Starting with the TCL Plex and going forward this is the kind of innovation TCL is pursuing at this point.

10-26-19 01:41 AM
    Starting with the TCL Plex and going forward this is the kind of innovation TCL is pursuing at this point.

I realize this sounds self-centered and selfish... But I would prefer to see TCL work on producing a new PKB BlackBerry device rather than a foldable device. One without a defective physical keyboard.

Bob
    anon(10387168) and the_boon like this.
    10-26-19 10:50 AM
    I realize this sounds self-centered and selfish... But I would prefer to see TCL work on producing a new PKB BlackBerry device rather than a foldable device. One without a defective physical keyboard.

Bob
    That thing is like having a hotdog size phone in your pocket! What are they thinking!
    Jonneh likes this.
    10-26-19 11:55 PM
    That thing is like having a hotdog size phone in your pocket! What are they thinking!
    Agree, it looks like it’s an inch thick!
    10-27-19 08:28 AM
    Agree, it looks like it’s an inch thick!
    That’s what she said....
    10-27-19 08:45 AM
    That’s what she said....
    10-27-19 08:45 AM
    Either way tcl can’t win won’t sell many of these if they make another bb phone won’t sell many of them either.
    10-27-19 09:04 AM

Bob
    At this point I think BBMo gave TCL enough carrier and consumer exposure that it’s primarily if not completely over for licensed hardware or software. I also suppose a gimmick device would be more for the free publicity of consumer mindshare to kickstart Plex sales.
    10-27-19 09:19 AM
    Two sharp American guys ...Eh?
    meaning Canadians.... eh?!😀
    10-27-19 12:43 PM
    meaning Canadians.... eh?!
    Talking about horses, ok ponies...In hopes of the KEY3-notable-00109.jpeg
    Jonneh likes this.
    10-29-19 06:24 PM
    Either way tcl can’t win won’t sell many of these if they make another bb phone won’t sell many of them either.
    Those have more to do with TCL Ltd Display division than with the TCL Communications phone business.

LG and Samsung pretty much own the OLED Screen market, small Chinese manufactures like BOE (who Huawei used for their FOLD) would love to be able to compete... TCL Ltd's display division has no choice but try to showcase their similar capabilities.... even if TCL Communications never really puts any effort into selling a phone using them. It will still help their sister company/division to keep it's place in the market.

But I see TCL Communications... becoming more a Foxcon than a Huawei or BKK Electronics. Much of their manufacturing has already been transferred over to other divisions or to the manufacture of devices for others companies.

The BIG manufactures are starting to apply a lot more pressure in the middle price points, The existing mid-range manufactures like Motorola, Vivo, Xiaomi, Honor and Nokia are already feeling the pressure. That will make TCL attempt to move up the ladder from entry level devices to midgrade a tough climb.
    10-31-19 09:57 AM
    FWIW, since we all know this is all still purely wildly speculative no matter who talks to who or who reads what online...

I spoke a few days ago with a "supervisor" in tech support at BlackBerry (the "hotline" number on the BB Mobile website -- man, I find it so reassuring for some reason that that number is there, it's answered really fast in my experience so far, and it has long hours.... but I digress...)...

And after a very long talk about a number of topics surrounding the Key2 and a possible Key3, her final advice to me after having told me the obligatory and probably very honest facts that she really has no idea and just hears rumors and they go in both directions about whether there will be a Key3 or even a Pie update for the Key2, was...

"I would wait and not buy a Key2 at this time. I would wait for the next model of PKB phone, whether that's a Key3 or something else."

And when I pressed her for when she "guesses" that might be, she said perhaps 3-4 months. I asked about it being six to nine months or even twelve, she said she does not think that it will be more than 3-4 months and if anything it probably won't be more than six months at most.

At that point she wasn't any more using language like "If one does come out, I expect it would be in about 3-4 months." She was using language like "I don't think it will be more than six months and I expect it will be within 3-4 months, perhaps even in January."

(FWIW, she was unsure about Pie for the Key2 but also seemed to be encouraging. Well, to a point. "In the past when there was not going to be an OS update for a phone they would tell us for sure there was not going to be one, and if they were going to say that about the Key2 they would have told us by now and they have not said anything, so I take that as a very positive indication that there will be a Pie update for the Key2.")

I then spoke to a "tech" under her (she was a supervisor in the tech support department but not an actual tech), and he pretty much echoed all of the same.

They both said they do not expect any announcements or leaks or anything much in advance of it being made available for sale -- maybe two months before it's shipping at most.

(I did buy a Key2 anyway, which gets delivered later today. I'll try it out within the GoTalkUSA 14-day return period. I already changed two days ago from my KeyONE being my main driver to making my Samsung S9, which was my alternate phone for emergencies only, into my main driver -- to see if I can adapt to an all-touch phone. So far, navigating while typing is not even close, especially mixing voice-to-text with typing. OMG!)
    11-02-19 01:33 PM
    FWIW, since we all know this is all still purely wildly speculative no matter who talks to who or who reads what online...

I spoke a few days ago with a "supervisor" in tech support at BlackBerry (the "hotline" number on the BB Mobile website -- man, I find it so reassuring for some reason that that number is there, it's answered really fast in my experience so far, and it has long hours.... but I digress...)...

And after a very long talk about a number of topics surrounding the Key2 and a possible Key3, her final advice to me after having told me the obligatory and probably very honest facts that she really has no idea and just hears rumors and they go in both directions about whether there will be a Key3 or even a Pie update for the Key2, was...

"I would wait and not buy a Key2 at this time. I would wait for the next model of PKB phone, whether that's a Key3 or something else."

And when I pressed her for when she "guesses" that might be, she said perhaps 3-4 months. I asked about it being six to nine months or even twelve, she said she does not think that it will be more than 3-4 months and if anything it probably won't be more than six months at most.

At that point she wasn't any more using language like "If one does come out, I expect it would be in about 3-4 months." She was using language like "I don't think it will be more than six months and I expect it will be within 3-4 months, perhaps even in January."

(FWIW, she was unsure about Pie for the Key2 but also seemed to be encouraging. Well, to a point. "In the past when there was not going to be an OS update for a phone they would tell us for sure there was not going to be one, and if they were going to say that about the Key2 they would have told us by now and they have not said anything, so I take that as a very positive indication that there will be a Pie update for the Key2.")

I then spoke to a "tech" under her (she was a supervisor in the tech support department but not an actual tech), and he pretty much echoed all of the same.

They both said they do not expect any announcements or leaks or anything much in advance of it being made available for sale -- maybe two months before it's shipping at most.

(I did buy a Key2 anyway, which gets delivered later today. I'll try it out within the GoTalkUSA 14-day return period. I already changed two days ago from my KeyONE being my main driver to making my Samsung S9, which was my alternate phone for emergencies only, into my main driver -- to see if I can adapt to an all-touch phone. So far, navigating while typing is not even close, especially mixing voice-to-text with typing. OMG!)
    That would be great if true, just seems like a lot of damage is being done to the brand in the meantime....

If PKB is a KEY for you... enjoy your KEY2!
    11-06-19 08:48 AM
    I spoke at length with a tech in BlackBerry tech support yesterday about a variety of things and when I asked about a possible Key3 he said, "Well, I don't know if they're going to continue with the "Key" branding or not, but I was shown a prototype in June and, well, I can't say if it had a physical keyboard or not but you can make a guess about what you think it obviously was." We had a great "rapport" and to me that was pretty clear "covert" communication, and I took to be quite encouraging.
    RWIndiana and cyberdoggie like this.
    11-06-19 03:00 PM
    I spoke at length with a tech in BlackBerry tech support yesterday about a variety of things and when I asked about a possible Key3 he said, "Well, I don't know if they're going to continue with the "Key" branding or not, but I was shown a prototype in June and, well, I can't say if it had a physical keyboard or not but you can make a guess about what you think it obviously was." We had a great "rapport" and to me that was pretty clear "covert" communication, and I took to be quite encouraging.

It could be possible and it could be possible a lot of things have changed since June.

Perhaps BlackBerry Ltd has found another partner? Perhaps redoing their fee's? It also seems a bit strange that BlackBerry Ltd Tech Support would be aware of a device prototype since that would be another company, BlackBerry Mobile employees provide the Android tech suport.

Anyhow I really hope another BlackBerry keyboard device makes its way to the market. I don't know who, what, when or what the deal is but I can't think about anything other than a physical keyboard for my phone.

Posted via CB10
    the_boon likes this.
    11-06-19 10:56 PM
    Most CSR and TSR know that keeping dreams alive, is how you manage a call successfully. There’s no penalties answering your questions how you want them answered. Chatting with you is a paid break in addition to regular breaks.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-07-19 02:18 PM
    Covert communication? Why would a CSR care what they said to you and me? They could tell you it is made of titanium and it doesn’t mean it’s true.
    11-07-19 04:20 PM
    It could be possible and it could be possible a lot of things have changed since June.

Perhaps BlackBerry Ltd has found another partner? Perhaps redoing their fee's? It also seems a bit strange that BlackBerry Ltd Tech Support would be aware of a device prototype since that would be another company, BlackBerry Mobile employees provide the Android tech suport.

Anyhow I really hope another BlackBerry keyboard device makes its way to the market. I don't know who, what, when or what the deal is but I can't think about anything other than a physical keyboard for my phone.

Posted via CB10
    Let's just hope someone, somewhere, continues to make a PKB device.

That's literally all we're asking for.
    11-07-19 08:44 PM
    Let's just hope someone, somewhere, continues to make a PKB device.

That's literally all we're asking for.
    Unihertz Titan and the horizontal slider from the other company...

You’re covered
    11-08-19 08:24 AM
    Unihertz Titan and the horizontal slider from the other company...

You’re covered
    Unless... I want a keyboard phone that weighs under 200g and that is either a portrait slider or something that isn't 1:1...

I supported the Titan but it's harder to me to justify spending the $699 for the Pro 1 which we have no idea how it's gonna feel typing on it.

I'm mostly concerned about the thumb travel on such a long device, I feel like reaching for the middle keys will not be comfortable.
    The thing is also a whopping 50g heavier than the Priv which was already considered heavy at 192g.
    It's even heavier than the iSlab 11 Pro Max which is probably THE heaviest mainstream phone to date.

At the same time, the F(x) team has GOT to have thought of this.
    11-08-19 09:38 AM
    Unless... I want a keyboard phone that weighs under 200g and that is either a portrait slider or something that isn't 1:1...

I supported the Titan but it's harder to me to justify spending the $699 for the Pro 1 which we have no idea how it's gonna feel typing on it.

I'm mostly concerned about the thumb travel on such a long device, I feel like reaching for the middle keys will not be comfortable.
    The thing is also a whopping 50g heavier than the Priv which was already considered heavy at 192g.
    It's even heavier than the iSlab 11 Pro Max which is probably THE heaviest mainstream phone to date.

At the same time, the F(x) team has GOT to have thought of this.
    I’m stuck with two KEYones that can’t access WFC on AT&T so I haven’t got any solutions. That’s why I’m learning to do my best on my XR as I don’t see PKB anything in the future that I can use. I get it though. OEMs need additional profits to justify and the reward isn’t there for the risk.
    11-08-19 10:41 AM
    ... spending the $699 for the Pro 1 which we have no idea how it's gonna feel typing on it.

I used to use horizontal Android sliders back it the day and had *very* similar worries when I was forced into using the BlackBerry way of dealing with PKBs :-)

With horizontal designs, it is way easier to get the weight distribution right, allowing for easier implementation of hardware features while retaining a sweet weight balance for long typing sessions. This is more imortant than the weight itself imo.
    Thumb reach: I'm gloves size 10 (EU sizes) which translates to M-L I guess. After using Q10, PRIV and now the Key2, BlackBerry keyboard width still feels a bit cramped to me. I didn't have to fully stretch my thumbs in order to reach for the keys in the middle on horizontal designs, not at all, and still had a good amount of reserve travel for even wider keyboards. They were a lot easier to hold while typing.
    Composing was easier, too with the full computer keyboard layout at hand.
    That said I'm looking forward to seeing how the F1 will do in the market while enjoying my Key2 (if it wasn't for the "P" key being a bit of a hit or miss depending on the angle I hit it from.
    11-10-19 04:59 AM
    I used to use horizontal Android sliders back it the day and had *very* similar worries when I was forced into using the BlackBerry way of dealing with PKBs :-)

With horizontal designs, it is way easier to get the weight distribution right, allowing for easier implementation of hardware features while retaining a sweet weight balance for long typing sessions. This is more imortant than the weight itself imo.
    Thumb reach: I'm gloves size 10 (EU sizes) which translates to M-L I guess. After using Q10, PRIV and now the Key2, BlackBerry keyboard width still feels a bit cramped to me. I didn't have to fully stretch my thumbs in order to reach for the keys in the middle on horizontal designs, not at all, and still had a good amount of reserve travel for even wider keyboards. They were a lot easier to hold while typing.
    Composing was easier, too with the full computer keyboard layout at hand.
    That said I'm looking forward to seeing how the F1 will do in the market while enjoying my Key2 (if it wasn't for the "P" key being a bit of a hit or miss depending on the angle I hit it from.
    But the landscape sliders of yesteryear aren't even close to being as large or heavy as the F(x) Tec Pro 1...
    11-10-19 04:14 PM
    But the landscape sliders of yesteryear aren't even close to being as large or heavy as the F(x) Tec Pro 1...
    Absolutely true! Yet I still believe I had enough wiggle room back then to compensate for the size and weight of today's phones. Tbh, sliders back than didn't feel as if they had any weight at all
    Pretty sure that the Pro 1 would feel pretty comfy compared to, say, a PRIV. Balance/weight distribution is worth so much more in terms of comfort while holding/typing than shaving off some weight imo.
    On the Key2 I'm using a vertical flip case made of leather to have it's lid (attached to the bottom) as a counterweight. Naked, the Key2 is too top-heavy for my taste. With the case's front cover between my middle- and ring fingers, I can stabilize the thing and find a comfy and secure holding position that helps avoid crampy fingers during longer typing or typing on the go. It's bigger and heavier but better balanced.
    the_boon likes this.
    11-10-19 04:50 PM
    Just curious, how do you know their sales numbers?
    11-12-19 02:06 PM
54 123