UPDATE: Since I originally began this thread, I have found that it does not work "perfectly" at all. After countless dozens of hours lost over weeks and talking to numerous senior techs as BlackBerry and Verizon, I finally returned the Key2 and abandoned the mission after determining conclusively it cannot be done! It will work "somewhat" but not nearly to the level of proper functionality a serious user who cares about a BlackBerry in the first place would need. Some normal features, like seeing names in call and text activity and history instead of just numbers, simply cannot be enabled. See the rest of this thread.

Original post:

There is zero question the Key2 will work perfectly fine on Verizon once it's done correctly. But it has to be done correctly.

One way is that the SIM has to be activated on a Verizon branded phone or Verizon-approved model of phone that's got no CDMA -- which tells the system to provision it as CDMA-less. Then move the SIM into the Key2.

In my case, since I had no such phone to go with, I gave a huge tip to a sales rep at the Verizon store for his time and we used the display model of the Samsung A10e, which a Verizon tech support rep suggested we do. That worked out fine. Obviously, a Key2 LE would suffice as well.

That was it. The phone works perfectly fine in all regards!

Then, separately, the tech support rep submitted the form to have my IMEI listed as approved, which the tech support supervisor told me is not essential (as demonstrated by the fact that it already works and it will take days for that form to go through) but will be necessary if I ever want to activate a new SIM in the future without using a different phone to activate it. This, of course, suggests that this step alone is all that's needed, without using another phone. The difference here is that the tech support supervisor told me this process can take three to five business days, while the use of anohter phone was instant. This listing of the IMEI will result in the Key2 showing as the active device on the account for this number when I log in online, once it's finalized.

As to how sure it is that this is a reliable procedure, the following people told me in the past week that the Key2 will work fine on Verizon when done right: tech at BlackBerry Mobile ("Most of the techs here know how to get it done"; a few tier-2 techs at Verizon; and a couple of supervisors in tier-2 tech support at Verizon. And of course I had this successful experience myself.

There are still people saying it won't work so don't believe them if you come across that. Go Talk, the current authorized retailer, insisted it definitely will not work. A couple people at BB and VZW said they weren't sure or that it probably wouldn't. So, just know that as long as it's done right it certainly will work.

One VZW tech support supervisor even went online with me last week and compared the bands of the Key2 LE with the Key2 on the BlackBerry Mobile website in the Specifications listings, and when she saw they're both identical she said that that was the end of that question -- but she also said using a different phone that's approved and is CDMA-less is an important step to avoid complications, though those complications seem to be nothing more than submitting the form to have the IMEI listed, which the other tech support supervisor I spoke with said is a very standard process that should go just fine.

By the way, in the US there's only one model to choose from, which is the only one made for "NA" or "North America" -- BBF100-2.
    Last edited by classact; 11-14-19 at 02:04 AM.
    11-04-19 03:56 AM
    Awesome post, clearly written. It's a shame that wasn't all cleared up months ago!

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-04-19 07:20 AM
    So I am guessing you couldn't switch your SIM between phones with CDMA like my Verizon PRIV and Classic, because then maybe it wouldn't work with the Key2 anymore.
    11-04-19 10:29 AM
    So I am guessing you couldn't switch your SIM between phones with CDMA like my Verizon PRIV and Classic, because then maybe it wouldn't work with the Key2 anymore.
    That's right.

The SIM has to be setup to work CDMA-less.
    Sporkguy3 likes this.
    11-04-19 10:48 AM
    That's right.

The SIM has to be setup to work CDMA-less.
    That's not correct. You can go from CDMA-less device to official Verizon device and back again with no problem. The CDMA-less feature is an account feature.
    11-04-19 01:29 PM
    That's not correct. You can go from CDMA-less device to official Verizon device and back again with no problem. The CDMA-less feature is an account feature.
    You can't take a SIM from a CDMA device without having it re-provisioned.
    Last edited by conite; 11-04-19 at 05:31 PM.
    11-04-19 02:48 PM
    You can take a SIM from a CDMA device without having it re-provisioned.
    Okay, we just got into unclear territory here. A few things need to be clarified or people are going to end up confused all over again.

First of all, conite, you said "The SIM has to be setup to work CDMA-less." And I agree, based on my research and experience.

Then, robnhl, you said a SIM can go from a CDMA-less device to official Verizon and back. I have not tried that and I wouldn't have any ability to confirm it or any reason to question it since, as you also said, "The CDMA-less feature is an account feature" and that certainly is a fact based on my research and experience.

So, up to that point, we're all on the page (except, again, I can't confirm moving a SIM from CDMA-less to a CDMA phone and back).

But then, conite, you said "You can take a SIM from a CDMA device without having it re-provisioned" -- and I think that's where the potential for a lot of confusion exists.

I don't know if you were replying strictly to robnhl's comment that the SIM can go from a CDMA-less device (meaning the CDMA-less feature has already been enabled on the account) to a CDMA phone and back without being re-provisions, which I have no way to confirm and no reason to question; OR if you were suggesting that just taking a SIM normal CDMA device and putting it into a CDMA-less device like the Key2 will work, and if that's what you meant I have to insist that will not work unless either the device is one whose brand and model are already listed approved on the Verizon network (remember, we're talking Verizon here, or at least I have been with my long post above), or the IMEI of that device has been listed as okay and had the CDMA-less feature added to the account because a VZW tech support rep submitted the form and a few days later it got added as a feature, or of course the SIM was first activated in a listed CDMA-less device thus triggering the CDMA-less feature on the phone's account.

In all cases, the SIM is not the issue. Any SIM will work. What is the issue is that the phone number's account with Verizon needs to have had the CDMA-less feature enabled in order for it to work, and that seems to only happen one of those three ways:

- activated the SIM in an approved CDMA-less phone first

- had the IMEI added as approved and the CDMA-less feature added by tech support submitting the form and waiting a few days

- the phone model is already officially listed with VZW as approved for having the CDMA-less feature

(Sorry to be so redundant but I'd hate for people to still end up confused after all this effort to make things clear for others.)

I may be wrong, and perhaps in some cases with some phones just moving the SIM from a CDMA phone to the Key2 will be enough. One VZW tech support supervisor suggested to me that the system would see the Key2 is a CDMA-less phone and make the feature available right way, but that was not the case for me and frankly a different VZW tech support supervisor has told me that that would not be the case, and suggested activating the SIM in an approved CDMA-less device was the only straightforward, reliable, immediate way to get it all to work properly (since that instantly tells the system to enable the CDMA-less feature).

In my case, to be extremely clear, my SIM was originally provisioned in my Priv in order to put it into my KeyONE -- following the precise instructions of VZW senior tech support back then when the KeyONE first came out. Then, last week, I moved that SIM into my Samsung S9 and it worked fine in that phone for the couple days I used it. But then when I moved that SIM into the Key2 it absolutely would not work! I had a very advanced VZW tier 2 tech on the phone and he wrestled with it for some time and could not get that CDMA-less feature to show as available. Calls were intermittent, and text would not send or receive. He said the only two options were either for him to submit the form, or for me to go to a VZW store and activate my SIM -- the old SIM or a new SIM didn't matter -- on a phone that the VZW system has approved and that is a CDMA-less phone, which worked perfectly!

And then a VZW tech support supervisor got on the line with me to make sure all was okay, and clearly stated that those were the only two ways to make the Key2 work: activate the SIM in an approved CDMA-less phone or have my IMEI listed with the form that takes a few days, and then he suggested that even though I was working fine because of the activation in an approved CDMA-less phone I should still have the IMEI added when the form completes in a few days so I don't have that same challenge in the future if I ever want to get a new SIM.

Maybe in the future VZW will make this process a lot easier for everyone involved and none of the above will any longer be relevant. I expect that will be the case since this amount of work and confusion is just crazy and doesn't serve any purposes for anyone. Maybe BlackBerry wanted it this way so the sales of the Key2 LE through the corporate division aren't impeded? I don't know. I do know that one of the VZW tech support supervisors who helped me with all this, and was the first who insisted it definitely will work if I provision the SIM in an approved device first, also told me she's seeing more and more non-Verizon CDMA-less phones being activated on their network just fine (she even commented that some are rather obscure brands or models). I'm guessing that sooner or later VZW will make it easy for a tech support rep to just add the IMEI and CDMA-less feature on the fly, or the system will just do it automatically.

For now, though, we have this forum.
    11-04-19 04:23 PM
    But then, conite, you said "You can take a SIM from a CDMA device without having it re-provisioned" .
    * can't. Typo.
    11-04-19 05:34 PM
    Here is my question to both of you then. If I first have Verizon get my key2 working on the network by reprovisioning it as cdma less and getting the feature added to the account, could I then switch the sim card into my other verizon phones, and then back into the key2 without having an issue with the phone working?
    11-04-19 09:11 PM
    Here is my question to both of you then. If I first have Verizon get my key2 working on the network by reprovisioning it as cdma less and getting the feature added to the account, could I then switch the sim card into my other verizon phones, and then back into the key2 without having an issue with the phone working?
    As long as all of your devices are CDMA-less.
    11-04-19 09:33 PM
    I have no idea. I never asked, have never tried it, have no intention of trying it (read "I have no intention of risking it"), and if I had to guess I would guess it would probably fail to work. In saying all that, I'm assumng you're thinking of moving it into CDMA phones that are listed as approved CDMA devices in the Verizon system when you say "switch the sim card into my other verizon phones" and that, I believe, would be a no-no.

My expectation is that, as conite said, it should be fine "as long as all of your devices are CDMA-less." It seems he and I are saying the same thing, then, which is that it will not be okay if one of those phones is a CDMA phone.
    11-05-19 12:39 AM
    That is not my experience. I had CDMA-less feature added to my line/account. I have since moved a SIM between devices like Verizon iPhone 7, KEY2, Verizon iPhone SE, Verizon LG G8, BLU VIVO XI+, and OnePlus 7 Pro with no issues making/receiving calls or sending/receiving texts or using data. I have never asked to have CDMA-less reprovisioned for my line/account since initially getting it set up. I have never used the online tool to activate any devices. Simply swap SIMs.

You'll note that some of those have CDMA radios (iPhones), one does not but is Verizon specific (G8), some are not Verizon specific but are Verizon certified (OnePlus 7 Pro, BLU VIVO XI+), and one has neither CDMA radios nor is Verizon certified (KEY2).

Your experience may vary but I can say that I have had zero problems. And if I do somehow lose the CDMA-less feature in the future a simple call to customer support can restore it so I don't see how it is too much of a concern.
    Last edited by robnhl; 11-05-19 at 08:17 AM. Reason: grammar
    11-05-19 08:14 AM
    I have a similar question but I'm a bit confused by the discussion here.

I frequently travel through rural areas where my Verizon KeyOne signal briefly drops to 3G or 1X (aka CDMA). I'm interested in trying the Key2 on Verizon, but I'm worried about losing coverage in those areas, especially now that Verizon is not shutting down its CDMA network as planned.

My question: If I get the Key2 working on Verizon with the CDMAless provisioning but decide to switch back to my KeyOne, will my KeyOne still work with 3G and 1X networks? Or does the CDMAless feature disable your number from using those networks?
    11-05-19 11:57 AM
    First off - thank you for the post. This is awesome. I was able to easily activate my Key2 BBF100-2 at the Verizon store tonight using these instructions!

Second - for those who care, I was able to activate my business partner's GSM Priv STV100-1. Went through the same procedure. It appeared not to work. Store was closing and I said, "that's ok - I'm gonna take it home and fiddle with it." When it was not working, when I went to Settings --> Advanced Calling it said I didn't have advanced calling. Then I went to:

*#*#4636#*#*

Then I turned on the VOLTE PROVISIONED FLAG, put the phone in airplane mode, took it out of airplane mode, and went back to settings --> Advanced calling and "Activate Advanced Calling" was grayed out and it said "Service upgraded to HD Voice and Video calling". But more importantly, calls now work on the Priv too! So thanks x2, OP!
    11-05-19 09:42 PM
    Glad to be able to help. I did notice on the Key2 that one issue exists, which led me to notice a bigger issue also existing.

The Caller ID has not been showing when I make calls from Contacts -- as it dials, while the call is active, and then in Recents and History only the phone number shows, not the name.

In making sure all permissions etc are set properly, I discovered I get an error in Phone > Settings > Calls > Additional settings.

It says: "Caller ID - Loading Settings..." Then it says "Call settings error - Network or SIM card error. Unable to load settings."

BlackBerry tech support suggested I test something: go into a contact that failed to show the name and edit the phone number by adding +1 before it, save that, and try calling them again. This time it did show the name of the contact!

He suggested it was an "assisted dialing" setting that has to be disabled so the existence of lack of the +1 won't matter.

But the problem I have is that that setting seems to reside under the "Additional settings" module that I can't access because I'm getting that error.

Both tier-2 Verizon tech support and BlackBerry tech support are "hoping" that once the form submitted by Verizon tech support a couple days ago to add my IMEI/device to the account as an approved device gets worked and finalized, that error should go away and I should be able to get into the settings module and change that one setting (or anything else I might want to change).

A Verizon tech support supervisor sent me a new SIM and said I can activate that by just phoning tech support once that form to add my IMEI has been worked and finalized, so hopefully if there's still any lingering issue with the way the current SIM was provisioned by using a Samsung A10e, that will clear that up and I'll have a fresh and proper configuration across the board.
    11-05-19 09:59 PM
    Keep us updated please. I am also getting that error going into the caller ID settings. I don't think that the rep at the store bothered to submit any form to add my IMEI anywhere. I'm going to have to fight my way though phone support on that one.
    11-05-19 10:10 PM
    Keep us updated please. I am also getting that error going into the caller ID settings. I don't think that the rep at the store bothered to submit any form to add my IMEI anywhere. I'm going to have to fight my way though phone support on that one.
    My experience has been that reps at stores are there to sell and are just doing us a favor, more or less, in helping with this process. It's tech support that submits the form. Make sure when you call customer care you immediately insist (politely of course, but firmly) on being transferred to "tier 2 tech support" (the first level you get is not really tech suport). Once you have tier-2 tech support on the phone, submitting the form should be a simple process for them that's standard procedure.
    11-05-19 10:15 PM
    FWIW: Neither of my phones has a problem with the caller ID on outgoing calls - either dialed from contacts, or if I manually type in the 10 digit number of a contact. Both cases, both phones, the contact name immediately appears when calling and appears readily in the call history. I am only interested in the inaccessible settings menu because I generally block my outbound caller ID by default because I don't want every one of my customers saving my cell phone number to circumvent the normal tech support process.
    11-05-19 10:21 PM
    More problematic - I am not able to send or receive SMS messages. I normally use Google Voice so not a total killer, but some messages (like the GV verification SMS) I would want to receive here. Are you able to send SMS via the built in messaging app on your Key2 @classact ?
    11-05-19 11:18 PM
    Are you able to send SMS via the built in messaging app on your Key2 @classact ?
    Yes. No problem.
    11-06-19 03:57 AM
    We're you able to get Visual Voice Mail working or are you stuck using dial-up VM?
    11-06-19 05:47 AM
    We're you able to get Visual Voice Mail working or are you stuck using dial-up VM?
    Never tried it. I have only used YouMail for years now.
    11-06-19 05:48 AM
    More problematic - I am not able to send or receive SMS messages. I normally use Google Voice so not a total killer, but some messages (like the GV verification SMS) I would want to receive here. Are you able to send SMS via the built in messaging app on your Key2 @classact ?
    That sounds like CDMA-less isn't active.
    11-06-19 07:06 AM
    That sounds like CDMA-less isn't active.
    Yeah - I'm beginning to think the agent didn't listen to me when I said we had to use the IMEI from an LTE-only device for this to work. Now the question is: will I be able to get this fixed on the phone or do I have to go to the store and start over....
    11-06-19 09:29 AM
    Yeah - I'm beginning to think the agent didn't listen to me when I said we had to use the IMEI from an LTE-only device for this to work. Now the question is: will I be able to get this fixed on the phone or do I have to go to the store and start over....
    You should be able to resolve on the phone. A simple way is to let the tech know you are getting a KEY 2 LE or BLU VIVO XI+ or some other CDMA-less required device and you want the feature added. It should be that simple.

They don't actually need an IMEI to add the feature. I never provided one for my personal or business lines. They can do a lookup of the phone make and then confirm that it requires CDMA-less. Don't try to convince them to add it for a KEY 2 as they very well may come back that it isn't supported (even though you know it will work). As long as you give them a supported model they should add it with no issue.
    Last edited by robnhl; 11-06-19 at 09:37 AM. Reason: additional info
    11-06-19 09:35 AM
85 123 ...