I'm just here pondering about the near future of BlackBerry Mobile.

I really hope they release a Key3, and all these "rumors" on these forums really damage the brand. I just wish BBMobile would communicate with us and tell us. The reason they aren't frightens me.. the might not be able to clear the rumors because of current negotiations with contracts etc....

But when looking back at what BBMobile has published..

The DTEK series was really refurbished Alcatel phones.

I'm not sure if BBMobile created the Aurora, Evolve, Evolve X?

And can't forget the Motion.

But those were all "filler" phones IMO. The real game changer was of course the KeyOne.

And when looking at the KeyOne, BBMobile gave us 3 variants (I think?). The Silver, Black, and Bronze.

And the Key2 in Silver, Black, and now red.
    And the LE in Slate, Champagne, and Atomic Red.

That's a total of 9 Key series phones. And this is my reasoning behind my hope in a Key3 device. Variant devices are a good sign for the company IMO. If BBMOBILE just released one or two colors and that's it then I would be more worried, but the fact that they release variants pretty consistently that makes me think we will get the Key3 in 2020.

What's your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-19 12:48 AM
    In case if Key 3 is released, I wish it will be released with a full-fledged keyboard with all possible working shortcuts. Ideally, we should be able to work on the device without touching screen
    10-11-19 12:59 AM
    Also...

CrackBerry Kevin stated that he's confident there willl be a Key3 release.

Idk how much weight that holds, but at least he believes there will be instead of not.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-19 01:00 AM
    I think you need to stock up on some nice beer while waiting for the k3. Maybe someone should start a K3 beer thread. 😎
    anon(10622733) likes this.
    10-11-19 07:34 AM
    I think you need to stock up on some nice beer while waiting for the k3. Maybe someone should start a K3 beer thread. 😎
    I don't mind the wait. I'm not jumping on the newest gadget every year... although I just bought a LE in January and love it. I'm going to use this phone until it breaks or until the Key3 is released. I might buy the Key2 is I can find any in stock next year.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-19 07:41 AM
    The Aurora is a Nubia (ZTE) with BlackBerry branding lazily slapped on, while the Evolve appears to be manufactured by CK Telecom of Shenzhen (whoever that is). The Evolve X is cancelled so ultimately nobody made it.
    10-11-19 08:12 AM
    I think you need to stock up on some nice beer while waiting for the k3. Maybe someone should start a K3 beer thread.
    I remember this thread way back. Was it for the KEY2 or the PRIV on Verizon? Had a ton of posts.
    10-11-19 08:46 AM
    Also...

CrackBerry Kevin stated that he's confident there willl be a Key3 release.

Idk how much weight that holds, but at least he believes there will be instead of not.

Posted via CB10
    Of course he will state that, his 2hole livelihood depends on folks not abandoning ship here. He's gotta keep getting that TCL/BBMobile paycheck. He wouldn't go public and say otherwise.
    10-11-19 09:43 AM
    I remember this thread way back. Was it for the KEY2 or the PRIV on Verizon? Had a ton of posts.
    I think it was for the K1. But I could be wrong 🍺
    10-11-19 01:11 PM
    Get the red edition if you can find one.
    the_boon likes this.
    10-11-19 11:32 PM
    Get the red edition if you can find one.
    Right now, if they never make any BlackBerry branded TCLs, this will be the one to have.
    And the Atomic LE, which I have, and is the far better choice price wise.
    10-12-19 02:52 AM
    Need a last hurra IMO.
    10-12-19 07:27 AM
    Need a last hurra IMO.
    That was the KEY series....
    Bob80220, JeepBB and Jonneh like this.
    10-12-19 01:57 PM
    Right now, if they never make any BlackBerry branded TCLs, this will be the one to have.
    And the Atomic LE, which I have, and is the far better choice price wise.
    How it is working the space bar in the atomic LE?
    10-12-19 04:08 PM
    Like the Pope eating spaghetti and pizza.... ;-D
    10-12-19 04:13 PM
    Price wise yes, but I would take the color, specs and metal build of key2, over it.
    10-12-19 07:26 PM
    Perfect. And it's great on the Red KEY2 also.

Which is why I no longer consider the LE the best KEYBerry you can buy, as the Red KEY2 takes first place
    10-12-19 08:09 PM
    I don't mind the wait. I'm not jumping on the newest gadget every year... although I just bought a LE in January and love it. I'm going to use this phone until it breaks or until the Key3 is released. I might buy the Key2 is I can find any in stock next year.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly I am more than happy with my key 2 right now..
    10-13-19 01:02 AM
    Spoke with a tech at BlackBerry Mobile today, who "guessed" an announcement early part of next year and a release late next year. He seemed to suggest it "is" coming and only the release date is uncertain. This tech was generally very conservative about only talking officially known information (for instance, he said the Key2 is not approved to work on VZW and that's all he can say on that subject). I took that as a very strong indication that a Key3 is coming -- in about a year.
    asiayeah likes this.
    10-24-19 10:24 PM
    Spoke with a tech at BlackBerry Mobile today, who "guessed" an announcement early part of next year and a release late next year. He seemed to suggest it "is" coming and only the release date is uncertain. This tech was generally very conservative about only talking officially known information (for instance, he said the Key2 is not approved to work on VZW and that's all he can say on that subject). I took that as a very strong indication that a Key3 is coming -- in about a year.
    No offense meant, from what perspective were you talking at this tech? Business wise, or is it just someone you know in private? Just being curious here. Is he/she a Chinese tech, or residing elsewhere?
    Because I do look forward for a KEY3 as I tend to switch to a new phone every two years. And the 'release date' you mention is about the same period that I would consider....
    Think it would be great if his/her story is true.
    10-25-19 12:39 AM
    No offense meant, from what perspective were you talking at this tech? Business wise, or is it just someone you know in private? Just being curious here. Is he/she a Chinese tech, or residing elsewhere?
    Because I do look forward for a KEY3 as I tend to switch to a new phone every two years. And the 'release date' you mention is about the same period that I would consider....
    Think it would be great if his/her story is true.
    No offense taken. I understand your wanting to be able to have hope, but not false hope.

As important as the tech is, and the nature of the talk we had, I myself am pretty experienced with tech, with Verizon, with BlackBerry, with their reputations for secrecy and unreliable rumors, and with working with mostly just very advanced techs. (Later in the day today, for instance, I wanted to check with Verizon on using the Key2 and spoke with a customer service rep, then a tier 2 tech, and then the tier 2 tech supervisor -- at length. And will now post the results, which is more than anything I've read on CB.)

My judgment is that the guy was as reliable as can be hoped for given the nature of BB and new phones way before they're released. He was American, sounded very sharp, and seemed quite on the ball. We had a good balance between formality and a candid level of rapport. For instance, when I asked about Android 9 for the Key2 he said "They said it's coming and they would know, but I have no idea when and I can't confirm it."

When I asked about a Key3, though, he was considerably less wishy-washy about it. He said "Nothing's been announced, and I can't confirm that there will be one." I said, "I understand that's what you have to say officailly, so let me just ask you what you expect if you were to just guess." He said, "If I were to guess, I don't think an announcement will occur before the end of the year. I expect an announcement will come next year, and that availability will be in about a year from now." There was no "guess" about "if" it will come.

Based on my judgment of him and of his judgment, I'd take it to the bank a Key3 is coming.

Plus, there's another factor in our favor, too, for what it's worth. Darned if there's not a phone number on the BlackBerry Mobile website for a "hotline" and it's answered all day and all evening, and it was answered really fast, and went right to "tech support," and got a sharp American guy in a couple rings, and he was right there to talk candidly with me.

That, to me, looked like a company that is all in about continuing to be selling phones for some time. And his talk with me just made me that much more confident. I'm buying a Key2 soon and looking forward to the Key3 in a year or so. I will continue to lament the passing of the BB trackpad, but at least I'm not resigning msyelf to an all-touch future quite yet.
    tubularbell and Sigewif like this.
    10-25-19 01:44 AM
    I currently have a Key One with a piece of tape holding on the lower left side of the screen. I am hopefully waiting it out for a Key 3 replacement.
    10-25-19 09:14 PM
    Based on my judgment of him and of his judgment, I'd take it to the bank a Key3 is coming.
    Monopoly bank?

Btw, the tech you spoke to would know no more about corporate strategy than the janitor.
    10-25-19 11:09 PM
    I'm just here pondering about the near future of BlackBerry Mobile.

I really hope they release a Key3, and all these "rumors" on these forums really damage the brand. I just wish BBMobile would communicate with us and tell us. The reason they aren't frightens me.. the might not be able to clear the rumors because of current negotiations with contracts etc....

But when looking back at what BBMobile has published..

The DTEK series was really refurbished Alcatel phones.

And can't forget the Motion.

But those were all "filler" phones IMO. The real game changer was of course the KeyOne.

And when looking at the KeyOne, BBMobile gave us 3 variants (I think?). The Silver, Black, and Bronze.

And the Key2 in Silver, Black, and now red.
    And the LE in Slate, Champagne, and Atomic Red.

That's a total of 9 Key series phones. And this is my reasoning behind my hope in a Key3 device. Variant devices are a good sign for the company IMO. If BBMOBILE just released one or two colors and that's it then I would be more worried, but the fact that they release variants pretty consistently that makes me think we will get the Key3 in 2020.

What's your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    In the end TCL sold about 800,000 Keyone's, KeyTwo's, Motions and LE's combined in all colors. There is no way they would even be looking at a Key3. On top of that they just started promoting their own TCL phones (no PKB).
    10-25-19 11:32 PM
    Two sharp American guys ...Eh?
    10-26-19 12:55 AM
54 123