them than consider surrendering to a slab device and dealing with typing on glass.

Despite the hiccups of the PKB the KEY2 is a fantastic device... 👍

Bob
    12-07-19 02:55 PM
    It turns out GoTalk did return it to me as soon as they said they were sending it back. I received it this afternoon (after my prior post), via Prioirty Mail.
    12-07-19 02:58 PM
    Well, I got the Key2 back from GoTalk so I can wipe it and return it to them for my refund, so while it's in my hands I tried it on a new AT&T wireless postpaid account I just obtained with a new number (so I'm not porting from my Verizon just yet). All seems to be working except, lo and behold, "Phone > Settings > Calls > Additional settings" gives me the same error message "Network or SIM card error!" But in this case, unlike with VZW, after I hit OK it does take me into the module. Once in, the two choices are for Caller ID (whether my outgoing calls show my number), which seems to take and keep the choice I make, and Call Waiting (to beep me when a call comes in when I'm on a call) -- and the default shows it as off and when I turn it on it won't take and is still set to off when I go back in, yet the feature is working properly in spite of that, meaning I do get the call-waiting beep when a second call comes in and I can answer it just fine, with the options then to merge or swap calls.

What's up with this weird behavior in that module, I wonder? Though now this is an AT&T issue, so I guess I should start a new thread to ask that.
    12-08-19 12:08 PM
    Well, I got the Key2 back from GoTalk so I can wipe it and return it to them for my refund, so while it's in my hands I tried it on a new AT&T wireless postpaid account I just obtained with a new number (so I'm not porting from my Verizon just yet). All seems to be working except, lo and behold, "Phone > Settings > Calls > Additional settings" gives me the same error message "Network or SIM card error!" But in this case, unlike with VZW, after I hit OK it does take me into the module. Once in, the two choices are for Caller ID (whether my outgoing calls show my number), which seems to take and keep the choice I make, and Call Waiting (to beep me when a call comes in when I'm on a call) -- and the default shows it as off and when I turn it on it won't take and is still set to off when I go back in, yet the feature is working properly in spite of that, meaning I do get the call-waiting beep when a second call comes in and I can answer it just fine, with the options then to merge or swap calls.

What's up with this weird behavior in that module, I wonder? Though now this is an AT&T issue, so I guess I should start a new thread to ask that.
    Saw your other thread. Good luck.
    12-08-19 04:07 PM
    And on my Samsung S9 running Android 9 going into "Phone > Settings > Calls > Additional settings" there are plenty of options in there, one of which is indeed "Assisted dialing" -- which I'm very surprised you don't see with your AT&T SIM.
    Additional data point - I have a Key2 LE in my hands. Says it is Verizon compatible right on the box. Same single option in the additional settings menu and the same error message when trying to open it. So at this point my Key2 works exactly the same as a "supported" Key2LE.

Additional data point 2: I have a Consumer Cellular (AT&T) SIM in slot 2, and it has Caller ID and Call Waiting as the only two options - they do both work. Nothing about any assisted dialing. I'm using this Key2 as a dual-SIM tester because I would like to compare AT&T coverage vs Verizon coverage when Verizon is LTE only. I go to a lot of places in the boonies for work. Will be interesting to see both signal strengths. Consumer Cellular is nice because it not only uses AT&T towers but uses the full AT&T domestic roaming network (unlike Cricket or any other MVNO's I'm aware of).
    12-12-19 08:17 PM
85 ... 234